Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2007-03-20, 03:10   Link #1
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
Doujin: Japan and Beyond.

I hope this is the right place to post this, but lately I've been learning more and more about the aspect of Japanese otaku that is doujin. It seems quite different from fan fiction, fan art, and amateur games outside Japan and since a lot of people here at Anime Suki seem really intune with the Japanese otaku scene, I wanted to open a discussion and also ask some questions.

I don't wanna say the Japanese doujin are better than their western counterparts, but I'm constantly amazed at things like the fact that CLAMP went from a doujin circle to a world famous pro manga group, that amateur games like Higurashi and Tsukihime have gained such a following. And it seems like there are actual stores in Akihabara that sell doujin works. So is there really a big difference between the amateur/doujin scene in Japan and in the West? If so, why? Are laws looser there or is the community just more supportive? Do you think there's a chance for doujin groups to grow outside of Japan? I can think of indie film studios, but that's about it.

Again, I'm new to this whole concept and maybe making it bigger than it is, I'm just wondering about the success of these independent or amateur groups in the manga/gaming world.
harukamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 03:55   Link #2
cyth
Banned

The main difference between the japanese and the american otaku scene is that fans in America usually get acquainted with manga and anime in their early teens the earliest, where most people start taking the hobby a bit more seriously in college. Japanese kids are exposed to manga since their birth, and this is how tradition continues. Some mangaka start out their profession at ages 14-18. The rule of thumb is that on every 100 artists, there's going to be at least one of exceptional skill. The main difference between Japan and America is that there are more serious fans who don't end their journey after they get bored with what's available on Cartoon Network.
As far as doujin circles are concerned, most of the time they're mature fans, usually older, made from anime/manga/game clubs. What's interesting, IMO, is that these circles don't just draw manga and pretty art, they also make games, music, figurines, and other merchandise, be them publication-based, parodies, or original works. I have to admit, I'm quite impressed by the ammount of pure skill and hard work that's put into making doujinshi game publications. Script writing, art works, sound engineering and theme production, programming, design... Sometimes one has to wonder how experts of each of these fields find themselves and common language for making such a product. But after taking a wide look over the very small and rapidly declining fan community in my country, I quickly discovered I could find people to fill in most of these positions.
What I think America lacks is less individuality and more collaboration in this field. Sure, drawing and selling scans of your art is all fine and swell, but just think how cool it would be to release a publication of joint art pieces or, god forbid, an actual manga collaboration or something. Then there's the question about staying faithful to the japanese art style or making something original...
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote