Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-22, 10:57   Link #681
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_kungfuman View Post
probably most of the fund goes to Guilty Crown?
None of the funds do. Half of the noitamina block is funded by aniplex, and half by the original Fuji creative block. When they added the extra half hour, that funding came from aniplex. House of Five Leaves, Shiki, Anohana, Wandering son... and now Guilty Crown are the other half and are funded separately and have different production committee makeup. Next season Apollon is the Fuji Creative half, and Tsuritama is the aniplex half.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 10:59   Link #682
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-heron View Post
you mean we got teenagers, awesome fights and, well not really awesome music. I miss the music from the ova.

Never cease to amuse me how people immediately jump to the "They are lesbians!" when it's just friendship... but what the hell, my inner yuri fanboy is happy with what the fandom cranks up because of that.
If you ask me, I can't even recall any title on the noitaminA block that had yuri flavoring in it (yaoi fans had their fill with No. 6 and somewhat with Antique Bakery) so I'm sort of glad Black Rock Shooter is filling that void. Now if only someone green-lits a yuri title for noitaminA whether it's an adaptation or an original work.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:59   Link #683
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
not for writing a decent script though
Why worry about writing a decent script when your almost guaranteed to turn a profit just by having a few popular elements in play. Hell just it being tied to the Black Rock Shooter phenomenon all but guarantees it success since Otaku go batshit crazy for anything remotely tied to Hatsune Miku, even it's it just a design by a guy from a popular music group that got popular on niconico. Yeah BRS has possibly the strangest origin I've heard of in a while. Has there even been something on youtube that has gotten it's own TV show? I'm curious to know...I guess I wouldn't doubt it.

Anyway, the way I see it it all comes down to Otaku's ever increasing lack of standards and ability to care about having decent storytelling. The way I see it they just really REALLY don't care much about that sort of thing. Next season that Sakamichi no Apollon could theoretically have 10x the budget, talent and script writing effort at play compared to Black Rock Shooter and you could be guaranteed that otaku will still care about and support Black Rock Shooter far far more just because it's called Black Rock Shooter.

Again the way I see it there's only one way out of this creative rut and it's to try and build a new audience with variable but at least clear standards and an openess to themes and elements that don't necessarily conform to like the 10 or so things Otaku seem to go for (Maids, Cat Ears, Lolis, School Settings, Cute Girls Doing Cute Things, Idols, Tsunderes, Yuri, Weak Willed Male Leads, Infirm Doll Like Girls Lacking Personality) and to do that creators are going to have to be willing to tough it out, take some losses early on and really get down to some market research. Unfortunately Japan minus the odd really creative guy that comes along in any given section of the entertainment industry maybe twice a decade tops really doesn't like taking risks or trying to break from what has worked in the past so we're probably going to continue down this path of 50% direct otaku pandering anime and 50% stuff that doesn't necessarily appeal directly to otaku for a while until some creator like a Satoshi Kon or a Miyazaki emerges once again and can somehow rally and speak to the rest of Japans population without having to rely on the otaku audiences support.

As for the show itself, really not a whole lot I can say about it. I watched the first episode and it was pretty textbook. 90% cute girls doing cute things and talking about vague lighthearted concepts and 10% concept music video of Black Rock Shooter doing stuff in wonderland. All the transitions were quite awkward and not much managed to leave an impact. If people asked me to describe the episode I can tell them there was a creepy girl in a wheelchair, some girl that liked playing with dolls and a vaguely emo looking girl in a midriff bearing outfit that sat around looking like she was stuck in a trailer for the next Kingdom Hearts game.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 13:23   Link #684
dan-heron

wasn't Malkuth talking about Guilty Crown?

anyway, was that really the only thing you got from the first episode? Wow.
dan-heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 19:34   Link #685
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
Again the way I see it there's only one way out of this creative rut and it's to try and build a new audience with variable but at least clear standards and an openess to themes and elements that don't necessarily conform to like the 10 or so things Otaku seem to go for (Maids, Cat Ears, Lolis, School Settings, Cute Girls Doing Cute Things, Idols, Tsunderes, Yuri, Weak Willed Male Leads, Infirm Doll Like Girls Lacking Personality) and to do that creators are going to have to be willing to tough it out, take some losses early on and really get down to some market research.
They tried. They failed to make money out of it. Anime isn't free, you know.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 19:52   Link #686
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
They tried. They failed to make money out of it. Anime isn't free, you know.
^ For truth brother.

The only thing that people can do now is just to make it awesome. Look at Rinne no Lagrange. It isn't original, the concept is plain and morally ambiguous. We all know the main purpose of this anime is to advertise Kamogawa. Money.

And yet the plain plot is awesome. The CG is awesome. The characters are awesome.

Sorry, "Awesome" is not enough an adjective to describe the show.

P.S.
Or maybe because it DIDN'T AIR IN NOITAMINA.

Last edited by djmaca; 2012-02-22 at 20:30.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 23:45   Link #687
silvercover
Romance Expert

I wish they just stuck with standing on its own rather than following the OVA route.
they have a hell of a lot of characters, enough to at least get 12 episodes:
black★devil girl
black★matagi
insane black★ rock shooter
white rock shooter
death scythe
demon cannon user
dragon slayer
geshumaru
great black sword
maid gunner
ninja zero two
underworld vulcan

probably more but you get the picture. they can focus wholly on the otherworld while retaining some SoL scenes with the characters. there's a ninja and a maid too, so im sure it wouldnt be just fighting scenes.
it also sort of makes the B★ name pointless if only BRS and BGS are the characters in the show and they dont even have a special connection with each other(like maybe allies, have the same goal, or something).
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 16:10   Link #688
dan-heron

well, just saw the newest raw episode -with wrong audio-.

Spoiler for Episode:

I really wish we had all the episodes ready. I want to know what's really going on. The series started slow, but it got better

EDIT:

After finally watching the Subs

Spoiler for Kagari and Yomi:

and from the Preview

Spoiler for Next episode preview:

Last edited by dan-heron; 2012-02-23 at 19:05.
Old 2012-02-23, 19:06   Link #689
Elestia

Well Yomi snapped, adding to the list of growing mentally unstable girls to this show. The writers seemed to have some weird fetish for making schoolgirls suffer mental breakdowns and go through an emotional collapse. I had some slight hopes that Dead Master would change back to her original form when they added that huge chain cocoon. I was half disappointed at the outcome. They did add the two floating skulls that accompany Dead Master, but not her physical appearance. They also spawned some minions that screams "I AM CANNON FODDER".

Apparently, if a character's alter-ego is destroyed or killed by BRS then their real life counterparts experience some sort of amnesia. They lose their memories associated with their obsessions.

Still not a fan of the "crazy girls = drama" shtick. Kagari was surprisingly adorable wither her hair tied up.
Old 2012-02-23, 19:23   Link #690
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Apparently, if a character's alter-ego is destroyed or killed by BRS then their real life counterparts experience some sort of amnesia. They lose their memories associated with their obsessions.
Yeah, Kagari isn't "cured". She and Kohata merely forgot what they cared about/were obsessing about, due to what happened in the other world.

If you forget your pain instead of dealing with it, this will always lead to an even greater despair.

And to make matter worse, Yomi is the epicentre of it all. All of what's been happening was BGS/Saya's plan to make Yomi snap.
Old 2012-02-23, 19:57   Link #691
dan-heron

seems there's a relation of how powerful they are and how much they have suffered.
Old 2012-02-23, 20:30   Link #692
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Well this was a bit of a twist. Never considered the fact that those who are "cured" in actuality just end up forgetting all about the person or thing that was the source of their psychological strain entirely. I guess if you don't remember it, then the mind can't stress over it.

Saya's definitely up to something though. If it wasn't for that little push she gave to Yomi then she probably wouldn't have mentally degraded as far as she did. Her motive is still very unclear at the moment.

Strength made her first appearance too, even if it was short. I'm not sure if her presence is very significant at all though. I guess we still have half the series left so maybe she'll be more prominent there.

With all this huge set-up I smell a very action-packed episode next week. BRS is gonna go up against Dead Master's entire army? That's bound to to be awesome.~

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-02-23 at 20:48.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 20:31   Link #693
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Great Scott, Kagiri's tall and that was a quick turnaround for her. Also a very quick turnaround for Yomi.

Quote:
If you forget your pain instead of dealing with it, this will always lead to an even greater despair.
Your pain is also part of what makes you who you are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzJAebfEIg
Perhaps one of the only good things from the 5th Star Trek movie.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 20:38   Link #694
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
With all this huge set-up I smell a very action-packed episode next week. BRS is gonna go up against Dead Master's entire army? That's bound to to be awesome.~
Let's not forget that if BRS kills Dead Master, Yomi will forget about Mato... And if that happens, Mato will go crazy, and there won't be anyone else to save her.

So, to avoid more shit happening, BRS has to stop/defeat Dead Master without killing her, or else, everything will be lost for good.
Old 2012-02-23, 21:08   Link #695
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Let's not forget that if BRS kills Dead Master, Yomi will forget about Mato... And if that happens, Mato will go crazy, and there won't be anyone else to save her.

So, to avoid more shit happening, BRS has to stop/defeat Dead Master without killing her, or else, everything will be lost for good.
Not for good.
Bonds may be broken. You can still repair/create them again.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 21:26   Link #696
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You know, I think something like this may happen eventually, mainly because there's been hints lately that Insane Black Rock Shooter will be in the series. (Namely, the figurine that was posted a few pages back.) Contrary to the popular opinion that IBRS is a fusion of BRS and BGS, I think in this continuity IBRS may actually come as a result of a change in Mato's psyche. The name suggests a negative one, but since Mato is the protagonist, I'm thinking otherwise too.

Oh I forgot to mention, what was with that scene where it just held on Yomi for 30 seconds straight while she buried her head in her pillow? Was there seriously nothing they could have inserted there? Or was it just laziness?
Old 2012-02-23, 21:38   Link #697
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention, what was with that scene where it just held on Yomi for 30 seconds straight while she buried her head in her pillow? Was there seriously nothing they could have inserted there? Or was it just laziness?
An attempt to compete with the elevator scene in Evangelion? It failed, though, since there was still music.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 21:54   Link #698
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 4:
Old 2012-02-23, 22:13   Link #699
dan-heron

You know, from the preview, I'm a bit more interested on the fact that:

Spoiler:

EDIT:

Here's the next episode preview

Spoiler for Episode 5 preview:

You know, Rock doing gun kata with her cannon is kinda awesome now that I'm looking for details...
Old 2012-02-23, 22:25   Link #700
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Well this was a bit of a twist. Never considered the fact that those who are "cured" in actuality just end up forgetting all about the person or thing that was the source of their psychological strain entirely. I guess if you don't remember it, then the mind can't stress over it.

Saya's definitely up to something though. If it wasn't for that little push she gave to Yomi then she probably wouldn't have mentally degraded as far as she did. Her motive is still very unclear at the moment.

Strength made her first appearance too, even if it was short. I'm not sure if her presence is very significant at all though. I guess we still have half the series left so maybe she'll be more prominent there.

Saya did tell Yomi the cold truth. If you are gone, life goes on.

Yomi is the poster girl for an abused partner. She had low self-esteem. Her worth was validated by being in a relationship with Kagari. Kagari no longer needs her due to not even remembering her and just plain wanting out. So Yomi flips out.

Tags
action, slice of life