AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-18, 17:04   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Macross Frontier Character Discussion: Grace O'Connor

This enigmatic character was the driving force to move the plot along at a steady pace. You are a Sheryl-fan? You are a Ranka-fan? Then, you ARE a Grace-fan by default. Lovely Grace, through her gentle prodding, also inspired the roles both of these characters would come to adopt eventually to complete the grand scheme of things. I'm also certain Alto-hime would have lost the extension "hime" if he attracted Grace's attention. Of course, that leads to the terrifying image of Alto singing, "Aimo Aimo.." , to attract Grace's divine attention. *shudders*

The thread's purpose is to discuss everything about Grace, and I mean.. e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Just one rule you will need to adhere to when posting in this thread:
  • Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

Have fun!
Old 2008-10-18, 17:11   Link #2
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Hoo, finally, a villain fan place

The no.1 Macross villain Grace O'Connor. Can't say you meet such a character that often.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-10-18, 17:11   Link #3
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Love the rule.

Well, I found Grace to be the most charming villain of an anime series in quite a while. Her cunning and dissimilitude were very well portrayed. I just wished for Sheryl to actually confront her (or Ranka, in regards to her), after being let go so forcefully - it could have led to more drama. But that's nitpicking and not really related to her character.

Anyway, just wished we knew more about her - I mean, how did she end up like she did? Who were the voices inside her head? What was her relationship to Mao Nome? Questions, questions, questions...

Old 2008-10-18, 17:16   Link #4
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
Hoo, finally, a villain fan place

The no.1 Macross villain Grace O'Connor. Can't say you meet such a character that often.
I think of her as villain of the year. I honestly did not see that coming. Even when she was showing dubious signs, I still refused to believe that she was villain until she let loose the Dimension Eater.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-10-18, 17:19   Link #5
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
I love that picture of her. She looks so hot, but so evil at the same time.

Grace gets kudos simply for the scale of her plan. Enslaving the minds of every humanoid in the entire galaxy and using an unstoppable alien race to crush those who refuse to submit? That's audacity for you right there.
Old 2008-10-18, 17:30   Link #6
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I think of her as villain of the year. I honestly did not see that coming. Even when she was showing dubious signs, I still refused to believe that she was villain until she let loose the Dimension Eater.

- Tak
Precisely, she had her secretive smiles now and then but it all turned out upside down when she unleashed DE. Even with all of that we never got to see any of her plans until later in the series.

As Bento mentioned there is so much we don't know about her. Possibilities are immense, I won't say what for though

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-10-18, 18:20   Link #7
ntsan

I wonder if she get "downloaded" somewhere else ala BSG style
Old 2008-10-18, 21:35   Link #8
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

of course she's not "dead". She already had her physical form blown up once. Makes me wonder why no one questioned how she made it out "alive" from the planet getting blown up.

But beyond that, to add to the questions, "how did she gain control of Galaxy?" That would make for a great side story. Did she use another body? Did she have the other "voices" help her? I mean she was touring with Sheryl for at least a year.

Though it might be cheesy i'd love to see more of her in a future macross series.
Old 2008-10-18, 22:30   Link #9
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
of course she's not "dead". She already had her physical form blown up once. Makes me wonder why no one questioned how she made it out "alive" from the planet getting blown up.

But beyond that, to add to the questions, "how did she gain control of Galaxy?" That would make for a great side story. Did she use another body? Did she have the other "voices" help her? I mean she was touring with Sheryl for at least a year.

Though it might be cheesy i'd love to see more of her in a future macross series.
That depends on if she has another body outside of the Galaxy (shot to pieces, as you seen in 25) though. You know, although she can 'upload' to a new host, to maintain an entire station dedicated to her body tactics is not easy, particularly if she wants to hide it from public view.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-10-18, 23:08   Link #10
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsan View Post
I wonder if she get "downloaded" somewhere else ala BSG style
Grace is the Final Cylon.

Given the launch date of Macross Galaxy is prior to 2047 as it is the year of Macross Frontier's launch I think she was already a corporate spy of Galaxy on the 117th Research Fleet.

I think she resents her work is ignored. It is an era where Dr. Chiba pioneered revolutionary fields of science.

Some of which were used by other scientists such as Lawrence of Zola.

The emotion index and fold wave detectors could be derived from his work.
Old 2008-10-19, 19:50   Link #11
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

grace's level of cybernetics makes me wonder if the "body" transfer tech is wind spread or just available to Grace's faction. I mean it's basically a form of immortality at that point.
Old 2008-10-19, 20:42   Link #12
ReddyRedWolf

Likely only Macross Galaxy. They were supposed to be cutting edge in Implant and Cybernetic technology.
Old 2008-10-20, 02:11   Link #13
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Grace is hot. The fact she's an evil cyborg who hacks into government computers as a hobby makes her hotter.

The fact that, underneath her skin, she's made of tentacles, OTOH, is pretty squicky.
Old 2008-10-20, 18:53   Link #14
CeruleaFeng
2qt2bstr8 ♥♥

Send a message via MSN to CeruleaFeng
I for one welcome our new Cylon Grace overlords.

Last edited by CeruleaFeng; 2008-10-20 at 18:53. Reason: lol grammar
Old 2008-10-21, 17:46   Link #15
lars18th

For all we know, Grace could be a tool for a collective mind developed in Macross Galaxy. This collective mind rebelled, destroyed Galaxy and is still roaming around freely somewhere in space giving out orders to cyborg bodies like Grace's.
This collective mind would be a computer, a cyborg or maybe the original Grace. Think man-made copy of the Vajira queen but with the several counsciences (voices) controlling it and trying to speread it out its network.
Now tell me that is not a cool background plot for the movie?
Old 2008-10-21, 17:51   Link #16
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I wouldn't mind a bit. Although, probably we have seen the best part of Grace in the TV series - or maybe she will have an added role in the re-envisioned story of the movie... who knows?

Old 2008-10-22, 00:01   Link #17
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Finally, a well-deserved thread for Grace.

Regarding her resurrection ability, I think the facility is found somewhere in Frontier. Follow-up operations to capture all rebels in Frontier would uncover it. Otherwise, she could still be there hiding or going about in a new body.
Old 2008-10-22, 00:52   Link #18
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I find it also interesting that Grace has a military rank; when she confronts Brera in Episode 24, he addresses her as Taiisa, the Japanese title for an officer in paygrade O6 (either Army/Air Force/Marine Colonel or Navy Captain). Makes me curious to see how she got that rank... unless she was intelligence, or black ops?

...I just realised that Grace is the highest-ranking Macross charecter in a valk No other Macross pilot before her has gotten to O6 as a valk pilot (Roy and Ozma were O4s, Hikaru barely made it to O3, and Max only made O6 after his flying days were more or less over).

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-10-22, 01:04   Link #19
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I find it also interesting that Grace has a military rank; when she confronts Brera in Episode 24, he addresses her as Taiisa, the Japanese title for an officer in paygrade O6 (either Army/Air Force/Marine Colonel or Navy Captain). Makes me curious to see how she got that rank... unless she was intelligence, or black ops?

...I just realised that Grace is the highest-ranking Macross charecter in a valk No other Macross pilot before her has gotten to O6 as a valk pilot (Roy and Ozma were O4s, Hikaru barely made it to O3, and Max only made O6 after his flying days were more or less over).
She definitely was Intelligence or Special Operations - although I suspect her VF-piloting skills were semi-programmed into her, rather than something she initially trained to do BEFORE joining the 117th Fleet to research (spy). Nice to see the Cylon Grace meme spreading, though; she was deliciously evil, actually intelligent (unlike Leon, who tried to screw his way to the top only to fail at the end in many, many ways), and she even managed to avoid most of the Evil Overlord traps EXCEPT the one about making sure to kill the heroes instead of leaving them alive to appreciate how much they'd failed; if she'd managed to off Sheryl before the V-type infection made it to her brain, the final few battles would've gone overwhelmingly in her favor.

Oh, and the look she had on her face when she realized she'd screwed up and was about to ge shot again? Priceless, even with all the tentacles.
Old 2008-10-22, 01:45   Link #20
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
She definitely was Intelligence or Special Operations - although I suspect her VF-piloting skills were semi-programmed into her, rather than something she initially trained to do BEFORE joining the 117th Fleet to research (spy). Nice to see the Cylon Grace meme spreading, though; she was deliciously evil, actually intelligent (unlike Leon, who tried to screw his way to the top only to fail at the end in many, many ways), and she even managed to avoid most of the Evil Overlord traps EXCEPT the one about making sure to kill the heroes instead of leaving them alive to appreciate how much they'd failed; if she'd managed to off Sheryl before the V-type infection made it to her brain, the final few battles would've gone overwhelmingly in her favor.
Agreed; on the other hand she wasn't really doing much dogfighting; probblay had enough skills to move it, but not on Brera's level; that's what the Antares Squadron was there for, afterall. As for leaving the heroes alive, IMO she miscalculated there; she figured that they wouldn't pose too much of a threat. Remember how surprised she was that the Queen's protocol couldn't counteract Ranka & Sheryl's singing? Then again she did think that she had everything lined up and ready...

Quote:
Oh, and the look she had on her face when she realized she'd screwed up and was about to ge shot again? Priceless, even with all the tentacles.
VF-25F: $50,000,000
Railgun slug: $135
The look on Grace's Face: Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's MasterCard.

I believe in miracles.

Closed Thread