AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 41 36.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 41.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 11.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.88%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.88%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-12, 16:36   Link #101
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Hah, as expected!d A comprehensive and much interesting response

And personally, I very much understand their fear of opening the doors to their culture to people of other countries, not knowing what their responses will be. That's a normal thing to do, and the Otaku/Otaku culture won't be the first or the last to try to shield themselves from foreign influence. However, I don't think that most of us would >ever< like to see a Hollywood-based adaptation of anime, or even the gross and perverted anime-wannabes that are popping up like mushrooms in old socks. Hell, we even tend to marginalize Anime series that are too 'americanized', what would happen if they came up with "Superfriends in Tokyo"?

In my case, I've always been amazed by japanese entertainment. And I do mean always, because I know for a fact that from the moment I could walk, I was already swinging a stick around and saying I was a samurai. It's something that was always there - tokusatsu, couple of anime series here and there. It wasn't something that happened very often, though, since the amount of material wasn't enough to reach out to a lot of kids my age, and so I always felt a little out-of-place. Of course nowadays you can get Anime almost everywhere, and it's not uncommon to see kids yelling "Kamehameha" at eachother. But as I grew up, so did my interest for Japanese culture. In fact, if I hadn't met my nemesis ( the computer ), I would probably be speaking Japanese and have a vast knowledge of History and culture. But oh well, at least now I have people to ask this stuff.

And personally, I didn't know Light Novels weren't all that popular among the grown-ups. I remember seeing a couple of articles on how a large number of housewifes were going to a certain district of Akiba ( I think it was Akiba, but correct me if I'm wrong. ) to buy Yaoi/shounen-ai novels, doujins and stuff of the sort, so that might have given me a wrong impression .

And I do feel sorry for the country girl from Takeshima. I probably have a worse taste for art, music and the ancients than her dog does. But at least I can use crayons effectively. - Insert Kona-chan's "ok" here. - But from personal experience, Japanese girls aren't the only ones who fantasize about other places. A lot of the otaku girls back in my country did, too, and the lack of information, news and cultural knowledge of Japan eventually got some of them into thinking it was this Magical place where you were bound to encounter samurai fighting on the streets and people carrying Katanas into Kendo training, among other things. And really, you tend to deviate a lot from reality if you don't pay a lot of attention to where you're standing.

Quote:
I'm sure every single otaku in Japan would love to see more Patties visiting Japan. Yeah the big boobies helped too. ^^;
I'd love to see more Patties visiting Florida. But I guess they need the breasts a little more there than we do here, right? Still, I think we need more girls joining the otaku fandom as a whole. Anime is still dominantly intended for males, so I guess that's a bit of a turn-off to some of them who're inclined, but lack the conviction to go all-out into anime fanbo-.. fangirlism? Is that even a word? Oh well.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-12, 18:36   Link #102
Meophist

All of this reminds me of the video game industry, and if you really think about it, the Japanese video game industry and the Japanese anime industry aren't all that different.
Old 2007-09-12, 20:41   Link #103
BPHaru

Dows somebody knows what is the song in the ending?
I know that I have listened to it before in some game or something, but I don't remember where.

Saludos, Haru
Old 2007-09-12, 20:55   Link #104
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
I know that I have listened to it before in some game or something, but I don't remember where.

Saludos, Haru
It's the cheesy battle music from the SHnY movie in episode 1.
Old 2007-09-12, 21:16   Link #105
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post

Saludos, Haru
It's an original piece written by Shiraishi called "ミクル変身!そして戦闘" or "Mikuru Henshin! And then Battle!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
All of this reminds me of the video game industry, and if you really think about it, the Japanese video game industry and the Japanese anime industry aren't all that different.
The fate of the Japanese video industry with many software houses having to write games catering to Western audience is exactly why the otakus are panicking. It hasn't happen yet, but I do worry about the prerogatives of the racist Hollywood execs who would have zero respect for anything Japanese for the sake of profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
Add that to the fact that the Japanese PM resigned yesterday and I have plenty of interesting research to come~
All Hail Rozen Aso! May Shinku Lead Japan to world domination!

BTW the Japanese press just reported that the stock of all major manga publishing houses jumped after Abe's resignation. Rule of the Otaku is upon us! Soon Hina-Ichigo will be on the Thousand Yen Bill.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-12 at 21:29.
Old 2007-09-12, 22:05   Link #106
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:

BTW the Japanese press just reported that the stock of all major manga publishing houses jumped after Abe's resignation. Rule of the Otaku is upon us! Soon Hina-Ichigo will be on the Thousand Yen Bill.

I'm dying for one of those

And we're really going off-topic in here, aren't we?

