Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-10-11, 16:24   Link #421
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
Yeah, redundant. Well, Quatre with an emo hairstyle...
Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people that labels the Gundam pilots emos because they're ignorant of their experiences and the fact they're 15 and 16.

I liked the comparison to Quatre.
Old 2010-10-11, 17:43   Link #422
Kitsoru
:3c

Quote:
He looks kind of like an emo Quatre in the novel illustration. At least he outgrew his bad hair...
HAHA exactly what I was thinking.

Anyway, yeah, the capsule reminds me of something out of an ArcSys game >.>

I have to say I'm loving the illustrations for these novels if nothing else. Sakura Asagi's art is beautiful, especially the color works.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 22:28   Link #423
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
HAHA exactly what I was thinking.

Anyway, yeah, the capsule reminds me of something out of an ArcSys game >.>

I have to say I'm loving the illustrations for these novels if nothing else. Sakura Asagi's art is beautiful, especially the color works.
Agreed. The artwork is truly amazing. I'm praying she can draw for an AC manga in the future.
Old 2010-10-11, 22:54   Link #424
wingzerosnuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Agreed. The artwork is truly amazing. I'm praying she can draw for an AC manga in the future.
Well, she already did Blind Target so maybe.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 10:00   Link #425
wingzerosnuggles

Twelve days to go to the next Gundam Ace on October 26. Apparently, December 2010's Gundam Ace is a special edition of some sort. Frozen Teardrop and Glory of the Defeated are definitely going to be in there. Here's a list (in Japanese) of Gundam Ace December 2010's contents:

http://randal.blog91.fc2.com/blog-entry-1303.html
Old 2010-10-14, 11:42   Link #426
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Twelve days to go to the next Gundam Ace on October 26. Apparently, December 2010's Gundam Ace is a special edition of some sort. Frozen Teardrop and Glory of the Defeated are definitely going to be in there. Here's a list (in Japanese) of Gundam Ace December 2010's contents:

http://randal.blog91.fc2.com/blog-entry-1303.html
Can't wait. While I really enjoyed the pictures in the least issue, I hope art of some new characters gets produced.
Old 2010-10-14, 12:22   Link #427
wingzerosnuggles

We did get art of Kathy and Duo Jr. at least. I want some art of young Noin and Asagi's version of Relena from Blind Target was gorgeous so I want to see her in the flesh versus being Heero's angel chamber. Does anyone else think that's creepy? If he was the one who requested it, I'm feeling a mixture of "Aww...you must have loved her to want to spend thirty years inside her." and "Ick...that's a bit obsessive." I really wonder whose idea that was. I doubt Relena would have signed off on it if she knew. I mean it's obvious she has feelings for Heero but I doubt it would sit well with her to know he's frozen in something resembling her.

Last edited by wingzerosnuggles; 2010-10-14 at 12:33.
Old 2010-10-14, 13:35   Link #428
Elo the Blue

Quote:
We did get art of Kathy and Duo Jr. at least. I want some art of young Noin and Asagi's version of Relena from Blind Target was gorgeous so I want to see her in the flesh versus being Heero's angel chamber. Does anyone else think that's creepy? If he was the one who requested it, I'm feeling a mixture of "Aww...you must have loved her to want to spend thirty years inside her." and "Ick...that's a bit obsessive." I really wonder whose idea that was. I doubt Relena would have signed off on it if she knew. I mean it's obvious she has feelings for Heero but I doubt it would sit well with her to know he's frozen in something resembling her.
Yeah, the artwork of Kathy and Duo Jr. was pretty good. On second thought, it'd be nice to see how the pilots look now as well.

Relena's likeness on the chamber is odd. I'm wondering if the design will ever discussed by the characters or if they'll just be "oblivious" to it.
Old 2010-10-14, 15:46   Link #429
wingzerosnuggles

Kathy already noticed it as "familiar" so I have a feeling her likeness will be touched upon. Nobody says Relena's dead and Sally's MIA. Sally was the one who recorded Relena and Dr. J. Hm...
Old 2010-10-14, 22:35   Link #430
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Kathy already noticed it as "familiar" so I have a feeling her likeness will be touched upon. Nobody says Relena's dead and Sally's MIA. Sally was the one who recorded Relena and Dr. J. Hm...
Hopefully what has happened to those two is revealed in the upcoming chapter.
Old 2010-10-15, 22:07   Link #431
wingzerosnuggles

I hope so, too. Also, in other news, it kind of irks me that they chose this image to promote Gundam Wing's upcoming G-SELECTION DVD box set:

http://www.dueler2.com/gundam/g%E3%8...w-dvd-box.html

Irks me even more when my brain goes: foreshadowing? O_O She looks so dead. Not to mention that it makes me think of this Twilight promo pic:
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/i...ht-cast2_l.jpg
Old 2010-10-16, 11:01   Link #432
Azara

you need to stop comparing to twilight. twilight didnt invent the guy carrying girl scene.

thanks for all the info also in this thread, its good to see AC getting some love. though tbh im a bit...worried about what will happen.

main reason i liked the series GW was for its more realistic slant, so i was a bit miffed personally when they made heeros gundam all feathery. EW was still great though. ofcourse now we're getting an angel decorated capsule which is pretty and all but yeah.......will see how it goes anyway.
Azara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 11:54   Link #433
wingzerosnuggles

Um...that was the first time I pointed it out? You seem to be implying that I make such comparisons on a regular basis by stating that I "need to stop." I only mentioned Twilight because I found an amusing pose similarity. If anything, I'm aware of how that pose is a common trend. If you want an example that's less pop culture and more high-brow, it's also reminiscent of Michaelangelo's Pietà, only gender-reversed. That's actually a trope where this image is cited but someone didn't link to the picture. You can check the anime section where Gundam Wing is mentioned:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ietaPlagiarism

Relena holding Heero in Endless Waltz is also an example of this played straight.
Old 2010-10-16, 12:08   Link #434
Azara

It's not the first time you've compared wing with twilight.

