Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-09-27, 01:01   Link #341
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Why do people keep getting out of their mechs? The whole hiding and close combat reminded me of Char vs Amuro lol.

Also I think we're kinda overdoing it on the decorations Shingetsu

I guess not.

And then she gets a ponytail at the end.... okay I guess. Well, good luck to everyone that's still alive (RIP Anna). And don't get too weird around Mangetsu, Shingetsu.

It was a fun ride and I think this one hit most of the buttons needed. The final battle could have been better but the conclusion did well.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 03:11   Link #342
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

OK. I was wrong.
Spoiler for Ending:

Also, props to Yuuki Aoi for superb voice acting here.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 04:33   Link #343
alt_account

After watching the episode a second time, the ending is conclusively positive, but still pretty confusing.

The final shot in the episode is of school courtyard flowers blooming, which Shingetsu had earlier tried making bloom with magic with no response. This combined with Shingetsu's smile hints strongly at Mangetsu returning via some form of 'miracle'.

The episode's title is "For the Only Two of Their Kind in the World". This seems likely to tie in with the show's subtitle, "The Two Preceps". Did both Shingetsu + Mangetsu actually become Preceps? Are they normal, corporeal humans at the end, or are they effected by the fate of eternal isolated ambiguity Suishou described? Is magic truly gone, since those flowers ended up blooming?

Questions aside, Shingetsu's reactions to Mangetsu as a whole were extremely subdued. Both the realization that Mangetsu was not merely a mirror of her feelings, and the final reunion scene, did not pull as much emotional weight as they could have.

Ultimately the ending had some interesting elements but didn't quite meet my hopes. Aside from being vague/inconclusive, the characters are also too subdued to spur on speculation so although I had been considering putting money out for BDs of this series, it doesn't quite meet the bar in the end.
alt_account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 06:48   Link #344
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 13:

Enjoyed the intense battle between Ernesta and Suishou. Drosela Nocturne absorbs magical energy, so the way to beat it is to rip it apart - which Ernesta was able to do with the powerup from Mangetsu.

damn... but why go ahead and erase magic???? Kuon and Anna are permanently dead now.

sorry, Granbelm writers. You get none of my money. Was planning to buy items before watching this episode, but forget that now.

Still an 7/10 for a decent show.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 07:44   Link #345
devilo96

Well this series is not that bad...
My score 7.5/10
I mean yeah only nene ,the girl that got rekt in 1st that lucky...both of them still alive...kinda sad kuon also gone but her sister survive
devilo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 10:18   Link #346
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

wait what...kuon and anna are dead for good now....always thought they would come back, both their sisters dont even know they were there even....
Old 2019-09-27, 10:37   Link #347
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I really liked the show overall, but I'm disappointed with the ending. It's like "whatever". I thought there'd be some big reveal about Magiaconatus, but nope. So Shingetsu's existence was so linked with magic that after magic was erased, she basically ended up like Mangetsu in prior episodes, with no one being able to see her because her existence is unstable.

Confused how Kibou is still friends with Nenene in the new world when everybody's memories were rewritten so that Nenene looked like an adult all along. She was still super casual with her too.

The character I feel the saddest for is Kuon. She never got to be reunited with her sister.
Old 2019-09-27, 11:44   Link #348
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

Suishou's death is a reference to this:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

they really love their Gundam.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 12:32   Link #349
Wandering Soul

I'm glad they didn't go for a copout that allowed Shingetsu to bring everyone back, bar possibly Mangetsu. Overall I like that Shingetsu stuck to her goal and the consequences of it were mostly consistent.
Old 2019-09-27, 15:33   Link #350
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I'm glad they didn't go for a copout that allowed Shingetsu to bring everyone back, bar possibly Mangetsu. Overall I like that Shingetsu stuck to her goal and the consequences of it were mostly consistent.
That was not mangetsu, i think is other girl and that was the point, she was her own self love and love of the world

RIP Anna Dopamine and Kuon imotou, too good for grandbelm world

YouTube
That is grandbelm ending in a nutshell.

Remember when People complained Mangetsu would be too overpowered...well i think the traditional friend vs friend would have been better.

7.5/10, entretained me but that ending...
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 18:30   Link #351
Kitsu Breaker

Is a bittersweet but also very coherent to the history since keep the sacrifices without be idealist.
And the serie probably will be forgotten soon but at last we had less of the worse part

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 23:59   Link #352
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
they really love their Gundam.
Yeah, it has a good number of Gundam references:

Images
Old 2019-09-28, 01:04   Link #353
Applehell

Was pretty solid series overall even with it's hick ups here and there. Definitely a rather bittersweet ending as expected, but it is more hopefully than not I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Why do people keep getting out of their mechs? The whole hiding and close combat reminded me of Char vs Amuro lol.

Also I think we're kinda overdoing it on the decorations Shingetsu
Agreed, Shingetsu's new outfit really looked silly from the side.

Sadly it got nothing on Madoka's power up clothes which was both pretty cool and classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I really liked the show overall, but I'm disappointed with the ending. It's like "whatever". I thought there'd be some big reveal about Magiaconatus, but nope. So Shingetsu's existence was so linked with magic that after magic was erased, she basically ended up like Mangetsu in prior episodes, with no one being able to see her because her existence is unstable.

