AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-04-29, 16:38   Link #1
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Computing & IT with design books!

Starting from this October coming I will be studying a degree based on Computing IT with design (hence the thread title) I just wanted to know if anybody here has studied something similar and if so if you can give me a few tips on what books are helpful with that subject matter. I think I will definitely needs books on java, java script & basic programming.

Thank you in advance to all or any who can help out me out. Cheers.
Old 2012-04-29, 18:16   Link #2
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I find it very hard to learn anything practical without a hands on experience.
For many things IT, this means working with the computer.
In which case I can have the information right there on screen and don't need any books.

Computing theory is a different matter I guess. I always went with the material my professors provided on topic.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 20:52   Link #3
piccahoe
Pain & Determination

The tech world, esp Computer Science/Information System, is full of incompetent people. I don't think you want to go in it.
My boss had to let go of somebody because I end up doing having to do his work and as well as mine because he couldn't do it. He was so cocky and confident, he didn't even want to learn how to do it.
If i knew about this before I wouldn't have gotten in to it and in the long run, I will probably end up hating the thing that I love to do.
piccahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 17:18   Link #4
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccahoe View Post
The tech world, esp Computer Science/Information System, is full of incompetent people. I don't think you want to go in it.
My boss had to let go of somebody because I end up doing having to do his work and as well as mine because he couldn't do it. He was so cocky and confident, he didn't even want to learn how to do it.
If i knew about this before I wouldn't have gotten in to it and in the long run, I will probably end up hating the thing that I love to do.
I can understand that same thing happened to my former love of film making you think computing is full of incompetent people try film making. I'm looking for books because I want to know the stuff I want to be confident in this field I don't want to be a cocky bum I just want to have a proper good passionate job compared to working in retail dead end jobs.
Old 2012-04-30, 22:59   Link #5
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

At work we tend to recruit from within the company and usually get people without a traditional computer science background. We're a C++ shop, so the books that I recommend to new developers are Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo and Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel. I know that Eckel has written a Java version of his Thinking book, so you might look into that (since I think C++ is not a good language to start with). I believe he also used to have downloadable versions of the books on his website.

One of my favorite books on everyday, practical "nuts and bolts" programming is Code Complete by Steve McConnell. I haven't read the second edition, but the first was a huge help to me as a younger developer.

Honestly though, the older I get the more I regret getting into this field. I burned out a long time ago, and now I am running into ageism, which is a huge issue in IT. Best to plan to make big bucks while you can, then bail by 40. I've survived three layoffs thus far, but if I get canned I am either going to have to get into project management or find another career. Unless you are a superstar (and even if you are I've seen far too many people get forced out one way or another) no one wants a programmer/developer over 40.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 00:00   Link #6
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

well if you got a decent internet connection try streaming tutorials too TheNewBoston has some good free video tutorials -> http://thenewboston.org/ and http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 06:37   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
I can understand that same thing happened to my former love of film making you think computing is full of incompetent people try film making. I'm looking for books because I want to know the stuff I want to be confident in this field I don't want to be a cocky bum I just want to have a proper good passionate job compared to working in retail dead end jobs.
So you did a study film making and now want to do this out of all things? Did you like film making and stopped doing it because of those people and then decided meh I'll just throw myself in the same situation just a different degree? Or did you drop out because you couldn't run with the team's level and now want to try something else that will probably end the same way?

Anyway, learning from just books doesn't work, doing just lose tutorials doesn't teach you nothing if you don't use what you learn in them already. You'll just forget the important parts over time.
Had people reading on books for rigging but they still didn't learn anything from it because they weren't using it at the time. By the time they had to use that knowledge they would have to look up everything again and still make many mistakes. The best way is to do a project and use the tutorial as part of the project to learn the entire process and not just one individual. If you don't use the knowledge straight up then it will just fade out in forgetfulness and you'll remember some bits and pieces but nothing useful.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, computing, design, information, technology