AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 06
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 21 15.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 28 20.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 42 30.43%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 17.39%
6 out of 10 : Average... 13 9.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 4 2.90%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.17%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-11, 14:23   Link #21
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
Personally, I think the scene with Laughing Coffin was played out a too fast. I just sort of blinked, and then they left already. How could they keep the part where Kirito patted a horse's backside but couldn't come up with better pacing for people that matter?

Also, could anyone tell me the next episode's name?
Spoiler for Next episode title:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 14:48   Link #22
Hmm....

Hmmmmmmmm................................My impression after finish the episode is soooo what is the point of this 2 episodes arc. I just can't understand the studio's decision. Why do they need to spend 2 episode on this sidestory ? What do we or rather anime viewers get, story/character development-wise, from the last 2 episodes ? Perhap someone can enlight me.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 15:12   Link #23
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
Hmmmmmmmm................................My impression after finish the episode is soooo what is the point of this 2 episodes arc. I just can't understand the studio's decision. Why do they need to spend 2 episode on this sidestory ? What do we or rather anime viewers get, story/character development-wise, from the last 2 episodes ? Perhap someone can enlight me.
well I just guess that it was just to let people watch the development between Asuna and Kirito and people tend to like the novel part being animated than an original script....
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 15:16   Link #24
Clarste
Human

We met the female lead. What could be more important than that?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 15:17   Link #25
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Great episode.
The mystery was all wrapped up, even though it took a slightly different route from the novel, it was nicely done.

Next week will be "Warmth of the Heart", which along with "The Black Swordsman" is one of my favorite chapters
Old 2012-08-11, 15:19   Link #26
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Could have done without this story arc to be honest. -yawn-
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 15:44   Link #27
relentlessflame

*Administrator

At the end of the day, at least as anime-only viewers, I think that you can't really judge the importance of any given episode until you understand the whole story shown in the anime. Then you can fully understand how the pieces fit together and judge how you think the anime spent its time. From our perspective right now, we shouldn't rush to conclusions.

And I think that light novel readers need to be careful what they say about what the overall plot of the story is. Not shown in the anime yet = can't be discussed here.

(By the way, on the topic of Crunchyroll, they did post an update that basically corroborated what I said before about MBS. They said "Due to the Olympics and resulting broadcast schedule in Japan, episode 6 will be streamed on 8/18. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience." The station that delayed is MBS, so that suggests they're bound by contract to not show the episode before MBS does.)
Old 2012-08-11, 15:52   Link #28
Clarste
Human

Important themes to take away from this arc/episode:
  • The value of living life in the game vs. trying to escape it
  • Are the rules of the game "fair"? So far the answer is yes.
  • Life in the game as a means of personal growth. IE: Griselda
  • Establishing the kind of relationship that Kirito and Asuna have outside of life threatening scenarios.

Maybe there are others, maybe not, but I don't think it's a complete waste of time.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 16:10   Link #29
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
And I think that light novel readers need to be careful what they say about what the overall plot of the story is. Not shown in the anime yet = can't be discussed here.
Sorry about that. All in all I want to hear what anime viewer feel about the last two episodes.
Episode 4 may feel very fillerish but it at least introduce new character Silica.
I don't think the return of Asuna alone justified 2 episodes even from my anime viewer perspective (but I may perhap bias). Making episode 2 or 3 into 2 parter is better time spent IMHO.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 17:04   Link #30
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Another episode that further makes me wish the author was designing MMOs, rather than writing about them.

Glad to see the explanation for the 'deaths' made sense. Good to see the normally level-headed Kirito do something pointless. I mean, if you can't hurt/kill people in town, what was he hoping to accomplish throwing his spikes in the beginning?

If this episode is like the previous five, in helping to establish ground rules so that the meat of the story doesn't have to waste time on exposition, then I guess it's a fair certainty that Kirito is going to get married at some point, and one would have to assume it'll be to Asuna.

Well, if this is really going 24 episodes, I guess it's fine that they're taking their time to lay the foundation via mini arcs. It's kind of crazy that I'm just now realizing how long it's been since I've actually watched a 24 episode anime straight, without the whole skipping a season or some other bs. The over-abundance of 12-13 episode anime has caused me to expect things to move faster, something I guess I need to reign in for this show. I'm glad they're doing it they way the are, or they'red likely be pointless filler later down the road.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-08-11 at 17:18.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 17:12   Link #31
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

First thing first, please tell me it was my sub that was just trolling me:
Images
Kirito answer on who the murderer is
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Was a good episode, better than last week. The reason for killing was unexpected and the way how those two players faked their death by stabbing themselves to destroy their armor was a great idea.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 17:16   Link #32
HandofFate

well that was kind of a boring conclusion....
the entire reason for the killing of the wife/ring plot was bland as hell.

The Laughing Coffin showing up was cool, no action happened though.
Kirito's explanation was pretty entertaining though.

Best part of the whole arc, was just the regular Kirito x Asuna alone time, the actual mystery was pointless.