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-12, 22:11   Link #107
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
I'd love to see more Patties visiting Florida.
I second this enthusiastically.
Old 2007-09-12, 22:22   Link #108
Psycho Power J
Taking in Life's hits

Spoiler for saving space:
I guess that's half-true for us. I used to see the hot water dispensers everywhere back in the Philippines, but rarely do here in the US. We do have a rice cooker, but I don't think we ever missed having a dispenser since we could always heat water in the microwave. But I think my cousins have one and I see them in offices every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
wait a minute...

So Sodom/Katana from Final Fight/ SF Alpha Series(that was beaten the hell out of Guy) can be compared to her attitude in a sense... XD

Either way she's one with the OUTLAWS!!! New team outlaw Konata, Patty and Hiyorin.
LOL I keep remembering Sodom's hilarious dialogues. I can kinda see the similarity with Patty.

I'm not sure about the international camaraderie of otakus, but I've got to say that I love seeing the otaku trio together. Their interaction is quite a contrast to the "normals." They really should have been introduced earlier.
Quote:
http://www.kidoutenshi.net/random/1182900642035.jpg

I'm dying for one of those

And we're really going off-topic in here, aren't we?
Maybe, but I want one of those too.
Old 2007-09-12, 23:06   Link #109
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Donbei Fun

To commemorate the bitter failure of Izumi Soujirou's attempt at a wonderful midnight snacking of Kitsune Donbei, I went out today and got meself a cart load of Nissin Donbei - the regular Kansai version Kitsune, Super-sized Kitsune, Tempura Udon, and Tempura soba versions. I'm going to ease Soujirou's pain by making a successfully bowl of Kitsune Donbei in his name. First I make sure my trusty Zojirushi hot water dispenser is filled with filtered water, because I will NOT suffer his pain, being fooled by a man's own appliance. After 5 minutes of agonizing wait, success! The thick, white udon noodles, although not exactly the real thing, is easily one of the best instant noodle ever made. The soft, sweet, chewy Kitsune, very close to the real thing! Can't believe I make all this in 5 minutes. This is easily the best midnight snack a man can get, except when the man's wife ate half of it. But Soujirou! Your suffering isn't for vain! I have avenged you!

For those who never knew the joy of the Kitsune Donbei, a Japanese favorite since the 70's, here a photo of it. Go buy it for Soujirou!

If you've never made an instant noodle, here's a youtube video showing you exactly how to prepare and enjoy a Kansai Kitsune Donbei. Learn and repeat!

Spoiler for Unhide to view Donbei Video:

Oh the things I do for Lucky Star... weekly purchase of Choco Cronet and Pocky, and now Donbei. Damn you KyoAni!

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-12 at 23:18.
Old 2007-09-12, 23:47   Link #110
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Hahaha, know what? I actually do feel like going out to get myself some real Ramen after this excited post. Perhaps I'll look for a Japanese market around here, although there aren't probably very many. But oh, come on. You guys do live the good life, don't you? I never had the chance of eating pocky... Kagamisama and Suiseiseki-chan eat it all the time... Why do I must endure this suffering?

Spoiler for For 4chan random yet funny crap:

And oh jebus... That Ramen actually does look pretty good. Sucks it's that time of the night when I can't even breathe without waking up half of the household... otherwise I'd go cook some Western/tasteless brick ramen just to pay tribute to Soujirou-san.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the international camaraderie of otakus, but I've got to say that I love seeing the otaku trio together. Their interaction is quite a contrast to the "normals." They really should have been introduced earlier.
Agree completely... I think we would have had a lot of memorable moments had the three of them spent more time together throughout the series. I mean, seriously... Kona+Patty+Hiyorin would mean no anime would be left untouched without having its fair share of jabs and... and... (I've been trying to find the word I'm looking for for three minutes now, if any of that matters... ) oh! yes, references and what-not. It would've been amazing, that's all I can tell.

Quote:
This is easily the best midnight snack a man can get, except when the man's wife ate half of it. But Soujirou! Your suffering isn't for vain! I have avenged you!
* Sobs * Enjoy your wife getting half of your snack! I'm sure Soujirou-san would give up on every bit of moe in the world to be able to share a bowl of late-night ramen with Kanata!

<- Okay, we're all starting to sound really creepy. Perhaps a little break is needed...

Old 2007-09-12, 23:55   Link #111
Psycho Power J
Taking in Life's hits

Ahh, I miss those. Just seeing that video makes me want a bowl of Kitsune udon. I think I'll get some the next time I'm at the Asian store. Hopefully they'll have a Nissin Donbei since they don't always have it. But even other brands beats a Maruchan instant noodle anyday. Those just taste terrible.
Old 2007-09-13, 01:28   Link #112
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They sell hot water dispensers here in the States but the most common ones are sold to be installed in sinks as permament features.
We bought a two liter insta-heater dispenser that I installed in our kitchen sink. It is the absolute hit of the household and unlike those tabletop units, it is connected to the water supply and never "runs out".
Old 2007-09-13, 02:45   Link #113
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post

Please pardon the off-topicness again. Japan's Head Otaku is set to become Japan's Head Man, for real. While his promotion of manga culture is welcome, his erm, hawkish views regarding certain "aggressive neighbours" certainly leaves a lot to be desired, and those said neighbours happen to be one of the largest foreign consumers of Japan's manga industry, if you think about it. It's still too early to say Rozen Aso would take over, but we'll wait and see.
Old 2007-09-13, 04:14   Link #114
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Ah sorry for my comments..i completely forgotten that Minami Iwasaki and Yuki Nagato shared the same seiyuu -_-

Quote:
Soon Hina-Ichigo will be on the Thousand Yen Bill.

I thought that's Suiseiseki on the bill?

Well i rather hope they putting Kagami on the thousand yen bill instead of RM dolls..
Old 2007-09-13, 08:48   Link #115
Calawain
Gaijin

Hah, I had no idea Taro Aso was a manga fan, that's pretty funny. However I wouldn't get too excited. In most Parliamentary systems, when a PM is replaced without a general election for the electing body (in Japan's case the lower house) his ability to govern and maintain power is fairly weak. They usually end up dissolving the government and calling for new elections (kind of like Putin did this week!). Kind of off topic, but hey LS was talking about elections a couple of episodes ago and its affects on the interruption of anime!
Old 2007-09-13, 09:23   Link #116
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Go buy it for Soujirou!
Quote:
Hahaha, know what? I actually do feel like going out to get myself some real Ramen after this excited post. Perhaps I'll look for a Japanese market around here, although there aren't probably very many. But oh, come on. You guys do live the good life, don't you? I never had the chance of eating pocky... Kagamisama and Suiseiseki-chan eat it all the time... Why do I must endure this suffering?
Might I recommend AsianFoodGrocer.com to those folks lacking a good local Asian market? I lack a good Japanese market, myself (we have EVERYTHING international here--from Filipino to Korean to El Salvadorian--except for Japanese!). I made my first order from there after another forum-ite had good things to say about the site, and you can get quite a bit without exceeding the not-quite-US$5 for ground shipping across the US.

Yesterday afternoon, I just purchased bought some Nissin noodle cups: kitsune udon, shoyu ramen, tempura soba, yakisoba, and salt ramen. Remember, folks: When buying Japanese noodles, buy the Japanese manufactured ones! Just because another country's product has the same brand name, it doesn't mean it's the same noodle! ZS, you can also find Pocky there, as well as a ton of other things (I also bought some sweet bread, as well as sweet rice flour and azuki beans for making daifuku and taiyaki--ok, not really taiyaki, since I don't have a sea-breem shaped pan.) It'll take four business days to get to me, though. Oh, what a tragic wait!

I'll have to boil water the old fashioned way, though. What a trial! At least the tap at work has a built-in heater (well, it would be good if the water here was potable). I miss my old dorm, where the hot water straight from the tap was near boiling.
Old 2007-09-13, 09:27   Link #117
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
Hah, I had no idea Taro Aso was a manga fan, that's pretty funny. However I wouldn't get too excited. In most Parliamentary systems, when a PM is replaced without a general election for the electing body (in Japan's case the lower house) his ability to govern and maintain power is fairly weak. They usually end up dissolving the government and calling for new elections (kind of like Putin did this week!). Kind of off topic, but hey LS was talking about elections a couple of episodes ago and its affects on the interruption of anime!
Spoiler for Off-topic:
Old 2007-09-13, 10:28   Link #118
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

@Kyuusai-san:

My eyes are wet and I have a smile that beats the limits of my face. Really, really thank you for this early birthday present! I'll make myself a lifetime order of Pocky and experience the same joy Kagamisama does all the time! Cookies your way.

And although I'm not really versed with Japanese politics, if I remember corectly, didn't Taro Aso say something along the lines of "Japan will conquer the world through Anime", or am I fantasizing? Maybe not in those words... but oh well, bring it on, Taro-san. So that's the reason Manga/Anime studio stocks went higher, huh? The world is pretty interesting, after all.

Old 2007-09-13, 12:02   Link #119
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Sorry I'm a bit late and invading the thread again, but when I want to make some ramen and I'm on the go, I plug in the never-has-made-coffee-before coffee maker. The water comes out pipin' hot and I just pour it in the bowl of noodles and cover them up. In a few minutes they're cooked. It's cheaper than buying a water heater and it works just as well.

That said, there are two coffee makers in my home; one for making coffee, and one for making noodles.
Old 2007-09-13, 12:30   Link #120
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I put water in a pot and put the pot over an open flame. Is that weird?
Closed Thread