Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-07-16, 21:19   Link #21
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar
I've often had some fun ideas concerning a blend of Gundam with traditional element from other anime in the mecha genre. I don't mean a crossover, but instead the kind of story that looks at the concept of Gundam through a distorting mirror. For example, it's often been said that G Gundam is a blend of elements from Gundam and traditional super robot anime. I can see a lot more things that could be done in a similar vein, but as I've said, that's the kind of idea that's more likely to work as a fanfic.
Well, that's the main problem with Gundam. Since tradisionalism aka the same old formula works be it flashy Gundams with cool characters or gritty realistic Gundams with a dark war story, both have constantly sold itself well with the targetted community despite repitition be it the Gundam franchise or something outside Gundam.

And it probably puts Sunrise in a pinch to do some different. G Gundam was long ago, and it'd probably got some slack being the first ever AU series.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 08:40   Link #22
Ansa

I've thought up a fair sequal to GSD set 7 years into the future and very little of Kira/Athrun/Shinn... Although Athrun has a direct hand in the storyline but isn't a soldier. Basic concept is that the main character is a soldier in ORB's military and is assigned to ORB's newest peacekeeping battleship (ship is not named yet) and given ORB's latest MS, BLADE. Which uses a prototype Anti-Beam Sword, as well as other armaments. The Main character Shirou, is choosen to be Blades pilot by Athrun after Shirou speaks to him and tells him that Blade hates it's name and says it should be called Tears.

I haven't thought that much on the storyline but heres some more unique things i've thought up.

Shirou is a Newtype/Psychic and a SEED (Shirou mistakes his newtype abilties for that of a psychics and IS aware of his SEED abilties but doesn't undestand what that is either and thinks its also like a Psychic power)

TEARS the name of BLADE's computer is actually techinally a living computer as the computer is from the brain of a young child Tears or the young child was also a newtype which is why Shirou can communicate with it.

Midway through the series Shirou would be ambushed and shot down and nearly killed but is saved thanks to Shinn and a somewhat rebuilt Destiny. Shinn takes Shirou back to his home where he recovers, it is their that Shirou meets a pregnant Luna and luna's young daughter. Shinn tells Shirou "I shook the hand of my greatest enemy and promised to protect the future togeather with him" but then goes on to explain that he couldn't do it after his wife (Luna obviously) got pregant and secretly left the military with a half rebuilt Destiny, Shinn had always wanted to go fight again but he learned of things that were more important to him and instead took care of Luna and never finished rebuilding Destiny (although it was obviously still useable) Shinn goes on to tell Shirou that he reminds him of an old friend of his and then shows him a rebuilt Destiny/Blade Gundam which he took the liberty of naming 'Destiny's Tears' which is vastly more powerful then either Destiny or Blade and Shinn decides to give it to Shirou asking him to take his place in protecting the future. Shirou agrees and takes Destiny's Tears.

While Shirou is trying to return to ORB in order to locate his friends and his ship, Kira and Lacus make a trip down to ORB from PLANT bringing with them Freedom as a memorial ceremony deadicated to the lives lost in the two previous wars is about to begin. (Freedom is brought as it is an icon of the two last Wars, as is Justice... which Athrun already had in ORB) just as the ceremony is about to take place two captured pilots (which Shirou and Blade took down) are able to hijack Freedom and Justice and attempt to escape and burn ORB to the ground. It is then that Shirou returns to ORB and has to taken on the former two Super Gundams...

Thats about as far as I got, I left a lot of storyline out as it would take to long to explain EVERYTHING thats going on XD
Ansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 09:48   Link #23
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
What about those BB Senshi Gundams? Forget SD Gundam Force and place a literal feudal age Japan with samurai Gundams for mechs! Not chibified, mind you, REAL size mechs! Now even the trace system would make sense... and since this is feudal age Japan you could almost imagine the depth of sheer poetry in action whenever 2 samurai mechs fight...

I also have an idea about chivalrous knights and Gundams, and the main character is a princess with an unusual penchant for sheer destruction rather than all out peace as all good royal princesses ought to go. Not just simple Medieval Age chivalry mind you. Guns, Gothic settings, the works. And since Fukuda has always been itching for a super robot war show thinly disguised as Gundam, we could forgive him for inserting mystical summons or what have you. the Haros would become mystical keys that would activate these strange, thousands of years into the future or past (high technology from a long lost race or a race who forgot their arsenal back in time) relics, and once all 7 Haros are found, the real war ensues! (hey, not a bad idea for a fanfic... )

Seriously, there's a need for a strong female main character in Gundam.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 11:18   Link #24
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

Well, I hope that they don''t give one of the good guuys the red gundam. It's not really fair to have both of the best gundams on the same side like what they did in Seed. It just makes the show unbalanced.
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 12:28   Link #25
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I never thought the CE universe is quite over yet (of course, there is the upcoming movie, side stories... and more opportunities for Gundam crews to milk more money).

First, CE introduced the 'Martians', so they could have a role or two in the (near) future. That and I've always thought what the kids of Kira & co. will look like... *grin*

Second, let us also not forget, CE is the first Gundam to introduce alien species, maybe they could have a greater role in the future? I always thought it would be interesting to see Gundams and aliens duking it out

- Tak (I miss Macross...)
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 12:38   Link #26
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

5 bucks says that they'll do nothing with the aliens. They did nothing with the whales, they did barely anything with the whole racial backround(why the fuck did they start the whole war in the first place? They did the whole racial thing good at the start, but then it just falls apart).
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 13:00   Link #27
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Me? Here are my proposals

1) Have the main character have a mechwarrior like mindset, look at battletech characters, they are generally fearless, grown up (at least not a teenager) and is born a soldier most of the time. Gundamjacks are just sometimes stupid, I prefer to see a gundam rightfully received then a gundamjack. But yeah we want an adult main

2) Stop these damn 3rd faction things. It seems starting in Zeta, we experienced a change where neither major factions are black and white anymore but pretty much black. I want back the good old fashioned black and white factions ala rebels and the empire

3) For some kicks, make MS arenas in the earth. I mean in a war ravaged world, some areas will break down to anarchy and will set up il/legal fight rings where Stolen/salvaged MS's duke it out for money.

4) If they really going to make the main character a third faction again. Then make him a merc. I am tired of pacifist heroes. I want an anti hero who only cares about money, fame and being called one of the toughest pilots of all time by the commonfolk (Mercs hate getting into politcal situations, they may be benefitting from this, but generally mercs dont try to wedge their way into the politcal ladder.)
Old 2006-07-17, 13:34   Link #28
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

"5 bucks says that they'll do nothing with the aliens. They did nothing with the whales, they did barely anything with the whole racial backround(why the fuck did they start the whole war in the first place? They did the whole racial thing good at the start, but then it just falls apart)."

Yeah, probably. The racial thing sort of became a sideline by the middle of SEED. But keep in mind, racial differences seldomly remain the centerpiece of any warfare, at least for the soldiers on the front, which is nothing more than to kill or be killed. To reinforce causes of warfare with racial tension is the work of governments, and to SEED's credit, that was exactly what the Federation and ZAFT did.

"Have the main character have a mechwarrior like mindset, look at battletech characters, they are generally fearless, grown up (at least not a teenager) and is born a soldier most of the time. Gundamjacks are just sometimes stupid, I prefer to see a gundam rightfully received then a gundamjack. But yeah we want an adult main"

Well, we got Shiro Yamada from 08 MS Team. He got his Gundam 'legally' *grin* and he is the oldest protagnist in a Gundam story (24 years! That is old in Gundam terms!).

"I want back the good old fashioned black and white factions ala rebels and the empire"

Not going to happen. One of the best parts to Gundam is the political drama. I never liked Star Wars' political tension, its too black & white, and not enough grey. Its simply not good drama. Politics is grey, simple as that. Gundam often questions morality, you cannot question morality in a black & white world.

