AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-13, 21:45   Link #381
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Only for the EU ? Did you already give-up on Australia or Canada ?
The EU seems to be handling the whole patent/trademark/copyright thing in a way that better serves the community.

Australia isn't off the radar.. but they have some very strange tentacles in censorship land. Canada is having to poke at their own little bizarro political party but they'll probably survive it.

Obviously, those are all horrible sweeping generalizations. That just seems to be the trend lines.
Old 2012-09-13, 21:59   Link #382
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm sure the Middle East appreciated being told they need American leadership and that he plans to enforce "Pax Americana" ....

Can this guy say *anything* without both feet firmly in his mouth?
The thing is that he isn't speaking to the Middle East. He's speaking to his voters. And unfortunately a wide part of his electorate is completely ignorant about matters outside of the US, yet absolutely convinced of America's Manifest Destiny - this is where this venomous American Exceptionalism is coming from.

Too many people live in the Faux News bubble and don't even realize that they're fed ridiculous lies. Add in the "Librul Media" meme for self-inoculation against unpleasant facts and doubts, and there you go. Heck, it took FOUR YEARS before people were realizing that Iraq wasn't all that hunky-dory after all.

It's sad.
Old 2012-09-13, 22:05   Link #383
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The thing is that he isn't speaking to the Middle East. He's speaking to his voters. And unfortunately a wide part of his electorate is completely ignorant about matters outside of the US, yet absolutely convinced of America's Manifest Destiny - this is where this venomous American Exceptionalism is coming from.

Too many people live in the Faux News bubble and don't even realize that they're fed ridiculous lies. Add in the "Librul Media" meme for self-inoculation against unpleasant facts and doubts, and there you go. Heck, it took FOUR YEARS before people were realizing that Iraq wasn't all that hunky-dory after all.

It's sad.
It is nearing four years since Obama took office and millions of Americans still don't understand the whole thing about the GOP trying to make Obama a one-term president; to the disadvantage of America. Millions of Americans still don't see it or worse yet close their eyes to it and pretend it isn't happening because they hate Obama that much. It frustrates me so much.
Old 2012-09-13, 22:37   Link #384
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I can't understand people who actually believe the last 4 years was worse than that nightmare 8 years of Bush admin.

I mean, really? Are we looking at two different realities here?
Old 2012-09-13, 22:38   Link #385
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Probably. It depends entirely on their preception of what is good and reasonable....or how their money situations was in those time frames.

Also for some, how they felt in terms of America being powerful. Did they feel good to be an Americans? Because a lot of things in politics really don't matter to most people. (The "America! Fuck Yeah!" groupings. Those were American is first and the rest of the planet doesn't matter at all)
Old 2012-09-13, 22:48   Link #386
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Obama ain't all that bad. So it raises red flags when we have our first black president and millions of Americans freak out and have meltdowns over him...
Old 2012-09-13, 23:03   Link #387
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, I thought of an imagery thing from the past: a black man walks into either an all white club, or a prodominately white store back in the early 1950s. Everyone stops doing what they are doing at look at him. Some might threaten him, some might ask him to leave, but no one continues on as if nothing is going on. Nothing continues to happen normally until the black man has left the building (one way or another). Even if it is not illegal for him to be there, or he'd a servant for some white family and just picking up something for them as ordered. Normal life stops for everyone there until the black man leaves. The shop clerk might tell the black man to leave...he might just hand him what he needs. It all depends on the situation. Just that everyone else stops going about their own business until the black man is gone.

I'm sure you've seen films about the era or television shows where this happens.

The analogy is similar. It seems like America stopped once the black man was in office, and they won't stop looking at him until he leaves. Then they will continue on like nothing happened.

It be like if you had 99 white kids on a playground and than one black kid comes to play. And for some reason everyone stops playing. No one has any fun until the black kid leaves. They might even try to deny fun while he is there. Take down the swing or something. It is entirely illogical...but whoever said the human race was logical?

At least it isn't as bad as Chris Rock thought it would be back in 1992...with the first black President having to jump around for all speeches to avoid snipers and the like.
Old 2012-09-13, 23:12   Link #388
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well, I thought of an imagery thing from the past: a black man walks into either an all white club, or a prodominately white store back in the early 1950s. Everyone stops doing what they are doing at look at him. Some might threaten him, some might ask him to leave, but no one continues on as if nothing is going on. Nothing continues to happen normally until the black man has left the building (one way or another). Even if it is not illegal for him to be there, or he'd a servant for some white family and just picking up something for them as ordered. Normal life stops for everyone there until the black man leaves. The shop clerk might tell the black man to leave...he might just hand him what he needs. It all depends on the situation. Just that everyone else stops going about their own business until the black man is gone.

I'm sure you've seen films about the era or television shows where this happens.

The analogy is similar. It seems like America stopped once the black man was in office, and they won't stop looking at him until he leaves. Then they will continue on like nothing happened.

It be like if you had 99 white kids on a playground and than one black kid comes to play. And for some reason everyone stops playing. No one has any fun until the black kid leaves. They might even try to deny fun while he is there. Take down the swing or something. It is entirely illogical...but whoever said the human race was logical?

At least it isn't as bad as Chris Rock thought it would be back in 1992...with the first black President having to jump around for all speeches to avoid snipers and the like.
I'll wait to see how the second term goes... I've got a personal estimate that some of our vitriolic right wing extremists might make a go at him in the second term.

But that's a pretty good visual metaphor for how bizarre it is here in the US at the moment. I have a couple of relatives who live in a red state who have had all their "friends" and some relatives turn vicious on them because they support Obama. They're torn between wanting to stay near their grandkids and just leaving the state. Not an over-reaction, its that bad.
Old 2012-09-13, 23:14   Link #389
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

While Chuck is riding the GOP dick, his equal opposite, the "Most Interesting Man in the World" decided to go the other party.

Dos Equis man is hostng Obama fundraiser.

"I don't always endorse presiential candidates, but when I do...."
Old 2012-09-13, 23:16   Link #390
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But maybe not that far, didn't they say than he received at the begining of his mandat more death threat than any other president and than the Service Secret did beaf-up his protection ?
Old 2012-09-13, 23:19   Link #391
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
I'll wait to see how the second term goes... I've got a personal estimate that some of our vitriolic right wing extremists might make a go at him in the second term.

But that's a pretty good visual metaphor for how bizarre it is here in the US at the moment. I have a couple of relatives who live in a red state who have had all their "friends" and some relatives turn vicious on them because they support Obama. They're torn between wanting to stay near their grandkids and just leaving the state. Not an over-reaction, its that bad.
Which state?
Old 2012-09-13, 23:24   Link #392
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Which state?
Texas, imagine that...
Old 2012-09-13, 23:31   Link #393
monir
cho~ kakkoii

This is very relevant to this topic! Good for Obama. Netanyahu has very little ground here considering Israelis themselves are divided on this issue and when his Deputy Minister, Dan Meridor, for Intelligence and Atomic affair says he doesn't want to see a "Red Line", this push for a deadline can only be considered as one last push for Netanyahu's own political survival.

There sure to follow a Romney sound-bite pretty soon..!
Old 2012-09-13, 23:43   Link #394
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
this push for a deadline can only be considered as one last push for Netanyahu's own political survival.
Or could it be a attempt to help Romney, as trying to make Obama look like he would really try to help Israel aginst Iran ?

The Right Response to the Libya and Egypt Attacks
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._smirked_.html

Quote:
No other prominent Republican, even those who have vigorously criticized Obama in the past, has spoken out against the president on this issue. Sens. John McCain and Mitch McConnell, as well as House Speaker John Boehner, have stepped before microphones to condemn the attacks, mourn the deaths, and assert American unity in seeking justice. These politicians know, as Romney apparently doesn’t, that in these sorts of crises, the proper thing to do is to rally around the flag.

Ironically, it’s also the politically smart thing to do. Imagine if Romney had called President Obama, asked how he could be of assistance in this time of crisis, offered to appear at his side at a press conference to demonstrate that, when American lives are at risk, politics stop at the water’s edge—and then had his staff put out the word that he’d done these things, which would have made him look noble and might have made Obama look like the petty one if he’d waved away these offers.

But none of this is in Romney. He imagined a chink in Obama’s armor, an opening for a political assault on the president’s strength and leadership, and so he dashed to the barricades without a moment of reflection, a nod to propriety, or a smidgen of good strategy
That would had been a great move; If Obama wouls had accepted Romney would still had looked noble and presidential, especialy a 11 september. But now he looked low and a idiot. Again.
Old 2012-09-13, 23:44   Link #395
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Texas, imagine that...
I hear Texas has a lot of racists. T'is true?
Old 2012-09-13, 23:47   Link #396
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Texas is big. It as a lot of everything.
Old 2012-09-13, 23:54   Link #397
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I hear Texas has a lot of racists. T'is true?
It feels like there's one on every block here, yes.

Still though, I think Mississippi has us beat by a large margin. Just sayin'.
Old 2012-09-14, 00:07   Link #398
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Or could it be a attempt to help Romney, as trying to make Obama look like he would really try to help Israel aginst Iran ?.
If Netnyahu was banking on that when he spoke to Obama last Tuesday, he might be having a change of heart after Romney's take on the whole incident over at Libya. The one reason why Romney's comment was so thoughtless when he said what he said was because he had no idea what was going to unfold in the next few hours. He had no idea what the late-Ambassador and his staff were undergoing. Ensuring the safety of the people that are working on our behalf while in the midst of such volatile areas like Egypt, Yemen, Libiya... we can't just make statements that can further jeopardize the safety of our own people when they are in the midst of mobs that are looking to get stupider and angrier. Despite Obama's average record on the Economy, he has been spot-on when it comes to Foreign Policy. Romney had a massive brain-fart when he thought he could score a political point with those comments. No wonder he doubled back with those comments in a hurry.

If I were Netnyahu, I would forget everything Romney promised me in his last visit to Israel. Romney may very well have lost this election with those stupid comments.
Old 2012-09-14, 00:08   Link #399
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, Texas (like other so-called red states) has a strong streak of blue through it, but gerrymandering has given some really unpleasant people more feelings of power than they really have and they act on it.

Unpleasant people tend to act out if they think they'll get away with it.
Old 2012-09-14, 01:18   Link #400
Mentar
Banned

Well, what do you know? As proof for the utter ignorance bubble I talked about before, here's the newest from the Romney campaign:

Under a President Romney, the Libya Attack would have never happened in the first place - America would have been held in too high regard

The fact that a politician can spread such callous BS publicly says everything. In Germany, if any politician had DARED to say something like that, all media would have had a field day on him, and his career would be over.
Closed Thread