The end with the ghost actually appearing was confusing though, especially given the game design of what we know so far....why would she appear there like that...makes no sense from a game perspective.
Old 2012-08-11, 17:18   Link #33
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
Images

Was a good episode, better than last week. The reason for killing was unexpected and the way how those two players faked their death by stabbing themselves to destroy their armor was a great idea.
Or that's his introvert way of telling Asuna he wants to reciprocate her wanting to jump his bones.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 17:20   Link #34
Divini
Senpai!

That answer that Kirito gave Asuna in the end - I'm definitely going to use it if I ever get asked the same question.

Spoiler for thoughts as a LN reader:
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 17:46   Link #35
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
Images

Or you just got caught by that sub group leaders trolls, since I'm probably not allowed to talk about group with name because this is licensed.

Atleast it wasn't like that in novels ^^
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 18:01   Link #36
Awrya
U mad?

Well, it was okay, it felt a bit sudden how Kirito found out about item durability and considered the possibility of a murder guild involved.

It looked a bit too friendly how Schmidt and Caynz carried Grimlock, especially how he is responsible for their guild leader's death. At least drag him

The leader of the trio sounded a bit too rough, the poison guy really fit the image of a crazy killer, props to the voice actor. The leader also has what looks like a scar on his face, did he get it before or in the game?
Seriously, we go from the awesome looking weapon Yoruko is holding to some boring long sword the third guy threatens them with, wish they put a bit more effort in designing swords

Kirito raised a couple of flags this episode, but considering that there wasn't really any significant development between them for the last ~16 months, these were probably the first flags in the Asuna route.
Old 2012-08-11, 18:08   Link #37
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Or you just got caught by that sub group leaders trolls, since I'm probably not allowed to talk about group with name because this is licensed.

Atleast it wasn't like that in novels ^^
Well thats good news. It still made me chuckle if thats what they tried to achieve.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 18:09   Link #38
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Famous words from Kirito:

"I'm willing to bet my virginity".

Such a brave man to speak about such a thing to Asuna

Anyways, back on track with the episode. I kinda felt let down by the first half of this episode. Last episode was so tense and realistic with the trauma, the sadness, the motives and revenge and it was quite the interesting and enjoyable episode to watch. Then it's revealed that it was all a lie, no one actually died that episode and it was all figured out by Kirito dropping some food that was about to expire? I had hoped for something a little better

None the less, it managed to pick itself back up once a real PK guild made their entrance. The Laughing Coffins, quite the name, probably easy to remember too

I am really surprised however that Kirito let them live or escape. They showed no signs of changing their ways after being threatened and it was obvious they would continue. He's going to have the blood of other innocent players on his hand for doing that.

Alas, I liked the conversation Asuna had with Kirito about marriage and the storing space being shared. It was as if she was hinting something there, eh? Eh Asuna? Go ooonn!

Speaking of marriage, Grimlock and Griselda were married in real life eh? That was quite the reveal

Also, this episodes end card:

Images

Asuna!
Old 2012-08-11, 18:23   Link #39
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

That was a rather good adaptation. Could have been dragged for longer, but I feel that the plot was covered enough this way. They need to get to the main story anyways.
Still, we got some interesting expositions to the mechanics of the game throughout the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
<...>
None the less, it managed to pick itself back up once a real PK guild made their entrance. The Laughing Coffins, quite the name, probably easy to remember too

I am really surprised however that Kirito let them live or escape. They showed no signs of changing their ways after being threatened and it was obvious they would continue. He's going to have the blood of other innocent players on his hand for doing that.
<...>[
The question here is: who let who escape?
The Laughing Coffins are on a whole different level than the small fry Kirito faced in episode 4. Even a frontliner like Schmidt automatically recognised them.
And even if Kirito was able to take on all three of them (with Yoruko and Cainz being middle level players, and Schmidt being paralyzed on the ground) it’s doubtful that they’d let themselves get caught. Does Kirito have the guts to kill a player?
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 18:31   Link #40
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
Sorry about that. All in all I want to hear what anime viewer feel about the last two episodes.
Episode 4 may feel very fillerish but it at least introduce new character Silica.
I don't think the return of Asuna alone justified 2 episodes even from my anime viewer perspective (but I may perhap bias). Making episode 2 or 3 into 2 parter is better time spent IMHO.
anime only viewer, and i mostly agree with this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Important themes to take away from this arc/episode:
  • The value of living life in the game vs. trying to escape it
  • Are the rules of the game "fair"? So far the answer is yes.
  • Life in the game as a means of personal growth. IE: Griselda
  • Establishing the kind of relationship that Kirito and Asuna have outside of life threatening scenarios.

Maybe there are others, maybe not, but I don't think it's a complete waste of time.
plus, i would add, more infos about the game mechanics

it's still a build up, and personally i wouldn't mind at all if it continued like this till the end
the pace just slowed down from the previous episodes (where some people were whining about it being too fast), hope the next ones will come back fast as before

also this was quite a talky episode, lots of talking and explanations, which may not be satisfying if someone is watching it mostly for the action
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote