AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-03-22, 22:17   Link #201
fizzmaister
The Tall One

I think a good chunk of the reason I don't hate moon moon is because everyone says how bad it is, so I was expecting terrible things. Also, there are so many rationalizations floating around, that it almost makes sense. Pretty much, it wasn't as bad as I expected, and I already knew some explanations before I watched it.

Space hippies decide to close themselves off from the rest of the Earth-sphere with disastrous results. Accident happens in very early UC, since the EF is just the UN, but even more corrupt, they don't do anything. Or Zeon gasses the colony, but not enough to kill them, only to cause brain damage. I like all of those proposals.
Old 2011-03-22, 22:54   Link #202
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

The last proposal makes perfect sense.
Old 2011-05-06, 09:18   Link #203
TheOre-Sama

Personally? Much prefer ZZ to Zeta.

Spoilers below.

Zeta was awful. I mean to start, let's look at our main heroes, like Kamile, the psychopathic man child. If you watch Linkara and heard his Super Boy Prime voice, I think Kamile fits that voice well. His reactions are always either absurd or over the top. There's an art to writing an emotionally unstable character without it becoming narm. Kamile fails. Then we have the Artist Formally Known as Char, who we're just meant to be in awe of apparently, but, he does nothing for me. He's good now. Yay? Wasn't the biggest fan of him in Mobile Suit Gundam but I'll take him over this version of him, who seems to exist solely to be reveled in. Then there's Scirocco who turns the vast majority of females into his own personal harem. That's his power, he can con women. He's another one we're just meant to kind of be in awe of because there's nothing to his character. There's little to any of these characters.

People seem to think this series is awesome for it's dark tone, but honestly, coming from someone who enjoys darkness in their stories, it's a crutch here. There are a small number of characters with any sort of depth to them, and really, those characters can be seen in the sequel anyway. The series so revels in it's tragedy and darkness that there's no reason to attach to any of these characters, because they are WORTHLESS without a heavy dose of angst. Kamile, Four, Rosamia, The Artisit Formerly Known as Char, etc. can't be even slightly interesting unless they're having a Diablos ex machina strapped to them like a face hugger.

Last but not least, let's talk about the battles. The battles in Zeta are pathetic. There's no real creativity to any of them, and since the story and characters are so shallow, there's not much emotion to any of them either.

ZZ is a huge improvement. I honestly do not mind the lighter tone early on, and some of the comedy is great, particuarly with Mashmryne. He's so hammy and over the top, and unlike in Zeta, we're meant to revel in his ham. His first fight with Judau is particuarly priceless. It also allows the characters to develop a bit before things go to hell for them. We actually have CHARACTERS now, thus making their moments of angst mean something. ZZ also has some creative fight choreography, giving us battles worth watching. The final fight between Judau and Haman in particular is awesome.

Speaking of Haman, she and Bright Noa were the ONLY good characters in Zeta, and they've transfered over fine. Haman makes a great villain in ZZ. People here have commented she focuses too much on Judau-not really. She focused FAR more on Char in Zeta. Even when battling Kamile she doesn't shut up about Char. Least in ZZ she DOES do things other then talk about Judau. We don't need to have the all the characters talking about "ZOMG, KAMILE IS AWESOME" or "ZOMG, KAMILE IS SUCH A REBEL!" like in Zeta. Make a drinking game for Zeta-take a shot for every extraneous comment on how "ZOMG AWESOME" Kamile is. You'll be dead halfway through the series(if you even make it that far), and sadly we do get a bit of that in ZZ(where he suddenly becomes some kind of God o_0)

Let's compare the Puru's to Four and Rosamia. Like stated earlier, the latter two are worthless without wangst. Their characters are so shallowly written that you can't do anything with them other then make them suffer. The Puru's actually get to have times where they're happy, making them much more fleshed out as characters, while still getting plenty of angst, which once again, makes their angst MEAN something. Zeta is much like Evangelion wherein it only pretends to be deep and meaningful when it has less depth then a baby pool. Yet people have called Zeta a masterpiece of Science Fiction.

