AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-04-17, 01:44   Link #101
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Depending on which version of Superman, Clark often need very little if any sustenance to survive. In many settings he doesn't need food at all, he just enjoys eating.

This means Superman doesn't NEED a secret identity. He doesn't need a day job to pay the bills like the likes of Peter Parker. So it seems Clark ended up like a wondering nobody, much like the old The Hulk TV series. Maybe he got a job at an oil rig?
Yeah, but my point was, the usual Superman fare has Clark Kent's life and career mattering to him, for all that it's technically superfluous. (I mean, he could make a living out of crushing coal into diamond, or launching satellites into orbit or something, if he wanted money.)

Quote:
But "Clark Kent" is not a fake name. It is the name given to him by his Earth parents. And as the new trailer showed, his human family matters, which means his Earth name matters.
Depends on how much he wants to erase his tracks.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 01:49   Link #102
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My impression is that, in this movie, Clark's powers (and him saving people with them) has a real downside to it (rather than being the unblemished positive it often gets portrayed as). Think of Clark getting the treatment of a Marvel Comics mutant. People fear him for his powers in spite of how he uses them for good.
Worse than that. At least Mutants had human parents. Clark is a genuine, full blood alien creature. We often forget about that because outside the 4th wall, Superman is an all-American creation. But Clark Kent as a character is foreign.

It wouldn't be so bad if DC Earth already had established contacts with galactic civilizations. Clark's problem is that revealing his origins would cause issues.

This would be moot by the end of the film though. As it seems an alien invasion is the finale of the film. Once everyone got used to having Space Aliens in the universe, Superman would be better accepted.
Old 2013-04-17, 02:13   Link #103
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, but my point was, the usual Superman fare has Clark Kent's life and career mattering to him, for all that it's technically superfluous. (I mean, he could make a living out of crushing coal into diamond, or launching satellites into orbit or something, if he wanted money.)
Most versions of Superman (and older versions of Superboy) involve a costumed hero with a "S" shield just showing up one day, doing heroic deeds, and getting quickly embraced for it. People basically just roll with this mysterious superhero doing good for them, focusing on what he does more than on the hero himself.

In such a narrative, it makes sense for Clark Kent to want to make a life for himself outside of just superhero-ing (Superman himself has admitted that he couldn't handle being Superman 24/7 - He's not as OCD as Batman is ). That's what "Clark Kent" is for. In a world where Clark Kent is presumed to just be a normal human, he simply grows up and goes to Metropolis, and takes on a news reporter profession. And that makes sense, as his news reporter profession feeds nicely into him being Superman - Being a news reporter means it's his job to get scoops on political corruption, crime, etc... which then informs "Superman" to go combat it!

But in this movie, Clark Kent (not wearing a costume) is doing super-deeds (saving that bus-full of kids). This raises suspicions. Clark isn't necessarily casually presumed to be a normal human now. So perhaps to escape possible persecution, he high-tails it. Judging by some of the scenes in previous trailers, my best guess is that he high-tails it to Canada (as an Atlantic Canadian myself, these scenes are eerily familiar).

Eventually, he probably comes to the conclusion that this is a horrible waste of his powers (which, frankly, it is), and so he becomes Superman.

Quote:
Worse than that. At least Mutants had human parents. Clark is a genuine, full blood alien creature. We often forget about that because outside the 4th wall, Superman is an all-American creation. But Clark Kent as a character is foreign.
Good point. Clark has the "Area 51" concern to think about too, yes. I'm not sure how I feel here. An alien that's fluent in English, and that looks exactly like a human, would probably be someone we'd have a hard time treating like an alien. But the US Government may well feel differently for national security reasons, of course.
Old 2013-04-17, 02:36   Link #104
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Eventually, he probably comes to the conclusion that this is a horrible waste of his powers (which, frankly, it is), and so he becomes Superman.
It likely also involved Clark embracing his Kryptonian heritage. In this film the final form of Clark as Superman is someone who acknowledges the culture of his blood parents, even though he never grew up in it.

The trailer suggests that Clark was perhaps rejecting his origins, because he loves his human parents too much. That he feared his family wouldn't BE his family if he accepts his heritage. Clark needed to realise he can do both. That he can be Super, AND a Man, at the same time.
Old 2013-04-17, 02:40   Link #105
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
It likely also involved Clark embracing his Kryptonian heritage. In this film the final form of Clark as Superman is someone who acknowledges the culture of his blood parents, even though he never grew up in it.

The trailer suggests that Clark was perhaps rejecting his origins, because he loves his human parents too much. That he feared his family wouldn't BE his family if he accepts his heritage. Clark needed to realise he can do both. That he can be Super, AND a Man, at the same time.
Good points.

Presuming we're right, I like this new take on Superman. It's a bit more realistic, I think.
Old 2013-04-17, 03:08   Link #106
Sumeragi
Banned

I get the feeling that this universe's Kent were not as "supportive" of Clark when compared to the other versions. It's not as if they weren't supportive of Clark himself, but they weren't able to quite help Clark accept his origins. Basically, it's similar to the mental blocks Clark had in Smallville which prevented him from flying, since deep down he still thinks of himself as human and thus it wasn't until he embraced his Kryptonian destiny that he was able to truly fly. However, instead of a denial of his power, it's probably closer to a denial of his identity as a superpowered alien and embracing a wish for a "normal" life, closer to the DCAU's version of Superman.

Either way, this will be interesting to see.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 04:56   Link #107
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Either way, this will be interesting to see.
Can't wait to see no-pan Superman I see.
Old 2013-04-17, 05:21   Link #108
HasuMasu
*Artist

That's probably the best part of this.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 06:32   Link #109
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Does anyone else notice the red, white, and blue "LEXCORP" lettering on top of a building on the left of the screen during the wideshot of the missiles/debris striking the skyscrapers? It’s around 2.18 of the trailer if I’m not mistaken.
Old 2013-04-17, 07:45   Link #110
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The S symbol being a symbol of hope on Krypton. Interesting idea. I kind of like it.
Not a new concept. It's been in the comics since 2004.

Quote:
And that likely even his costume is an altered version of Kryptonian fashion.
I believe the comics made it so his cape, at least, was originally the blanket he was wrapped in while inside the rocket.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 11:17   Link #111
Xagzan

I'm not even a great Superman fan, all superheroes considered, and that trailer made me excited for this.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 16:40   Link #112
Sumeragi
Banned

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:35   Link #113
HasuMasu
*Artist

I was avoiding trailers online but since I went to movie yesterday ended up seeing trailer for this.

Now I'm super-hype.
Old 2013-05-17, 16:16   Link #114
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I just wonder from the trailers if they are even going to dodge actually calling him Superman. Kind of like how Nolan dodged calling Selena Kyle Catwoman.

At the very least looks like it should be pretty fun to watch.
Old 2013-05-17, 22:14   Link #115
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I just wonder from the trailers if they are even going to dodge actually calling him Superman. Kind of like how Nolan dodged calling Selena Kyle Catwoman.

At the very least looks like it should be pretty fun to watch.
Well, it's a safe bet from the third full-length trailer that by the time a fully-costumed Superman is being held as a prisoner of the US Military he's still not known as "Superman" (hence, Lois Lane about to make that name suggestion).

My suspicion is that, yes, he may very well go most/all of the movie without being addressed as Superman. But I do think that Lois Lane will successfully refer to him as that at least once in the entire movie. In fact, her calling him that while he flies off into the sunset, might be a fitting way to end the movie.
Old 2013-05-17, 22:18   Link #116
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It was her headline in the previous film series that gave him that name anyway.
Old 2013-05-17, 22:23   Link #117
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It was her headline in the previous film series that gave him that name anyway.
I think it was also Lois who first coined the name "Superman" in the Timmverse cartoons.

It's probably better this way. A guy who takes the name "Superman" for himself, if the name is not already taken... that can certainly come off as a bit egotistical and/or kiddish.

But if that's a name the media gives him (especially part of the media that has a crush on him ), and he just rolls with it, I think that probably comes off better to modern audiences.
Old 2013-05-18, 13:40   Link #118
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Hopefully they're saving Darkseid as a villain for a sequel. So much could be done with him and Apokolips.
Old 2013-05-22, 05:57   Link #119
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

New trailer out, with ominous warning from General Zod.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

0:49 Is that one of the Reapers I remember from Mass Effect?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 07:16   Link #120
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Another thing about the Classic Super Hero movies. You can't have some super known actor play them. If they made brad pit dye his hair black and played Clark, no one would see this movie.