Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-14, 20:15   Link #2821
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
Thanks! Though on Razor's supposedly conjured devils, manipulating them shouldn't be much of a problem since Manipulation is right next to Emission, but shouldn't the quality of the manifested devils be cut down to 40%? Wasn't using a category that's too far from your innate one something a Nen user should avoid?
Yes, if his devils are conjured, their quality isn't that high. Using a category far from a user's innate should be avoided alright, but that doesn't mean it's forbidden. Aside from a quality drop, learning far-from-innate categories are taxing on the body and forcing it won't be good.

But some practitioners still do that anyway, just for additional ability (because of the limitations), not their main ones.

Razor's devils only serve as additional manpowers, and I believe their ability is limited only to play dodgeball, hence it's not a problem despite the devils' (probably) are conjured. Still... conjuring 14 devils with that great playing ability is fearsome indeed.
Old 2013-05-18, 21:30   Link #2822
Excorsism

Only the dead can know peace from the evil that is episode 80. ;_;
Old 2013-05-18, 23:06   Link #2823
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Yeah, I meant to eat lunch while watching ep. 80... but that was a terrible, terrible idea. Wow. I don't even know what to say about it.

I did think the animators did a fantastic job of making the violence horrifying and very obvious while still keeping the most gruesome parts off-screen. Even if it was done because that level of on-screen gore just wouldn't be acceptable for a TV series in Hunter's time slot, to me it functioned in the same way as an off-screen / not-yet-identified menace in a horror movie. What you can't see (i.e. what you're forced to imagine) is in many ways more powerful than a straight-up graphic depiction. I truly didn't expect Hunter to be giving Titan a run for its money in this department....
Old 2013-05-18, 23:12   Link #2824
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Just saw 80. Chimera Ants are terrifying indeed. That backstory on Gyro was pretty tragic as well.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 23:15   Link #2825
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Yeah, I have to admit, my stomach was churning all the way through after the Gyro backstory X0[. This was far more gruesome than anything in the York Shin arc...well, that's been apparent, but I did not expect the carnage to fall onto characters like Poko and Botan =0(.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 23:53   Link #2826
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I kind of felt like the Gyro backstory just flung into the start of this episode was odd. I felt for the guy, but was also thinking "ok, back to the present please" for most of it. The guy is dead anyways so do we really need to know how he came to this point? Certainly a messed up childhood though. No wonder he had the motives he did in making the NGL.

My condolences to Pokkle and Ponzu. I mean we knew they were dead on arrival in the NGL, but it still sucks to see what happened. Ponzu might have gotten the kinder fate shot dead and then eaten. I'd assume Pokkle is temporarily still alive...well until he ends up eaten by the Queen. The worst case is that they are handing over a human with nen abilities to get eaten. If the drug manufacturers were a bad group to hand over this is even worse. The Chimera Ants are bad enough as it is. Though may not matter much if the other Hunters in the NGL are already down and have been handed over to the Queen.

A terrible situation for them. You know it's a bad situation, but can't actually get out of it. They just couldn't escape. Pokkle in the end couldn't handle anything above grunt levels. Did alright against that idiot spider, but was caught offguard.

What a disaster. Now Gon and Killua are going to be leaping into the worse of this.
Old 2013-05-18, 23:59   Link #2827
Funkatron
Highly irregular

So wait, do the Chimera Ants learn by eating their prey? Not sure if I missed that point from a previous episode, but it seemed to me the centaur was reliving the history of the NGL leader
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:07   Link #2828
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
A terrible situation for them. You know it's a bad situation, but can't actually get out of it. They just couldn't escape. Pokkle in the end couldn't handle anything above grunt levels. Did alright against that idiot spider, but was caught offguard.

What a disaster. Now Gon and Killua are going to be leaping into the worse of this.
Poko's nen had the firepower of a firecracker =02. I'd expect Killua and Gon to do FAR better against even the squadron leaders with their current abilities. And I'd imagine Kite to be pretty up there in terms of strength, being Ging's disciple and all.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:08   Link #2829
Salce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
So wait, do the Chimera Ants learn by eating their prey? Not sure if I missed that point from a previous episode, but it seemed to me the centaur was reliving the history of the NGL leader
No, Yunju doesn't know Gyro's backstory. Probably he just felt "this guy is different".

Quote:
I kind of felt like the Gyro backstory just flung into the start of this episode was odd. I felt for the guy, but was also thinking "ok, back to the present please" for most of it. The guy is dead anyways so do we really need to know how he came to this point? Certainly a messed up childhood though. No wonder he had the motives he did in making the NGL.
I think he isn't dead yet, Yunju said he gave it to Colt to feed the queen.

Also, if you have been paying attention to Colt, it's pretty obvious that somehow the chimera ants have not only the genes but also some memories of the people that got eaten by the queen. So, an ant with Gyro's memories could be born if the queen eats him.
Salce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:24   Link #2830
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Poko's nen had the firepower of a firecracker =02. I'd expect Killua and Gon to do FAR better against even the squadron leaders with their current abilities. And I'd imagine Kite to be pretty up there in terms of strength, being Ging's disciple and all.
It was a nice firecracker at any rate though .

