Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-29, 22:00   Link #81
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
How many days would it take if such changes will be made? Will AS still be accessible during those times?
Old 2013-05-29, 22:02   Link #82
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
How many days would it take if such changes will be made? Will AS still be accessible during those times?
First you'd have to find someone to actually do the design work and coding, so we're nowhere near that point yet. But, that aside, you'd do all the work on a test server and there'd be no downtime.
Old 2013-05-29, 22:14   Link #83
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
First you'd have to find someone to actually do the design work and coding, so we're nowhere near that point yet. But, that aside, you'd do all the work on a test server and there'd be no downtime.
So its the programmer that is the only missing now... so changing ain't disapproved?
Old 2013-05-29, 22:53   Link #84
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
So its the programmer that is the only missing now... so changing ain't disapproved?
Well, yes, I think it was said all along that adding a new theme as an option is possible, but someone would need to design it. But like I said, finding someone willing to make that commitment isn't necessarily going to be easy.
Old 2013-05-29, 22:57   Link #85
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Well, yes, I think it was said all along that adding a new theme as an option is possible, but someone would need to design it. But like I said, finding someone willing to make that commitment isn't necessarily going to be easy.
The payment?
Old 2013-05-30, 00:43   Link #86
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Of course, it'd be easier if you found a vBulletin skin/template that you liked already out there, license it, and use it as a base for tweaking. But it's still not a trivial affair.
*puts on salesman hat*

vBulletin 5 looks pretty cool.
Old 2013-05-30, 00:50   Link #87
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
*puts on salesman hat*

Yeah, as was already said, we're not switching to vBulletin 5 at least until it's more mature and stable. At this time, some of the base functionality we depend on is not even implemented either in the core or as plug-ins... so not ready enough for primetime for us. Maybe in a year?

If we do a new theme, it would be in vBulletin 3.8.x.
Old 2013-05-30, 04:30   Link #88
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
*puts on salesman hat*

Looks aren't everything. Trust me, if we were to convert the forum to vB5 now a lot of people will be unhappy. Not only regular users, but mods as well.

Like vB 4 when it was first released, vB5's current status is a joke. They really simply just took the "Beta" tag off in March and named it "5.00" instead. They didn't put the refraction system back in until version 5.01, lol.

As vBulletin.com themselves use vB5 I have used it for a bit, and I'm not impressed. For example pages in threads are loaded using ajax. Cool. But it also means you have to expressly search for the back buttons on the page rather than using the back button of your browser if you want to back up a page.

Anyway, there are many threads on vBulletin.com I could quote, but how about this one:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-customer-poll

I think it speaks for itself. So no we will not be upgrading to vBulletin 5 anytime soon (not within the next year certainly).

Now as for vB4... upgrading is technically possible. While also a joke at the start, the current version (4.2.1) supposedly isn't bad. But I fail to see which killer features would make the effort of an upgrade worthwhile.

Now as for new themes (including a mobile theme)... I haven't forgotten this, but it's going slow. I want to setup a test installation of the AnimeSuki forum. We had one, but it was a test-conversion of the forum to vB4 (very incomplete with none of the custom plugins we use and incomplete AS style). Anyway I hope to be able to setup the test installation by the weekend, and then I'll have a place to experiment with styles/themes.
Old 2013-05-31, 04:56   Link #89
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Like vB 4 when it was first released, vB5's current status is a joke. They really simply just took the "Beta" tag off in March and named it "5.00" instead. They didn't put the refraction system back in until version 5.01, lol.
That may sound as a joke, but it is the truth.
I am still unable to see what got into them to make such changes, if any, and then in the end even release the version.

Quote:
Now as for new themes (including a mobile theme)... I haven't forgotten this, but it's going slow. I want to setup a test installation of the AnimeSuki forum. We had one, but it was a test-conversion of the forum to vB4 (very incomplete with none of the custom plugins we use and incomplete AS style). Anyway I hope to be able to setup the test installation by the weekend, and then I'll have a place to experiment with styles/themes.
Making a test replica of the forums is something pretty easy.
All you need to do is copy the structure and change from "public" to "private".
However, it would be good if a few other members could get a direct access to it as well. More people, different styles, we can find different possible bugs.
Old 2013-05-31, 12:55   Link #90
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Making a test replica of the forums is something pretty easy.
All you need to do is copy the structure and change from "public" to "private".
No... if you do this, you'd still be working on the same database, and thus defeating the whole purpose of a test site...

In any case, we've set up test sites before; we know what to do and what's involved in doing it properly.
Old 2013-06-08, 14:33   Link #91
Haiprbim
Banned

I'm sorry for a quite late response, again.

Quote:
...and thus defeating the whole purpose of a test site...
I'm sorry, but if that is so, could you tell me just what is the purpose of a test site then?
If it is accessible to everyone (is public), it is basically the same as in-planting it directly.

If we would post an announcement regarding it, everyone will be notified about it.

I only see two differences:
  • More members would overall check the testing out. [Good]
  • A Bug could occur that we could prevent before in-planting the whole thing on the "Official Display". [Not so good, but this way, we could find the bugs faster]

Anyhow, as long as it is efficient and not hard to perform, I leave the methods to you 100%.
Old 2013-06-08, 15:16   Link #92
Owlman

Quote:
I'm sorry for a quite late response, again.

I'm sorry, but if that is so, could you tell me just what is the purpose of a test site then?
If it is accessible to everyone (is public), it is basically the same as in-planting it directly.
The ideal "test site/environment" would be separate from a production site, and will not affect it in any way since things may go wrong, hence the word test.

Quote:
Anyhow, as long as it is efficient and not hard to perform, I leave the methods to you 100%.
This sounds pretty arrogant, its already up to them 100%, the choice of methods were never yours to "leave" to anyone.
Old 2013-06-08, 15:22   Link #93
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
The ideal "test site/environment" would be separate from a production site, and will not affect it in any way since things may go wrong, hence the word test.
That's basically what I've said: "A Bug could occur that we could prevent before in-planting the whole thing on the "Official Display". [Not so good, but this way, we could find the bugs faster]".
But I seriously doubt things can go so wrong that it will effect someone else's computer... Hmm.

Quote:
This sounds pretty arrogant, its already up to them 100%, the choice of methods were never yours to "leave" to anyone.
By that I meant that I won't even bother with suggesting to what their ways of doing test are, although I very much like to see a lot of "Behind the Scenes".
On the other hand, arrogant or not, this response was truly unnecessary and did not bring anything positive nor efficient up.
Old 2013-06-08, 15:25   Link #94
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
But I seriously doubt things can go so wrong that it will effect someone else's computer... Hmm.
I believe the concern is more about corrupting or otherwise damaging the forum's database.
Old 2013-06-08, 15:28   Link #95
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I believe the concern is more about corrupting or otherwise damaging the forum's database.
So basically, they are doing a copy after all, just releasing it in a sort of a "Beta/Test" version.
Yeah, seems simple and logical enough... My post's main focus was just a small request to allow other members to access the Test site out as well, if that was not considered already.
Old 2013-06-08, 15:37   Link #96
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Anyway, I'm going to lock this thread for now. If anyone would like to come forward and volunteer to help us design/customize a new theme for the website, please feel to contact myself or another member of the staff. I think that's really the starting point at this phase.

If something else new comes up and there's a need to re-open this thread, please also let someone on the staff know.

Tags
design, graphical, organization, theme