AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-21, 17:46   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 519 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-10-21, 18:39   Link #2
james0246

Spoilers have not been released yet, so here is a possible prediction:

Oda does not, generally, like spending large amounts of time on one character, so I suspect that either this Amazon Lily arc will be ending in the next few chapters (whether by Luffy defeating the Amazons, or being defeated by Boa and her crew), or, more likely in my opinion, Oda will, just as Luffy is about to fight Boa, cut to a different character and a different mini-arc.

My hopes for the next character arc: I do not want to see Sanji, Chooper, or Brooke by themselves (for some reason I am not interested in what they would do when alone ). So, I hope these character will get to group together or with other characters (I would support a Sanji and Brooke team, especially if they can tell perverted stories to each other while camping out on whatever island they land on). That being said, if Oda decides to cut to a new character before Luffy's mini-arc is over, I hope he cuts to an Ussop arc (he needs to be alone) or a Nami arc (I have no specific reason for wishing for a Nami or Usopp arc).
Old 2008-10-21, 19:09   Link #3
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Mmm I wanna see Oda finish this arc instead of leaving it hanging.
Old 2008-10-21, 20:51   Link #4
noktown

I think that there is something each of them is going to learn,something new,whether its a new technique or whatsoever,and i think showing everyone's adventure would be not that cool imo,i expect to see Luffy's adventure and then in the end see them all meet up together for a new world,and in the new world arc we'll see their new stuff,that is my opinion,but again it is Oda it's hard to predict what he might come up with ;d
Old 2008-10-21, 21:00   Link #5
Boduar

Im personally hoping that the manga just follows luffy finishes this arc then he goes around to find his nakama and doesnt show what happened to them right away but possibly at a later time do cut-back scenes to show something they learned. Alot like how Zoro so far has at best only had a few pages of shown training but during fights pulls out a decent amount of new moves every arc. That being said I wouldnt mind a nami arc just because she could use a power up and is probably my 2nd fav character behind zoro.
Old 2008-10-21, 21:16   Link #6
Captain Roronoa Zoro

My favorite character is zoro of course but i really wanna see some ussop developement. Seeing him pull out some new moves in upcoming battles and facing tougher enemies would be cooler than watching any of the other strawhats develope, but i want him to keep his personality =]
Old 2008-10-21, 21:23   Link #7
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

I hope the Amazon Lily arc does not end that quickly, or if it ends, I hope it doesn't yet get resolved. I would be pretty disappointed if a Shichibukai got defeated that easily.

What I suspect might happen is we switch to another character while Luffy is just getting ready to face Boa. Then through a series of random events, the Straw-Hats all end up at the same place, which I suspect might be Amazon Lily itself.
Old 2008-10-21, 21:32   Link #8
marvelB

I also believe that the Amazon Lily arc won't last too much longer.... after all, Oda's gotta give us an update on the rest of the Straw-Hats at some point.

And I most definitely agree with james0246 that Usopp deserves a solo adventure. I'd especially love for him to encounter a strong opponent. After Enies Lobby, we've really seen the guy start to hold his own in tough situations, and he only has more room for improvement! For instance, imagine if he met up with Van Auger at wherever location he's at (y'know, the sniper from Blackbeard's crew?). I'd think it would be pretty awesome if he got into an unwinnable duel against him, and decided to work towards surpassing him, like Zoro with Mihawk....
Old 2008-10-21, 22:38   Link #9
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Spoilers have not been released yet, so here is a possible prediction:

Oda does not, generally, like spending large amounts of time on one character, so I suspect that either this Amazon Lily arc will be ending in the next few chapters (whether by Luffy defeating the Amazons, or being defeated by Boa and her crew), or, more likely in my opinion, Oda will, just as Luffy is about to fight Boa, cut to a different character and a different mini-arc.

My hopes for the next character arc: I do not want to see Sanji, Chopper, or Brooke by themselves (for some reason I am not interested in what they would do when alone ). So, I hope these character will get to group together or with other characters (I would support a Sanji and Brooke team, especially if they can tell perverted stories to each other while camping out on whatever island they land on). That being said, if Oda decides to cut to a new character before Luffy's mini-arc is over, I hope he cuts to an Ussop arc (he needs to be alone) or a Nami arc (I have no specific reason for wishing for a Nami or Usopp arc).
If what you say about Oda on his characters are true, I hope he gets to focus on Nami and Robin together. Here's how I see it in a possible prediction: Nami gets in a situation where she would get beaten badly by an unknown enemy (i.e.: possibly a plant-like creature with lots of thorns). In steps Robin who chases the enemy away with her powers. She then tends to Nami in open arms and Nami would cry in pain beneath Robin's breasts. This possible prediction would be the only time I could think of where Nami and Robin would have a Mother/Daughter relation moment in the series. Unless you guys know of an actual moment like this, (the Mother/Daughter relation moment) it's the best I could come up with.
Old 2008-10-21, 23:02   Link #10
Paraden1989