"For some kicks, make MS arenas in the earth. I mean in a war ravaged world, some areas will break down to anarchy and will set up il/legal fight rings where Stolen/salvaged MS's duke it out for money."

G Gundam... and by God(dess), if I can forget about the show, I would. But now its embeded in my memory as a mental scar that can no longer heal.

"If they really going to make the main character a third faction again. Then make him a merc. I am tired of pacifist heroes. I want an anti hero who only cares about money, fame and being called one of the toughest pilots of all time by the commonfolk (Mercs hate getting into politcal situations, they may be benefitting from this, but generally mercs dont try to wedge their way into the politcal ladder.)"

Astray

- Tak (I miss Macross...)
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 13:46   Link #29
grandmaster192

Am I the only person here that cares about the Antagonist?
Old 2006-07-17, 14:25   Link #30
fizzmaister
The Tall One

no I just haven't had anything good to say yet. But yes if you want a grey story you need an antaganist that isn't a villain/anti-hero and a protaganist that isn't a hero (or vice versa). If there is equal time spent on character development and glorification on both sides.

Imagine if we could get the story writers to play a war game (imaginary) about the story they will write about. then you have one group write about one faction the other about the other (both thinking they're writing from the good guys perspective, have a third group compile it and show both sides with equal screen time.
Old 2006-07-17, 15:43   Link #31
grandmaster192

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaister
no I just haven't had anything good to say yet. But yes if you want a grey story you need an antaganist that isn't a villain/anti-hero and a protaganist that isn't a hero (or vice versa). If there is equal time spent on character development and glorification on both sides.

Imagine if we could get the story writers to play a war game (imaginary) about the story they will write about. then you have one group write about one faction the other about the other (both thinking they're writing from the good guys perspective, have a third group compile it and show both sides with equal screen time.
You mean like S-cry-ed?
Old 2006-07-17, 20:31   Link #32
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe
Me? Here are my proposals

1) Have the main character have a mechwarrior like mindset, look at battletech characters, they are generally fearless, grown up (at least not a teenager) and is born a soldier most of the time. Gundamjacks are just sometimes stupid, I prefer to see a gundam rightfully received then a gundamjack. But yeah we want an adult main

2) Stop these damn 3rd faction things. It seems starting in Zeta, we experienced a change where neither major factions are black and white anymore but pretty much black. I want back the good old fashioned black and white factions ala rebels and the empire

3) For some kicks, make MS arenas in the earth. I mean in a war ravaged world, some areas will break down to anarchy and will set up il/legal fight rings where Stolen/salvaged MS's duke it out for money.

4) If they really going to make the main character a third faction again. Then make him a merc. I am tired of pacifist heroes. I want an anti hero who only cares about money, fame and being called one of the toughest pilots of all time by the commonfolk (Mercs hate getting into politcal situations, they may be benefitting from this, but generally mercs dont try to wedge their way into the politcal ladder.)

1.uh i have no comment.

2. well zeta gundam wasn't black and white okay it was but at the same time had shades of grey. okay there was good and bad in the original but not completley.(see ramba ral)in zeta gundam there good people that where in the titans, and jerks in the aeug.(see wong lee) , in zz there people siding with neo-zeon that where good people and villians that wheren't evil. okay there is black and white but at the same time there is no black and white.

uh what the hell did i just say?

3. reminds me of something from s-cry-ed.

4.that would be nice, the pacificst heroes worked in gundam wing and trigun but in gsd it failed.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 20:39   Link #33
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
I WANT a GOOD antagonist. As in he doesn't care about anybody else except his dreams of world domination, and that he's SO bad that he'll get real good fanbase for it too. And, perhaps, the bad guys winning for a change. Watching Destiny made me feel this way (bad guys FTW!). Damn you, Fukuda! >

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 21:18   Link #34
Knightmare213

I have another: how about a series about a futuristic counterterrorist unit ( 24's CTU FTW!!)? Asage's mercenary idea is good, but having a bad guy as a protagonist might not take off well. Original, but not all originals are successful.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 21:23   Link #35
shaolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213
I have another: how about a series about a futuristic counterterrorist unit ( 24's CTU FTW!!)? Asage's mercenary idea is good, but having a bad guy as a protagonist might not take off well. Original, but not all originals are successful.