That trio should be more effective, but I do wonder how far they can go without too much trouble. Pokkle admittedly isn't much of a measuring stick, struggled against the level between pure grunts and the squad leaders. Next episode at least should make clear where Gon and Killua stand in this situation. At least Kite should be a huge help here. Though I can't help feeling like he'll be the main dish leading to the 'King' of the Chimera Ants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salce View Post
No, Yunju doesn't know Gyro's backstory. Probably he just felt "this guy is different".

I think he isn't dead yet, Yunju said he gave it to Colt to feed the queen.

Also, if you have been paying attention to Colt, it's pretty obvious that somehow the chimera ants have not only the genes but also some memories of the people that got eaten by the queen. So, an ant with Gyro's memories could be born if the queen eats him.
Sorry for not being specific, but if he's lunch next episode does it really matter if I don't call him "about to be dead?" And yeah I did manage to catch the incredibly obvious memory recall from Colt. I still don't see the need for such a long flashback just so Gyro's Chimera Ant will have some context to him. Could have been shorter.
Old 2013-05-19, 00:34   Link #2831
ChainLegacy
廉頗

A good, gruesome episode. I suspect Gyro's memories will go into the as-yet unborn Chimera Ant king, seeing as how they were fleshed out like that. We can expect Pokkle's nen will also be contributing to the king. He really didn't put up much of a fight considering his opponents didn't have knowledge of nen. I guess that's what happens when you become a pro hunter on a technicality, ...

While I've been enjoying the latest episodes, I will say that the preview showing Gon and Killua in action is a breath of fresh air... I've been missing our two favorite prodigies. They really make this show for me (though of course, I also thoroughly enjoyed Kurapica's solo arc as well, but nothing can quite match the two boys in this show).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:41   Link #2832
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
If Kurt/Colt's storyline doesn't confirm the importance of Gyro's past, Kaito's last monologue certainly should. I suspect it's highly, highly relevant. Don't forget the Chimera Ant King hasn't been born yet.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:42   Link #2833
leokiko

Quote:
It is a set-up chapter for later. And they left out a crucial part of it(some last bit of info from the narrator) which would have made much more sense of that, but it would have been sorta of a spoiler(since this flashback only appears later in the story).

Just relax, this is from the manga, it's definitely not filler.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:54   Link #2834
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
A good, gruesome episode. I suspect Gyro's memories will go into the as-yet unborn Chimera Ant king, seeing as how they were fleshed out like that. We can expect Pokkle's nen will also be contributing to the king. He really didn't put up much of a fight considering his opponents didn't have knowledge of nen. I guess that's what happens when you become a pro hunter on a technicality, ...

While I've been enjoying the latest episodes, I will say that the preview showing Gon and Killua in action is a breath of fresh air... I've been missing our two favorite prodigies. They really make this show for me (though of course, I also thoroughly enjoyed Kurapica's solo arc as well, but nothing can quite match the two boys in this show).
Pokkle definitely picked the wrong place to try and make his mark. Unfortunately just didn't have enough skill to survive. I'd like to blame him for being overly reckless, but just hearing that there are giant bugs doesn't immediately mean it was going to be the disaster he walked into. Just unfortunate that Ponzu and those other guys got in way over their heads.

Will be good to have Gon and Killua back in the spotlight. Finally some characters we can watch and not assume they are going to become lunch .

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
It is a set-up chapter for later. And they left out a crucial part of it(some last bit of info from the narrator) which would have made much more sense of that, but it would have been sorta of a spoiler(since this flashback only appears later in the story).

Just relax, this is from the manga, it's definitely not filler.
No worries I'm incredibly relaxed . I sure hope it does pay off though. Seemed like a lot of backstory to give out if it wasn't going to be important later.
Old 2013-05-19, 02:11   Link #2835
Hamster

Oh my god...Ponzu...
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 03:15   Link #2836
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Oh my god...Ponzu...
Who would've thought our cute little green haired bee controlling girl introduced at the beginning of the series would be food for a gun-crazed grunt Chimera ant? God damn it Togashi!
Old 2013-05-19, 03:21   Link #2837
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That episode was brutal. Well, it was never gonna be sunshine and rainbows, but shit man. We arrived at these crossroads.

Nuff said. :S

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 03:41   Link #2838
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Oh my god...Ponzu...
your avatar speaks for itself... can't wait for the battle, i wonder will the existing chimera ants particularly the king's guard and squad leaders learn the nen after this? they were born without that attribute like soldier ants without human intelligence.
Old 2013-05-19, 04:05   Link #2839
Clarste
Human

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that nen is something you're born with or that the queen would need to eat nen users to give birth to nen users. While obviously some people like Gon and Killua are more talented than others, it seems obvious to me that every human can learn nen and likewise any ant with human DNA can learn nen. They just need someone to teach them, or to figure it out on their own. Since apparently the higher level ones can see it without training, they're already pretty close to figuring it out on their own.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 05:12   Link #2840
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^Except it normally takes years for someone to naturally learn how to use Nen.

That is, unless they get a baptism. But since knowledge and ability is also passed to the ants along with the DNA, it is an easy shortcut.

Anyway, RIP Ponzu, and RIP Pokkle (soon anyways, there's no way anyone can save him in time). I really wished to see more of both of you. I liked you a lot during the Hunter Exam arc. Also RIP those two guys nobody cares about.

Anyway, I do not believe it is anybody's fault that things ended up like that. There is no way any of them could have known what they were up against.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen