AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 33 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 31.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 20.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.02%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.01%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.01%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.02%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-13, 05:21   Link #61
MasterVampire

What happened to all the romance that was in the previous episode?
Did it get burried by all the drama in this episde?

I kinda expected Yuuta to hug her or something and tell her its going to be ok and he is with her.
Old 2012-12-13, 06:38   Link #62
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
What many critics here don't seem to realize is that Yuuta himself is unsure of how to deal with Rikka's issues. He told her to face reality, not run away from it, and it looks like she understands it all too well, but he's conflicted upon seeing that she's more miserable than happy. She's trying her best to fit in, to change her behavior, but her 8th grade syndrome isn't easy to lose so easily, and given how even Yuuta has his moments of relapse every now and then, it's only natural that it's eating her up from the inside, especially when Sanae is still fully immersed in her own fantasy world (though even she understand that this is what's best for Rikka).

Still, Rikka facing the music has made her life a bit better already: Touka can leave with ease in her heart, she made amends with her mother, and she's gaining new friends. All that needs to be done is for her to find the right balance between being her real self, and her past self.
Could not have said this better myself. My thoughts exactly.

I really hope Kumin will have some integral part to play to the end of all this in the form of some beneficial nugget of advice. I don't want her to get left behind in the dust, even though she's only a side character.

And the soundtrack continues to not disappoint. The music really added to how much pain was present in this episode.
Old 2012-12-13, 06:52   Link #63
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
What many critics here don't seem to realize is that Yuuta himself is unsure of how to deal with Rikka's issues. He told her to face reality, not run away from it, and it looks like she understands it all too well, but he's conflicted upon seeing that she's more miserable than happy. She's trying her best to fit in, to change her behavior, but her 8th grade syndrome isn't easy to lose so easily, and given how even Yuuta has his moments of relapse every now and then, it's only natural that it's eating her up from the inside, especially when Sanae is still fully immersed in her own fantasy world (though even she understand that this is what's best for Rikka).
Exactly what I pointed out as well. While I am not a huge fan of Yuuta's actions in this week's episode, I understand that this fellow is struggling himself to cope with this. Watching the episode again, I realized that even Yuuta has unresolved issue about the syndrome, which may account for his actions and why he is not being a proper help to Rikka.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-12-13, 07:48   Link #64
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I have no words to describe how incredible this episode was. An episode weld with emotions, intensity, and bereft for which was lost.
I feel like there's a swirly jar of tears waiting to burst out of me.
Old 2012-12-13, 08:07   Link #65
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

so now time has pass with rikka’s sister now going to italy cooking with rikka now being normal person with all fine except for dekomori trying wake up her master back.

during in school rikka being more normal to everyone then dekomori trying magic stones but no to get drag by nibutani give dekomori going why & crying on it nibutani calm her with hug.

yuuta & rikka alone time with rikka mention she going visit her father grave then on train ready to go dekomori still trying wake up rikka but stop by yutta.

which yuuta telling dekomori enough already this is reality speech yet dekomori but still yet cry & run which yuuta feel both sorry & guilty of what his saying doing while rikka on the train to see her father’s grave.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
Old 2012-12-13, 09:00   Link #66
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Spoiler for Episode 11:
Old 2012-12-13, 09:57   Link #67
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Of course, there's Dekomori to worry about. Man, if only she could graduate from being a Servant to the Wicked Eye.
Yeah, let's turn Dekomori into a "normal" girl, just like Rikka. A girl who's only concerned about how the people around her think she "should be" and repress her true self. She needs to become a "proper" member of society. :V
Old 2012-12-13, 10:01   Link #68
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So if we could sum it all in one sentence it is this.

This is what happens when you plainly tell someone to grow up, and expect it to happen practically overnight.

And the sad fact many adults forget is that this is much, much easier said than done.
Old 2012-12-13, 10:39   Link #69
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
So if we could sum it all in one sentence it is this.

This is what happens when you plainly tell someone to grow up, and expect it to happen practically overnight.

And the sad fact many adults forget is that this is much, much easier said than done.
When someone is left all alone to fend against the cruelties of this selfish world all alone, right after a life changing traum, is it too much to ask to allow them ONE harbor of emotional security that makes them feel righteous and worthy of being alive?

How the FUCK does that hurt anyone else but the uncaring heartless ignoramus too cold and unfeeling to reach out and care for someone who is clearly hurt and needs a hug for their souls, and NOT a slap across the face of their self-esteem?

Well said, Mr/Ms MeoTwister. Took the words right out of my mouth.

One VERY easy to miss detail concerning the moment when Yuuta breaks down into tears:

In his most vulnerable hour, when he is completely broken and needs strength, he subconciously wipes his tears with the hand gesture of Dark Flame Master to give himself the courage to not completey break-down and give up.

He may try to disown that "shameful" past, but ironically he STILL draws a sense of strength from it, as it DID give him the self-worth and strength of character to survive to what he became today.

You can never really shake off what made you the way your are, can you?
Old 2012-12-13, 10:46   Link #70
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Staff comments!
Director Eisaku Kawanami:
Quote:
So then this is the 11th episode of Chuunibyou. I'm the director of this episode. They call me Kawanami. This is the third time I've introduced myself, isn't it?

We're in autumn now. You can hear winter's footsteps around the corner. A cold, small breeze has also gotten into Rikka and Yuuta. Rikka is trying to change as Yuuta watches over her.

Everyone's thoughts are at separate ends. Dekomori and Nibutani's emotions are complicated.... I worked very carefully to incorporate that spontaneous pitter-patter their hearts were going through.

As we started to turn towards the climax, the mood becomes tense. Was chuunibyou itself what they were thinking it was?!

Though we've become wrapped in the flames of darkness, let's head through the final episode together!ヽ(回ε・)ノPlease look forward to it!
Color Coordinator Naomi Ishida:
Quote:
This is Ishida, the person tasked with setting the color for Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! episode 11.

The many times Dekomori was gallant and miserable during this episode made an impression on me. The serious impression you observed was different from her usual high-spirited self.

And personally, the breakfast scene at the Togashi residence gave me a light shock. We only heard lines and nothing was shown, but the menu choices were somewhat refined. I still like it.

Next time is the final episode. I will be pleased if you continue to follow us until the end. Thank you very much for watching.
Backgrounds Shingo Kasai:
Quote:
I'm Kasai and I was in charge of the backgrounds for episode 11.

Because of the complications of chuunibyou between Rikka and Dekomori, we used more cold and freezing colors instead of the bright and cheerful backgrounds we used previously. One point of note regarding the backgrounds is during the scene where Dekomori tries to return Rikka to the chuunibyou world. Please note how both the real world and chuunibyou world have been changed.

Dekomori's "Chuunibyou is deathly fun!" is quite tempting. Yuuta also looked a bit miserable too. Please continue to support these two until the end of their journey.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-12-13, 10:48   Link #71
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Yeah so much to it being a romance comedy (even if the "drama" has only been for 1.5 episodes) . I don't even know what to say because I feel just like /facepalming at the drama that conquered the whole episode. I first planned to simply skip episode 11 as I felt it would ruin the mood (which it did to an extend), but decided otherwise.

-> The farewell between Touka and Yuuta was probably the most memorable scene other than maybe Nibutani hugging Sanae. I didn't even really care about most of the rest other than the end.

The rest? Most disappointing episode for me. Yes the heavy atmosphere and all made sense given the context, but I just don't enjoy it. I seriously hope the final episode settles this ***** atmosphere in a way that won't feel too rushed.
Old 2012-12-13, 11:03   Link #72
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

9/10 cuz i almost shred a tear with the bgm's help.
Old 2012-12-13, 11:08   Link #73
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was heartwrenching. Rikka is trying her best to act normal, but it's obvious she's currently miserable. Her chuunibyou wasn't only a mean to escape real life problems nor a facade, it was also something she enjoyed greatly. It's part of her (inside) identity at this stage. The scene where Dekomori showed her the stones made it obvious she genuinely loves all this stuff. It was painful to see her force herself to pretend she isn't the same person anymore. What she needs to do is find a balance between her chuunibyou and real life. She can't keep denying herself. Of course, that's easier said than done.

Sumire Uesaka was right, I see Delomori diffidently now. She was the unexpected star of the episode. I greatly enjoyed all her scenes, especially the one where she cried in Shinka's chest (Shinka has become a highly likable character lately, she's pretty much the mother of the group) and the final scene. I felt really sorry for her. What Yuuta said to her is not wrong, but he was needlessly harsh. I'm not blaming him however, it's a complicated situation for him as well.

With only one episode left, I'm afraid the conclusion is going to be rushed. I hope it will believable and satisfying. I want the fun Rikka back!
Old 2012-12-13, 12:28   Link #74
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
To push the point further with Yuuta's POV: Yuuta had to put some resolve in his stance even if he is not pleased by how it turns out.
However, he has -no choice- as of now to speak of: right now, Yuuta is Rikka's anchor, so if he decides to go backwards and let her chuunibyou slide despite his -and- Rikka's efforts to get through of that, it would be for naught.

Yuuta was shown quite conflicted and unsure if it was for the best, but he had to stick with his stance, otherwise everything would crumble, and unlike any mere chuunibyou "relapse", Rikka's current situation wouldn't allow another burst of it, with her relationship with her mother at stake (which was of course never Rikka's core problem as proved in this episode).

This is another reason why he had to put things straight with Sanae, otherwise it would gnaw Rikka's efforts on the long run: both Sanae and Yuuta noticed how Rikka was struggling when the former persistently tried to bring "back" Rikka in her chuuni mode.
And being corned by the limit of what you can do in reality, no wonder why he lamented how it is impossible for them to "find the horizon" for obvious reasons (even to the point of blurting Rikka's family issue in front of Sanae).

What Rikka needs would be something that would susbtitute her longing for the "horizon" (aka, her father), unless her chuunibyou has yet another reason to be there. At least, something that would not leave her empty after losing her chuunibyou, or a balance of it.
That said, every characters involved realize that, past the likely issue in society, Rikka will be affected by her own "reminding" behaviour regarding her father if she keeps it on the way she does. The alternative however not that obvious.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-12-13 at 12:41.
Old 2012-12-13, 13:32   Link #75
KLGChaos
The Shermain

The problem with Rikka's chuunibyou is that it was more than a distraction, it took over her life, which isn't a good thing. There's nothing wrong with pretending here and there to get your mind of reality-- everyone needs some escapism. Heck, my friends and I roleplay a few times a month with a tabletop RPG. I play video games and read manga because sometimes real life just sucks. But her syndrome went beyond that to the point that it not only affected her (her bad grades for example were due to her not being able to concentrate on the real world), but started to affect those around her, too (her sister wouldn't have been able to fulfill her own dream because she would have had to take care of Rikka).

Expecting her to suddenly snap out of it overnight is definitely asking a lot, but her chuunibyou was going beyond playing pretend to actually becoming a mental illness in my mind-- not the kind where she actually believes the stuff is real, but the trauma of losing her father pushed her to the point that she was trying to escape reality completely instead of facing up to it. There comes a point when it's unhealthy. It was actually affecting her ability to function in normal society to the point that she didn't even know how to hold a conversation properly.

I've never been a huge fan of running away. People deal with trauma every day. It's painful, I know. I've lost family members myself. But hiding in a pretend fantasy world isn't going to change anything-- all it's going to do is make life in the real world harder when you have to come back to it.

What Yuuta said at the end was harsh, but it was the truth.

Rikka can still have fun with her fantasy world, imo, as long as just keeps it as a hobby. Like LARPers do when they go out and role play. Letting it seep into every aspect of her life, though, would just be bad for her in the end. You have to find a balance between escapism and reality-- and you have to be able to distinguish the two.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2012-12-13 at 13:56.
Old 2012-12-13, 16:03   Link #76
zyta

Send a message via MSN to zyta
This episode has been by far one of the most depressing episodes that I have seen within the last few years. Just about everything about the episode compliments this overall theme of hopeless despair. Sanae really struck a chord in me. Before she was just this very annoying, yet likeable, and funny, and very adorable girl; in this episode however, she has become something akin to THE main character and not just one of the main side characters. The emotion that Sanae exhibited when she thought she was losing her best friend, and possibly her only friend, for the better part of two years was so pure and strong. I admit, I cried during this episode. The last time I did that was during Angel Beats when Kanade and Otonashi said their final goodbyes.

Zombie Rikka was very hard to watch. She and Yuuta both were trying way too hard in this episode to be somebody that they are not. Rikka is making an honest effort to assimilate herself into normal society, but the rate at which she is going is abnormal. She has lived two+ years as a Chuunibyou, she has having a very hard time communicating in normal terms. Yuuta is trying to be as supportive as he can be, but whenever he looks at Rikka his heart simply shatters, as does mine. Turning Rikka back would make them both happier than they can possibly know, but that would also be the most irresponsible thing they can do.

I do not blame Yuuta for anything he does or doesn’t do in this episode. He’s caught between a rock and a hard place. He can easily opt for the easy way out that would bring the most happiness to everyone, but how long would such happiness bring them honestly? I don’t believe that the suddenness with which Rikka decided on her own to face reality is healthy and will do more damage than good. Yes, Yuuta told her to take it off, but she chose to do it so suddenly and with a note of finality. It is my belief that Touka and Yuuta wanted to bring Rikka to face reality in a much slower and healthier pace. Rikka just surprised everyone with her abrupt decision; this is the outcome they desired, ultimately, but not the method they would have chosen.
Old 2012-12-13, 16:29   Link #77
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
The problem with Rikka's chuunibyou is that it was more than a distraction, it took over her life, which isn't a good thing. There's nothing wrong with pretending here and there to get your mind of reality-- everyone needs some escapism. Heck, my friends and I roleplay a few times a month with a tabletop RPG. I play video games and read manga because sometimes real life just sucks. But her syndrome went beyond that to the point that it not only affected her (her bad grades for example were due to her not being able to concentrate on the real world), but started to affect those around her, too (her sister wouldn't have been able to fulfill her own dream because she would have had to take care of Rikka).
This is a bit of a stretch. I can probably find easier reasons to point out to why Rikka has bad math grades, and believe me, being chuuni is definitely not one of the top reasons I would pick as the main cause.

Quote:
Expecting her to suddenly snap out of it overnight is definitely asking a lot, but her chuunibyou was going beyond playing pretend to actually becoming a mental illness in my mind-- not the kind where she actually believes the stuff is real, but the trauma of losing her father pushed her to the point that she was trying to escape reality completely instead of facing up to it. There comes a point when it's unhealthy. It was actually affecting her ability to function in normal society to the point that she didn't even know how to hold a conversation properly.
I think there is a difference in opinion on how serious Rikka is in regards to her chuunibyou-nism. While it is true that her behavior does warrant concern, I do not believe it could be classified as full blown delusional, which people seem to be alluding to. She is eccentric, but she is fully aware that her antics do indeed cause problems for her family. Yuuta even picks up from their conversations that people in her class "do not recognize her existence" because of her Wicked Eye antics.

Quote:
I've never been a huge fan of running away. People deal with trauma every day. It's painful, I know. I've lost family members myself. But hiding in a pretend fantasy world isn't going to change anything-- all it's going to do is make life in the real world harder when you have to come back to it.

What Yuuta said at the end was harsh, but it was the truth.

Rikka can still have fun with her fantasy world, imo, as long as just keeps it as a hobby. Like LARPers do when they go out and role play. Letting it seep into every aspect of her life, though, would just be bad for her in the end. You have to find a balance between escapism and reality-- and you have to be able to distinguish the two.
Yes and no. While her form of chuuni can be considered as escapism, it can also be another way to cope with trauma, which can be handled in a variety of ways. Sometimes people drink to forget their problems and other seek more self-destructive means to cope, but I think we are being more harsh on Rikka compared to the example I listed.

As others pointed out already, her behavior is already part of her personality. A behavior that society in general frowns upon as being too childish or immature. It is something that she really does enjoy as it allows her to interact with Sanae, the girl who is just as much as a chuuni as Rikka but is also ridiculously smart.
Old 2012-12-13, 16:39   Link #78
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Rikka is finding her center, and like any pendulum, she can't swing right back to the middle. She's overshot her target. She helped Yuuta rediscover the magic that a little fantasy can bring to life, and she could really use the favor returned.

Poor Dekomori. "One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more"
Old 2012-12-13, 17:18   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm disappointed we didn't get to find out anything about Rikka's mom. I was hoping the situation would be clarified. We still don't know for sure why she left her kids in the care of their grandparents. We can make pretty good assumptions based on what we've been told, but I don't like working on assumptions alone.
Old 2012-12-13, 17:51   Link #80
KLGChaos
The Shermain

@Elestia: Rikk'a grades suffering came from the LN, I believe. Something about real school work not interesting her because it doesn't follow her Chuunibyou. And while Sanae may have Chuunibyou, as well, unlike Rikka, she doesn't allow it to affect others. To her it's a fun game. As we've seen, her grades don't suffer at all and she's very personable with the people in her class, as she knows when to turn it off. The only time she really acts like that is when she's interacting with the club members. Though we havent seen her home life, I'm sure that even at home she acts pretty normal among her family, like she does with her classmates.

Rikka on the other hand isn't just doing it for fun, she's using it to run away from reality. That's a you said a way to cope with trauma. However, while it may not be heavy drinking or anything like that, it's being just as destructive to her life. She has no friends outside the club, it's affecting her family just like a heavy drinker can poorly affect theirs, etc. She needs help and can't keep on the way she is or she won't make it in the real world. Sometimes, a big shake up is needed to make someone see that... Sometimes they never recover at all and they end up dead in a pool of their own vomit.... Sometimes, they need to realize for themselves that they can't keep doing this. The problem with the last one is that sometimes the realization comes too late. What happens when they're in their 20s and Yuuta is trying to impress his boss at the local office party and Rikka goes all Chuuni on him?

Yuuta really is caught between a rock and a hard place and there's no real answer to this. The question is does try and do something about it or ignore it and hope it goes away on its own?

Tags
chuunibyou, drama