AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-18, 17:00   Link #181
Byakou

OK, 3 eps of flashback, you guys are best buds and you play karuta, we get it. Back to present now please >.>
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 19:03   Link #182
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
EDIT: Not a "tearjerker," really. I'm just easily moved, lol.
Ha Ha no it definitely got me too, I was crying by the end.

I can't even begin to explain how much I loved the first 3 episodes of this show. I don't know why people are complaining about the flashback when it was so brilliant. I just pray the flash forward will be this good.

I guess my only complaint is I would have liked a bit more of a transition from the end of the last episode to the beginning of this one but overall this episode was perfect.

I just love the friendship that developed between Taichi/Chihaya/Arata. I don't know part of me hopes it doesn't turn into a romance because I love them as a trio. Even though as a High School Josei I am sure romance is inevitable.

And actually surprisingly 2 of the sweetest moments were between Taichi & Arata: When Taichi blushed after Arata praised him & when Taichi gave Arata his hat; I dawwed both times.
Old 2011-10-18, 20:20   Link #183
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I've enjoyed the flashback too. Honestly, I'm more afraid that the rest of the show may not live up to what the flashback sets up. I've been in no hurry for it to end. Though I admit, it's a little odd that they began the series in the "present" (presumably) but the flashback wasn't broken up at all by progress in the high school story. Maybe they really wanted to get the back story out there right away, but they didn't want viewers to think that the entire story was about sixth graders.

And after three episodes, I can safely say that this is my sleeper pick-up of the season.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 20:38   Link #184
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Just watched episode 3, it wasn't a tear-jerking episode, but it was very moving~ So far I liked episode 2 out of the 3.

I hope the rest of the series would focus on romance as well, as the game.
Old 2011-10-18, 21:38   Link #185
Kirarakim

Okay I just browsed through the manga and I am a little disappointed that they skipped some stuff (obviously to get to the present storyline faster).

I mean I still think the episode itself was excellent in the character & story department but I don't think they needed to rush through the childhood arc like that if it meant skipping stuff, really one more episode was all they would have needed I think.

Now I don't think anything major was skipped but I still would have liked to see everything animated. Oh well!
Old 2011-10-18, 21:48   Link #186
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Okay I just browsed through the manga and I am a little disappointed that they skipped some stuff (obviously to get to the present storyline faster).

I mean I still think the episode itself was excellent in the character & story department but I don't think they needed to rush through the childhood arc like that if it meant skipping stuff, really one more episode was all they would have needed I think.

Now I don't think anything major was skipped but I still would have liked to see everything animated. Oh well!
Can you spoil me on what happen in that missing chapter?
Old 2011-10-18, 22:14   Link #187
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Arata's accent starting to annoy me >_>

I wonder if young's men Arata will sounds more ridiculous
Old 2011-10-18, 22:21   Link #188
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol at the Doctor being so happy to have 3 new recruits. So that's how they went separate ways. Chihaya's sister is kind of annoying wanting her sister to only adore her and do nothing else. Too bad they didn't win the tournament. Her conviction of them meeting again sometime was great.
Old 2011-10-18, 22:23   Link #189
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Arata's accent starting to annoy me >_>

I wonder if young's men Arata will sounds more ridiculous
I actually find it quite cute, to bad he was a girl, it would sound absolutely smoothing xD

On top of my head, is the accent similar to Chie from Persona4? Anyone?
Old 2011-10-18, 22:52   Link #190
Sol Falling

Taichi is complicated. Arata's relationship with his father (and how that plays into his father's relationship with his grandfather) also seems to be something to look out for. A good episode overall. It's all still clearly just setup for the real story set when they are teenagers, though, so I maintain that that is what I'm looking forward to.

With regards to Chihaya's sister, she actually recaptured my interest a bit after disappointing me last episode. I like that she values the admiration of her little sister--that's cute. It also gives me hope that their relationship will play an interesting part in the future story (it helps that both Chihaya and her sis are/should be quite gorgeous, . Gotta make use of that animation and artstyle.).

On the karuta, I quite liked what they showcased of the team play, that was interesting. In the future, Chihaya should also (I am sure) be better with memorizing the poems on an individual level, so I'm sure we will see more depth there as well. That's what I'm most looking forward to for now. Arata's overwhelming skill and now pedigree have honestly played out more like plot elements than actual points of accessibility or interest into the game for me thus far.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 23:47   Link #191
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Definitely moving without needing to resort to being a tear-jerker. For me this is the best show of the season so far, and I've really enjoyed these sixth-grade chapters (calling them flashbacks doesn't do them justice). I haven't seen interplay between kids this age done as well in years, probably since Dennou Coil.

I wouldn't want to change anything about that episode. I thought the animation was again stellar, especially in the snow scene. I thought the goodbye scene was powerfully effective. And I really enjoyed Harada-sensei as the first truly important adult in the cast. He was a nice blend of humor and mentoring, and the way he gently showed Chihaya that she was being selfish by not considering how sad the boys were about separating was a textbook example of the right way to teach a child.

