AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-10-10, 04:23   Link #1
wao
OK.

Niconico Douga / ニコニコ動画

A portion of the forum keeps talking about it here and there but it's been around for more than a few months and has become so popular that I think it's about time there was a thread just about this. I hope this is fine by the mods and I don't get blastinated for making a topic...

Spoiler for Information about the site:

But I really wanted to start a thread because right now it's down for upgrading from version RC to RC2, and I read this pdf about the new features. There's some serious additions, about as big as the the time they added a paid service. For example, they now allow the video creator to delete comments off their video, block comments containing a certain word or even block certain users from writing comments. This is a huge change! I don't think I can get used to it yet.

More importantly I read that they're planning on releasing a Taiwanese version of the site on the 19th of October. WTF?! Is it going to work? Is it going to get flamed and spammed to no end? It's very interesting but I wonder how well it'll work, honestly... and whether the Niconico model will work when expanded to a much larger audience, especially since IMO the Japanese internet users tended to be rather separated from a good part of the world due to language barriers.

I'm also very interested in how some Japanese companies are taking interest in really partnering with the site to provide streaming contents rather than going on ZOMG COPYRIGHT VIOLATION DELETEZ0R blitzes. Already one current (?) anime, Saishuu Shiken Kujira, is being legally aired on Niconico. But adding onto the fact that
a. the site can support long and relatively good-quality videos
b. the comments make it very fun to watch
c. people are more likely to respond by creating fan-made parodies/videos/etc
d. it's becoming harder to air certain things on TV (...maybe?)
I think it only makes sense to let more anime be legally aired on Niconico. Already every new episode of anime seems to get uploaded there illegally anyway... And I've always hoped for an internationally-accessible anime streaming site, all the better if it's got fun comments. So I'm looking forward to see how this develops. (although considering there were all those problems with Youtube, I wonder why they get all enthusiastic when it's a Japanese site...)

I'm sure other people on this forum do watch videos on the site, so does anyone have anything to say about it? Even if it's not about the upgrade. I want to talk about it, but in English!

EDIT: By the time I finished typing it had finished upgrading. LOL. BRB, I'm going to see how it works out!
Old 2007-10-10, 04:33   Link #2
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
I love the Moontube.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 04:56   Link #3
cyth
Banned

While I love the site content, I dislike one or two of its technical issues. First, the low-quality flag that's raised for non-premium users when there are traffic overhauls. In those times the video turns to pixelated mush and audio to something crappier than 96 kbps mp3 (oh, the horrors watching IM@S videos in that D|). And second is the fact that foreign credit card accounts (not even Visa's, MasterCard's) cannot be used for paying the premium service, which guarantees you fast, dedicated streaming without the low-quality flag. Yes, it's the kind of service I'd gladly pay for... but can't. ;-; The video loading times are that annoying sometimes, yes.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 05:11   Link #4
wao
OK.

Oh yeah, I really hate that Economy mode thing - I might as well watch the videos on Youtube rather than watch videos in that mode. And they always take longer to load for me. Some things are just unwatchable... it's fine if it's time-based but it was frustrating when they had it on the whole day on Saturdays and Sundays. The only thing I watch is Dennou Coil on Saturday evenings and it's a matter of loading it as soon as it's uploaded because 10 minutes later it becomes premium mode, and the worst is when it loads halfway and then stops. -_- Does it really reduce the server load that much?

I have a friend who got completely hooked onto the site but is similarly annoyed at the fact that it doesn't accept foreign credit cards so he could sign up as a premium member for a month just to try out. If they intend to expand this overseas I hope they fix this. Not like I can pay for it just yet...
Old 2007-10-10, 07:47   Link #5
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I'm also very interested in how some Japanese companies are taking interest in really partnering with the site to provide streaming contents rather than going on ZOMG COPYRIGHT VIOLATION DELETEZ0R blitzes. Already one current (?) anime, Saishuu Shiken Kujira, is being legally aired on Niconico. But adding onto the fact that
a. the site can support long and relatively good-quality videos
b. the comments make it very fun to watch
c. people are more likely to respond by creating fan-made parodies/videos/etc
d. it's becoming harder to air certain things on TV (...maybe?)
I think it only makes sense to let more anime be legally aired on Niconico. Already every new episode of anime seems to get uploaded there illegally anyway... And I've always hoped for an internationally-accessible anime streaming site, all the better if it's got fun comments. So I'm looking forward to see how this develops. (although considering there were all those problems with Youtube, I wonder why they get all enthusiastic when it's a Japanese site...)
I had thought of starting a thread myself, but it is exactly this issue that I was hesitant to do so. It is indeed a thorny issue. My take is that some of the studios probably turn a blind eye on it if the upload of raws help them advertise their work for free.

