AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2013-09-14, 05:12   Link #1
MentarkMindtaker

Choppy Hi10p Playback on new laptop, stumped...

Hello All,

I am getting choppy video playing Hi10p encoded Anime on my new HP laptop (Specs listed at the bottom) but audio playback is working properly. I am not very savy when it comes to codecs and player configurations for all of my other PC's (some much older) play these videos fine with just XBMC 12.2 installed. First I installed all the latest A/V drivers from AMD. Then I tried playing with XBMC, VLC, and MPC using the config listed in the URL below. All with no change. After days of googleing for anything related to my hardware and Hi10p playback and finding nothing I'm kinda at my wit's end here. Any help would be greatly appricieated. Thanks in advance.

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/205/hi10p-info-guide/

Laptop Model: HP 2000-2c11NR
Processor: AMD Dual-Core E2-2000 APU Radeon HD Graphics 1.75 GHz

Video: AMD Radeon HD 7340
Total Available Graphics Memory: 1969 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 384 MB
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 1585 MB

Audio: AMD High Definition Audio
RAM: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
Old 2013-09-19, 05:19   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

As far as I'm aware of, all you should need is CCCP and Media Player Classic (which comes with CCCP). You shouldn't be doing any tweaking if you just want to watch 10bit anime. Just install CCCP and you should be good to go. My recommedation is to start all over: uninstall everything and then install the latest CCCP version from the site (Yellow button). If you still have problems then use this FAQ as a guide:
http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ
Old 2013-09-19, 19:30   Link #3
namaiki

If it still doesn't work, (depending on what video in particular) it might be because the CPU is too slow: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...00+APU&id=1867
Old 2013-09-20, 15:02   Link #4
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

As far as I'm aware, CCCP doesn't come with Hi10p playback capability. You need either madVR or mplayer2 for it. Given that the OP said he followed the Haruhi guide, which does cover a madVR install, the issue is probably with his CPU. My old laptop was an AMD dual-core clocking @2.1 GHz and I had to tweak madVR's settings to the lowest level just to get working playback that didn't glitch up. So my guess is the onboard graphics card in your CPU isn't good enough to support Hi10p playback, especially from madVR which is absurdly greedy with resources.

I suggest either try mplayer2 (with the smplayer GUI wrapper if you're not comfortable with the command line) or download the Kawai Codec Pack and set madVR to Lowest. If neither of those work, just give up full 10-bit playback and just set MPC-HC's renderer to EVR-CP. Especially if you're trying to play 1080p files. Dual-core is the bare minimum to playback 1080p, and your CPU is clocking at speeds I'd expect more from a new smartphone than a new laptop.

Last edited by Kuroi Hadou; 2013-09-20 at 15:13.
Old 2013-09-20, 20:04   Link #5
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
As far as I'm aware, CCCP doesn't come with Hi10p playback capability.
CCCP has officially supported H.264 10-bit playback since July 30, 2011 and it is possible with EVR. I would not recommend installing madVR unless the computer has a half decent GPU. CPU alone doesn't matter much for madVR, but it does for H.264 10-bit playback. You can check CPU usage while playing a video to confirm if the CPU is being maxed out.

Quote:
Dual-core is the bare minimum to playback 1080p, and your CPU is clocking at speeds I'd expect more from a new smartphone than a new laptop.
This is somewhat true, however I would expect a similarly clocked current gen Intel CPU to suffice for H.264 10-bit playback. I mean Intel i5 or i7, not Atom though.
Old 2013-09-20, 20:32   Link #6
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
If neither of those work, just give up full 10-bit playback and just set MPC-HC's renderer to EVR-CP.
madVR isn't any more "full 10-bit playback" than EVR-CP. Both output 8 Bit max, so the 10 Bit data has to be dithered down somewhere in the playback chain. The difference is that madVR does it on the GPU (alongside the scaling/color conversion) while EVR needs it to be done at an earlier time, usually on the CPU by either LAV Video or ffdshow. You can use madVR on relatively old/slow GPUs if you reduce the quality, by choosing e.g. bilinear resizing and using the trade quality for performance options.
Old 2013-09-20, 20:52   Link #7
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
CCCP has officially supported H.264 10-bit playback since July 30, 2011 and it is possible with EVR.
I've always heard EVR dithered everything down to 8-bit.

Quote:
I would not recommend installing madVR unless the computer has a half decent GPU. CPU alone doesn't matter much for madVR, but it does for H.264 10-bit playback. You can check CPU usage while playing a video to confirm if the CPU is being maxed out.
I wouldn't either, given those specs.

Quote:
This is somewhat true, however I would expect a similarly clocked current gen Intel CPU to suffice for H.264 10-bit playback. I mean Intel i5 or i7, not Atom though.
To be honest I still wouldn't try playing 10-bit with those specs.
Old 2013-09-21, 03:01   Link #8
MentarkMindtaker

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will try each suggestion and report back the results. Thanks again.