AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-22, 22:56   Link #281
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Just saw the movie in raw.

The opening prologue and the last 30 min of the movie was pretty epic stuff. Although there's I've been wondering in that prologue...
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2009-04-23, 12:22   Link #282
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I was really surprised with the amount of new scenes in this, and i'm not talking about the last 30 minutes. Nearly all of the reviews from people who watched this in the cinema did say that it was basically the TV series with a different ending to those events, but boy were they wrong.
Old 2009-04-23, 12:33   Link #283
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp-X View Post
Just saw the movie in raw.

The opening prologue and the last 30 min of the movie was pretty epic stuff. Although there's I've been wondering in that prologue...
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-04-23, 14:08   Link #284
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Just wondering, but does anyone know what's the DVD video size ? 853x480 or 720x480 , or something else ?
Old 2009-04-23, 14:30   Link #285
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I was really surprised with the amount of new scenes in this, and i'm not talking about the last 30 minutes. Nearly all of the reviews from people who watched this in the cinema did say that it was basically the TV series with a different ending to those events, but boy were they wrong.
I dunno, that sounds like exactly what I watched today. The movie is pretty much the TV series with an alternate opening and ending sequence. Content-wise it's definitely a compilation movie as opposed to something "completely different" or whatever. The script and events are exactly what happens in the TV series, but with much faster pace. There are short new scenes inserted here and there to make the transitions smoother, but that's about it. I enjoyed the movie, and felt it covered the first half of the series pretty well without boring me, but aside from the alternate opening and ending events, it's really nothing "new" in terms of content.
Old 2009-04-23, 15:05   Link #286
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I dunno, that sounds like exactly what I watched today. The movie is pretty much the TV series with an alternate opening and ending sequence. Content-wise it's definitely a compilation movie as opposed to something "completely different" or whatever. The script and events are exactly what happens in the TV series, but with much faster pace. There are short new scenes inserted here and there to make the transitions smoother, but that's about it. I enjoyed the movie, and felt it covered the first half of the series pretty well without boring me, but aside from the alternate opening and ending events, it's really nothing "new" in terms of content.
No i'm not saying that. These reviews i'm on about were saying that there were no new material apart from the beginning introduction and the last 30 minutes or so, where both you and i know that there's quite a lot of new scenes here and there within the film itself.
Old 2009-04-23, 15:07   Link #287
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
No i'm not saying that. These reviews i'm on about were saying that there were no new material apart from the beginning introduction and the last 30 minutes or so, with both you and i know that there's quite a lot of new scenes here and there within the film itself.
Are there any substantial scenes you can think of in the middle? Aside from the bunch of still frames and short 5 second scenes in the 4min montage that summarizes ep4-6, I can't really think of any new scenes in the middle that stood out to me at all. Just lots of clever editing with TV footage.
Old 2009-04-23, 15:11   Link #288
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Are there any substantial scenes you can think of in the middle? Aside from the bunch of still frames and short 5 second scenes in the 4min montage that summarizes ep4-6, I can't really think of any new scenes in the middle that stood out to me at all. Just lots of clever editing with TV footage.
Well apart from the music like video scene which covered events from episodes 4, 5, and 6 --- we had a few new scenes which built up to the climax with Kamina, and after.

If i rewatch the movie again at the weekend (which i plan to do), i'll make a post mentioning them, though they are there.
Old 2009-04-23, 15:21   Link #289
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I don't really remember any new scenes aside from the montage scene we both mentioned, so if you can actually track the new scenes added that'll be helpful. I honestly haven't seen GL since it originally aired, so if the scenes look really similar to the TV ones I wouldn't be able to tell them apart honestly. So I don't really blame anyone else for saying that the only real new stuff are at the start and at the end because that's really what it seemed like to me.
Old 2009-04-23, 16:03   Link #290
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I don't really remember any new scenes aside from the montage scene we both mentioned, so if you can actually track the new scenes added that'll be helpful. I honestly haven't seen GL since it originally aired, so if the scenes look really similar to the TV ones I wouldn't be able to tell them apart honestly. So I don't really blame anyone else for saying that the only real new stuff are at the start and at the end because that's really what it seemed like to me.
I'm not blaming anyone either, i was just letting people know. But yeah, will let you know about the new scenes when i rewatch it.
Old 2009-04-23, 16:24   Link #291
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
Just wondering, but does anyone know what's the DVD video size ? 853x480 or 720x480 , or something else ?
The DVD is anamorphic (16:9), so 853x480.
Old 2009-04-23, 16:31   Link #292
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
The DVD is anamorphic (16:9), so 853x480.
That's not really accurate. The resolution is 720x480 for all DVDs and that doesn't chance regardless of aspect ratio. It simply means that the 720x480 frame is stretched out to 16:9.
Old 2009-04-23, 18:50   Link #293
TurinTurambar200

Well, no matter how much of the same the movie was in comparison to the TV series, that 3 second itano circus was awesome.
Old 2009-04-23, 18:52   Link #294
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Quote:
That's not really accurate. The resolution is 720x480 for all DVDs and that doesn't chance regardless of aspect ratio. It simply means that the 720x480 frame is stretched out to 16:9.
oh , I see. makes sense. thanks
Old 2009-04-23, 23:33   Link #295
donoghu

To me, the movie seems more like one in a trilogy.

Spoiler for What I think that might come:

Just got one more thing to add...

- DAI-GUN DOTEN-KAINAAAAN!!!
- ULTIMATE HUNDRED MISSILES ATTACK!!!
- [...MISS...]
- Dai Gurren-dan Shoot!
- [...Critical hit!...]
- [...Dead...]
Old 2009-04-24, 00:20   Link #296
ThEJeDI6911

To the post above me.

Movie 2 is airing in Japan April 25, which is tomorrow =p.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdEX-Yq4lIE trailer just in case some have missed it.
Old 2009-04-24, 09:23   Link #297
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, it looks like the movies are only a 2 parter.

As for movie 1, it really is pretty much the TV series. That said, I do much prefer the pacing of the movie, as I always thought that the Kamina arc was just way too drawn out in the TV series. I really didn't feel much for him because of this, but in the movie my eyes misted more than a couple of times because the impact was really there.

And yeah, them not cutting off Nia's hair gets plus points in my book lol.
Old 2009-04-24, 23:47   Link #298
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Ah now that was a good watch...Enjoyed the new stuff a great deal, but the old was just as fun as I remember it being.

Cant wait for Pt. 2....Need more Nia love.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-04-25, 00:52   Link #299
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Info on second movie rolling in. Someone's got a livejournal posting comments from 2ch.

*SPOILERS IN LINK BELOW*

http://csakuras.livejournal.com/498775.html
*SPOILERS IN LINK ABOVE*

Last edited by Heminga13; 2009-04-25 at 00:53. Reason: Misspelled something.
Old 2009-04-25, 06:29   Link #300
FruitsPunchSamurai
Banned

Someone got to translating the review of the movie here
Spoiler for Translated movie summary:

Thank csakura from Live Journal for the translation.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, mecha