Originally Posted by RRW View Post
wait what
He meant Devil Fruit powers.

Must...resist...Fairy Tail...joke...
Old 2012-06-27, 20:11   Link #42
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It's not a character quirk.

In Japanese culture, it's rude to call someone who is above peer (boss, elder, senior, etc) by their name alone. It's called "yobisute", and demanded they be called by honorifics.

That's why I chose "mister", the closest equal to -san in this case, especially since there's an English phrase "That's MISTER (insert name) to you, sir" that matches the situation perfectly.
Old 2012-06-27, 20:27   Link #43
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It's not a character quirk.

In Japanese culture, it's rude to call someone who is above peer (boss, elder, senior, etc) by their name alone. It's called "yobisute", and demanded they be called by honorifics.

That's why I chose "mister", the closest equal to -san in this case, especially since there's an English phrase "That's MISTER (insert name) to you, sir" that matches the situation perfectly.
Still, it wouldn't be uncharacteristic of Oda to have the guy have some sort of honorific quirk...the guy has what looks like a half eaten hamburger on his face, for Oda's sake.
Old 2012-06-27, 20:49   Link #44
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

steak stuck to face is a character quirk, yes. I'm not talking about that though.
Not wanting to be "yobisute" isn't, it's common.
Old 2012-06-27, 23:30   Link #45
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 672
That was not a bad chapter. I hope Zoro gets a crack at CC. That would be awesome if Zoro defeated one of the boss players and not Luffy. But with Welgo guy appearing in the chapter, maybe Luffy will face him instead. Poor Law. What ever Law got himself into, he is way in over his head. Welgo reminds me of Mr. 3 but more mature, serious, and stronger looking. What if Welgo takes out CC? That would be interesting to see. It would give us more insight and it would be interesting to see how CC reacts to him. It would make the plot weirder, who would be the boss in the arch. Seeing Sanji use Mantra reminds me of the Jedi knights. Determining size, power, distinguishing people from animals, and predicting moves. I wonder if you can use Mantra to hide yourself from other Mantra users? That would be an awesome feature. Try and copy other people or creatures signatures so the people using mantra can not tell the difference. Hopefully the next Island the straw hats get to go to is Wano.

Smoker
This whole arch has proven a big disappointment for Smoker. His fighting ability is good but his Logia abilities are pretty much useless. He has also been sidelined pretty much in this whole arch. I hope he gets is body back before all the big guys are destroyed. I would like to see him kick some ass, or a rematch. Hopefully he will show some new logia moves. His moves two years ago were more impressive then they are now.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2012-06-27 at 23:45.
Old 2012-06-28, 00:49   Link #46
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
What I found interesting about this chapter is Kinemon's Fox-Fire Style, cutting fire and all that. I'd assume the same style could be done with other elements.... and seeing as Zoro seems pretty interested in Kinemon's style.... maybe Zoro will learn some moves based on some of these techniques and start attacking with the elements~?
Old 2012-06-28, 01:00   Link #47
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
About Wergo, Virgo, etc, I think I'm just going to call him Hamburger. Much simpler for me. (and it freaked me out at first, that thing on his face )
You know hamberger is grounded meat patty, right?
It looks like a steak to me.
Old 2012-06-28, 06:22   Link #48
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
About Wergo, Virgo, etc, I think I'm just going to call him Hamburger. Much simpler for me. (and it freaked me out at first, that thing on his face )
I think the name's already taken - the gorilla in Foxy's crew had that name or nickname . But yeah, I was like "WTF is that?", though the way he knocked out The Law* was impressive enough for me to ignore it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
What I found interesting about this chapter is Kinemon's Fox-Fire Style, cutting fire and all that. I'd assume the same style could be done with other elements.... and seeing as Zoro seems pretty interested in Kinemon's style.... maybe Zoro will learn some moves based on some of these techniques and start attacking with the elements~?
Yeah, I don't get it - I believe (and hope) that it's his DF that allows him to do that, because having Zoro learn to cut elements now would mean that he doesn't have a strong enough Armor Haki to cut through Logias. Plus, a sword technique to "cut" fire and explosions? A bit weird (too close to a DF power), although not that unlikely...

-------
* VGHS reference
Old 2012-06-28, 06:26   Link #49
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Well, everyone around here called that a hamburger, i just took the word and used it myself. To me those stripes make it look like broiled meat actually. And wich one sounds better? Calling him a mr. hamburger or calling him mr. steak? Someone should make this into a poll
His full name is probably Virgo Steak, LOL
Old 2012-06-28, 09:12   Link #50
Kona
Banned

Ok that steak guy or w/e can't take him seriously. Food on some bodies face? No ... Kinemon said he's from 9th village. Wonder how many village there are in Wano. He seems to be strong but didn't comment on Zoros sword that ryuuma gave it to. I'm sure somebody in Wano will comment about that.
Old 2012-06-28, 09:34   Link #51
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Are you trying to say that Brooke is Yassop's father .
Well.... that's certainly a.... unique idea (and I gotta admit, I'd love to see Usopp's reaction to learning that Brooke is his gramps ).

Quote:
Well, everyone around here called that a hamburger,
Not me. But as far as the meat pasted to his face goes, can't we just compromise and say that it's a salisbury steak instead? I'd think that would at least satisfy both the steak and burger camps for now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Must...resist...Fairy Tail...joke...

Ah yes, clearly Mr. Wergo-san is a Beef Dragonslayer. The bigger the steaks he eats, the more outrageously DEM his powers become! And then Luffy will beat him by borrowing power from 10 years in the future (kinda like he did at ID and Marineford, but without Ivankov's help)!

Well, now that I got all the silly out of my system (for now):

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Chapter 672
That was not a bad chapter. I hope Zoro gets a crack at CC. That would be awesome if Zoro defeated one of the boss players and not Luffy.

Speaking of Zoro, I'm actually a little surprised that you haven't commented on Kinemon so far, especially since he actually caught Zoro's attention with his display of power this chapter. Even if you put aside his DF power, I think he makes for a nice preview for what kind of monsters the rest of the samurai from his homeland may be like.....

However, as powerful as Kinemon and his ability may be, I sort of doubt that he could take on CC. Because the thing is, CC could potentially nullify his fire powers with his gas ability (remember, fire requires oxygen to burn, and I'm pretty sure that Caesar is capable of snatching oxygen away from his opponents). Of course, there's also the chance that Kinemon's ability has other sorts of magic that could help him against CC, but we still don't know for sure what specific type of power he has yet (even if I'm convinced that he's a kitsune mythical zoan).....
Old 2012-06-28, 10:58   Link #52
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Eh...I don't make jokes, I make masterpi...screw it.

Dragon Fruit Power...Dragonslayer...Dragon Fruit Slayer...derp...
Don't ask...I was probably high on something.
Old 2012-06-28, 12:15   Link #53
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
^Dragonslayer fruit, recently eaten (off-panel) by Zoro, who just slayed a dragon. He could teach Natsu & co a few things. (it also explains why he did not go after kinemon's torso)
So, where do you get your crack from?
A lovely old lady from down the street.

I wonder what Zoro's reaction would be if he accidentally ate the Dragon Zoan fruit.

Zoro: *has awesome dragon powers* THIS IS USELESS TO ME!!!
Old 2012-06-28, 13:14   Link #54
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
You know hamberger is grounded meat patty, right?
It looks like a steak to me.
Well doesn't really matter what it is cause to a certain someone it's only gonna look like MEAT!
Old 2012-06-28, 13:19   Link #55
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Man, Wergo made Law his bitch. It's unusual seeing Law have to "bend over" to someone .

Kinemon's fire-cutting ability is very interesting and truly destructive. Seeing that makes me anticipate great things to come from the samurai of the Wano country.
Old 2012-06-28, 13:22   Link #56
marvelB

Quote:
LMAO

So you're reading fairy tail? Never seen you on it's forum...

Well, I DID read it. However, I got so tired of Mashima's method of story structure that I dropped off it a good while back. Well, I guess I might catch up to it one of these days....

And to go back on topic (somewhat):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Well doesn't really matter what it is cause to a certain someone it's only gonna look like MEAT!

You know, now this makes me wonder if Wergo will be the series' first representative of a race of people who have slabs of meat pasted to their faces.....
Old 2012-06-28, 13:28   Link #57
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

You know, now this makes me wonder if Wergo will be the series' first representative of a race of people who have slabs of meat pasted to their faces.....
Luffy would be viewed worst than BB by this race.
Old 2012-06-28, 13:29   Link #58
james0246

Quote:
That sounds really dirty...

---

I'm hoping the new characters name isn't Virgo. And, if it is, I sincerely hope Oda doesn't use the whole Zodiac angle often associated with the word/name virgo.
Old 2012-06-28, 13:52   Link #59
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That sounds really dirty...

.....And the women of said race would have a big, salty sausage protruding from their mouths.

But yeah, as I said before, I'd be cool with Virgo. It wouldn't necessarily mean that his group would have zodiac-themed names, either (and frankly, if Oda were to make zodiac-themed characters, I'd expect them to be based off the chinese zodiac, like the guys introduced in the recent Hunter X Hunter chapters). But apparently, his name isn't German either, so I guess the only way to know how his name is spelled for sure is if Oda himself writes the name in English.....
Old 2012-06-28, 16:12   Link #60
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
.....And the women of said race would have a big, salty sausage protruding from their mouths.
Oh, stop it you
Quote:
But yeah, as I said before, I'd be cool with Virgo. It wouldn't necessarily mean that his group would have zodiac-themed names, either (and frankly, if Oda were to make zodiac-themed characters, I'd expect them to be based off the chinese zodiac, like the guys introduced in the recent Hunter X Hunter chapters). But apparently, his name isn't German either, so I guess the only way to know how his name is spelled for sure is if Oda himself writes the name in English.....
Well, if anything, we'll know when the next data book comes out xD
Closed Thread