*gags at typing that last sentence*

I wouldn't even call ZZ a masterpiece of science fiction!
TheOre-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 20:37   Link #204
Elo the Blue

To me, Haman was a mediocre villain in ZZ. I felt Rakan and even Gottn were more worthy of contempt. And what great villain commits suicide to go out? Weak...
Old 2011-05-06, 21:31   Link #205
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

In some cases, it's simply crazy desperation like Hitler or, in the case of several Japanese WWII officers, a way of preserving your pride and honor rather than being brought down in shame and defeat at the hands of your enemy.

It could be a small mix of both. After everything that's happened, I really don't see Haman suddenly deciding to change her ways due to Kamille's and/or Judau's words alone, but she sure as hell wouldn't let herself be taken into the AEUG's (and in turn, the Federation's) custody either given she'd more than likely be executed.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 19:41   Link #206
Amuroray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOre-Sama View Post
Personally? Much prefer ZZ to Zeta.

Spoilers below.

Zeta was awful. I mean to start, let's look at our main heroes, like Kamile, the psychopathic man child. If you watch Linkara and heard his Super Boy Prime voice, I think Kamile fits that voice well. His reactions are always either absurd or over the top. There's an art to writing an emotionally unstable character without it becoming narm. Kamile fails. Then we have the Artist Formally Known as Char, who we're just meant to be in awe of apparently, but, he does nothing for me. He's good now. Yay? Wasn't the biggest fan of him in Mobile Suit Gundam but I'll take him over this version of him, who seems to exist solely to be reveled in. Then there's Scirocco who turns the vast majority of females into his own personal harem. That's his power, he can con women. He's another one we're just meant to kind of be in awe of because there's nothing to his character. There's little to any of these characters.

People seem to think this series is awesome for it's dark tone, but honestly, coming from someone who enjoys darkness in their stories, it's a crutch here. There are a small number of characters with any sort of depth to them, and really, those characters can be seen in the sequel anyway. The series so revels in it's tragedy and darkness that there's no reason to attach to any of these characters, because they are WORTHLESS without a heavy dose of angst. Kamile, Four, Rosamia, The Artisit Formerly Known as Char, etc. can't be even slightly interesting unless they're having a Diablos ex machina strapped to them like a face hugger.

Last but not least, let's talk about the battles. The battles in Zeta are pathetic. There's no real creativity to any of them, and since the story and characters are so shallow, there's not much emotion to any of them either.

ZZ is a huge improvement. I honestly do not mind the lighter tone early on, and some of the comedy is great, particuarly with Mashmryne. He's so hammy and over the top, and unlike in Zeta, we're meant to revel in his ham. His first fight with Judau is particuarly priceless. It also allows the characters to develop a bit before things go to hell for them. We actually have CHARACTERS now, thus making their moments of angst mean something. ZZ also has some creative fight choreography, giving us battles worth watching. The final fight between Judau and Haman in particular is awesome.

Speaking of Haman, she and Bright Noa were the ONLY good characters in Zeta, and they've transfered over fine. Haman makes a great villain in ZZ. People here have commented she focuses too much on Judau-not really. She focused FAR more on Char in Zeta. Even when battling Kamile she doesn't shut up about Char. Least in ZZ she DOES do things other then talk about Judau. We don't need to have the all the characters talking about "ZOMG, KAMILE IS AWESOME" or "ZOMG, KAMILE IS SUCH A REBEL!" like in Zeta. Make a drinking game for Zeta-take a shot for every extraneous comment on how "ZOMG AWESOME" Kamile is. You'll be dead halfway through the series(if you even make it that far), and sadly we do get a bit of that in ZZ(where he suddenly becomes some kind of God o_0)

Let's compare the Puru's to Four and Rosamia. Like stated earlier, the latter two are worthless without wangst. Their characters are so shallowly written that you can't do anything with them other then make them suffer. The Puru's actually get to have times where they're happy, making them much more fleshed out as characters, while still getting plenty of angst, which once again, makes their angst MEAN something. Zeta is much like Evangelion wherein it only pretends to be deep and meaningful when it has less depth then a baby pool. Yet people have called Zeta a masterpiece of Science Fiction.

*gags at typing that last sentence*

I wouldn't even call ZZ a masterpiece of science fiction!
LMAO.

Awful,awful post
Amuroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 00:13   Link #207
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuroray View Post
LMAO.

Awful,awful post
You can't blame a person who fails to contextualise his arguments to Gundam, preferring to make references to other anime series which he hadn't account for.