i just want the straw hats to get reunited and finally get to merman island!
Old 2008-10-21, 23:10   Link #11
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraden1989 View Post
i just want the straw hats to get reunited and finally get to merman island!
Maybe that is where Nami will be . Luffy managed to end up on an island in which he knows something about the leader (whatever happens to be on her back). So, it is possible that each Strawhat (as well as the possibilty of 1 or 2 groups of Strawhats) could end up on an Island that they have some sort of connection to.
Old 2008-10-21, 23:16   Link #12
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
If what you say about Oda on his characters are true, I hope he gets to focus on Nami and Robin together. Here's how I see it in a possible prediction: Nami gets in a situation where she would get beaten badly by an unknown enemy (i.e.: possibly a plant-like creature with lots of thorns). In steps Robin who chases the enemy away with her powers. She then tends to Nami in open arms and Nami would cry in pain beneath Robin's breasts. This possible prediction would be the only time I could think of where Nami and Robin would have a Mother/Daughter relation moment in the series. Unless you guys know of an actual moment like this, (the Mother/Daughter relation moment) it's the best I could come up with.
thats quite a story but for Nami and Robin its always been the Big sis/Wee sis relationship. The closest you'll get to a mother/child relationship is probably with Robin and Chopper.

I too want to to see Ussop shine, I think its time for a Sogeking grand adventure(Sogeking = one of the best characters ever created)

.....truth be told I just want to see him sing the song again
Old 2008-10-22, 01:11   Link #13
BestKeptSecret

My translation of the newest chapter isnt that goold (because its from google ^^)
but I think I got the major spoiler parts:

"Mary is a king cobra, Thunder is an anaconda.
Mary is fighting with Luffy, and spits venomous fluid at him.
Luffy uses Gomu Gomu no Stamp, but it's ineffective, painfully bouncing back.
Thunder intends to wrap up Luffy but he reads it and dodges.
Luffy can't really beat up the Boa Sisters at all.

Either Thunder or Mary is about to put Margaret, who's been turned to stone, into the ground? (I don't really know but it'd be the end for Margaret)
Luffy yells at them to stop, using a loud voice with haki!
The Boa sisters make a frightened face, almost all the people in the crowd have fainted and are frothing at the mouth.
Those around Hancock start to become uneasy...

It's unclear but Luffy probably activated Gear 2."

So lets start the discussion
uuhhh I love Anaconda-Type
I dont think that its true with Ruffy actually uses Haki...I mean where did he learned it?
Again just by watching others like Rayleigh or maybe Margaret? Ridiculous -_-
Old 2008-10-22, 01:23   Link #14
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post
My translation of the newest chapter isnt that goold (because its from google ^^)
but I think I got the major spoiler parts:

"Mary is a king cobra, Thunder is an anaconda.
Mary is fighting with Luffy, and spits venomous fluid at him.
Luffy uses Gomu Gomu no Stamp, but it's ineffective, painfully bouncing back.
Thunder intends to wrap up Luffy but he reads it and dodges.
Luffy can't really beat up the Boa Sisters at all.

Either Thunder or Mary is about to put Margaret, who's been turned to stone, into the ground? (I don't really know but it'd be the end for Margaret)
Luffy yells at them to stop, using a loud voice with haki!
The Boa sisters make a frightened face, almost all the people in the crowd have fainted and are frothing at the mouth.
Those around Hancock start to become uneasy...

It's unclear but Luffy probably activated Gear 2."

So lets start the discussion
uuhhh I love Anaconda-Type
I dont think that its true with Ruffy actually uses Haki...I mean where did he learned it?
Again just by watching others like Rayleigh or maybe Margaret? Ridiculous -_-
Uhhh...he already used it once. It wouldn't be that insane for him to use it again.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2008-10-22, 02:20   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Haki is not something that is 'learnt', you don't actively learn it. Haki is something that will come naturally to you as you build up life experience.

Luffy over the course of his journey has learnt about the harshness of piracy, the dangers, the fearsome foes. But the most important things he learnt is the value of his nakama, their dreams and lives. He has learnt to understand importance, although he doesn't put on a serious look most of the times.

And when he does get serious, that's when he releases his Haki. When he gets serious, he wants the opponents to know and that's when he spreads an aura of intimidation, telling the opponent that he wants to kick their ass really bad. Its a natural effect, its just a switch of emotions. And the reason his Haki is so strong is because he cares strongly for the things that are worth protecting, the lives and dreams of others.

When Luffy sees that Magaret's life is in danger, he gets really angered and he released in the form of the shout, which is essentially stating that he wants them to stop. Stating his 'dominance' over others, which is Haki.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-10-22, 03:54   Link #16
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Possible, but I wonder if Kuma really did so much research on the whole crew.
And as a reader, I wouldn't really like it, if every character gets his own ministory, while the main story pauses... this would probably take a year or even longer.

I would prefer it, if Kuma sent the rest of the crew immediately to their ship, with some time delay (of three days) or the like, so that Luffy is the only one to experience something in the meantime... hopefully something which allows him to defeat most of the enemies alone, so that the rest of the crew (especially the non-fighters like Chopper and Nami) doesn't need to fight anymore at all.
Well...Kuma seemed to know an awful lot about Luffy (who his father and grandfather are), so, I wouldn't be surprised if Kuma had some specific knowledge concerning the individual Strawhats. While those that he did not know (Chopper and Brooke specifically, but also possibly Sanji (considering the fact that Duval was accused of being Sanji)) will be sent to a random island, but those that he does know of (Robin, Franky, Zoro, and Luffy all have well known backgrounds) might get sent to a personalized island. Additionally, basic info on Nami would put her in a town formally run by Arlong, and Usopp's father is a member of Shanks crew, so they both have a legitimate personalized story that Kuma/the Military could know through simple investigation.

Finally, we have absolutely no idea what Kuma's book does. For all we know, it could be a mini-computer that allows Kuma to access information on the people around him.

---

That being said, Haki really came across as a "Force Persuade" ability in this chapter. What the hell can't this ability do . I certainly hope that Haki does not become a power that allows the user "dominate" any aspect of the world around them.
Old 2008-10-22, 03:58   Link #17
Darmill

@ BestKeptSecret:

thanks for the translation. Yes the chapter ends with Luffy saying "The fight has just begun!" and activated Gear 2.

I also found a source which mentioned that only one in a million, like Luffy & Hancock, has the gift to use Haki. But that line has been deleted today, so I'm not sure if that's true.

Last edited by Darmill; 2008-10-22 at 04:02. Reason: Yes Luffy did use Haki when those gorgon sisters held Margaret in the air.
Old 2008-10-22, 04:17   Link #18
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

No, actually the concept of Haki is extremely simple once you understand it. But somehow I can't seem to get it across the ocean lol. We need more Asians here to explain the concept.

Haki is a form of domination over others, and can be both actively or passively at work.

In the east, Haki is present in every fighting manga out there, just that only some uses it as part of the story. Street Fighter has Haki as part of plot, any chinese manhwa will have Haki mentioned, one famous manhwa being Feng Yun(or Storm Riders). Heck even Super Robot Wars had Haki in the form of a line of mechs powered by the pilots/fighters' Haki, in the form of fighting spirit, one trying to dominate another or all others.

Haki is present even in real life, its nothing far-fetched. A president or prime minister entering the room and everyone turns to him, heck even the CEO of a company when entering a meeting room establishes a Haki that everyone will listen to him. Or in the military, a general giving his speech, soldiers will keep their attention and listen to him.

Haki is something that a person of higher power or stronger will exerts, over someone who is weaker. But if someone is weaker, a weak person can still exert a weak Haki over them.

Haki is an exertion of will over others, a strong spirit trying to go against another. Which makes its place in fighting manga/story, where people fight each other. The one who wins are usually because they have stronger Haki, they have stronger fighting spirit that the other one and he dominates in fighting.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-10-22, 05:46   Link #19
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Haki is not something that is 'learnt', you don't actively learn it. Haki is something that will come naturally to you as you build up life experience.
That's exactly what I suspected it meant. See my last post in the previous chapter topic.

Anyway. As expected Luffy simply uses Haki all of a sudden. He is, after all, an autodidact. Great stuff.
Old 2008-10-22, 08:05   Link #20
kari-no-sugata

To be clear about Luffy's Haki...

From what I can make out from the scans...

The Amazons say that Luffy has "覇王色" (Haoushoku) Haki. Not sure how best to translate it but the "ha" bit is the same as in "haki". The "shoku" bit normally refers to colours but can be used in other ways, implying a mood or ambiance or something. "supreme king colour" would be one possible literal kanji-for-kanji translation.

The chapter seems to imply that "haoushoku" Haki can be used dominate people mentally - leadership squared, as it were. Boa Hancock has definitely been using/abusing that.

I also found that "覇王竜" (Haouryuu) is an old word to refer to tyrannosaurus rex ("king of the tyrant lizards"). The "haou" kanji are the same (ryuu = dragon).

They also say that only one in "several million" can gain/learn it - the word/phrase used is "身につける" (mi ni tsukeru) which means "to learn" or to "acquire knowledge or ability". This is not an inherent ability.