AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-10, 08:07   Link #61
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Fate Zero did only win 2 genre awards: Action/Adventure & Fantasy (and well I voted for it in action).

As for its other awards I think it would be unfair to say if you win genre awards you can't win character or music awards.
But then popular series tends to win everything despite only be the best in one or two sections. This year fsn and madoka the last. We try to prevent the popular one sway vote afterall
Old 2013-02-10, 08:41   Link #62
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Here's the thing...

If a show has the best female lead, the best male lead, and/or the best antagonist, then that may well give it an edge on the competition in genre-based categories

Likewise, if a show has the best Soundtrack, the best Storyline & Plot, and/or the best Visuals & Animation, that may also give it an edge on the competition in genre-based categories.

All of these awards say something about the quality of a show; they all contribute positively to its quality. If a show is in the Action-Adventure category, and it has the best Storyline & Plot, the Best Male Lead, the Best Antagonist, and the Best Soundtrack, then those are four big edges it has on other Action-Adventure shows. Is it any wonder that it ends up winning in Action-Adventure?

So while I do think you sometimes get a bit of a hype/halo effect going, I also think that having strengths in one category can give you a natural edge in other categories too.

And honestly, of all of Fate/Zero's 2012 awards, the only one I find particularly questionable is "Soundtrack". But then, this is where overall reputation came into play, for good or for ill. I honestly think that if Guilty Crown's OST belonged to almost any other 2012 anime, that OST would have won. But because it belonged to the heavily bashed Guilty Crown, a lot of people just didn't want to reward it...
Old 2013-02-10, 09:01   Link #63
Kirarakim

I admit right out I would not vote for something if it excelled in one minor category if I really disliked it. That's not fair but well these aren't the Academy Awards so a little bias should be allowed.
Old 2013-02-10, 10:23   Link #64
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Most of these issues have cropped up in earlier years, usually in the equivalent post-mortem after the winners have been determined. The only problem I see with this year's results is Fate/Zero winning in two genre categories. I've argued since the awards began that series should only be allowed to compete in one genre category, even if they top the nominations in multiple categories. In 2010, for instance, Cross Game won in a variety of categories including all three of sports, drama and romance along with its well-deserved accolade as series of the year. Of course, this problem arises because the genres themselves are not well-defined. "Slice-of-life" is typically the most problematic since we cannot even define it all that well, and there are few true slice-of-life shows in a given year.
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 10:29   Link #65
Kirarakim

I think limiting a series to just one genre might be too much. I do understand it would cut down on the awards it can win but sometimes it is hard to decide where a show belongs.

For example take Shin Sekai Yori that to me excels in sci-fi, horror, and drama. In the current rules I would have to cut out one so I would probably cut drama and stick with the Sci-fi & horror nomination. But if I only had one I would not know what to choose and might not nominate at all, and instead wait for the voting round.

Of course if there are multiple strong series in one genre then it is easier to cut one of those series if they can compete in other genres, but that is not always the case.
Old 2013-02-10, 11:14   Link #66
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I think limiting a series to just one genre might be too much. I do understand it would cut down on the awards it can win but sometimes it is hard to decide where a show belongs.
I understand the issue and have faced it myself when making nominations in earlier rounds. As I said, this year turned out better than I expected. For a while it looked like Fate/Zero was going to win in every category it was nominated for.

I generally dislike genre as a method of categorization since really strong shows can excel in a variety of areas (Cross Game again being an example as is Chihayafuru). But genre has become entrenched as a method for classifying anime so it's always going to be used for the Choice Awards.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 12:06   Link #67
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I don't understand the problem with Fate/Zero winning both Action and Fantasy.

It's not like they are mutually exclusive.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 16:00   Link #68
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Honestly... with all respect to the people who worked so hard on this, I think it's just too much of a PITA to vote.
Quote:
Obviously not everyone is going to give written feedback, but just voting on one of our regular polls seems easy enough, and I would also suggest creating a sticky to make it visible.
Well, as feedback seems to be asked for :
I can't talk for others, but personnally what made me not vote in the end wasn't the effort involved, but rather that :

- I found there was too many categories, diluting the whole contest.
- I didn't like many of the nomations.
- Related to the two previous points : it felt more like a very few shows were basically lobbied for, and ended up being present and winning most of the categories.
It's a common problem with "popularity contests", which favour more the most common/popular series and not necessarily the "best" ones. But the setting of these awards tends to multiply this effect.

Hope this was a constructive feedback
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:33   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with results. I'm delighted that Chihayafuru won Best TV series, I thought it would go to Fate/Zero gain. Very happy with Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou winning best comedy as well, even if I think Gintama deserved it more. Sadly, there are not a whole lot of Gintama fans around these parts.
Old 2013-02-10, 17:36   Link #70
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
An alternative solution would be of course to just have an offsite helper page that generates the code, since as I understand it writing the list manually is the whole issue here. (in your case at least)
I think that could be a nice solution to encourage even the lazier, so to speak, voters. A sort of step-by-step system, or category-by-category system. Surely it would cost an extra effort for the already great work of the organizers of this contest.
The other main issue that I agree with, is the lack of marketing. Other than add a sticky thread, another solution, that wouldn't not involve directly the AS staff, is making a few catchy ads to use as signature linked to the 3d, for the duration of the contest and preliminaries. Asking a friend to use it, then to a friend of a friend, an so on.
A step ahead could be even using promoting ads, like, using this year as example, Chitanda gazing eyes forcing you to vote for her or Chihaya inflamed eyes asking to play Karuta to vote for the series or whatever you'd want to promote.

Speaking of the results anyways I thing that some winners wouldn't have win with a wider audience, namely Tari Tari. I didn't expect it to win against Hyouka. So I'm pleased. As I'm really pleased by Chihayafuru winning the best tv series, I would have bet on F/Z for that category. And for Another, not that it had much contenders, but keep reading a lot of complaints about that show, even if I know part of them are deserved, felt a bit exaggerated.

Oh, I agree with Triple_r about Guilty Crown OST. In my opinion it was really outstanding, but because the show itself was a disappointment it didn't get the right merit. I, even if I didn't like Hyouka one bit, couldn't avoid voting it for the Best Visuals & Animation.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 18:24   Link #71
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And honestly, of all of Fate/Zero's 2012 awards, the only one I find particularly questionable is "Soundtrack". But then, this is where overall reputation came into play, for good or for ill. I honestly think that if Guilty Crown's OST belonged to almost any other 2012 anime, that OST would have won. But because it belonged to the heavily bashed Guilty Crown, a lot of people just didn't want to reward it...
Touché. I didn't vote for Guilty Crown because I didn't want to reward anything from that awful show. Having it win something could have led people to watch it, and I can't bear this responsibility. I realize this is unfair to the composer, but I just hate this anime that much

That said, I think Fate/Zero's OST was also excellent and not undeserving of the award. I could have also voted for Sakamichi but I didn't, and I have nothing against this anime (I enjoyed it quite a bit, in fact). So it's not like I voted specifically against Guilty Crown.
Old 2013-02-10, 18:40   Link #72
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

That said, I think Fate/Zero's OST was also excellent and not undeserving of the award. I could have also voted for Sakamichi but I didn't, and I have nothing against this anime (I enjoyed it quite a bit, in fact). So it's not like I voted specifically against Guilty Crown.
Fate/Zero's OST isn't bad, but I honestly wouldn't call it excellent. It pales in comparison to Kajiura's Tsubasa and Madoka Magica work.
Old 2013-02-10, 20:37   Link #73
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Really, I can't understand the argument that it's a pain in the ass to vote. You paste and type - how hard is that? If that's the problem than I despair for anime fandom in general. I admit the nomination process is slightly more time-consuming, but that's fine - if a smaller number of voters participate in that phase it'd be no different from the Oscars, where apart from Best Picture the other category noms are only voted on by their respective branches, and some (Documentary, Foreign, etc.) by a committee.

For me, the best answer is to promote the event within the site - via banners, etc. Let people who don't usually browse the General Board know the vote exists. I'd rather not see it taken off-site in any way - it's an Animesuki event and it should be conducted in-house.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 20:47   Link #74
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Fate/Zero's OST isn't bad, but I honestly wouldn't call it excellent. It pales in comparison to Kajiura's Tsubasa and Madoka Magica work.
This is how I felt, it is good, but compared to Madoka and .hack to me it wasn't nearly as good as it should have been, or honestly even SAO's was a bit stronger to me.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 04:13   Link #75
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well as a resident Fate/Zero fanboy, I just have to chime in that I think it was deserving of every award it got and thensome. The OST is definitely on par with Madoka's IMO. Both pale in comparison to KnK though. Wish it also took best TV series, but I don't have a qualm with Chihayafuru winning it (Excellent series as well and is in my top 3 for the year).

Anyhow, I keep saying that these awards become a little meaningless when we have so many categories. We need to cut down on the insignificant categories (Best ongoing series is a complete joke and is essentially meaningless - what if these series have bad endings, what then???). If we give a shining star to everything, then nothing really stands out as special anymore.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 04:24   Link #76
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I'm just stunned that aside from Chihayafuru, categories were won by generic titles in droves.
I don't see how Hyouka is a generic, dime-a-dozen anime... or Another, or Danshi Nichjou, or Jinrui, or Shin Sekai Yori...
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 04:25   Link #77
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Generic = I don't like it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 06:19   Link #78
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Anyhow, I keep saying that these awards become a little meaningless when we have so many categories. We need to cut down on the insignificant categories (Best ongoing series is a complete joke and is essentially meaningless - what if these series have bad endings, what then???). If we give a shining star to everything, then nothing really stands out as special anymore.
There is nothing meaningless about Best Ongoing Series.

If it has a bad ending or goes downhill then it will presumably not win next year.

But by winning the award this year it is saying hey this series is really good why not check it out now.
Old 2013-02-15, 11:41   Link #79
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

^

I have never seen a professional award ceremony (grammies, oscars, etc.) that ever awarded anything to an incomplete work.

What is the point of giving exposure to something that we don't know will be good in the end? What if we mislead people into a series that ends out turning bad and no one likes anymore (Think Another for example)? The award holds no weight. I thought people wanted to give exposure to multi cour series like Hunter x Hunter or Space Brothers, not 2 cour Fall shows like SSY and Psycho Pass. It didn't even serve the purpose people wanted it to.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 11:45   Link #80
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
^

I have never seen a professional award ceremony (grammies, oscars, etc.) that ever awarded anything to an incomplete work.
I have. The Emmys, for example.

Tags
choice awards