AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Favourite Character(s) Poll
Kaname Madoka 131 41.85%
Akemi Homura 211 67.41%
Miki Sayaka 89 28.43%
Tomoe Mami 102 32.59%
Sakura Kyoko 132 42.17%
Kyubei 80 25.56%
Shizuki Hitomi 7 2.24%
Kamijou Kyousuke 5 1.60%
Kaname Junko 38 12.14%
Kaname Tomohisa 6 1.92%
Kaname Tatsuya 17 5.43%
Saotome Kazuko 6 1.92%
Other 7 2.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-07, 05:52   Link #161
SunshineCat

1. Homura. Has exactly what I admire in a person: determination. Everything I like about her has been mentioned before.
2. Madoka. Maybe not the most original kind of main character for a magical girl show, but I found her realistic and relatable.
SunshineCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 08:54   Link #162
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I'm still Loling at the fact that Kyubei's more likable than Sayaka in this poll XDDD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 10:13   Link #163
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Gen is sneaking into AS and is trolling the Sayaka fans all the way here.
Old 2012-06-10, 02:37   Link #164
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Now that the poll's open again I can finally put my vote in. I wonder how this one actually closed while Clannad's favorite character poll remained open years after the show ended. Whatever.

Sayaka Miki. Definitely Sayaka Miki.

To be honest, Sayaka was actually aggravating me with how much she was self-destructing herself. Calling Madoka useless was especially harsh. I guess the reason I voted for Miki is less likability and more sympathy. From a wish of naivety hoping her crush will return her feelings, to the denial she displays after learning what her miracle did, to the complete despair she fell into before being morphed into a Witch, we saw it all. Sayaka’s development was painful to watch.

Kyoko Sakura takes second place for being the anti-hero of the series and being unlike any of the show’s characters at all. There’s not much I can say about her because her aggressiveness isn’t a façade; it’s who she actually is. In a way Kyoko is probably the most honest character of PMMM.

Unfortunately, Madoka Kaname and Homura Akemi were not quite as strong for me. Madoka becoming a Goddess removed that sense of realistic familiarity human Madoka had and quite frankly I have trouble relating to Messiah-like figures. Homura just didn’t have much screentime. I’d be lying if I said Akemi’s breakdown in episode 8 wasn’t the most emotionally moving scene of the anime but that wasn’t enough. I wanted to see Homura’s relationship with Madoka grow in “real time” during the first reality over the span of at least one episode.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 12:23   Link #165
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Overall:

1. Homura
2. Sayaka or Mami
3. Kyouko
4. Satome Kazuko/The Teacher

I have to jump on the bandwagon and go with Homura. Her determination
Spoiler for Madoka series spoilers:
give her more of a main character feel to her, and you just can't help but feel for what she went through. Also, Homura made up for her lack of offensive magic in the most badass manner possible: by stealing military hardware.

Madoka on the other hand, seemed to me like a spectator until the very end, when she finally decides to do something. I understand she is supposed to be the antithesis of Homura, but her sheer passivity was something I really didn't like. Maybe I'd like her more if they actually showed some of her in Homura's parallel universes.

As for the other Puella Magi, I would say they were all more likable characters than Madoka, Mami just being generally likable, if naive about the puella magi system, although that is probably for the best, as we saw with her little
Spoiler for Episode 10 spoilers:
. Sayaka was a really dark, tragic character, almost as emotionally stirring as Homura, while Kyouko showed much development, going from from cold and cynical to more open and caring towards Sayaka.

As for the supporting cast, I would have to say the teacher with her whole relationship issues and related rants (fried eggs rant etc).

Finally, about Kyubey, well, Kyubey was the first time I've ever seen such and unlikeable bastard in such a cute exterior. Proves you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Still, I was a bet unsatisfied after what he put all these girls through that he
Spoiler for ending spoilers:
. I don't know, maybe I'm being harsh on Kyubey because I like Homura, I know from his point of view, he did nothing wrong, but if the "Everybody Hates Kyubey" pool on Danboorou shows anything, I'm not the only one!
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 12:36   Link #166
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm being harsh on Kyubey because I like Homura, I know from his point of view, he did nothing wrong, but if the "Everybody Hates Kyubey" pool on Danboorou shows anything, I'm not the only one!
I think the reason Kyubey is hated so much is the very fact he doesn't have an ounce of malice in his intentions. If he were a straightforward villain I'd imagine he'd be liked a lot more for the evil factor. As it stands though he only offers potential Magical Girls the opportunity to go down the Rabbit Hole but never forces any of them to enter it. He's also the bearer of truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

Dare I say nobody hates Kyubey for what he does but for what he represents; complete lack of emotion; perfect objectivity; no feelings to guide him. That, perhaps, is what makes him so unnerving as an antagonist-like figure. It's not even sadistic evil; it's outright uncanny.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 03:33   Link #167
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Took this from the SAO thread (HinataShou) My three fav PMMM girls are back! XDD

BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 11:27   Link #168
taki365

Smile My Favs are

I would have to go with Mami, She is so nice and cool! Homura, Because Her hair flip thing is AWESOME and she worked so hard to save madoka! Kyoko because she is cray cray ad luvs food like me. and Madoka because she sacrificed so much for magical girls to be happy. Sorry i didn't include kyubey even though he is so cute n cuddly. Thx Bye!
taki365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 15:48   Link #169
Seyiku
Knight of Justice

Ah, where is the love for Sayaka? IMHO, she's totally underrated. :L
Anyways, I voted for Miss Miki, and Kyoko.
Seyiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 16:38   Link #170
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiku View Post
Sayaka unfortunately doesn't have as many fans here as the other main cast Puella Magi do, but the fans she does have are very loyal and passionate. It looks like there's now more AS members sporting Sayaka avatars/sigs than there are for any other Puella Magi, except perhaps Homura.

Anyway, welcome to the board! Great to have another Sayaka fan here. I really like your avatar.
Old 2013-09-08, 20:42   Link #171
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiku View Post
You called?

Glad to see another fellow Sayaka fan! I do know we're not as many as fans of the other girls, but as I always like to say - we simply love her more to make up for our numbers!
Old 2013-09-09, 03:44   Link #172
DGDCOne
Memoria Vice Captain

My favourite -
Madoka - love the bow
Kyouko - love crimson
Homura - her time manipulation magic looks cool
Old 2013-09-11, 22:18   Link #173
pisceanreve

Why does everyone say that Homura is just aloof or cold? She's not naturally that way, despite being naturally rational and logical, of course. It's her life that made her so cold and depressed.

Everyone I've talked to who watches this show has hated Sayaka lol I don't know why though. I mean, she's sometimes less nice than the others and frustratingly stubborn, but she doesn't deserve much hate.

Despite all that, I voted just Madoka XD Now I would go back and vote Homura, but I was just posting my top favorite.
I just love Madoka so much! Whenever I see sweet, pure, yet well-developed characters like this, I really admire them and wish I really had those qualities too.
I like that she's not timid though. When Mami went crazy and killed one of the other girls (sorry, I forgot which one...Kyoko, was it?), Madoka killed Mami without hesitation. She didn't want to do it, but it was better than the alternative and she was unwavering.

As for Kyuubei...he just creeped me out. I think I didn't mind him once I discovered and understood his intentions.
pisceanreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 23:39   Link #174
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceanreve View Post
Why does everyone say that Homura is just aloof or cold? She's not naturally that way, despite being naturally rational and logical, of course. It's her life that made her so cold and depressed.

Everyone I've talked to who watches this show has hated Sayaka lol I don't know why though. I mean, she's sometimes less nice than the others and frustratingly stubborn, but she doesn't deserve much hate.
It sounds to me like the people who you've talked to about this show have a tendency to make surface level assessments of the characters. If the viewer doesn't dig deeper into why Homura and Sayaka act the way they do, and if the viewer doesn't try to figuratively walk in these characters' shoes, it's easy to fall into the trap of a purely surface level assessment.

At a surface level, Homura is inexplicably aloof and cold.

At a surface level, Sayaka can come across as very impulsive and hot-headed.

Now I'm not saying that the surface level doesn't matter at all - For example, if someone acts like a dick, well, that dickishness is still going to hurt people even if that person has good reason to be that way.

But the surface level isn't all that matters.

When you dig deeper into both Homura and Sayaka, I think you can largely legitimize their actions. Nobody in this show is perfect, of course - Thankfully, there are no Mary Sues to be found here - But I do think that the characters in this show generally have good reasons for doing and saying what they do and say, even if the actual deeds and words themselves may be mistaken or downright wrong.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of Homura's character, so I'll simply link to a defense I wrote of Sayaka once. If you have a chance, and if you don't mind, please show that defense to those who have expressed hatred of Sayaka to you. You never know, it might change their minds. The last few pages of the Sayaka character thread is also loaded with excellent defenses of her by myself and other AS members.
Old 2013-09-27, 23:30   Link #175
magnum12

If I must rank in order:

1. Homura. Part of this is from also being a Higurashi fan, so certain connections have to be made, which I can't say due to big spoilers to both series. Going through episode 10 and 11 retroactively makes every single word and action of Homura in the previous episodes all the more tragic and painful. Very much like Tsumihoroboshi-hen retroactively makes Onikakushi-hen painful to look at (for me to the point where I struggle to even watch Onikakushi-hen). Then there's her selfless determination and drive admist the hell she's been through. That is a mark of a real hero, even if she's technically a light grade anti-hero. Note: I define anti-heroes by a combination of lack of heroic attitude/personality and/or heroic morality. Then there's how everything she's been through and why is pretty much the first time I've EVER cried during an anime.

Homura has also become a form of inspiration in some TTRPG I'm developing. Through the use of multiclassing and correct choice in talent trees, "Homura Builds" will be not only possible, but really nasty in the hands of a skilled player.

2. Sayaka. A very tragic sort. Her arc is an excellent example of a "Fallen Paladin Tragedy" story. Shame too since if not for it being an Urobuchi work and her not being level headed, she would have made a great paladin. Personally, I don't know whether to blame Kyoskue or Hitomi more in this three way tragedy, even if Sayaka made some screw ups herself. Reminiscent of my sympathies towards Harpuia being that if the Zero series was in ANY other point in the Mega Man time line, he'd be a clear cut albeit jackass hero rather than the tragic and sympathetic Anti-Villain he is.

3. Mami. There's something inherently cool about Musketeer heroes that I can't put my finger on. Also excellent snark bait as well. Like with #1, there's also going to be Mami inspired special attacks as well.

Last edited by magnum12; 2013-09-27 at 23:49.
magnum12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 21:05   Link #176
Gaim
Kamen Rider

Sayaka alone gets my vote. I love all of the girls, more or less (though I do wish some of the spinoff girls could be included in the poll as well!), but Sayaka stole and continues to make the show for me. I could go on about why she's my favorite, but it's late and I probably wouldn't be able to articulate it well anyway - but either way, she's become one of my all time favorites, if not flat out my all time favorite female anime character.
Gaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 23:32   Link #177
Sagitta_Luminis

I like realistic character so...

Madoka : Her decision to think carefully (or frightened) to make a contract is so human in my opinion. especially after those elderitch abominations kill a badass upperclassmen. And I understand why she wasn't wish to bring back Mami alive, they just meet 1 week ago, so.... (My number 3)

Sayaka : Something I always make me laugh because the fact that most my IRL friend like her, will lot of people hate her..., the most human of all five, I like her because she reflecting how people like me, a goofy and carefree person have their dark side too..., and she us cry a lot when rewatching episode 8. and then the love base in my IRL friend getting bigger when Rebellion came up and make her fucking badass, especially when she stopped Homura time-still shit (I mean look at Homu's oh crap face) (My number 1)

Homura : badass, that basically it. Her personality is something what I wanted to be. and the fact she literally a perfect version of Sayaka is make me love her more. (My number 2)

Hitomi : as Sayaka's fan, she doesn't deserve the hate. I mean, something like this is happen a lot in IRL. It's happen to me, I had a friend who like a girl and told everyone he like her, will I secretly like her too and then I'm the one end up with her. it's fair game, love is a competition (especially popular girl/boy), not just you like her, I also like her, a lot of people like her. And all of us have the same chance to confess, not just you, she wasn't your belonging. And Hitomi concerned about her friend to an extend giving Sayaka some time to confess first. (which could be end up right, if Sayaka confess)
Sagitta_Luminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 07:38   Link #178
Homucifer
Banned

It was kyoko at first because she was by far the best looking but homura showed her beastyness and blew away all the other characters in the movie to make her win
Homucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 12:24   Link #179
Sayaka Rei

I voted for Sayaka ... her story in this anime touched me, one of the most tragic that I've seen ... I think she's very human and real ... I would like to express many things about her, but English is not my native language and I can't find the right words ... But I am sure that even after many years from now, when I'll have seen so many other anime and characters, I will always remain very fond of her and what she gave to me ...
Sayaka Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 15:10   Link #180
JaDe In NighT
Lolis are JUSTICE

Voted for Sayaka and Kyuber
JaDe In NighT is offline   Reply With Quote