Can we put the Taichi-hate behind us now? He's a good kid, but in many ways the most realistic among the three leads. He listens to his dark side and does selfish things something, though he knows he shouldn't. That's what kids do. He proved his worth to me by having the decency to be ashamed of himself at the end of episode 2, and backed that up this week.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 00:10   Link #192
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Can we put the Taichi-hate behind us now? He's a good kid, but in many ways the most realistic among the three leads. He listens to his dark side and does selfish things something, though he knows he shouldn't. That's what kids do. He proved his worth to me by having the decency to be ashamed of himself at the end of episode 2, and backed that up this week.
Taichi still turns me off, especially in episode 1, when he told Chihaya, that he is dating his girlfriend on a whim. Why except a confession, when your not gonna put any effort into it. People like these really irritates me and I hope Chihaya gets with anyone else, but him.

Regarding Taichi childhood back-story, I forgive him for those childish antics, its understandable, because I can relate.
Old 2011-10-19, 00:19   Link #193
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The mere fact that Taichi was wearing a Batman shirt in Episode 3 made me give his character a second chance.

In fact, I played a mental game with myself that made this episode extra enjoyable for me - I imagined Taichi, Arata, and Chihaya as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman as kids hanging out together and playing this game together. It actually kind of works since Taichi is the all-around smart one who's willing to be a dick at times, Arata wears glasses a lot and is faster than a speeding bullet in getting those cards and he has a deep respect for a beloved parental figure, and Chihaya always stands up for what she thinks is right and she wants her two male teammates to get along with one another.

That being said, I honestly found Episode 3 a bit overdone in the melodrama department (I know I might take some heat for this, but I have to be honest here ).

Just so much crying, and so much shouting... I don't doubt that kids are sometimes like that, but this seemed a bit excessive to me.

Episode 3 was still a good episode for me, as I tend to prefer overacting to underacting (the former is more memorable and attention-grabbing at least), but I would have preferred it if they had dialed things down a notch or two.

Overall, I'd give Episode 3 a 8/10. On the whole, a very good opening arc for Chihayafuru.
Old 2011-10-19, 00:52   Link #194
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Can we put the Taichi-hate behind us now?
He's a jerk in episode one, both with the his callous attitude to his girlfriend, and his attitude when Chihaya started talking about Arata. You're free to love him, just like I'm free to think he's a jerk.

I've known many Taichis through my life, some of them were even good friends, which was the basis for me ignoring their jerkiness in regards to women/relationships, but this Taichi is not my friend; he's just a character in an anime, so he gets to stay in my jerk book for now. So props to the writer for writing a life-like character. Doesn't mean I have to like him.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 01:12   Link #195
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

For all his faults, more and more I'm getting the feeling that Taichi will be the main LI. Out of all the characters he has the most depth, and I can see he has the most room for growth out of the three main cast. Add in his current girlfriend, and you can make so much more drama with Taichi as LI than Arata.

Still, I hate him with a passion. The sting of betrayal is still fresh, and next week's return to the present will serve to repoen them. >_>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 01:13   Link #196
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm still not quite sure why Taichi is supposed to be a bastard for having a GF when he hasn't seen Chihaya in three years...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 01:16   Link #197
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
I'm still not quite sure why Taichi is supposed to be a bastard for having a GF when he hasn't seen Chihaya in three years...
See, I think you're just trolling now Enzo. You know that that isn't the issue, but rather that he's so willing to kick her to the curb at the hint that he might be able to get with Chihaya.

Now, I get that I'm being semi-unfair, as I've heard that it's perfectly normal to say "yes" to girls in Japan if they confess to you, regardless of your feelings. So, from a Japanese point of view, there may not be anything particularly wrong with Taichi's obvious ambivalence towards the girl he's dating, but I don't care. From my view, not the Japanese view, he's a jerk.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 01:18   Link #198
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Its how he regarded this girlfriend, if he is not ready for that type of relationship, he should not have except the confession, it feels like he is stringing people along.

I like Chihaya and I don't think not seeing her for along time, would reflect differently on Taichi behavior.

Regarding how others view him, his first impression for me, is negative and it might be till the end of the show.
Old 2011-10-19, 01:37   Link #199
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I want to see more of teenage Taichi before I evaluate his teenage self.

As for his kid self... If nothing else, he adapts well based on the old saying "If you can't beat them, join them". He did seem to genuinely regard Arata as a friend in Episode 3, and that showed he was overcoming his jealously a little bit at least.

Whether or not that improvement sticks with him into his teenage years, we'll have to wait and see.

First impressions are hard to overcome, though, and so I can't fault people for how it's continuing to stick with them in Taichi's case. First impressions is also the reason why I'll probably never like Taichi as much as I do Arata and Chihaya. But I did genuinely like him in Episode 3, and he's become a very well-rounded character at least.
Old 2011-10-19, 02:22   Link #200
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
See, I think you're just trolling now Enzo. You know that that isn't the issue, but rather that he's so willing to kick her to the curb at the hint that he might be able to get with Chihaya.
Bingo. That's what rubbed me the wrong way in the first episode about Taichi. The brother doesn't need another girl in his life if he's already trying to downplay their relationship after only a short reunion with Chihaya. Better to break it off and look like an asshole instead of letting it linger too long and really hurting the gal. Not that I can blame him. Our main heroine is absolutely fabulous!!!
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse