AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-10-03, 23:08   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, since the Raven Consort is surely forbidden from having relations with men and she’s also a member of the royal family the Emperor’s gramps supposedly wiped out, it seems pretty forbidden to me.

The R.C. acting basically like a modern anime teenager in cosplay was a bit off-putting. Hopefully they tone that shit down.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-04, 05:16   Link #22
Tenzen12

Not necessarily. It wasn't unusual for childless consorts to be inherited by new Emperor and its very likely that crow consorts always ended like this considering there was always one across last hundred years or so.

I think it's safe to assume she's technically new Emperors consort already. Nothing forbidden here.
Old 2022-10-04, 05:33   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Not necessarily. It wasn't unusual for childless consorts to be inherited by new Emperor and its very likely that crow consorts always ended like this considering there was always one across last hundred years or so.

I think it's safe to assume she's technically new Emperors consort already. Nothing forbidden here.
But they made a point in the premiere of saying that this consort is not a sexual partner for the emperor.
Old 2022-10-04, 13:20   Link #24
Tenzen12

That make it even less forbidden, doesn't it?
Old 2022-10-04, 16:28   Link #25
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
But they made a point in the premiere of saying that this consort is not a sexual partner for the emperor.
I took that as she is neither obligated or expected to bear an heir to the current Emperor.

Doesn't mean she can't. But it also means her position has its own power, respect, security (as in she isn't likely to be expelled from the court or assassinated like other consorts can), with no expectation for 'night duties' as part of the court influence she wields.

It is a fairly common trope in stories of this genre.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-04, 16:42   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Given that she's effectively the equivalent if a shrine high priestess of great spiritual importance, I would be stunned if she's not required to be celibate as part of her duties.

But then, was there a mention of the post being hereditary? That would make the above rather difficult I suppose,

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2022-10-04 at 16:54.
Old 2022-10-04, 17:26   Link #27
Tenzen12

I don't think that's good comparison. Crow Consorts may have same amount of spiritual power, but they have no influence over people and gods.

That said it's not impossible, for those power being tied to her chastity, it's pretty common. Still it's only one of possible explanations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
I took that as she is neither obligated or expected to bear an heir to the current Emperor.

Doesn't mean she can't. But it also means her position has its own power, respect, security (as in she isn't likely to be expelled from the court or assassinated like other consorts can), with no expectation for 'night duties' as part of the court influence she wields.

It is a fairly common trope in stories of this genre.
Yeah I took it same way.
Old 2022-10-04, 17:53   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Given the reveal she shares the blood of the previous dynasty, it seems obvious to me the role of Raven consort is hereditary. It was also said she's a hundred years old, yet that was proven wrong in the first episode. No one knows the truth about the Raven Consort. It makes sense for the current Emperor not to know either since he was forced to live in isolation and probably wasn't told about the secrets of his family.
Old 2022-10-05, 09:48   Link #29
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
So I understand this is a fantasy Chinese setting, but both the novels and the anime are nonetheless going with a very specific time period & aesthetic. With that in mind, it is probably more likely she remained in the palace due to her lineage and not her position as a childless consort.

For if she was just a childless consort without ties to the previous dynasty, she would have been sent to a Buddhist monastery to become a nun upon death of the emperor unless otherwise decreed by the next emperor.

Quote:
for those power being tied to her chastity, it's pretty common
That is problematic, because she inherited that ability from her mother, IIRC.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-05, 11:56   Link #30
Tenzen12

Under premise Crow consorts don't serve Emperor, previous one wasn't her mother. That doesn't mean it's not inherited power, but if it is, it's perfectly possible her mother loosing it after getting married. Then she was taken into oalace and raised as successor.

As for treatment of consort, it's supposedly heian period do it could go either way.
Old 2022-10-05, 12:11   Link #31
Tak

Quote:
As for treatment of consort, it's supposedly heian period do it could go either way.
No, this is not Heian Jidai Japan. This is quite specifically modelled after Tang Dynasty China, in particular modelled after the period when Empress Wu reigned. Except in this case, the crown-prince actually grew a spine.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2022-10-05, 17:26   Link #32
Tenzen12

I don't thing Empress dowager is supposed be modeled after Wu. Nonetheless if we talk about Tang and Wu, there were inheritance of concubines going on during that period. Wu Zetian was one of them herself after all.
Old 2022-10-06, 10:23   Link #33
Alchemist007
*Author

Think I've only seen a single K-drama that was about a feudal court, this one seems interesting.
Old 2022-10-06, 23:07   Link #34
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Think I've only seen a single K-drama that was about a feudal court, this one seems interesting.
In my opinion, this genre started with(後宮小説/雲のように風のように(Like the Clouds, Like the Wind)). This novel won the first annual Japanese Fantasy Novel award. So, the "back palace" is a king's and his wives' residence. The terminology has been used in ancient east Asia, supposedly The keyword of manga section usually returns manga with factors of shoujo and josei. It means that the genre draws reference to Genji Monogatari.

The detective element:
20 years ago, there was a hit movie in Japan called Onmyoji: The Yin Yang Master. The story revolves around two historical characters. They are depicted as Sherlock Holmes and Watson. They have chat over teatime and visit the place of incidents. The story takes place in Kyoto city.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-07, 11:53   Link #35
Tak

Quote:
I don't thing Empress dowager is supposed be modeled after Wu. Nonetheless if we talk about Tang and Wu, there were inheritance of concubines going on during that period. Wu Zetian was one of them herself after all.
Before Empress Wu gained her position, she was a 'concubine in training' who entered the palace in 637 AD. In 649 AD, the Taizong Emperor passed away, and she, like others who did not bear an heir to the Emperor, was sent to the monastery to become a nun.

It was in 651 AD when she was recalled by Taizong's heir, Gaozong, after a chance meeting.

Also I mentioned earlier this is modeled after the Tang because of all the terminology used, including official post names as well as how individuals are addressed. These all pertained to that one specific period. Then there is the obvious display of aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
It means that the genre draws reference to Genji Monogatari.
I always chuckle at the fact that the first novel in Japanese history is of the harem genre...

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2022-10-07 at 13:25.
Old 2022-10-07, 13:27   Link #36
Tenzen12

Exactly, Tang dynasty had inheritance of consorts going on and Wu was one if them. Good we are clear on that.
Old 2022-10-07, 13:32   Link #37
Tak

Quote:
Exacy Wu Zetian and some other consorts got inherited.
By 'inherited' it means they stayed in the palace to serve the next Emperor, which would have created a very awkward situation. Concubine Wu already left the palace in 649 AD, and was not meant to return at all.

She was just lucky she met the heir when the latter happened to visit the monastery she was in. Emperor Gaozong had to specifically decree for her to return to the palace in 651 AD. Many of her 'colleagues' on the other hand, remained in the monastery for the rest of their lives.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2022-10-07 at 13:46.
Old 2022-10-07, 14:38   Link #38
Tenzen12

Of course many of them did. There wasn't single way to deal with all consort. Some served next emperors, some became nuns and some became gravekerpers.
Old 2022-10-08, 14:27   Link #39
ryllharu

Episode 2:

The flashbacks done in Chinese Shadow Puppet style are very cool. They're playing with animation styles and I'm all for it.

The ED is also a beautiful song.

The series is shaping up to be one of my favorite so far this season. Shouxue/Jusetsu has interesting magic. It seems the flowers can be prepared in advance, but she can also summon them directly as needed, just slower. In her haste for answers though, Jiujiu was made Shouxue's lady-in-waiting, and she's unlikely to be rid of her as easily as she originally planned.

The mystery unfortunately wasn't much of one. Unsurprisingly the Empress Dowager was behind it all, her cruelty having no limit and her loyalists infest the entire palace still.

I like that this series is balancing the brutality of court dramas with fluffy romance drama elements.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-08, 14:52   Link #40
Tenzen12

Found conclusion bit weak tbh. Investigation of death Lady in waiting itself was fine, but that her fiance also accidentaly overheard grand ploy and everything concernig it got instantly resolved felt bit anti-climatic. I would find it better if Jusetsu actually patched it together from hints instead.

Still even if it was all terrible (which certainly is not), I couldn't drop it as I just can't get enough of archaic speach Jusetsu is using.

Tags
historical