"Angelina makes me think of Bella from Twilight taken to a new level of obsession. Or maybe that sick twisted part where Jacob falls in love with Bella's baby. Urgh...the pedophilia. Then again,..."

You did the same thing here. Comparing an often used tragedy, used in wing with twilight. Ridiculing it in the process, though that's not entirely undeserved, it wasn't well-written.
Old 2010-10-16, 12:14   Link #435
wingzerosnuggles

That was based on commentary made by corpus-yaoi in her translation which I paraphrased.

7. Treize and his bro grow up. Treize happily decides he should join the military despite his mother's desires for him to bring peace to Earth and the Colonies. Van, however, believes what his mother says. When Angelina takes the boys to see the Aurora Borealis, she sees a news broadcast that states that Heero Yuy and Eine Yuy have been assassinated. Her life is now destroyed and she slowly starts a fantastic decline that gives Bella Swan of Twilight a run for her angsty money. She starts her decline by going to Treize (still under the age of 10) and kissing him while thinking of Eine (me thinks she might have kissed him AS IF HE WERE Eine) and tells Treize "I love you, Eine" after she kissed her son. WTFery. Her second husband starts to distance himself from his wife by stuffing her in a medical ward, but the boys still go to visit.

http://corpus-yaoi.livejournal.com/21298.html#cutid1

Granted, I should have credited the source but this is hardly an academic matter. Also, you seem to be the only one who has a problem with it. Not to mention that this is only the second occurrence. Sometimes metaphors get recycled, especially if comparisons are valid The likelihood of comparisons is even more common if more than one person has noticed it and a consensus of opinion occurs. Also, last time I checked, anyone is free to make pop cultural references as they please and it's not exactly polite to tell someone they "need to stop" unless it borders on trolling. I can ridicule bad writing if I wish as long as I can support my points using references as I see fit and you are free to disagree.
Old 2010-10-16, 14:00   Link #436
Azara

-not exactly polite to tell someone they "need to stop"
I was not being impolite in how i said it
-you seem to be the only one who has a problem with it
Considering its the same 3 or 4 people talking for 20+pages, that's not saying much.
-anyone is free to make pop cultural references
yes you are, if your sole reference remains twilight, i'll just have to tolerate it.
-you are free to disagree.
yes i am, was it really necessary to type all that to conclude with the obvious?

anyhow, as you said, 'free to disagree'. You are also right, it is only two times the reference is made so i may have jumped the ship too soon. Reading the whole thread within the span of an hour or so while all-together the posts have taken place over a period of months distorted my impression.

Well there we go. Going back to your 'first' post (433), "even more when". What irked you about it other than your for-shadowing?
Old 2010-10-16, 15:08   Link #437
wingzerosnuggles

Saying that someone needs to stop stating their opinion on a certain matter if the aforementioned opinion is not of an offensive nature can be misconstrued as impolite. Then again, this is the internet and miscommunication is the norm. Yes, in my opinion, it was necessary to type all that. I like to support my arguments. That is my preference.

Moving on to the topic, promotional art of that nature can be annoying considering it may be misleading. If you're going to use an image to sell box sets, it should at least be relevant to the series canon. Then again, most anime promo art doesn't subscribe to that logic. However, they did a pretty good job on the DVD covers for the 2007 release with character portraits so it's baffling why they didn't use the same approach for this 2010 G-SELECTION release.
Old 2010-10-16, 16:32   Link #438
Azara

-can be misconstrued as impolite.
I think you were just being touchy but of-course I could have misconstrued your response as such.

-it may be misleading
Relena is not necessarily dead, she may simply be unconscious due to some trauma that will happen within the tf story. So i would say its just your fears acting up.

-they did a pretty good job on the DVD covers for the 2007 release with character portraits so it's baffling why they didn't use the same approach
I don't think we can judge like this yet. As the story unfolds the art may reveal itself to be fitting. They may have used 'spoilers' as an excuse to avoid doing portraits of the main characters, or maybe sume hasn't planned anything that far ahead and so this couldn't be done.

Mind you, I'd have liked cover art or any art really of the gundam pilots from the original series as oldies. Thing is though other than heero i doubt the other ex-gundam pilots will be 'main' characters in the story in which case having them on the covers would be odd. In which case the'd have to put the as of yet-unknown characters on the covers which goes back to the spoilers/sume is winging it point.
Old 2010-10-16, 16:48   Link #439
Kitsoru
:3c

Hi, can we stay on topic instead of squabbling over semantics? Thanks.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 19:20   Link #440
Azara

-we stay on topic
we were. we were talking about cover art.

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing