AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-01-15, 04:02   Link #981
Solafighter
Hige

Ou well. I dont know, if that are good or bad news.

Mh~

Btw, does someone know something about the novels? How many excist and how many are aviable(in english)?
Old 2009-01-15, 09:08   Link #982
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Btw, does someone know something about the novels? How many excist and how many are aviable(in english)?
There's just one and there is currently no English translation of it - http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/5-centi...-second-novel/. If you read the summaries, you'll find it covers a lot of detail not found in the movie and I'm guessing they were the cuts that were made. Particularly in the third part of the movie.

I'm going to end up spamming this board with my link

Last edited by Xcomp; 2009-01-15 at 10:32. Reason: Forgot to mention third part...
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 09:10   Link #983
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
OMG......I just wish Taiwan can release the Chinese version of the novel ASAP.
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 10:16   Link #984
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
OMG......I just wish Taiwan can release the Chinese version of the novel ASAP.
I haven't heard any word about it either I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if I can post this here but, there's a fan Chinese translation of the novel on this site:

http://www.douban.com/group/topic/4003978/

I haven't read over it so I don't know how accurate it is. If you don't like reading Simplified Chinese, just paste it into NJStar or something and it can convert it to Traditional
Old 2009-01-18, 11:40   Link #985
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Anyone who loves 5 CM and is also a Minami-ke viewer should check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3cfErbS-A
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 12:23   Link #986
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Anyone who loves 5 CM and is also a Minami-ke viewer should check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3cfErbS-A
Awsomeness FTW.

Not bad.
Old 2009-01-19, 19:31   Link #987
ReneeBurossamu

.... this was the second time I've watched the movie in A YEAR, because it was so heart wrenching. D:

After watching the last few seconds, I just noticed.
The trains have a somewhat large gap between the wheels and the ground.
That would probably leave enough space for the viewers to catch something...

By the way, who was it that stopped writing letters first? In the montage is there only a shot of Takaki not seeing a letter, or is there one of Akari also?
ReneeBurossamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 21:42   Link #988
blue skies
noch einmal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeBurossamu View Post
.... this was the second time I've watched the movie in A YEAR, because it was so heart wrenching. D:

After watching the last few seconds, I just noticed.
The trains have a somewhat large gap between the wheels and the ground.
That would probably leave enough space for the viewers to catch something...

By the way, who was it that stopped writing letters first? In the montage is there only a shot of Takaki not seeing a letter, or is there one of Akari also?
I actually just re-watched 5 Cm/Sec too, and I've fallen in love with it all over again. It always manages to tug at my heartstrings just right, and I always, always end up crying at the end.

As for who quit writing letters first, I honestly don't know. I might have missed it at some point during the film. I always sort of assumed it was Akari, but I don't think it's ever explicitly stated. Besides, I never thought it really mattered who quit writing first, because it wasn't really anyone's fault. They just drifted apart and gradually lost touch with each other. Long distance relationships are incredibly difficult to maintain, and I love how achingly honest 5 Cm is about the problems separation causes and the ways people change and grow apart over time. Bittersweet, but perfect. :>
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 15:22   Link #989
Captain Wright
Back from Purgatory :3

Send a message via AIM to Captain Wright
I watched it a while ago twice, (Japanese then English). It was amazing. The animation was incredible. The story is pretty simple, but it just strikes a chord in you. I don't know how many other people cried while watching it, though. XD
Captain Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 15:26   Link #990
OutSmart
Comic Relief

I didnt watch this movie although I have it for some time now in 1920xsomething definition but my PC doesnt have enough RAM to run it smoothly LOL
Old 2009-02-09, 21:52   Link #991
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
There's just one and there is currently no English translation of it - http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/5-centi...-second-novel/. If you read the summaries, you'll find it covers a lot of detail not found in the movie and I'm guessing they were the cuts that were made. Particularly in the third part of the movie.

I'm going to end up spamming this board with my link
Thanks for the link. I just saw it and thought that the first 2 parts were beautifully done. The third part though, while gorgeously animated, was a mess. I just couldn't figure out what his damage was and how was he still connected to Akari. I wasn't even sure if things were resolved or not. It took the novel summaries that you linked to clear that up and to reestablish the chronological order of things in the 3rd part.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 22:22   Link #992
sonicspin
キョン子主義
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to sonicspin
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...kai-works-on-8
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...c.php?t=113442

CR to stream 5cm with a ""brand spanking-new English dub" by CoMix Wave Films, that is of "extremely high quality" to celebrate "Global Shinkai Day".

Voices of a Distant Star, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days will also be streamed.
sonicspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 23:45   Link #993
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I wasn't impressed with the story too much. I couldn't feel anything for the characters or their lives as the progression went on. At the beginning the story was alright but soon it felt so ordinary and nothing special. The visuals were amazing! Too bad Minori's works couldn't all be animated like that >.>
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 18:59   Link #994
Rion Steiner

I found a new commercial with a Shinkai animation (Yes there should be a name on his kind of animation style since its completely unique to the others, and I'm naming it this way)but it ain't Makoto's work though. Has the melancholic piano melody and almost the same detailing that you find in his works:

There are only 3 very short scenes of the girl in the commercial and each of them has a strong resemblance to the Movie but with a "Canon" result. It seemed as if this commercial was the positive ending (between their relationships) of 5 Centimeters Per Second. Check this out:
Winter Coats:
Spoiler for Winter Coats:

Balcony:
Spoiler for Balcony:

Sakura Promise:
Spoiler for Sakura Promise:

I think this Animation group is trying to say something. But I can only dream can I? Think about it, Takaki could have became a great engineer traveling all over the world if he didnt separate with Akari.
Rion Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 19:11   Link #995
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

are you sure its not his work? i know he did a commercial a while back with a girl chasing a train on a bike. so why not a short for this too?
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 19:15   Link #996
Rion Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
are you sure its not his work? i know he did a commercial a while back with a girl chasing a train on a bike. so why not a short for this too?
Its because there is no Train (3D) in this video, and that is enough proof he never made this.

Im kidding, its actually been discussed in youtube if you find more of these commercials lying around. So far everyone is saying this wasn't his.
Rion Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 20:01   Link #997
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

That commercial wasn't Shinkai's work. Check out Icie's blog about it (Hope he doesn't mind the link!):

http://www.pireze.org/blog/?p=9867

I doubt anyone else would know more than the fan club.

Anyway, thought I'd drop by and let the Makoto Shinkai fans here know it's the first online fan organised "Global Shinkai Day" over at the Cherry Blossoms Forum if you don't know already.

Feel free to drop by and have a chat about his movies anytime within the next 24 hours

http://cherryblossomsfalling.myfastf...rg/forum20.php
Old 2009-02-28, 12:47   Link #998
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
I visited, but I saw no traffic.

Anyway, in keeping with the spirit of the event, I did at least make the effort to rewatch 5 Centimetres per Second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. I don't have anything more to add about 5CM. It's still as good as I remember, although the emotional impact is no longer as strong since I'm now so familiar with the movie.

As for Place Promised, it's as though I'm watching a new movie. I recall being downright disappointed after watching it the first time — I still am, after my second viewing. At least now, though, its plot makes more coherent sense. But I continue to stand by my original analysis: the flimsy science-fiction elements served only to distract viewers rather than strengthen the plot.

It was never really clear why Sayuri had such strong feelings for Hiroki, why she fell into a coma (so what if she's related to the Tower's designer?), why no one seemed perturbed that a bunch of teenagers were about to trigger Armageddon. The plot wanted to take itself seriously, but the facts it presented were far too flimsy for me to suspend disbelief.

So, in hindsight, I'm glad that Shinkai did away with amateurish science fiction in 5CM — a simple tale of two lovelorn teenagers separated by distance became more poignant because emotions, rather than technology, were allowed to take centrestage. On the same note, I'd say that — out of Shinkai's four projects — I liked She and Her Cat and 5CM the most, because of their simple, down-to-earth stories.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 13:13   Link #999
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i always believed that the sci-fi stuff was peripheral to the main plot of the angst produced by her falling into the coma and Hiroki's desire to wake up her. above all, its a love story. and in terms of that, it succeeded.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 14:12   Link #1000
alamarco
Why hello there!

First time I seen any of Shinkai's work. I'm really impressed with what I saw, the guy is a genius.

5 Centimeters per Second was amazing. I watched this first last night. After finishing it, I was touched. I definitely felt a huge rush of emotions coming over me. I watched the dub, which I thought was really good.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days was awesome. It had a similar effect as 5 Centimeters per Second. It had my emotions running high, and really got you thinking.

Voices From a Distant Star was decent. I'm not a big fan of alien or sci-fi stories so I didn't particular get overwhelmed by it. It was still an awesome piece of work.

She And Her Stray Cat were not on crunchyroll so I'll have to view it separately. After seeing all these works I'm probably going to look for them on DVD. Will be waiting for 5 Centimeters per Second though. I really hope they make a release with the new English dub.

Last edited by alamarco; 2009-02-28 at 15:02. Reason: Totally botched the name of the The Place Promised in Our Early Days, fixed it
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai