AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-25, 04:07   Link #1361
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuniiChan View Post
I'll take Man-Sherly, Spiteful-Sheryl, B****y-Sheryl, Stuck up-Sheryl, Near death- Sheryl, "who the hell do you think I am!?"-Sheryl over RANKA anyday. Btw I loved that scene where Sheryl kissed Alto and Ranka saw it, I hope that happens again and again because atm Ranka didn't do anything to save her friends. Look at Nanase, whom is now known as Pirate-eyed Nanase and Micheal is floating in space racing Lockon's corpse....
Not saving Nanase isn't really Ranka's fault, is it? They were seperated by a wall of fire. Unless being Queen of the Vajra also somehow makes you fireproof, there's not much she could do. She _was_ going to stick around stunned (and useless) until Alto dragged her off.

That scene speaks well of Sheryl (that she is willing to drag Nanase to a shelter, dress her wounds, and even shield her body when Nanase has treated her with nothing but hostility since day one), but not really a strike against Ranka either.

Quote:
and what was Ranka concerned about? "Oh em gee... Alto is holding my hand... even though I know it's to lead me out of danger I'm gonna take it as a sign of his love and... oh wait... onii-chan!?"
I think that was a rare bit of introspection there for Ranka into what her real feelings for Alto are.
Old 2008-08-25, 04:30   Link #1362
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
Sheryl told Ranka "It seemed like he doesn't want to talk about it...So I STOPPED TEASING him."
I think you might want to recheck that line. Sheryl tells Ranka that "He doesn't seem to want to talk about it, so I didn't press him about it."

In other words, she didn't ask Alto about the details because he didn't seem like he wanted to go into it. It has nothing to do with teasing.

Quote:
Something else I just have to know. How come Sheryl can worry about Alto, act like "a baby" in the previous episode, display jealousy and feelings of inferiority when it comes to Ranka...Yet Ranka is the "Orihime" of Macross?
If you were referring to stray's post over on Shirukii's blog, he was calling you the "Orihime of the Macross fandom". It was meant to be a cute jab, but he didn't define that noun phrase as clearly as he would have liked.
Old 2008-08-25, 08:18   Link #1363
Marina Ismail
<3 Sheryl Saotome
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Not saving Nanase isn't really Ranka's fault, is it? They were seperated by a wall of fire. Unless being Queen of the Vajra also somehow makes you fireproof, there's not much she could do. She _was_ going to stick around stunned (and useless) until Alto dragged her off.

That scene speaks well of Sheryl (that she is willing to drag Nanase to a shelter, dress her wounds, and even shield her body when Nanase has treated her with nothing but hostility since day one), but not really a strike against Ranka either.

I think that was a rare bit of introspection there for Ranka into what her real feelings for Alto are.
I didn't hear Ranka scream out Nanase's name when the explosion happened, I heard Luca scream out her name and Alto scream out Sheryl's name. Nice friend she has there
Old 2008-08-25, 08:42   Link #1364
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
I think you might want to recheck that line. Sheryl tells Ranka that "He doesn't seem to want to talk about it, so I didn't press him about it."

In other words, she didn't ask Alto about the details because he didn't seem like he wanted to go into it. It has nothing to do with teasing.

p
Oh so that was you...So you say that to say what?

Dude I have my own mind. I agree with Shiriyuki however I have been thinking this for awhile. Everything Shiriyuki said...I have said myself.
Since Ichigo isn't in the Manga and Bleach fillers suck. I figured I'd play with you guys...
Quote:
"He doesn't seem to want to talk about it, so I didn't press him about it."
That's the same thing, different words. There is more than one way to say something in English. Another thing ...can you understand raws? How come you think your subbed episode is the correct one and mine is a "Mistake in Translation"?

If what you say is true...then that makes it worse and Sheryl is just a liar. Because she doesn't press him about it, she has never asked him about it. Only mocked him. So you just helped prove that she said that out of spite or she is just a spiteful liar.You also help to prove she is insensitive. If we are to go by the above quote for her to say she knows it bothers him and he doesn't want to talk about, then make a tranny joke. Is a prime example of how shallow her character is.

Just so you know...You didn't help to make her look any better.

Ranka is nothing like Orihime...I am tired of hearing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, I noticed that look on Altos face, too. Itīs why I think Sheryl has it in the bag, unless they let her die of her infection.
Woah...one expression and you think that. Are you going to ignore everything else that has happened. Alto uttered kind words..that does not make a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
What's the point of writing such a long post if you don't want people to take it seriously? Too much free time? .
Um...Can you read? I said if you aren't going to take it seriously I won't write one. That post was short...(um responding to me, makes it look like you have nothing better to do yourself. Don't bother with the "NO LIFE " jokes, we are in the same boat so it will just roll right off of me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
And I would think that knowing Kawamori would help figure out the direction he's going in. It seems to me that certain directors tend to follow certain trends in their series. Taniguchi (Code Geass) being one, Kawamori being another. So in a case of where 2 people claim to know the direction of an anime but only 1 of the 2 people know the directors habits and trends, I'd trust the one with knowledge of the director. That has a higher chance of being accurate.
Again speak for yourself. I don't have that problem. Director or creator? Just because you have to rely on that. Does not mean that I do. The story is told through the characters. I pay attention to the characters and their behavior. <--how many times must I say that?!

Stop assuming that everyone needs to know his habits, because you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indr0008 View Post
K, u forget one thing, if she did that on evil purposes like you said, then where's the evil grin? dun say 'she hide that', cuz she had never done that for 20 episodes,
Um...this makes no sense whatsoever... *I need a translator...can someone help me out here?*
Quote:
and about the jealousy, the teasing....that's what women do, and she IS a woman

oh dun forget the word 'after all' in that picture you've shown us
Yes; I did say that. What's your point? How does it say I am wrong? *waits for answer*

Last edited by BleachOD; 2008-08-25 at 09:01.
Old 2008-08-25, 09:09   Link #1365
Westlo
Lets be reality

Ah the old, "My side is copping heat right now, lets bring up something from the past" tactic, cept it won't work, even with this!

Old 2008-08-25, 09:29   Link #1366
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
even without knowing the habit of teh director, any sane person would know that any sane director would need to have more than 5 episodes to fully develop Ranka to able to stand in the same level as mah sheryl <3
Old 2008-08-25, 09:35   Link #1367
indr0008
Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Ah the old, "My side is copping heat right now, lets bring up something from the past" tactic, cept it won't work, even with this!

Spoiler for ?:
umm westlo, what the hell is that?
Old 2008-08-25, 09:35   Link #1368
Wesley84

Quote:
even without knowing the habit of teh director, any sane person would know that any sane director would need to have more than 5 episodes to fully develop Ranka to able to stand in the same level as mah sheryl <3
It'd only take one.
Old 2008-08-25, 09:36   Link #1369
indr0008
Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
It'd only take one.
and it would be a mega awkward one
Old 2008-08-25, 09:41   Link #1370
magnuskn

Quote:
Dude I have my own mind. I agree with Shiriyuki however I have been thinking this for awhile. Everything Shiriyuki said...I have said myself.
Since Ichigo isn't in the Manga and Bleach fillers suck. I figured I'd play with you guys...

That's the same thing, different words. There is more than one way to say something in English. Another thing ...can you understand raws? How come you think your subbed episode is the correct one and mine is a "Mistake in Translation"?

If what you say is true...then that makes it worse and Sheryl is just a liar. Because she doesn't press him about it, she has never asked him about it. Only mocked him. So you just helped prove that she said that out of spite or she is just a spiteful liar.You also help to prove she is insensitive. If we are to go by the above quote for her to say she knows it bothers him and he doesn't want to talk about, then make a tranny joke. Is a prime example of how shallow her character is.
I...uh... okay, Swampstorm, that was directed at you, Iīm in a bit of a hurry here and donīt have the time. But, seriously, what? What? <speechless> I donīt get OD logic, I really donīt.

Quote:
Woah...one expression and you think that. Are you going to ignore everything else that has happened. Alto uttered kind words..that does not make a couple
Yes, of course. I just came to this fandom, saw this one scene and then immediately assumed that Sheryl X Alto is the best thing EVAH!

