AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-03-05, 07:53   Link #41
Random32
Also a Lolicon

It's not the OS, it's the platform. It's not getting people used to Metro, it's giving Metro enough marketshare to be a competitive platform.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 21:33   Link #42
Zefris

Hurrah to big humongous "tiles" to click on. -_-

Do people even use tablets all that much? I've had one for half a year already, and the only time I've used it is to read some articles or look up someone while on my ps3, which isn't often.
Zefris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 22:03   Link #43
Random32
Also a Lolicon

The average user has no use for a tablet. That won't stop people from trying to convince them that they do, at I think its working sort of. People are definitely buying tablets, but I don't think many are using them. Tablets have some advantages like "instant on," but that's what sleep mode is for in real computers.

There are some specific professions where a tablet is legitimately useful, but most of the people who work them use traditional tablets like the Thinkpad X220T, Fujitsu T901, etc. anyways.
Old 2012-03-05, 22:13   Link #44
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefris View Post
Hurrah to big humongous "tiles" to click on. -_-

Do people even use tablets all that much? I've had one for half a year already, and the only time I've used it is to read some articles or look up someone while on my ps3, which isn't often.
I only use my tablet (I own a first generation iPad) when I'm browsing the internet when I don't want to take out my laptop or bring it with me. Also, I use it as an e-reader and it gives a much better reading experience rather than reading it on the computer. While most people won't have much use if they have a laptop, it's certainly more convenient if you on the go and only need to do basic tasks such as reading email, surfing the internet, reading e-books, and such without carrying a heavy laptop and have a long battery life...

Still, I spend more time on my laptop since I can do a lot more on it and of course, blogging on it isn't optimal since you can't upload pictures though the web browser.
Old 2012-03-06, 13:57   Link #45
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i was reading reviews of win8 on other sites and notice that Microsoft is spending a lot of money hiring people to post on the comment section.

Microsoft need to pull a apple and beg Bill Gates to come back. Balmer is complete idiot.
Old 2012-03-06, 15:57   Link #46
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i was reading reviews of win8 on other sites and notice that Microsoft is spending a lot of money hiring people to post on the comment section.
That's usually illegal, assuming it's true.
Old 2012-03-06, 16:20   Link #47
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
That's usually illegal, assuming it's true.
you can tell by the 1 out of 10 user who gush over the win8 feature or who tells the other posters they just don't get how good win 8 is.
Old 2012-03-06, 16:35   Link #48
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I doubt any of those posters are getting paid. If you think they are getting paid, they are doing a terrible job at shilling. Those idiots are just fanboys.
Old 2012-03-06, 16:39   Link #49
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I doubt any of those posters are getting paid. If you think they are getting paid, they are doing a terrible job at shilling. Those idiots are just fanboys.
Didn't realize Microsoft has fanboys
Old 2012-03-06, 16:50   Link #50
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Microsoft has fanboys. Maybe it's not a religion like Apple is, but it definitely has its fair share of fanboys.
Old 2012-03-06, 19:48   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I figure its most practical to hate all the operating systems and their user interfaces... they all have weak points, derpiness, or annoyances of some kind
Old 2012-03-06, 20:53   Link #52
Zefris

*nods* I've tried spicing up my interface a few times for the change, but the only thing I've been able to do was get rid of things I know I'll never use. -_-;;
Zefris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 04:48   Link #53
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

It seems they are working hard on following the Microsoft law, which states that every second Windows OS is a disaster.
Win7 was good...
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 15:49   Link #54
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
It seems they are working hard on following the Microsoft law, which states that every second Windows OS is a disaster.
Win7 was good...
so we should just wait for the next Windows OS then
Old 2012-03-08, 16:08   Link #55
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
so we should just wait for the next Windows OS then
Or... you could use whatever OS already works for you right now. I mean it's an "operating" system, not a wallpaper. Being the latest doesn't mean much; especially for the first year when a lot of things won't even be tested against it.
Old 2012-03-08, 16:20   Link #56
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Or... you could use whatever OS already works for you right now. I mean it's an "operating" system, not a wallpaper. Being the latest doesn't mean much; especially for the first year when a lot of things won't even be tested against it.
or go back to a older one

*looks at his Vista to XP upgraded Laptop.
Old 2012-03-09, 22:23   Link #57
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
True. The Metro UI on phones has been doing *very* poorly, not only being butt-ugly, but also not having a very good usability, not even on a touch-operated device. That's why no one wants it, and that's why MS is now forcing it onto the desktop, even if it has absolutely no place there, and intending to shove it down the throat of every Windows user - in the hope that people wil get used to their retarded "Metro" child, and then as a consequence they hope people will finally start buying their damn Windows phone with Metro UI.
Sorry but do you have evidence to back this up? I know that Windows phones have been doing badly, but I attribute it to their lack of apps in their app store, not the "bad" metro UI. I frequent a lot of Apple/Mac forums and most Apple fans/people with iPhones prefer Metro to Android and claim that Metro is just as smooth if not more so than iOS 5. The responses I've been reading in threads discussing Windows phones is that the majority of people really like the design and how smooth the OS is, but there's not enough apps or they're too entrenched in their current ecosystem to warrant a switch.

Certainly I'm sure many individuals hate the Metro look on phones, but according to my own observations and articles I've read, it seems that the majority of people like it and sales are suffering only because Microsoft was late to the game and their App store doesn't offer much.
Old 2012-03-10, 00:26   Link #58
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Sorry but do you have evidence to back this up? I know that Windows phones have been doing badly, but I attribute it to their lack of apps in their app store, not the "bad" metro UI.
Windows phones have done badly because many of the reviews on various phones that use it have had performance and stability complaints. That isn't to say the problems haven't been fixed but there were a lot of early bad impressions.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...may_just_hate/
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/417..._recommend_it/

There are people who like the concept though -
http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/sup...handset-141457
Old 2012-03-10, 03:13   Link #59
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
What I don't understand is why Nokia dumped the gorgeous, original and one-of-a-kind MeeGo Harmattan OS for Windows Phail 7.

My beef with WP7 is the same as it is with iOS. It's locked down tight. I want to tinker with my small computer just as much as I do with my big computer, and locked bootloaders and closed-source OSes don't let me do that.

Which is funny, because Windows 7 is closed-source and commercial yet I can do a surprising amount of tweaking. I had administrative access out of the box. Why are smartphones any different?

Edit: Though to be perfectly honest my phone is a Galaxy Nexus, so while it wasn't rooted out of the box, a quick "fastboot oem unlock" solves that problem... but even in Windows 7, I did not have to unlock a bootloader or copy special system files in order to gain root access.
Old 2012-03-10, 19:59   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
What I don't understand is why Nokia dumped the gorgeous, original and one-of-a-kind MeeGo Harmattan OS for Windows Phail 7.
As I recall, Nokia hired an MS VP into their fold and then Nokia's guy played golf with their guy and the deal was set.

Frankly, it looked like one of those deals where the execs profited more than whether it was actually a good fit for the two companies or not. No one objected to Win7 being part of the mix, but the shutdown of the other OSs was not received well by Nokia watchers.