Confused how Kibou is still friends with Nenene in the new world when everybody's memories were rewritten so that Nenene looked like an adult all along. She was still super casual with her too.

The character I feel the saddest for is Kuon. She never got to be reunited with her sister.
I'm just surprised that they everyone who got erased remained that way a long with what happened to Shingetsu. I'm not even sure if the later makes sense since other mages who are also connected to magic are still around, just normal humans now. Maybe Shingetsu is different in this regard because she became a Pricept which made her personification of magic or something...
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-28, 10:46   Link #354
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah, it has a good number of Gundam references:

Images
The only thing I had noticed were Shingetsu's newtype flashes
Old 2019-09-28, 20:17   Link #355
MCAL

I'll never understand why writers ever think about going with ambiguous endings.

Well, after hearing how disappointing the ending was from around the internet, it was definitely not THAT bad. The only thing I really didn't get it thus: If the world was rewritten so that magic never existed, then why didn't Anna and Kuon come back, since their deaths and erasure were caused by magic in the first place?

I give the show a 7/10. I started watching it as just an appetizer to Re:Zero's Season 2, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought. Good show and may Yoko Hikasa and Aoi Yuuki rest their vocal chords for a season or two.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-28, 20:21   Link #356
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
I'll never understand why writers ever think about going with ambiguous endings.
I actually liked that. It got me thinking about it much more than if it was a perfectly clear-cut ending.

Quote:
Well, after hearing how disappointing the ending was from around the internet, it was definitely not THAT bad.
It was a good ending, all things considering.

Quote:
The only thing I really didn't get it thus: If the world was rewritten so that magic never existed, then why didn't Anna and Kuon come back, since their deaths and erasure were caused by magic in the first place?
It's not that the world was rewritten so that magic never existed. Magic was simply erased in the present time. That's why Kuon and Anna stayed dead.
Old 2019-09-28, 20:55   Link #357
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The only thing I had noticed were Shingetsu's newtype flashes
Same here.
Old 2019-09-28, 23:08   Link #358
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Yup, when I think of all the trouble stuff like Code theory caused, I wish they just wouldn't with that stuff.

Quote:
Well, after hearing how disappointing the ending was from around the internet, it was definitely not THAT bad.
Well, it was definitely an ending that fit the show, so it isn't bad, per say.

But when I remember that all the thousands of girls that were decieved into participating into the fraud that is Granbelm and ended up wasting their time at best and getting deleted from existence at worst, and how Magiaconatus literally caused and manipulated the suffering of everyone on the show, and how it ended up getting exactly what it wanted because Shingetsu obediently went straight down the path it prepared and none of them got any relief in the end, I can't bring myself to like it.

It's objectively good, but subjectively disappointing, I guess.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-29, 03:16   Link #359
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
But when I remember that all the thousands of girls that were decieved into participating into the fraud that is Granbelm and ended up wasting their time at best and getting deleted from existence at worst, and how Magiaconatus literally caused and manipulated the suffering of everyone on the show, and how it ended up getting exactly what it wanted because Shingetsu obediently went straight down the path it prepared and none of them got any relief in the end, I can't bring myself to like it.
the strong ones that made it to the final and were defeated by Suishou, they seem to have been put into the stones. Which is a terrible kind of death. I'm a little sad Ernesta did not even do anything good for all the previous victims (Anna and Kuon included), except she make sure they erased from existence.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-30, 22:13   Link #360
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I haven't posted on Anime Suki in a long time, but this particular anime compelled me to do so.

I thoroughly enjoyed most of Granbelm. I felt it was a decently creative mix of elements and likely inspirations, that came together remarkably well. It looked good, the action scenes were solid, a lot of the direction was superb. And I still think all of that.

However, I was disappointed with Granbelm's ending.

I think the issue here is that anime of this type - you know, with a certain level of seriousness, and with a certain degree of supernatural/fantastical elements - tend to focus a little too abstract and lose sight of what tends to truly resonate with people. And I think Granbelm is now one of the more clear-cut examples of this.

Ultimately, I felt that Granbelm never effectively portrayed magic as this great evil that needed to be wiped out. The only people we see effected by magic are people directly involved in the mage battles, as there's no indication whatsoever of any "collateral damage". This is in sharp contrast to how magic is portrayed in many other anime (such as Madoka Magica and Fate/Series), causing it to feel actually rather mild and relatively harmless here in Granbelm. I'm not saying its totally harmless, certainly, but it just doesn't register to me - either intellectually or emotionally - as something that must be done away with. The arguments made against magic in this show are almost entirely abstract and philosophical. It's almost all theory and opinion, really. And, ultimately, it wasn't very convincing to me.

By extension, I wasn't a huge fan of Ernesta's wish, feeling that she had a glorious opportunity to do something more worthwhile here. Beyond that, the personal downside to her wish, what it would mean for her as an individual, is actually quite nightmarish, in my mind. I mean, who would want to exist, forever, as an imperceptible shadow, completely unable to interact with other human beings? Who would be willing to suffer such a horrible fate merely to get rid of something that seemingly only effects a small handful of people, really?

So yeah, the ending totally doesn't resonate with me at all.

One positive is that this ending makes certain anime endings look better to me in retrospect.

Tags
female lead, holygrail, magical girl, mecha