In the end. It is about how it is done.
shaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 22:50   Link #36
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Greatness
Am I the only person here that cares about the Antagonist?

No your not, but it isn't like Shinn couldn't have been a great antagonist he just got $hited on and abandoned...Like Sniper said...I want a GOOD antagonist...Don't much care who it is as long the person is written GOOD (which means good developement, good style, good dialouge, good character interaction)...Obviously they'd be a good pilot and from there the possibilities can evolve...I think the C.E. has experimented around too much already...No martians, no aliens, that $hit is weak and not Gundam...Macross, Blue Gender, Gunparade, EVA, so on and so forth are the genres of mecha that deal with aliens...GUNDAM IS NOT...it's suppose to be a plausible portrayle with the exception of GSD, G, and maybe Wing (although I dig both Wing and G)...If it ever goes in the Gundam vs. Alien invaders direction they will have officially "jumped the shark"...I don't care if ASTRAY implies some of this...

As for my personal Gundam touches I would love to see Gundam animated in a totally different style...I would love to see S.Watanabe's (Cowboy bebop, Samurai Champloo, The Animatrix) vision of Gundam and let him and his team design the mecha and character designs because I love his gritty and flavor-filled style...Perhaps a bit more extreme but I'd even like to see an outrages version on Gundam drawn in a completley abstract style like FLCL...Perhaps serious, perhaps not, but I'd like to see a drastic change in animation style as my personal touch (With that said though I have to say Stargazer's animation was quite rich and mature, I didn't see one Fafner-reject^^)...

Off-topic:
@Tak For the love of God dude please use the button when you want to respond back to people...Your posts are kinda a chore to read...
Old 2006-07-17, 23:24   Link #37
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

My Gundam vision :

A well developed protagonist. Most preferably character developments like Yuri of SH2 or Luke of Tales of Abyss.

Amazing side-characters. Megumi no Daigo's firemen, I'm looking at you. Especially Gomi and Amakusa.

A strong plot veiled with layers of mystique, mystery, and suspence that leaves the story on edge with questions that is answered one by one as the story progresses. Akin to the later half of Pyschometrer Eiji, Project ARMs, etc.

Ridiculuously amazing antogonist(s) and slow-burning antagonist character development. I'm probably one of the few who thinks that antagonist deserves better limelight than protagonist, but whatever. Hadlar of Dai no Daibouken is argubly the only antagonist in my mind with a truly epic character development from a stereotype foil-demon commander into the awesomeness he became later on.

Emotional and powerful moments. Fist of the North Star. Master Asia.

Art and animation...I don't really care much about it. Being good is a plus though.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 01:16   Link #38
4Tran

I think that it would be more interesting if a Gundam show played around with some of its more iconic (and thereby perhaps more limiting) elements. Perhaps they could do away with melee combat, beam swords, shields and the like altogether. Alternatively, they could get away from the "teenager ace" trap and just focus on the generals instead.
Old 2006-07-18, 06:16   Link #39
OMG_Zerg_Rush

My idea is to let the bad guys win the final, because its not like the good guys always win in the real world right?
At the end of gs i was like wtf three ships up against two armies and the death star( two in gsd) and they won but only lost one of their team member!
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD

Last edited by OMG_Zerg_Rush; 2011-03-21 at 14:43.
OMG_Zerg_Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 09:01   Link #40
Ansa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Zerg_Rush
My idea is to let the bad guys win the final, because its not like the good guys always win in the real world right?
At the end of gs i was like wtf three ships up against two armies and the death star( two in gsd) and they won but only lost one of their team member!
This isn't star wars XD and Meteor was made to take out massive amounts of enemies at once. And in GSD They had a large part of the ORB military with them, it wasn't like Super Gundams vs. All of ZAFT.
Ansa is offline   Reply With Quote