Itīs not as if Iīve seen this series since the beginning and have been participating in discussions here for some months. Certainly, I havenīt done any analysis of the two relationship dynamics and havenīt concluded that over the last episodes Alto has been more and more moving away from Ranka ( in a romantic sense ) and more and more towards Sheryl, culminating in this scene ( for the moment... ).

Oh, no, no. One look, thatīs all I need! <sarcasm>
Old 2008-08-25, 09:44   Link #1371
indr0008
Physicist

one expression, the right atmosphere, the right words, the right setup, and everyone knows taht they're couple, that's how the thing works buddy
Old 2008-08-25, 09:46   Link #1372
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
umm westlo, what the hell is that?
It's a tool to help people reach.
Old 2008-08-25, 09:48   Link #1373
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Oh so that was you...So you say that to say what?
Er... no. stray is stray. But if you didn't catch the joke, don't worry about it.

Quote:
Were you talking about Shirukii, or is this someone else? What's with the boldface typesetting?

Quote:
They're not the same thing. There's a difference between teasing someone about something and asking them about it.

You seem to be using Shinsen's translation of that line. But compare that with the following:
Lunar: "He doesn't seem to want to talk about it, so I didn't press it."
GG: " I didn't bother him about because it sounded like a touchy issue."
Menclave: "At the time, it looked like he didn't want to talk about it, so I never pressed the matter..."

While my own knowledge of Japanese is limited, I'm fortunate enough to have the help of those who are fluent.

Quote:
Those are simply your personal judgements about her character. What's there to refute in an assertion?

You seem a bit confused, though. Sheryl wasn't talking about asking Alto about his experiences with kabuki; rather, she was talking about asking Alto about his falling out with his father. She isn't teasing Alto about that.

Quote:
Just so you know...You didn't help to make her look any better.
That's the secret: I don't have to do anything to make Sheryl look good; she does a pretty damn good job of it herself. As of episode twenty, the viewers can feel nothing short of proud of her.

Quote:
Ranka is nothing like Orihime...I am tired of hearing that.
Hmm... you're right. Orihime isn't all that bad.

I think you may need to give an update on how the current episodes fit in with your views. Episode ten was quite a while ago.
Old 2008-08-25, 09:48   Link #1374
Wesley84

Quote:
and it would be a mega awkward one
No, you're right. It'd be impossible to destroy Sheryl in the eyes of her fanatics. There's nothing she can do wrong.
Old 2008-08-25, 09:54   Link #1375
indr0008
Physicist

Quote:
Um...this makes no sense whatsoever... *I need a translator...can someone help me out here?*
>< was i really that unclear?
my point was that you provided us with vague proves that she was doing things for pure devilish intentions, it was merely your POV, if some1 IS evil, then at least once in awhile that person will make an evil facial expression, something close to grace's of episode 18
Old 2008-08-25, 09:55   Link #1376
indr0008
Physicist

Quote:
No, you're right. It'd be impossible to destroy Sheryl in the eyes of her fanatics. There's nothing she can do wrong.
nah, she did lots of wrong things at the early episodes of MF, even i was a ranka shipper, but after those 20 episodes, who wouldnt fall in love with sheryl?
Old 2008-08-25, 10:00   Link #1377
Westlo
Lets be reality

And quite a few blogs that have been mostly neutral if not slightly in favor of Ranka at the start are now Sheryl fans, THAT anime and Star Crossed Blog being 2 of them.
Old 2008-08-25, 10:01   Link #1378
indr0008
Physicist

yeah, star crossed was once in favor of RANKA
Old 2008-08-25, 10:06   Link #1379
Wesley84

Quote:
nah, she did lots of wrong things at the early episodes of MF, even i was a ranka shipper, but after those 20 episodes, who wouldnt fall in love with sheryl?
Uh huh. Right. Sheryl's as full of shit as she was at the start of the series. She hasn't changed at all and that's not a good thing.
Old 2008-08-25, 10:24   Link #1380
indr0008
Physicist

Quote:
Uh huh. Right. Sheryl's as full of shit as she was at the start of the series. She hasn't changed at all and that's not a good thing.
me no blind, she is not Shinn Asuka (different gender, i know, but too sleepy to think of any1 else)
Closed Thread

Tags
characters