AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-08-03, 13:47   Link #1
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Will this contraption work?

I am planning to upgrade my computer (Rome 2: Total war is coming out soon), video card and PSU to be specific and I would like to know if the end result will work.

These are my planned specs.
Motherboard: Gigabyte - 880GMA - USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 960T processor (3.6 Ghz)
Ram: 8 GB (2x4 Gb)
Power supply: Corsair Modular PSU CX600 (I have Gigabyte Superb 550P at the moment)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD7870 or GeForce GTX 660. (Currently I have ATI R5770 Hawk)

As far as I know, the Gigabyte PSU could support either one of the new GPU's, however, it might experience some problems, that's why I'm upgrading to the Corsair.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2013-08-03, 16:00   Link #2
spikexp

It is correct.

You can go with the cx500, it more than enough for your computer.

Just watch out, most current corsair PSU have noise problem.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 17:16   Link #3
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

That can't be right. For the first time someone doesn't point out an obvious parts conflict I might have failed to notice!

I finally managed to find the components that won't cause compatibility conflict with the ones I already have!

---

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll check out the cx500 and see what's the price difference.

As for the noise, have you cleaned out the dust from your PSU (yeah, it's kind of an obvious question)? Or is it because of something else?

I recall I had a noise problem with my GPU, but then I oiled it and it's working fine.
Old 2013-08-03, 18:31   Link #4
spikexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
As for the noise, have you cleaned out the dust from your PSU (yeah, it's kind of an obvious question)? Or is it because of something else?

I recall I had a noise problem with my GPU, but then I oiled it and it's working fine.
In the last 6 month, I had 2 tx750, 2 ax760 and a ax760i. Only the ax760i did not had any noise problem. And the ax760i is dead now.
I know my way around a computer, I know what I do.
The TX750 has a fan noise problem when the fan is about to start (but does not).
The AX760 has a coil whine (electrical whining) constant noise.

Those problem seem to have been reported on almost all new corsair psu.

You have a standard motherboard, cpu, graphic card. Almost any recent quality (and by that, I mean not complete non-standard crap) will work. Only need enough wattage.
Old 2013-08-03, 20:14   Link #5
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Well you're obviously more knowledgeable about computers than I am. Especially in the tiny details.

Is there any other PSU you would recommend? I considered the Corsair because I've heard they're the best ones out there. Or at least among the best.

Either way I am certain there has to be another brand which is a good alternative.
Old 2013-08-03, 21:37   Link #6
spikexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Well you're obviously more knowledgeable about computers than I am. Especially in the tiny details.

Is there any other PSU you would recommend? I considered the Corsair because I've heard they're the best ones out there. Or at least among the best.

Either way I am certain there has to be another brand which is a good alternative.
I would not say to not buy corsair. It really depend on many factor. My computer is optimized for silence, my GPU fan barely turn (really, 1% under and it stop), watercooled CPU with great fan at low noise. I am also siting 2 foots from my computer.
So I would hear such sound a lot more than if I had a "normal" computer.

I can't really comment on other PSU, before than I had a antec TP3-500 for five years. Those are the only PSU I had, now I have an older Seasonic M12II 620w bronze.

Depending where you intend to buy from, rosewill PSU seem to be getting some good attention these day.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182066
Old 2013-08-04, 07:02   Link #7
sa547
*Author

@Comrade: I don't why you should not get a Seasonic PSU, as almost everyone who has a gaming rig swears by it, especially as you can get an RMA should it breaks down unexpectedly within the warranty period.
Old 2013-08-16, 13:20   Link #8
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Just upgraded my PC. Deiced to go with the Corsair cx500 PSU and everything works fine.
Thanks for the advice, spikexp!