AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-19, 17:08   Link #81
dieseltrain

i hope by the end of the show there is a closure to their relationship. the only show i have ever seen the closure is maison ikkoku, which has the best ending for an anime of all time. its a lost art.
dieseltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 19:01   Link #82
RMgX

Question about Ryoko's drink in ep1-ep2
Spoiler for ep 2:
RMgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 22:31   Link #83
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMgX View Post
Question about Ryoko's drink in ep1-ep2
Spoiler for ep 2:
Yea I'm alittle fuzzy on that too...He mentioned something along the lines of "What if she had poisoned it" or some such...So does that mean she was trying to kill her some other way? If so why was she looking at her with such anticipation as she drank...I dunno just doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Meh putting that little annoyance aside I really like the show...Nice break from Moe character designs.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 01:00   Link #84
wao
OK.

Man, episode 3 just jacked up the sexual tension by a few notches

Spoiler for ep 3:

But still I can't shake off the feeling that an episode like this should have come later rather than earlier...
Old 2008-07-20, 01:04   Link #85
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
But still I can't shake off the feeling that an episode like this should have come later rather than earlier...
...I think I understand what you mean. The calm before the storm?

But hey, if every episode would be like this once a while, then I won't complain.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 04:29   Link #86
jlee

It's nice seeing non-teenagers in an anime. Some maturity is always good. Supernatural + detective = good stuff. If only my law degree led to fun stuff like this. Haha. Guess I needed a rival eh? Or the supernatural?

Enjoying this anime.
jlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 06:05   Link #87
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Yep, mystery+supernatural+detective is epic win. My favourite character is Junichirou, he may be Ryoko's slave but he can kick asses, somehow he is the enhanced version of Rock

I was a little puzzled seeing how they lead the investigation. They entered the villain's nest without any backup!? O_o
But it's nothing major, still, as I previously said, I am disappointed with the songs.

I hope Ryoko and Junichirou's relationship will develop, but 13 episodes...
Old 2008-07-20, 06:50   Link #88
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

After watching the first two episodes, this has struck me as being decidedly all-style, no-substance. I really can't see too much that separates this from a generic police-cum-supernatural type show, with the exception of the willfully sexual and aggressive female lead. I guess there's an odd-couple thing going on between her, sexy and stylish, and the average Izumada, who has the swagger of an every Japanese salaryman, but the fists of fury, but, well, yeah, an odd-couple partnership in a cop show, where haven't I seen that before?
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 07:12   Link #89
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good

Loving every bit of this series so far. The character relationships are by far the best bit about it though ^_^. Ryoko has such a fun and laid back attitude. This is definately one of the shows of the season at the moment.
Sun Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 08:52   Link #90
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm afraid I'm leaning more toward Sorrow-K's view about this show. I do like the glossy noir style and the acting, but so far the story seems almost childish with holes you can drive a truck through. Along with Ryoko's miraculous avoidance (survival?) at the bar, her whole approach to law enforcement reminds me of America in the 30's.

Perhaps I missed something, but isn't Ryoko both an officer of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police and the CEO of her family's private security firm? Nah, no conflict of interest there. What about minor things like warrants? Do Japanese police forces routinely break into suspicious buildings on their own and pilfer evidence?

I like the glamour and the romance. (It seems Ryoko must end up in Junichirou's arms at least two or three times per episode.) However, office romances between superior and subordinate almost always end badly in real life (been there, done that), and Ryoko's aggressively sexual manner with Junichirou makes me cringe a bit. I feel sorry for the guy; even if he has feelings for her, he'd still be putting his career on the line if he ever expresses them.

As for the opening credits, of course they're a tribute to Maurice Binder, who created the dancing nudes sequence that became the trademark for the Bond films. The first episode plays on the Bond theme as well, dressing Junichirou in that elegant tuxedo. There is also, perhaps, a touch of satire here, since it's unclear which of our leads is really the Bond-equivalent. Perhaps it "takes two" in this case mixing Ryoko's smarts and intuition with Junichirou's fists and more plodding, but still effective intelligence.

I'm still going to watch this for a while for its pure entertainment value and its adult cast. But having just watched all of Kure-nai again before starting this, the contrast was rather large.

And, tiger, I'm a bit surprised that you can sport Sora as your avatar and then say there haven't been any good jazz scores in anime since Cowboy Bebop. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the big-band sound that Yusuke Honma exploits so well in Oh! Edo Rocket.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 11:21   Link #91
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
I like the glamour and the romance. (It seems Ryoko must end up in Junichirou's arms at least two or three times per episode.) However, office romances between superior and subordinate almost always end badly in real life (been there, done that).
Oh, you naughty boy, you. Care to spill the beans for all and sundry, so that we may profit learn from your experience?

A colleague of mine uttered some "wise words" recently: It's not a man's fault if he's born poor, but it's definitely his own bloody fault if he marries poor. Amen.

If only I were eligible enough for a drop-dead gorgeous multi-billion-dollar heiress to hit on me everyday. Life's unfair that way.

I think it should be obvious why I'm loving this show and am going to follow it?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 13:45   Link #92
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
And, tiger, I'm a bit surprised that you can sport Sora as your avatar and then say there haven't been any good jazz scores in anime since Cowboy Bebop. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the big-band sound that Yusuke Honma exploits so well in Oh! Edo Rocket.
Yeah, Oh! Edo Rocket has an awesome jazz OST, but I was talking about opening and ending songs in particular. Maybe, only the second ending song of Oh! Edo Rocket has some jazz influences.
Old 2008-07-20, 13:51   Link #93
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm afraid I'm leaning more toward Sorrow-K's view about this show. I do like the glossy noir style and the acting, but so far the story seems almost childish with holes you can drive a truck through. Along with Ryoko's miraculous avoidance (survival?) at the bar, her whole approach to law enforcement reminds me of America in the 30's.

Perhaps I missed something, but isn't Ryoko both an officer of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police and the CEO of her family's private security firm? Nah, no conflict of interest there. What about minor things like warrants? Do Japanese police forces routinely break into suspicious buildings on their own and pilfer evidence?

I like the glamour and the romance. (It seems Ryoko must end up in Junichirou's arms at least two or three times per episode.) However, office romances between superior and subordinate almost always end badly in real life (been there, done that), and Ryoko's aggressively sexual manner with Junichirou makes me cringe a bit. I feel sorry for the guy; even if he has feelings for her, he'd still be putting his career on the line if he ever expresses them.

As for the opening credits, of course they're a tribute to Maurice Binder, who created the dancing nudes sequence that became the trademark for the Bond films. The first episode plays on the Bond theme as well, dressing Junichirou in that elegant tuxedo. There is also, perhaps, a touch of satire here, since it's unclear which of our leads is really the Bond-equivalent. Perhaps it "takes two" in this case mixing Ryoko's smarts and intuition with Junichirou's fists and more plodding, but still effective intelligence.

I'm still going to watch this for a while for its pure entertainment value and its adult cast. But having just watched all of Kure-nai again before starting this, the contrast was rather large.

Ryoko is not the CEO, his dad is, althrough Ryoko is a shareholder and heiress. As for conflict of interests, it doesn't really exist in Japan (at least in dramas and anime) Beside the setting of the story is that JACES is the perfered place to work for retired officers and high-rank police so they there's no way they can stop Ryoko from being an officer and no one can stop her raising hell nor did they try other than Yukiko. ( Japan has a system that political/judicial figure tends to work for corporations after their term ends or retires.) And even she can't stop Ryoko because she can rarely out-argue Ryoko.

Case in point, there was once in novel Yukiko confronted Ryoko about sharing investigation information to her loli-maids and have them helping her in a case with weapons and computer hacking. Ryoko's reponse was:

1) Loli-maids are off-clock so now they are just nice civilians willing to help out and assist the police, not to mention they don't cost the govenment when usually in these civilian-assist scenario that government will provid some gratuity to the civilian/informants.
2) All guns are registered, therefore they are not illegal.
3) The system they are hacking into is JACES system, and as one of the majority sharholder, if she didn't mind, than it's non of police' bussiness.

And that shut Yukiko shut quite nicely despise the obvious fact that she know the loli-maids are basically Ryoko's personal force.

As for warrant, it never stops Ryoko before so why should it now. Besides it was sort of explained in episode one, the building owner(?) said he'll cooperate with the investigation and allows them to go in and look for what they want in return for Ryoko not leaking infomation about possible bribing/corruption. That's pretty much all Ryoko needed as excuse and to her it an free-for-all, lifetime membership pass.

As for Junichiro's career, it had already went down the drain the moment Ryoko made him her subordinate. He had a promising career path as an elite NON-CAREER officer. Now thanks to Ryoko, if she ever decide to dump him, his career would be pretty much finished because the rest of the police world had already put him as Ryoko's accomplice and would only try segregate him. ( Not that they are not doing it to him already) So sticking with Ryoko-sama is his only way to survive and only option.

But I doubt there will be any closure to their relation as the novel is still on-going and one of the great dynamic is that while Junichiro is a capable officer, he become incredibally dense when it comes to women.

After the first anime case, I felt a little letdown that there wasn't a monster in the first two episode, The snake doesn't count because it was just a normal snake on suped up steroid/HGH. On the other hand, while they linked this with exlicr and immortal drug, it wasn't linked to a specific legend or forklore like the novel always do and the plot isn't as tight as I would like.

But all in all, while the anime is definitly not on par with the novels, it is still pretty good series in my mind, espcially for poeple who had read the novel.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2008-07-20 at 14:17.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 15:16   Link #94
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

So far, the way Nabatame Hitomi is playing the "willfully sexual and aggressive female lead" has been enough for me. The stories are kind of bland, but she isn't. I expect to get fed up with her well-voiced (Kiuchi Hidenobu) but too blind for words subordinate, however. I can only take that meme for a while. And personally, I hate monsters. The fewer of them I see in anime the better. But I know that's just me.
Spoiler for ep3:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 21:22   Link #95
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
So far, the way Nabatame Hitomi is playing the "willfully sexual and aggressive female lead" has been enough for me. The stories are kind of bland, but she isn't.
Oh yeah, I certainly won't disagree that Nabatame has been superb so far. I expect to be long buried underground before I start criticizing Nabatame in this, or, well, anything. I'm just looking forward to this being a little more than bizarre supernatural case-of-the-fortnight.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 22:39   Link #96
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, episode 3 is pretty much filler, but it shows Ryoko's devious side.

Hah, poor Izumida. I can finally understand why he thinks that Ryoko is just messing with him.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-21, 09:34   Link #97
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Hey guys just caught episode 1 and 2 pretty interesting series but nothing special. I think what makes it interesting is Ryoko's and her man servant's relationship because the crimes are still you typical anime supernatural murders and such. Animation is not impressive but for a series like this there is no need to go huge budget on it. The dialog is what i really like the conversations seem to flow really well. Really no point in touching on some inconsistencies in the series except for the while Ryoko and her drink thing. I mean its possible that she knew it was not poisoned but i dont really see how that would be the case.

The OP has a jazzy theme to it which i enjoy since i like jazz. Over all i like the series im not expecting much but that might be why i like it so much fairly straight forward not a lot of thinking involved and whole hell of a lot sexual tension Jesues. I couldnt work with a boss that hot i would have been fired for sexual harassment on the first day. But i cant help but to feel that Ryoko is playing with Izumida even if she did get a little jealous when she thought the note at the bar was from the other detective.

The question is could any guy ever hope to get with a women like Ryoko. I think you need the blessing of god from multiple religions and ballz made of adamantium to tame that shrew.
Old 2008-07-21, 11:35   Link #98
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
The question is could any guy ever hope to get with a women like Ryoko. I think you need the blessing of god from multiple religions and ballz made of adamantium to tame that shrew.
Nope. It would only take a self-confident man with no ego. But when was the last time you met such a man?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 11:55   Link #99
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Nope. It would only take a self-confident man with no ego. But when was the last time you met such a man?
+1 for you damn if thats the case there are going to be some lonely men in the world.
Old 2008-07-21, 15:59   Link #100
kujoe
from head to heel

See, that's why a lot of men will find it hard to get her attention... because they assume that she has to be "tamed" in the first place.

Tags
supernatural