AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-04-28, 11:09   Link #81
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
I haven't seen shinsen version of ep2 but shinsen generally has a superior quality of translation, but at the same time gattai doesn't seem to "flow" as well as AIA&I-Z, for a speed sub it's fin, quality wise they are a match with AIA&I-Z but the downside is the file size, which is horrendous. but if you had to choose from Aone of Shinsen on quality alone, go with gattai.
for a speed sub is more then adequate, i've also notice that they also subbed the on screen text in ep4, which is an improvement since ep2, when only shinsen took the time to translate such details. I just hope Aone doesn't chop the eyecatcher for ep4, nothing will beat ep1 eyecatcher, but im still puzzled why they cut it.

ma ne.

Gattai in episode 4 translated the Kyun Kyun thing when Ranka was singing "My boyfriend is a pilot" in "whooosh whooosh"... what the hell is that? A vacuum cleaner?!?
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 11:18   Link #82
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Gattai in episode 4 translated the Kyun Kyun thing when Ranka was singing "My boyfriend is a pilot" in "whooosh whooosh"... what the hell is that? A vacuum cleaner?!?
yeah, but it's a minor niggle, shame they don't have the romaji to sing-a-long but it won't br a speed sub if that was put in.

also got AiA&I-Z of ep4, and i have to say the translation is much more clearer as in the context has been fleshed out, flows more naturally.

You probably won't notice if you just watch gattai, it's only when you watch other version then you start to know that other version had more time to proof read the script.

Oh well, i usually replace gattai with AiA since i like the low file size but keep the same HD quality and the decent subs. not too bothered about none important screen text translation, but i'll probably download shinsen just to find out the alternative translation that was on her phone and such.
Old 2008-04-28, 11:27   Link #83
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
yeah, but it's a minor niggle, shame they don't have the romaji to sing-a-long but it won't br a speed sub if that was put in.
Well there are other ones... like the space shuttle destruction. Gattai says Ranka is one of the survivors, while I-Z that Ranka is the ONLY survivor. It's quite a difference IMHO. Ah and the thing the blue haired Meltradi said when she jumped on the red bug's head: I heard "osoi" and I remember that this word means "it's too slow". When I saw the raw I thought she referred to the beam gun speed, but I-Z translated in "only a scratch". Uhm can you clear this thing please?

Quote:
You probably won't notice if you just watch gattai, it's only when you watch other version then you start to know that other version had more time to proof read the script.
Yes I know but "woosh woosh" isn't a speed error...
But whatever they're the fastest so they're ok for ones who want speed subs.

Quote:
Oh well, i usually replace gattai with AiA since i like the low file size but keep the same HD quality and the decent subs. not too bothered about none important screen text translation, but i'll probably download shinsen just to find out the alternative translation that was on her phone and such.
Menclave video quality + shinsen traslation = perfection.

Last edited by ipernorris; 2008-04-28 at 12:07.
Old 2008-04-28, 12:03   Link #84
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

I think "one of the survivors" is more accurate in context since Ozma survived as well.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 12:07   Link #85
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
I think "one of the survivors" is more accurate in context since Ozma survived as well.
Ok then the perfection would be "she's the only survivor besides me"!
Old 2008-05-01, 18:00   Link #86
andy92

so is this the best macross yet?
andy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 11:10   Link #87
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy92 View Post
so is this the best macross yet?
How can you compare series finished decades ago which have become "classic" with a new one which is airing now? We can give a general evaluation on Macross Frontier only when it will be finished.

Anyway I have a question myself: why does the humanity goes from a star system to another colonizing planets? I mean the colonies are autosufficient environments so why humanity doesn't live on colonies without going around the universe? When a colony is filled up with inhabitants another colony can just be built...
Old 2008-05-02, 12:51   Link #88
Kikaifan
Blazing General

So did the Zentraedi just become the Ctarl-Ctarl or is this old news?
Old 2008-05-02, 13:08   Link #89
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
So did the Zentraedi just become the Ctarl-Ctarl or is this old news?
Old

It started with Do You Remember Love Macross movie.

Then Macross Plus.

Further on Macross 7.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 13:15   Link #90
cerrian

Could someone tell me please what the air times are, that way I know when to avoid the forums for spoilers . Thanks
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 13:59   Link #91
glyph

Quote:
How can you compare series finished decades ago which have become "classic" with a new one which is airing now? We can give a general evaluation on Macross Frontier only when it will be finished.

Anyway I have a question myself: why does the humanity goes from a star system to another colonizing planets? I mean the colonies are autosufficient environments so why humanity doesn't live on colonies without going around the universe? When a colony is filled up with inhabitants another colony can just be built...
It's explained in the prologue. The Earth-Zentradi war decimated the human race on Earth, who were then the only known surviving inheritors of the Protoculture way of life. This was a wake up call to just how fragile humanity's existence in the universe was and how easily their precious "culture" could be lost forever.

To that end, the UN pursued an aggressive policy of colonizing across the galaxy, so that a single system-wide catastrophe, first contact with a hostile wandering Zentradi fleet or other as yet unknown hostile forces could not end everything by wiping out a single world.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 01:31   Link #92
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
This is correct. I goofed a bit on wording and forgot to clean it up after checking it again. Oversight, and all that. You can find notes about snafus/gaffes/etc that I ran into on the I-Z forum.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 16:04   Link #93
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Hey I haven't heard that much about Macross but my friend said I should watch it. Where is it compared to Code Geass? Is it really good?
Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 17:12   Link #94
4Tran

Moved colony discussion posts to Generic thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoFreak1 View Post
Hey I haven't heard that much about Macross but my friend said I should watch it. Where is it compared to Code Geass? Is it really good?
This may not be the best place to ask this question since most of the posters here are here because they like Macross. Having said that, Macross Frontier is nothing like Code Geass aside from the fact that they both have mecha in them. My suggestion is that you give the first couple of episodes a try and see if you like them.
Old 2008-05-04, 18:57   Link #95
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Moved colony discussion posts to Generic thread.

This may not be the best place to ask this question since most of the poster here are here because they like Macross. Having said that, Macross Frontier is nothing like Code Geass aside from the fact that they both have mecha in them. My suggestion is that you give the first couple of episodes a try and see if you like them.
Haha k thanks.
Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 14:24   Link #96
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Ku View Post
Why was there a "rundown" (you know the damaged buildings where basara lived) district in Macross 7? Former Attack?
ah. after re-watching some episode of Macross 7, i managed to find the truth.

So, just for the sake of provide canon factual answers here:

For those who don't want to watch,

Akusho: An unregistered "Island" Class ship, which is directly attached to side of Macross 7 colony City.

Since it is unregistered, it is not factored into the colony planning authority or part of the overall maintenance services, hence it's neglected condition.
Old 2008-05-07, 17:29   Link #97
4Tran

Moved question on Queadluun-Rau to Mecha thread.
Old 2008-05-09, 13:19   Link #98
4Tran

Moved Zentradi size & economy posts to Macross Universe thread.
Old 2008-05-11, 01:59   Link #99
Inquisidor

Send a message via MSN to Inquisidor
Quote:
Well there are other ones... like the space shuttle destruction. Gattai says Ranka is one of the survivors, while I-Z that Ranka is the ONLY survivor. It's quite a difference IMHO. Ah and the thing the blue haired Meltradi said when she jumped on the red bug's head: I heard "osoi" and I remember that this word means "it's too slow". When I saw the raw I thought she referred to the beam gun speed, but I-Z translated in "only a scratch". Uhm can you clear this thing please?
Actually Klan says "asai" which translates as shallow or superficial, or in that scene's context as just a scratch.

As for the survivors issue, well it's clear that Ranka wasn't the only survivor and in ep 5 when Leon summons the people that had contact with the Vajra, among them survivors from the 117 survey fleet.

I only understand like 70-80% of what I hear but I'm really picky on the stuff I can understand. And as such my preference for archival purposes is Menclave's encode, I then extract the script file and edit it combining all 4 groups translations since their right and wrongs are spread among them. Actually one of the early lines in ep 2, only Shinsen & Menclave got it right.

Last edited by Inquisidor; 2008-05-11 at 07:23.
Inquisidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 02:23   Link #100
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisidor View Post
Actually Klan says "asai" which translates as shallow or superficial, or in that scene's context as just a scratch.
Ok thanks for clearing that point. Even "osoi" made sense in that moment because it could be referred to the beam gun recharge rate being too slow thus allowing the Vajra to react.

Tags
q&a