- Tak
YES! We want her back!

Bring back the new anime song boom era!
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-12, 03:10   Link #22
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Some people shit on Kawamori when things go wrong (like in Delta) but I'd say most of the time shit happens because the sponsors don't let him do things his way.
Well, his track record on other recent series hs been very, very spotty. Macross Frontier was an exception, although from what I've heard over the years, he was boxed in by having at least one co-director/writer, so that may have unintentionally saved the series. Let's just say that I am incredibly cautious in regards to his writing nowadays.
Old 2023-06-12, 10:47   Link #23
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Kawamori is comparable to George Lucas when it comes to scripts, except the former is suspected to be high while doing it.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-14, 01:36   Link #24
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Looks like we have a new Macross anime being produced (by Sunrise of all studios!).

No further details at the moment.
Cool.
Thank you for the heads up.
I--for one--look forward to it.
Old 2023-06-21, 16:09   Link #25
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, his track record on other recent series hs been very, very spotty. Macross Frontier was an exception, although from what I've heard over the years, he was boxed in by having at least one co-director/writer
Delta wasn't directed by Kawamori either. It was directed by Kenji Yasuda, with Kawamori credited as chief director which is more like a supervisor role. I don't think that makes much of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
so that may have unintentionally saved the series
I think Frontier was successful because the character interactions were written as a romcom. Sorta like what Aka did with Oshi no Ko, which is a revenge story on paper but has a lot of focus on love triangle with Kana and Akane and all the romcom shenanigans surrounding those two and Aqua. For whatever reason, that kind of thing seems to resonate with some audiences.
Old 2023-06-21, 17:17   Link #26
Key Board
Carbon

I don't know whose fault it was but are there generally 2 things people didn't like about Delta:

1. the antagonists
2. dead heroine

Also, the fact that they had to stick a Macross Frontier mini movie to the 2nd Delta movie is pretty damning
Maybe the new macross will just be another Frontier sequel

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-21, 19:13   Link #27
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

As I saw it the biggest problem Delta had was just way too many characters. Frontier was really able to focus on its core cast, Delta had to find time for Windmere, Walkure, Delta squadron, and the rest of the supporting cast. The entire cast felt underdeveloped and it didn't help the triangle was anemic. I really enjoyed Zettai Live!!! for what it was though... it was probably the best part of Delta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Maybe the new macross will just be another Frontier sequel
I would be 100% okay with this after Labyrinth of Time but don't want to get my hopes up. Its likely Ranka could still be involved in some way though.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-22, 00:34   Link #28
magnuskn

Yeaaaah, too many characters with a good focus on only two of them, those two not being the brightest bulbs in the room in the first place, the "love triangle" being a complete joke with the most interesting character of the three being completely neglected throughout the series, "sympathetic" space nazis who weren't... the list of problems with Delta is long, much longer than any list you could do about Frontier.

In any case, I don't expect the new series to be a sequel for Frontier, given that they normally just don't do sequels.

But on the miniscule chance that it is, I hope they continue the TV series, not the movies. Or at least do their typical continuity mish-mash so that we get elements from both (for me: TV!Sheryl, TV!Alto, Movie!Ranka, obviously Movie!Michael).
Old 2023-06-22, 05:31   Link #29
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

Also, the fact that they had to stick a Macross Frontier mini movie to the 2nd Delta movie is pretty damning

//
Why do you say that?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-29, 02:22   Link #30
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
Why do you say that?
To me that implies one of 2 things:

1. Delta brand isn't strong enough to stand on its own feet
2. team couldn't come up with enough story to fill the entire run time

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote