AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-07-09, 00:22   Link #41
ntsan

So after this we need to wait til August for the proper release? (if it got acceptable rating?)
ntsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 06:48   Link #42
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsan
So after this we need to wait til August for the proper release? (if it got acceptable rating?)
No, the rating doesn't matter, it will air regardless.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 07:32   Link #43
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The simple mention of Maximilien Robespierre has piqued my interest in this anime hundredfold that I have got to watch at least the first episode. His character design looks cool, too. The deceitful and perfidious yet treacherously and deviously intelligent firestarter and gentleman of the Reign of Terror has to be seen in action. Along with Timothy Danton and Jean-Paul Marat, they're among the most unforgettable people in French history; hell, in Western history they're still unforgettable.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 06:43   Link #44
a-chan
*ZZZzzzzzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
The simple mention of Maximilien Robespierre has piqued my interest in this anime hundredfold that I have got to watch at least the first episode. His character design looks cool, too. The deceitful and perfidious yet treacherously and deviously intelligent firestarter and gentleman of the Reign of Terror has to be seen in action. Along with Timothy Danton and Jean-Paul Marat, they're among the most unforgettable people in French history; hell, in Western history they're still unforgettable.
Well, you're mistaken ^^ Danton's full name is Georges Jacques Danton...and it's Maximilien de Robespierre 'cause a was a "bourgeois", well a "noble" if you prefer so you have the particule "de" which refers to his rank...
(huum French revolution...it's reminded me a looot a history class!! Well, I'm french,so it's quite normal XD!!)
And I'm also quite interrested on how they will present all the historic facts....^^
a-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 07:01   Link #45
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-chan
And I'm also quite interrested on how they will present all the historic facts....^^
They are already kinda screwing with it.

Because I don't see how it's historically possible to feature Louis de Orleans, Charles de Beaumont and Maximilien Robespierre at the same time. Duke de Orleans and D'Eon represent the mid XVIII century and Robespierre at the age he is shown could only be in the late XVIII century.

Unless they are going for a time skip on Robespierre...

Hell, Duc d'Orleans (1703-1752) has died 6 years before before Robespierre was born (1758-1794).

Additionally, D'Eon joined Le Secret du Roi, the King's secret service, only in 1756, after Orleans' death, while in the anime he is already involved. Additionaly, comte de Saint-Germain only appeared in Paris around 1758, which would fit with D'Eon's service, but would not fit the fact that Duc D'Orleans was already dead and his son was not yet old enough to be the same guy that was in episode 1.

Well, we'll have to see how it will play out.
Old 2006-07-10, 07:07   Link #46
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-chan
Well, you're mistaken ^^ Danton's full name is Georges Jacques Danton...and it's Maximilien de Robespierre 'cause a was a "bourgeois", well a "noble" if you prefer so you have the particule "de" which refers to his rank...
(huum French revolution...it's reminded me a looot a history class!! Well, I'm french,so it's quite normal XD!!)
Gah! Yes, I stand corrected. I mixed Georges Jacques Danton with Timothy Dalton. Since Marat didn't any people having names similar to other popular people, I remembered him without any aberration.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 07:44   Link #47
wao
OK.

Yeah, the first episode was not to see how the ratings were; I think it was more of a free preview to entice people to subscribe to WOWOW just to watch it. Some people think it's worth it, some wouldn't. Well, if they showed the first ep of Paranoia Agent and I lived in Japan, I would SO subscribe if I had the money.. definitely!!

I have a feeling this will be like a lot of other anime which just use the historical period as a background and manipulate the existing scenario so that they can create their own story. Perhaps use some of the important events that happened and modify things around...

I wonder if there have ever been any anime set in real historical settings and managed to get the facts right - and not from a largely civilian point of view (ala Grave of the Fireflies). Maybe, er, something like Schindler's List or something. (I'm assuming Schindler's List is historically accurate)
Old 2006-07-10, 08:03   Link #48
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Kenshin is fairly acurate. From the same era, Peacemaker Kurogane also seemed somewhat on target as far as historical facts go. Otogizoushi perhaps?

Also, Samurai Champloo revels at screwing with your mind as far as the historical period goes, but I think in the end it all came together.
Old 2006-07-15, 01:45   Link #49
Sakuya
*Artist

Chevalier the special (or is it episode 1) is just out. I wonder if I'll like this. The names are hard to read and it seems like it's about supernatural stuff with political figures (?).
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 03:01   Link #50
ntsan

Well the eng sub are out, and nice background info here by animeyuki
ntsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 09:30   Link #51
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, ep 1 seemed interesting. Although I hope the gore level doesn't get higher than this
Old 2006-07-15, 10:34   Link #52
guess

This is creepy. The dead sister's spirit possesses the little brother's body? When he is "possessed," I think he actually "turns" into his sister! Look at that! But the animation is great. The story seems deep, and all the historical figures. I don't like the supernatural things but, I don't know. I thought it was going to be like Rose of versailles. Nooo....
Old 2006-07-15, 14:25   Link #53
infinius

god. i confused. how the hell he changed to his sister?

and the skeleton is talking to the queen?
infinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 14:39   Link #54
lord yama
Haitoku no Honoo

Send a message via MSN to lord yama Send a message via Yahoo to lord yama
Well i just watched the 1st ep n it was good i just hope that it does not go to hell after a couple eps. The animation was good the story line i guess its ok so i'll keep watching it i hope it gets better. ^_^
lord yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 14:44   Link #55
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I loved the screening premiere ep. ! If Production IG adds more blood, that would be something to see. Sword fights, beheadings etc. went on during that period, right? Bring it on!

Narratives were great in this ep. too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinius
god. i confused. how the hell he changed to his sister?

and the skeleton is talking to the queen?

Spoiler:

I finally found something to replace Fate/staynight. Hope they can keep it up and not disappoint us.
Old 2006-07-15, 20:34   Link #56
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

This was really, really good.... until it turned into a generic vampire-zombie fare with a deus ex machina resolution. It can still turn out to be a winner, but I think the hill it has to climb is far steeper than it was when it looked like it was going to be a historic piece surrounding a conspiracy mystery.

The art is ok to decent, but the animation is glorious. The music is pretty good as well. The pacing is frantic, and I'd almost argue they went a tad too quickly in this ep, although given that we now know what this series is really about, it was probably done to go through the motions of establishing the setting/situation/etc and then getting to the action before ep's end. I expect the next episodes may be a little more tempoed.

The main character is interesting. I'm impressed they managed to make so much of him and his motivations and background when there was so much going on around him in this ep. The rest of the characters... well, they're all either evil or dead, so there's not much to make of them.

Overall, I'm not sure I liked the direction this went in towards to end. I think they ruined a fantastic setting for a good mystery by going down a supernatural action-series path. It's probably a 50-50 bet that this will turn into a winner, but I'll throw my chips at "no".
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 01:55   Link #57
Sakuya
*Artist

I actually feel the opposite and I like the direction in which it's going. Don't you just hate cliffhangers? I wonder if they will rebroadcast this first episode in August before we get to episode 2?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 03:19   Link #58
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
looks interresting. now i understand why main character looked so girlish :/
I just hope they dont screw too much with historical character. i ll keep on watching a few episode hope the rest will keep up with the first episode
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 03:44   Link #59
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Awesome first episode. I love pretendious historical thrillers! Though I didn't think it will be so supernatural, but anyways, we'll have to just wait and see. The direction was really good, especially the camera shifts on the action scenes.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 08:37   Link #60
wao
OK.

Personally the one thing that stuck out like a sore thumb to me was the camera movement and composition... somehow, things moved too smoothly in some bits and it just felt very weird, a little inexperienced.. and the thing is the characters stood out too much from the backgrounds, I felt. This is something I.G. usually CAN do so I wonder what happened here.

But as I watched the thing I just couldn't stop going gaga over the character designs. Who cares if they don't look reeeally French - they're all so well-drawn! And the style and details are so gooood.... I could so easily fall for D'Eon.

He almost looks a little bit like Kenshin from the first OVA series. I fell for those designs 100% right from the start... It's an amusing coincidence to see Kenshin's seiyuu, Mayo Suzukaze, play the role of that little kid in the first ep. And I'm sure we'll see him in the next ep...

Tags
historical, supernatural