Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-30, 04:51   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 509 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-07-30, 05:10   Link #2
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Hopefully we get to seem some Luffy action and Kidd/Law action.
Old 2008-07-30, 08:29   Link #3
marvelB

Summary:

-Luffy, Zoro and Sanji fight the Kuma Clone. They take him down with the combo attack of "Mouton Jet 600 Pound Cannon". Zoro comments on their opponent not being the real Kuma. However, the Pacifista recovers, and his insides are shown...

-Meanwhile, Urouge is fighting Kuma C. He gets badly damaged, but Drake steps in (it also turns out he knows about the Pacifista). He grows to a huge size and bites the clone's head. It turns out that Drake is a DINOSAUR ZOAN. However, his attack still wasn't enough to take down the Pacifista. Kizaru attacks Urouge, but Hawkins ALSO grows big and attacks Kizaru. The Admiral creates a bright flash of light, blinding Hawkins, and is ready to finish him off. But then Apoo does an attack where he starts dancing and.... Kizaru explodes.

WOW, what a crazy chapter! I really wasn't expecting Drake to be a DF user, but him turning out to be a DINO ZOAN is just plain badass. Heh, I also expected for Kuma B to be taken out pretty quickly (pretty awesome to see the monster trio do a team attack). Man, I can't wait to see more Apoo action.... his powers seem to be pretty wild, too. SUPERNOVAS FTW!

Edit: Hmmm... from the spoiler pics, Hawkins looked like a scarecrow when he attacked Kizaru. Maybe he has the powers of the kakashi-kakashi (scarecrow) fruit?

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-07-30 at 08:44.
Old 2008-07-30, 08:57   Link #4
patnam

i hope there will be Seven Seas VS Supernovas!!!
Old 2008-07-30, 09:15   Link #5
Master Mold
Banned

What makes you say that? the only thing that comes close to one of the Seven Armed Seas is the weaker versions Kuma, that are doing very well against the Supernovas, if the Seven armed seas was there, we can rap this story up. I really do hope that Yellow Monkey is not a Logia, I would prefer him to be a Paramecia IMO they are more fun, and a DINOSAUR ZOAN! is win, I always knew one of those would pop up soon but not this soon. I'm loving this Arc it just surpassed a few of my favorites. No sign of Law and Kid yet they must have butt raped there Kuma Pacifista and moved on.

Edit:It seems to look like someone has manage to land a big hit on Yellow, he blow up, I wonder now will we get to see a personality change from being cool and claim to just want to blow **** up.
Old 2008-07-30, 09:28   Link #6
marvelB

Actually this talk about Shichibukai and Supernovas reminds me of how some people a while back had the idea of some of the Supernovas possibly becoming Shichibukai, depending on the results of the Whitebeard battle. I admit that I think it's a pretty interesting idea, since it would give us a better idea of which Supernovas will actually become enemies of Luffy and co. in the future....

So anyway.... DINOSAUR FRUIT. According to Apoo, it's an "ancient" Zoan fruit, so maybe this will pave the way for more prehistoric Zoans in the future like sabertooth, pterodactyl, and maybe even trilobite Zoans....
Old 2008-07-30, 09:38   Link #7
Master Mold
Banned

I think anyone who is after One Piece is going to be Luffy's enemies/competition.

I wonder what Drake knows about the Pacifista, and his Zoan form looks like Reptar.
Old 2008-07-30, 09:54   Link #8
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
I wonder what Drake knows about the Pacifista, and his Zoan form looks like Reptar.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Godzilla" myself.

But I don't find it surprising that Drake actually knows about the Pacifistas, especially since he was a former highly-ranked marine. Vegapunk was supposed to be a "marine" scientist anyway, not a "government" scientist. Maybe Drake will be the one to reveal what metal is used as the Pacifista's alloy....
Old 2008-07-30, 11:02   Link #9
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of "Godzilla" myself.
I think you mean "Gojira", but, then again, romanization is not my field.
Quote:
But I don't find it surprising that Drake actually knows about the Pacifistas, especially since he was a former highly-ranked marine. Vegapunk was supposed to be a "marine" scientist anyway, not a "government" scientist. Maybe Drake will be the one to reveal what metal is used as the Pacifista's alloy....
My money's on either seastone or a diamond derivative as the main ingredient.
Old 2008-07-30, 11:53   Link #10
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

I wanted to believe that it was a drake..but after seeing pictures Drake's df is more like a t-rex...and whatever is happening to hawkins, he looks damn dangerous and scary with needle claws and growing size.Next chapter will probly introduce Apoo and his powers.Im counting on him for being something great since he picked a fight with strongest nova as soon as he appeared.Hope it will be some complicated defil fruit rather than just some simple shockwaves.I love how Oda creates weird complex df designs every week! like that room or scarecrow

And Urouge is getting pwned as ever...Still at this rate..and with Oda's plot twisting powers, Urouge can instantly become the strongest supernova with some weird power up in the end.He'a still smiling even while getting beaten up by that pacifista.I cant find any other meaning for letting him showing his powers and getting owned again in other chapter..Maybe he will go stronger everytime he goes wounded / enraged (typical hulk theory..but sounds nice lol)
Old 2008-07-30, 12:27   Link #11
marvelB

The more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of Hawkins having a "scarecrow" ability... it's certainly unique (though not as awesome as DINO FRUIT). Heck, ALL of the Supernovas have some pretty darn unique powers. Heh, it looks like the only ones who don't have DF abilities are Urouge and Killer (I don't think I need to mention Zoro at this point, do I?), but that could easily change....

So yeah, it's more obvious than ever now that Kizaru has a light ability, but I still believe that he isn't a Logia. The fact that he can get hit by gunshots and explosions are proof of this, but they don't seem to hurt him, anyway... maybe Borsalino is a Rokushiki master? Tekkai would certainly be a good defense against those kinds of attacks....

And I can't wait to see Drake in his beastman form. A T-Rex man that's also a swordsman is just plain CRAZY.
Old 2008-07-30, 14:29   Link #12
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of Hawkins having a "scarecrow" ability... it's certainly unique (though not as awesome as DINO FRUIT). Heck, ALL of the Supernovas have some pretty darn unique powers. Heh, it looks like the only ones who don't have DF abilities are Urouge and Killer (I don't think I need to mention Zoro at this point, do I?), but that could easily change....
Although it's similar to scarecrows, it's a "strawman" ability.
People outside of Japan and Thailand (where it originated) might not be too familiar with it, but a small man-figure made of straws is used for curses. You can direct pain and suffering to another man using a strawman assigned to that person, and you damage it by slamming a thick nail into it. Just like the ones Hawkins is holding between his fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I think you mean "Gojira", but, then again, romanization is not my field.
"Gojira" is the correct pronounciation. However, "Godzilla" is the official English franchise name. So he is correct.
Old 2008-07-30, 14:38   Link #13
Monkey D. Luffy

With all these new Devil Fruits being shown, it was nice to finally see a new Zoan type since they seemed to be lacking with in the Supernova and Drake being a Dinosaur made it even better. Hawkin's power also look very unique looks like it's a Straw Man which is a bit different from a Scarecrow but really it seems that no match for Kizaru.

So far we have seen three of the Supernova be introduced with powers that increase their size but only Urouge doesn't appear to have a Devil Fruit, atleast as of right now. Also Capone and Bonney seem to have powers that deal with size, Bonney simply by increasing or decreasing age. I wonder if it was done on purpose or just Oda decided to give emphasize to size with these powers, it's just something I noticed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Killer and Urouge end up having Devil Fruits since that woud just end up making Zoro even more of a beast than he already is, but at the same time it would make it more diverse and interesting if either Urouge or Killer or maybe both don't have Devil Fruits. It looks like Urouge is playing Possum so far, and even better Apoo used his ability which is obviously musical and it looked like he was using his mouth that has those unique teeth to make all sorts of notes XD.
Old 2008-07-30, 15:23   Link #14
james0246

Quote:
Edit: Hmmm... from the spoiler pics, Hawkins looked like a scarecrow when he attacked Kizaru. Maybe he has the powers of the kakashi-kakashi (scarecrow) fruit?
It would be fun if this was the name Oda choose, if for no other reason than the fact that it would be yet another slight joke at the expense of Kishimoto's Naruto.

Quote:
And I can't wait to see Drake in his beastman form. A T-Rex man that's also a swordsman is just plain CRAZY.
How does a T-Rex use a sword? They are known for their large legs/mouths and small arms. Maybe he sues his swork/pike thingy with his tail .
Old 2008-07-30, 15:52   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Although it's similar to scarecrows, it's a "strawman" ability.
People outside of Japan and Thailand (where it originated) might not be too familiar with it, but a small man-figure made of straws is used for curses. You can direct pain and suffering to another man using a strawman assigned to that person, and you damage it by slamming a thick nail into it. Just like the ones Hawkins is holding between his fingers.

Ah, I see. Thanks for this most interesting trivia! This instantly explains Hawkin's voodoo powers from last chapter, as well.

...Still, I'm kinda hoping that his power will be referred to as "scarecrow" anyway, just for the heck of it.

And I'm aware of the Gojira/Godzilla spellings... but I guess I'm just more used to the latter romanization. Y'know, I actually think it would be pretty awesome if ALL the Ancient Zoans had a kind of "Kaiju" theme. For instance, there could be a pterodactyl Zoan looks like Rodan/Radan, or a turtle Zoan that looks like Gamera (turtles have long lifespans, so they could count as being "ancient", right? ).
Old 2008-07-30, 17:04   Link #16
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I guess the fight will not exactly go how Kizaru planned. Though, I don't think, as a logia, he will suffer any significant damage (after the chapter ending attack), but, as the fight goes on, the damage might accumulate and reach a level to stall him for some time. This delay might be sufficient to let the pirates escape. It won't be the first time an Admiral letting go of a strong pirate (Aokiji has done this a few times already). Also, I don't think Oda, after introducing these strong pirates with strange looking but cool abilities, will let them disappear within a small arc.

The interesting part of this chapter is that Apoo couldn't stand watching his potential enemies getting closer to the point of capture/death. He seem to show a musical ability, was expecting something like that, glad to see it happening in this arc. And, Drake should switch to the full dino mode (I am not sure from the images but what we have in this chapter may not be his full transformation). Anyways, the way Kizaru is portrayed, it feels there is huge gap between him and the others. But, against that many strong opponents, I would have preferred him to show a bit more, other than shooting not-anymore-cool beams.
Old 2008-07-30, 17:10   Link #17
The Imadori
Master of the sonic roll

Apoos move is SO cool. He is as funky as I hoped.

But why the hell do all teh supernovas have the ability to grow bigger ^^
I realy hope the 4 captains will manage to get Kizaru to reatreat from this battle (although I don't see taht happening). I also hope at least SOME supernovas will be something like permanent rivals to the strawhats. Well Kidd and LAw still got the best chances for that with a completly developed crew and most character up until now.
Old 2008-07-30, 17:21   Link #18
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

Wowowowow this sounds like its going to be another awsome chapter.

Por que-how come all of the supernovascan grow, like, they don't have the same abilities do they? (impossible) I guess my question is, what are their different abilities?
Old 2008-07-30, 17:36   Link #19
The Imadori
Master of the sonic roll

The Supernovas Abilitys so far predicatble are:

Luffy = Gum-gum Fruit (I think we all know that )
Zorro = Non (genious Swordfighter)
Kidd = Magnetic Fruit (Is able to create Magnetic fields and draw or push away metal)
Killer = presumambly non (He seems to have an acrobativ fighting style with his arm blades)
Law = Room Fruit ( He can create a room of about 10x10 m around him. Inside this room he seems to be able to switch objects at will. The limitations of this Power are not realy known. A mist6erious abilty)
Drake = T-Rex Fruit ( like rob lucy ate the Leopard Fruit he ate the T-Rex fruit AWSOME )
Urough = (can turn himself into a giant with enourmous attack power and defense. More isn't known so far)
Hawkins = Vodoo Fruit (or maybe just a magic ability of his, he can transfer a certain ammount of damage to people he is "connected" to. Only if the damage exeeds a certain ammount Hawkins himself gets damage. He also seems to be able to turn into a giant Vodoo doll and claims to be able to see the "shadow of death" )
Capone = Storage Fruit(??)( he seems to be able to shrink his crew and all weapons to a minimal size and they can use his body as a fortres. As soon as a shrinked object leaves Capones surounding it resizes to normal size)
Bonner = Age Fruit ( can manipulate her own age and the age of others)
Apoo = Can use his Music-moves to attack via Sound. Not much is known about that exept it can be targeted and doesn't efect everybody who hears it (like Shojos move)
Old 2008-07-30, 17:43   Link #20
marvelB

Heh... it IS kinda funny that we have 6 Supernovas that have some size/growth-related ability (Luffy with Gear 3, Urouge's Hulk mode, Hawkin's scarecrow-man form, Drake's DINOMIGHTY powers, Bonney's aging abiity, and Capone's human fortress, which shrinks his crewmen). But I don't mind that at all, since they all have such unique abilities, anyway. Man, it's really hard to imagine that some of these guys won't make it to the New World....

And goddamn, I'm itching to see some more Kidd and Law right now. I really want to see their crews in action against Kuma A (particularly Bepo). Hopefully we'll see them again next chapter (and hopefully, Sentoumaru will join in on the fun by then, too ).
Closed Thread