AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-12-06, 21:03   Link #161
sky black swordman

I am not sure about you guys, but I dont want to see Goku going SSJ4 in the movie.
I don't want there to be any sort of connection between DBZ and GT.

This is just my opinion anyway.
Old 2012-12-06, 21:04   Link #162
GDB

Agreed. Bad enough that Gohan has SSJ hair in the promo.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 21:05   Link #163
Marikina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
I could see it being explained in a few ways:

1.) After a few years of of no training and/or fighting (thanks to peaceful times on earth once again), the potential of Gohans full power has become dormant to a degree yet again. Perhaps that would open up the possibility of him getting back his mystic form throughout the film?

2.) Maybe the magical properties of Buu's digestive system took away his mystic form? (Unlikely)
The design of his eyes in 1) and 2) indicated he still had the Mystic state in both.

Quote:

3.) If Gohans mystic form is the form he takes upon unleashing his full power, then just maybe using SSJ1 would still give him the appearance of a Super Saiyan,(since that wouldn't draw upon his full strength), but mystic gohan becomes his new SSJ2 form. Or maybe they could even take it a step further by making his mystic form take the place of what would've been Gohan's SSJ3 transformation. Actually I think this would be kind of cool to show during the film. IMO, there's something badass about the idea of seeing Gohan power up through two different transformations just to have him revert back to his default form w/ SSJ3 strength.
Well, in a way Gohan's Mystic state just looks like a SSJ in base form. His eyes are drawn in the same "closed" state that the SSJ forms and "intense" characters (like Piccolo and Vegeta) have, and when he flies off to fight Super Buu his look becomes even sterner and his 2 bangs become just one and now angles to the left like it would with Goku in SSJ3. I think even Piccolo comments on it.

My explanation is it's like in movie 13, where the Mystic state is treated like a regular transformation, and hence can be "lost" and allow Gohan to use the SSJ forms again.
Marikina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 21:16   Link #164
sayde

^^Fair enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
I am not sure about you guys, but I dont want to see Goku going SSJ4 in the movie.
I don't want there to be any sort of connection between DBZ and GT.

This is just my opinion anyway.
The ironic thing (IMO) is that having Goku discover SSJ4 for the first time during a supposedly canon movie like this would practically be tantamount to admitting GT never happened. Especially if they're allowed to take some creative liberties by modifying his transformations appearance.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 11:21   Link #165
GDB

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-footage-aired

New footage. Gohan goes SSJ (wasn't just the flyer), Pilaf and his gang are in the movie (wtf), Tien is there (almost looks like he's wearing his Crain outfit).
Old 2012-12-07, 11:28   Link #166
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-footage-aired

New footage. Gohan goes SSJ (wasn't just the flyer), Pilaf and his gang are in the movie (wtf), Tien is there (almost looks like he's wearing his Crain outfit).
I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 2012-12-07, 13:16   Link #167
Blaat

SSJ Gohan will cause a shitstorm now, seriously has every one at Toei forgotten about Mystic/Ultimate Gohan or are they too afraid to inform Toriyama about this?

Besides that it looks pretty good.
Old 2012-12-07, 18:12   Link #168
marvelB

Been meaning to comment on this movie for a while now, but I'm looking forward to it. Sure, it has the same basic plot as almost every Z movie ever (strong guy appears, kicks Goku and co.'s ass, Goku comes back and finishes him with kamehameha/genkidama), but hey, has plot ever been DB's strongest point?

Plus, I just find it amusing that the main enemy this time is some goofy-looking rabbit god dude. I always find myself preferring Toriyama's goofier villains over the more serious ones for the most part, so that's a plus for me!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 20:30   Link #169
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

To be honest, I never really like Gohan's mystic ability in the first place. I'm a super saiyan buff through and through. So the creators retconning his mystic powers? A win for me. I couldn't care less about what is canon in DBZ.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 21:11   Link #170
Marikina

Re: Gohan as SSJ

I don't like it, but I can accept it. Like I said, the movies already established that Mystic is just another transformation, so it's easy to handwave losing it.
Old 2012-12-07, 21:21   Link #171
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Been meaning to comment on this movie for a while now, but I'm looking forward to it. Sure, it has the same basic plot as almost every Z movie ever (strong guy appears, kicks Goku and co.'s ass, Goku comes back and finishes him with kamehameha/genkidama), but hey, has plot ever been DB's strongest point?
Hey now...

Broly was defeated the first time by a "Power of Friendship" punch
Bojack was defeated by Gohan (...with a Kamehameha)
Broly the third time was defeated by Goten/Kid Trunks/Krillin (...with a Kamehameha)
Janemba was defeated by a Stardust Breaker
Hildegarn was defeated by a Dragon Fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marikina View Post
Like I said, the movies already established that Mystic is just another transformation, so it's easy to handwave losing it.
How so? After he attained the Mystic level, there was only one movie: Dragon Fist. He didn't really "transform" so much as he did "power up", which is what he did when he first obtained it too.
Old 2012-12-07, 21:30   Link #172
Marikina

Quote:
How so? After he attained the Mystic level, there was only one movie: Dragon Fist. He didn't really "transform" so much as he did "power up", which is what he did when he first obtained it too.
But the Mystic state became his permanent one after finalizing the ritual in the Kai's world. Movie 13 had him back to his old "open" eyes state in his base form, and he had to do the "turn into a SSJ" thing again to "transform" into the "closed" eyes Mystic state (i.e. just another transformation).
Old 2012-12-07, 21:41   Link #173
GDB

I'm looking at pictures of him through WGS/Babidi/Buu/Fusion/Kid Buu. His pupils didn't really change (not counting SSJ Green) at any time. Still doesn't explain how the ceremony finished, he wasn't Mystic, he tries to go SSJ, and becomes "Mystic". That tells me it isn't a perpetual state of being any more than a character's normal maximum power is.
Old 2012-12-07, 21:51   Link #174
Marikina

Quote:
I'm looking at pictures of him through WGS/Babidi/Buu/Fusion/Kid Buu. His pupils didn't really change (not counting SSJ Green) at any time. Still doesn't explain how the ceremony finished, he wasn't Mystic, he tries to go SSJ, and becomes "Mystic". That tells me it isn't a perpetual state of being any more than a character's normal maximum power is.
Turning into a SSJ was what finalized the ritual and turned him into Mystic permanently. From that point on he always had the "closed" eyes design. In movie 13 it was portrayed as he was back to having his old "open" eyes design in his base form, and he had to do the "power up like a SSJ" part again and again to turn into his Mystic state.
Old 2012-12-07, 23:10   Link #175
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

dragon ball, like almost any long running shonen title is full of fallacies, and truth to be told, dragon ball its probably the most plot hole filled story out there, so these inconsistencies are nothing new in the series, the problem its that the audience nowadays is more aware of these things.
Old 2012-12-08, 01:59   Link #176
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
SSJ Gohan will cause a shitstorm now, seriously has every one at Toei forgotten about Mystic/Ultimate Gohan or are they too afraid to inform Toriyama about this?

Besides that it looks pretty good.
Toei - Toriyama-san, we're retconning out Mystic Gohan so he can go SSJ again!

Toriyama - Not like I care, I was forced to write that damn arc.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 04:03   Link #177
Blaat

^More like "Who was Gohan again?"
Old 2012-12-08, 04:03   Link #178
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Is there a link to a NON private version of the trailer? The only one we have so far is private.
Old 2012-12-08, 04:13   Link #179
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Is there a link to a NON private version of the trailer? The only one we have so far is private.
Click!

10chars
Old 2012-12-08, 04:18   Link #180
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Click!

10chars
Excellent, thank you!

Well, it looks pretty good so far, animation looks top notch. Bils is growing on me as well. Didn't think his design would, but now it has.