Apart from that, yes, it's definitely a fun thing to have a niconico account. The quality is so much better than YouTube and the comments system makes it feels as though you're watching with a lot of people, thus accurately getting the sentiment of the majority of viewers.

My account no. is 12*****. Back when I registered in April, there was a limit on the number of users that were allowed to access on all times to save bandwidth. That limit was between user accounts 0-1000000. So it was frustrating trying to wait for the right time to get in (usually after midnight).

It wasn't until a few months later that they expanded the limit so now my account falls within this range, and since then, there's no turning back.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 08:22   Link #6
Chama

How to: Nico Nico

The login screen of Nico Nico is filled with Japanese characters.
Following page are useful to know about account making and login.

How to: Nico Nico ^_^
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 08:23   Link #7
guess

So anyone can overlay commments on the video, huh? Never use it but does that mean you can overlay subtitles so to fansub it? This could be the fastest way to fansub anime, although I have no idea how fast the raw comes out on this site.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:05   Link #8
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
So anyone can overlay commments on the video, huh? Never use it but does that mean you can overlay subtitles so to fansub it? This could be the fastest way to fansub anime, although I have no idea how fast the raw comes out on this site.
Yes. You commonly see lyrics and translations and other things related to the audio pasted on videos everywhere. Or just a lot of people screaming the same thing at one time till you can't see the video screen. There's a similar service at this site called jimaku.in, where some people added Japanese subtitles to youtube videos or something I think. This would, as you say, be the fastest way to fansub anime but it's not reliable until they offer an option to let the owner lock publicly-viewable comments such that they can't get overlaid with other comments or disappear over time. And the problem is you won't know who's doing it.

The raws there can be pretty fast compared to Some Methods especially for Less Appreciated Shows, but I won't go into too much detail...

@Chama: Wow! Thanks so much for that link - there's actually a blog out there talking about all the "niconico neta". This is definitely something I'm saving to my bookmarks so I can share it with other people who don't get them initially. *subscribes*

@Kinny Riddle: Yeah, I find it so strange when the exact same clips will get deleted off Youtube in the blink of an eye but they stay so long on Niconico douga, and in pretty awesome quality without being split up too. Well, I won't comment on any possibility of double standards but just embrace it as a Good Thing and hope even more hard-headed studios like Sunrise/Bandai (when it comes to copyright matters) will eventually tie up with Dwango or something. Seeing multiple copies of Gundam00 populating the rankings list the day it airs I know that whatever anyone says, this trend isn't going to stop just like that.
(I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here)

So with you on the "no turning back" thing though. It's such a huge waste of time but it's addictive. I hardly watch Youtube now. I remember nearly skipping when I got 24h access, although I'm still a relatively new number (45****) I wasn't there during the so-called legendary Beta period and all

Some people complain about how the site is now overrun with stupid kids who don't know quality and will blindly "engineer" any bland and fan-pandering moe thing to the rankings but hey, I'm so used to seeing that all over the net that I just ignore half of them (but there's some pretty hilarious stuff there sometimes, in recent memory there was that Let's Go Kusuriuri MAD and earlier the Death Note x Sazae-san parody.)
Evidently I spend way too much time on this. In before "lol weeaboo".
Old 2007-10-11, 19:41   Link #9
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
While waiting for RC2...
This one is a good one related to nico XD:
【U.S.A.】YouTube VS ニコニコ動画【Japan】

blew,isn't youtube is created by a taiwanese?
Old 2007-10-11, 21:34   Link #10
Rembr

It's awesome.
What's the member number at these days? The limit's still placed at 2000000 isn't it?
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 00:34   Link #11
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
RC2 is up now!
Well,the new intreface is with a bit of english.And it is look cleaner than RC.
Homepage! (With my account and lolifox)

Random God Know clicked:
Old 2007-10-12, 11:37   Link #12
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Until someone posts a file just for the purpose of subbing, please, for the love of god, do not go around subtitling random nico nico douga files in english.

Otherwise, You'll see nothing but angry irritated Japanese comments scroll across the screen telling all gaijin that spam english to burn in the bottom of hell.
Old 2007-10-12, 11:43   Link #13
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Until someone posts a file just for the purpose of subbing, please, for the love of god, do not go around subtitling random nico nico douga files in english.

Otherwise, You'll see nothing but angry irritated Japanese comments scroll across the screen telling all gaijin that spam english to burn in the bottom of hell.
True. Just look at 2ch Saimoe to see how some (NOT ALL, let me emphasize) are hostile to gaijins. The only thing that a foreign niconico user can post safely without attracting any attention is "www"(multiple "w"s). This is the Japanese equivalent to "lol" or "roflmao". "w" stands for "warai", which means "laugh".
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 11:53   Link #14
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
True. Just look at 2ch Saimoe to see how some (NOT ALL, let me emphasize) are hostile to gaijins. The only thing that a foreign niconico user can post safely without attracting any attention is "www"(multiple "w"s). This is the Japanese equivalent to "lol" or "roflmao". "w" stands for "warai", which means "laugh".
Well, yeah... Nico nico douga is NOT meant to be international, it's aimed for the Japanese audience. So having illegible unreadable comments spam across the screen is going to annoy the people watching them. Nico nico isn't youtube.

One or two comments may be fine, but spamming the entire episodes with unwanted subtitles is, well, unwanted.
Old 2007-10-12, 13:56   Link #15
i8o
のヮの

the video that have comments almost in english

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm240566
http://nicopon.jp/video/player/sm240566
Fox 11 News - Anonymous
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm719083
http://nicopon.jp/video/player/sm719083
i8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 16:33   Link #16
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
^ Those are 4chan invasions

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 21:16   Link #17
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Well, yeah... Nico nico douga is NOT meant to be international, it's aimed for the Japanese audience. So having illegible unreadable comments spam across the screen is going to annoy the people watching them. Nico nico isn't youtube.

One or two comments may be fine, but spamming the entire episodes with unwanted subtitles is, well, unwanted.
Yeah, I always found it very weird and impolite when people put weird subtitles there and honestly noone cares. Exceptions are if it's like... a language learning program or someone wants lyrics to an English song. It's not like I hate foreigners getting into nicovideo - that's ridiculously hypocritical, considering I've introduced it to a handful of people - but it's just... painful.

Nearly all of my comments are completely innocuous and don't seem to look recognizably foreign (just simple sentences or "作者 GJ" or wwwww or something) so thank goodness for that, I was really afraid of posting comments at first.

Either way I'm glad that there still isn't too much in the way of unwanted foreign comments (there's more than enough of Japanese spam/flaming comments anyway). I guess the Japanese interface is what's blocking most foreigners from easily accessing the site, not the signup restrictions. However I'm still ambivalent about niconico having overseas versions - it's a great idea and I can't say I wouldn't want to see international versions of it, but niconico itself? I dunno, some part of me is just kinda worried whether the way of doing things will translate well into other cultures.
Old 2007-10-13, 01:22   Link #18
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8o View Post
the video that have comments almost in english

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm240566
http://nicopon.jp/video/player/sm240566
Fox 11 News - Anonymous
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm719083
http://nicopon.jp/video/player/sm719083
Whooooo Rick Astley, Love This Guy! It's odd because I was just listening to this song on Youtube the other night for the first time in ages. There's basically this curse (if you can call it that) that what ever old 80's song they never play on the radio anymore I listen to on my own time, will suddenly pop up everywhere I go. Can do without the pointless comments though, but isn't this more or less what most Niconico videos are like, pointless comments.

All I know are three things about the new Niconico

1. It's buffers a hell of a lot faster now
2. I now finally know what all the wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww~ comments mean
3. I could care less about what some of the Japanese users think about me for being white, I'll still browse the website just as I please and if they want to freak out like small children than that will speak of their character.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 09:42   Link #19
Area88

Anyone able to create myself an account since my browser doesn't seem to allow it.

I've tried following the guides, a simple PM of an account would be awesome.

I have some rare anime I want to watch and expose others too including ppl on this forum.
Area88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 02:35   Link #20
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
All I know are three things about the new Niconico

1. It's buffers a hell of a lot faster now
Really?! Half of the videos I try to watch - even if they're not popular ones - keep timing out on me! It's so frustrating... Load, dammit They were perfectly fine before the RC2 upgrade as well. This is the 20th time I'm trying to load this video and it still times out...

Quote:
3. I could care less about what some of the Japanese users think about me for being white, I'll still browse the website just as I please and if they want to freak out like small children than that will speak of their character.
I don't think they care about you being white, it's just when really stupid comments happen then it's a problem. Nobody knows or cares who's watching the videos...

Area88: What do you mean your browser won't allow it? That's weird.

Tags
video