Bleh, this forum is going to get more exciting, thanks to this self-professed geniuses, who thinks that making comparisons make them look smart.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 12:41   Link #208
JC...
I am a Pie

I don't want to try and continue the argument, but at least he explained himself.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 18:31   Link #209
brightman
Ancient Member

Not sure what the reactions to that post is supposed to imply...

After all, he's not trolling, after all its a Gundam ZZ thread.

He said he's comparing Zeta to ZZ, and that's exactly what he did.

He backed up why he prefers ZZ to Zeta in a mostly objective manner.

He's not acting like a fanboy, since nowhere did he say ZZ was OMG the GREATEST GUNDAM EVA!!

So, essentially you guys are disagreeing with his opinions? If so, say so, and back up why you think that's the case.

Last edited by brightman; 2011-05-17 at 18:43.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 00:33   Link #210
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
So, essentially you guys are disagreeing with his opinions? If so, say so, and back up why you think that's the case.
My thoughts exactly, if you're going to disagree with someone's post and just resort to insults, that's not good.
Old 2011-05-18, 00:42   Link #211
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, the troublemaker in question is banned for the time being, so let's just move on, shall we?
Old 2011-06-07, 07:44   Link #212
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I just watched the first 9 episodes and all I have to say is...

Spoiler for space:
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 12:13   Link #213
Elo the Blue

It's pretty catchy.
Old 2011-06-19, 12:27   Link #214
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The worst Gundam series is probably an accurate description. This was the sixth series I watched and it was just horrifying at the start. It’s not that it has comedy. It’s that the comedy bastardises the characters, affects the plot far too much and entirely centres on characters acting buffoonish and moronic. It’s basically unintelligent and simple comedy that only a pre-teen could possibly like. I don’t even want to talk about the Moon Moon episodes.

Yes it does get better in second half but although it had moments that were almost as good as Zeta (like Judau’s sister getting “killed”) there’s not much in there than I can say makes the entire series worth watching. The only thing I really got out of this series is plot advancement: namely Haman Karn gets killed and the Zabi family is finally taken out of the picture. Honestly if someone told me they were about to watch Double Zeta, I’d just tell them that’s what happens in the end and then tell them to move on to Char’s counterattack.

Oh and by the way, I really am pissed that Haman Karn, an absolutely awesome villain that I really liked gets her feathers ruffled and finally killed by such a pathetically average character like Judau. It would’ve been far better if Char had managed to kill her at the end of Zeta and something like the Africa arc was made into a separate side story OVA or something (and if Tomino got the green light for Char’s Counterattack beforehand). Then there wouldn’t have been any need to make Double Zeta at all. I also didn’t like the ambiguous nature of Mineva’s fate. I hope she turned out alright. I really liked that cute little girl.

Overall: 5/10
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 14:10   Link #215
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Most likely to show Judau as one of, if not THE most powerful Newtype in UC (in sheer Newtype power at least).

Spoiler for spoiler:
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 14:37   Link #216
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I also didn’t like the ambiguous nature of Mineva’s fate. I hope she turned out alright. I really liked that cute little girl.
You're going to like Unicorn.
Old 2011-06-19, 20:01   Link #217
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Oh and by the way, I really am pissed that Haman Karn, an absolutely awesome villain that I really liked gets her feathers ruffled and finally killed by such a pathetically average character like Judau.
Haman took her own life. Considering all that happened before that, that makes her more pathetic than Judau to me.
Old 2022-07-05, 01:57   Link #218
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Oh wow, someone actually found the long lost Animax English dubbing for Gundam ZZ.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's an elusive Dub that nobody probably has no rights to it anymore.

Btw, Crunchy has Gundam ZZ now even though they don't have the above Dub version.
Old 2022-07-08, 12:06   Link #219
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I have to wonder what happened to the poor lass who stood in for Mineva.

Also, Haman's potential was wasted in ZZ, she was actually frightening in Zeta.

Quote:
Oh and by the way, I really am pissed that Haman Karn, an absolutely awesome villain that I really liked gets her feathers ruffled and finally killed by such a pathetically average character like Judau
Judau wasn't that interesting. Although it should be noted, he is probably the only pilot who ever came close to perfecting Newtype powers... if one can still call it 'Newtype' at that point...

Then again, that's probably why he does not appear in subsequent Gundam (animated) series in the UC timeline

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote