AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-08-19, 00:49   Link #1
Chachi

Manga Publishing Companies

I'm not sure if everyone pays as much attention to publishing companies as I do, but I wanted to know what everyone else's opinion on publishers was.

I know that it's been a hot topic lately how Tokyopop is totally falling out of favor with fans, including myself, but other than that, I don't generally see people discuss publishers.

So, my questions are: What is your favorite publishing company? Why? and Which is your least favorite? Why?

My Opinion:
Del Rey would have to be my favorite, I think this company is amazing, I started with three of the first series that they released and got them when they were new. Those series now cover a large amount of my bookshelf and since I started reading their publications, I've started several more series published by them and up until recently, I checked the site regularly. On top of them having some of the longest volumes ever, they also add pages of extras, keep the honorifics and have the smallest amounts of Ads ever. I think this company is amazing and they publish 4/5 of my favorite series!

Coming in second is Viz media, they have the two component companies Shoujo Beat and Shonen Jump. This company is amazing as a whole, they've done a lot to get to where they are and are true geniuses. They publish quite a few titles on my shelf and they publish 1/5 of my favorite series.

My least favorite company is Tokyopop which has been Americanizing a lot lately in a bad way and is cutting production. I recently made a decision to stop supporting their company just as soon as I complete the unfinished series in my collection that are published by them.

Also, if you want to know more about my opinion on publishing companies, I actually wrote an article that was published on Associated Content about it, and you are more than welcome to PM me or respond on this forum for the link to it. =]
Old 2008-08-19, 00:58   Link #2
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

well as for me no offense bit isnt it the writer who writes the story and even do the art in a manga not the publisher???

but still thanks to them it is being veiwed by many local and international people

stillit is kinda boring to make to much notion for them they are all in it for the money wich ofcourse make everyone go round hehehehe

still as long as a manga easily or rather affordable and almost available in any book store im happy
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 02:41   Link #3
feRfe

I don't even get the concept of a publisher. All they do is print/advertise and you have to pay them 50%+ of profits? Can you directly sell to a bookstore instead of going to a publisher?
feRfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 02:54   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by feRfe View Post
I don't even get the concept of a publisher. All they do is print/advertise and you have to pay them 50%+ of profits? Can you directly sell to a bookstore instead of going to a publisher?

Japanese publishers play a huge role in the creation of a manga and yes, they are very much necessary. I shan't go into detail but keywords editors, business management, shelf space, and deadlines should bring some ideas to mind...I hope.

US publishers translate the damn stuff for us, 'nuff said.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 03:21   Link #5
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Tokyopop have gone back to being Mixx again.

Del Rey are good and getting better, especially now they're branching off into light novels as well.

Viz (Shonen) sucks, always has and probably always will. They don;t listen to the fans, and when they do listen they do the opposite of what the fans say.

Viz (shojo) kick ass basically. Far from perfect by any means, but the editors and translators for the shojo line actually care about their titles, unlike the shonen line up.

Yen Press. The gods of manga. The best publishers in every department, and better yet they actually talk to the fans!!

Seven Seas. Should burn in hell. They put out a qualirt product, but their customer service sucks and refuse to accept the blame for their own screw ups. Seem to lumber from one fiasco to the next. How they're still in business is beyond me.

Dark Horse. The power House of manga.

ADV. errr are they still doing manga >.<

Infinity. One of the best publishers, in their day. Sadly their day has gone by a looooong time ago and the only one that dosent seem to realise is themselves.

CMX. Only had a few series from these guys, but they do a pretty good job of the ones i have picked up.

And yes, you can go straight to book stores with your works. The problem is you'll never get beyond being a local seller that way. Publishers as well as doing the above management side, buy shelf space from chains of book stores. spend money on promos and stuff, something you can not do alone, unless you're mega rich. Self publshing is very hard, and very few authors survive on that route. Most are actively seeking representation and use self pub as a platfor to show of their stuff

Last edited by Tiamat's Disciple; 2008-08-19 at 18:52. Reason: added CMX
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 18:18   Link #6
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

You forgot about Dr. Master and CPM Manga

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 18:51   Link #7
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

not really, CPM have been dead for ages so it wasn't worth listing them. Dr Master, i don't have anything by them, havent read anything by them either.

Only release of theirs i want is Shingetsutan Tsukihime which is out of print (the first 4 volumes).
Old 2008-08-19, 18:54   Link #8
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Japanese publishers play a huge role in the creation of a manga and yes, they are very much necessary. I shan't go into detail but keywords editors, business management, shelf space, and deadlines should bring some ideas to mind...I hope.

US publishers translate the damn stuff for us, 'nuff said.
They are also a huge resource of assistants for touch up in the manga world.
A wantabe steps in to one the publishers to show off their projects,at that point if they have something to offer but still needs brushing up, then they send them as an apprentice to one of the big name artists that needs help. It's a win-win situation actually since the big name artists/authors can prioritze their work, the publishers can manage deadlines and the wantabes can gain much needed experience in a real world working environment.
Without this kind of system a once a week deadline is impossible.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 19:36   Link #9
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Cream of the crop for me would have to be Dark Horse. They've been at it for a while so it's a given. My only problem with them was how Narutaru turned out. ;_;

Next up is Viz Media. Great titles, including the Junji Ito stuff, but I just kinda wish they did colour pages in all their releases.

Honorable mention to Yen Press. Although they are small and not a "proven" publisher, they're shaping up pretty well. Also, it doesn't hurt that they've licensed some of my favorites. A majority of the stuff they carry right now is manhwa, though.

ADV Manga... where's my Yotsuba&? Without mentioning the older stuff, all they really have going for them now is that series and Gunslinger Girl. Also, they lose points for jumping ship with Aria leaving it in the hands of TP (more like toilet paper, amirite?) The future is bleak, which is a shame - I really liked how AzuDai, Chrono Crusade, and Mantei Loki ragnarok turned out.

As for TP, I guess the main problem with them is they've wrapped up some of their powerhouse series recently and have yet to fill in those holes (Fruits Basket comes to mind). I've heard that big name moonland publishers have locked themselves in with specific American ones now, so that kinda narrows it for TP even more since that kinda deal hasn't materialized for them.
They lose points for the inconsistent mess Aqua and Aria turned out to be.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 19:42   Link #10
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
not really, CPM have been dead for ages so it wasn't worth listing them. Dr Master, i don't have anything by them, havent read anything by them either.

Only release of theirs i want is Shingetsutan Tsukihime which is out of print (the first 4 volumes).
Tsukihime 1-4 volume set can be had on Amazon for $16 + shipping.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 20:38   Link #11
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Tsukihime 1-4 volume set can be had on Amazon for $16 + shipping.
Not in the UK

Buying from amazon.com in the UK is cheap, but they hit you hard in shipping. It usually ends up costing more than the manga does, unless you take the cheap option, in which case you have to wait upwards of 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

It's gone out of print twice already, but it does come back in sooner or later thankfully. Though usually by the time it has i'm buying something else lol
Old 2010-04-30, 02:02   Link #12
Tanaka Tarou

I honestly don't trust publishers, and dare I say it I also don't trust Del Rey.
Don't believe me? Read these:

http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=407

http://www.sarahpin.com/2009/11/30/matt-thorn-is-harsh/

Packaging is nice and all, but it doesn't count as much as the quality/essence of the translation.
Tanaka Tarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 01:37   Link #13
alamarco
Why hello there!

Yen Press is quickly becoming my favourite publisher. Most of the time I'm now hoping my favourite series get licensed by them. When ever I pick up a manga by Yen Press I can just feel the difference. The pages are thicker, the printing is better, everything is just better with Yen Press.

Tokyopop is the opposite of Yen Press to me. I appreciate the work they do and they're bringing me some good series, but when I pick up a Tokyopop manga it just feels so cheap.

Del Rey quickly fell to my most hated. I've been collecting School Rumble and now find out the next volume will be an omnibus format. So the collection is now ruined. Not only is it going to look like crap, but I no longer will get the cover art on each volume. Some people might argue that it's better than nothing at all, but to me ruining my collection is a big deal. Now I probably won't even buy Suzuka knowing that it is going the same route. No point in starting a collection you know will be ruined.

Viz is probably my second favourite. Out of all my manga, a lot of it is from Viz so they seem to be in the right genre. They are no where near Tokyopop's cheapness, but they aren't Yen Press either.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 08:59   Link #14
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I have no say when it comes to translator-publishers, but I gotta say Viz has major minus points for taking down the novel of Shakugan no Shana even though they just translated TWO out of the 20 novels existing. And their current progress in the novels is zip.

Might be off-topic, but it goes to show that even publishing companies can be stingy sometimes.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote