AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2020-12-23, 01:55   Link #10641
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Geh, at least give twist romantic end with non-main heroine
JUMP manga too, why not just go with crazy ending instead of "Our Fight is Korekara Da!" if you gonna get axed anyway

But any sane person obviously will question, is there anyone beyond 99? What about non-humans?
Clearly it can measure perfectly to +4 digits, why code in 2 digits display?
Isn't this object can be very useful in detecting demons pretending to be humans and such too?
The programmer is retarded
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 04:41   Link #10642
dragon1412

rather than the programmer is retarded, I understand the appeal, but most author should realized at this point that writing levels and skill numbers into the novels is the dead end anyway. It seem like the easy solution at first, but it limited the author writing into that specific system, I mean, the appraisal trope while make a very easy infodump without affect the narrative too much, it also take away entire assassin and stealth trope. It also effectively kill the market and MC interaction with unknown people. As all data is provided from the start.

Same goes for skill levels and status numbers, the appeal is there, but with how much novels using them. most author should realized at this point that if they want to write an awesome fight, these number are more of a deadweight and dragging it out rather than just none of those from the start.

Worse, it also fixed MC fighting style into using skills and repeats until mana bar drains off, 99% of the MC that use game system fall into this issues, it matter little whether MC is close range or long distance, mage or warrior, it all just skill,magic, etc... repeat until your mana drain offs, or MC has load of passives. Compare this to LN area and there is way less creative or unique fighting style like in Rokudenashi Akashic, where MC is a specific anti mage and using tools to cover his low magical abilitis, or we have Fate series, where mage magic is specific and mostly support and command for servants, if you want OP example, then Campione effectively require strategic use of their authority and what to use at which moments, consider how limited they are, etc.... In fact, most popular novels in Narou tend to be the type where status is limited in use or not present that much like Arifureta which managed to give MC an unique enough fighting style on his own

Frankly, which how saturated game like system present in Narou, I thought most author by now should already realized that status is more like a demerit rather than an easy way out to make MC OP or growth fast. But god know why most of them still write story based on that status system.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 04:41   Link #10643
sasuke706

^^In the story I referred to, they know non-human levels and while generally higher, really don't exceed human levels, with the general level cap being considered 50.
It's possible that due to their inexperience with coding they had to do it a certain way or it would come out as garbled text. It's really easy to latch onto the first thing that appears to work, but then find out much later down the line how much of a trash setup it actually is. Doesn't help that they just keep copying the code for the one they know 'works'. And that doesn't even account for simple typos or human error in the programming which sure as hell still happens in modern times, such as AI for enemies in a game being completely broken due to a single typo and the devs not caring enough to notice their AI wasn't working.

That said the actual issue lies in not creating a programing standard probably, and standardizing education with it. Letting random artisans just figure it out isn't the most ideal way to do things.

^Having an HP and MP gauge is almost always pointless because most series don't even try to pay attention how much mana something costs nor how it compares to how it gets used. Likewise with HP damage.
They just run low on HP or MP as the author wills it for drama. And then usually they pass out after the fight and have someone else clean up everything. Kinda really tired of that development.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 05:27   Link #10644
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
And that doesn't even account for simple typos or human error in the programming which sure as hell still happens in modern times, such as AI for enemies in a game being completely broken due to a single typo and the devs not caring enough to notice their AI wasn't working.
Are you referring to that one actual incident of where the alien would ignore the player because of the typo teether vs tether in the code?
Old 2020-12-23, 08:58   Link #10645
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^^Education hmm?
Would make good argument if in the aforementioned stories the measurements were done by plebeians
But no, they were royals and teachers of magic academy
I mean the parents have mana of 70+
It's not really weird at this point for someone to began asking "Yo, what if someone has more than 99 mana?"

Regarding numerical value, it's fine if like in DBZ with scouter, coz it's just approximate
Old 2020-12-23, 10:57   Link #10646
dragon1412

^DBZ scouter is hardly consider status though, leaving aside the whole approximate thing, DBZ value is generally consider vague to begin with, as it a whole rather than a specific trait, not to mentioned the whole breaking the scouter thing, making the fights hardly a battle of numbers

^^^MP and HP bars are obvious culprit, but I found the whole status degenerate the fantasy settings, as in, provided enough levels, there is hardly any diffrents between races, as in lvl 200 dragon has X strength, then human who somehow reach that level also have that X strength, the racial different and traits is pretty much pointless consider everyone running under the same value, It also drastically reduce the impact of facing a mythical creatures like dragon, turning the fight into an essentially a number game where I have bigger numbers than you. It also devalue a lot the effect of item and race that based their power on it like Dwarf.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-27, 16:55   Link #10647
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I just read Kanchigai no Atelier Master. It's fun and it makes me remember of Tatoeba Last Dungeon where MC possesses ridiculous feat and lots of misunderstandings
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-28, 22:23   Link #10648
Garn

クラスメイト達と共に樹海に転移しちまったが、ある理由で俺はハーレムを築かなければいけなくなっちまった らしい
Terrible the changes that the novel had, the author made the MC dumber and abnormally hetare, it doesn't even seem to be the same author
The MC has more restrictions along with an absurd and forced motive to create the harem, and has the passive of attracting the opposite sex
There is less action and the MC is less crazy in the battles, now there are multiple common bosses as they won't move from their place or chase the MC
The novel lost that feeling that it gave me that there was constant danger as in "Boku wa Isekai de Fuyo Mahou to Shoukan Mahou wo Tenbin ni Kakeru "

Before there was drama between the MC faction and the teacher faction. even the MC would kill one of the class in front of everyone and rp one that betrayed the MC
There was only one who had feelings for the MC and the others started out of special circumstances and to have protection
The MC always took a lot of damage in combat but never gave up
And for now, the first boss has not come out, the goblin king with thousands of subjects and also with skills, and I think it will no longer appear

This sucks, I don't know why I never downloaded the novel and now there's no way
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-31, 12:09   Link #10649
cabman11

Oh hey, I just saw the Kumo got updated on my bookmarks. Just thought I'll make a quick update
Old 2020-12-31, 23:17   Link #10650
Amelgar

Anyone ever find it weird that most reincarnation stories describe Earth as peaceful?
Amelgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-01, 00:08   Link #10651
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

^ It's because the average Japanese knows little to nothing about anything outside Japan.
Old 2021-01-01, 01:22   Link #10652
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^They know, but they don't feel anything about things happening thousand of miles away
So in the end it's of their own environment, which is very peaceful
Old 2021-01-01, 03:34   Link #10653
Amelgar

I mean sure first world countries are relatively peaceful. But they're hardly estranged from violence. If your both unlucky and stupid it's quite a possibility you could end up dead.
Amelgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-01, 09:00   Link #10654
Tenzen12

If you need both bad luck and being stupid to die then you live in super peacful place. No doubt about that.
Old 2021-01-01, 10:30   Link #10655
Garn

heiwaboke

On the other hand, it is already annoying to read how the authors put Zeus and similar gods as omnipotent and wise, when they are not.
Like in that ragnarok manga where zeus is the king of all, well, everything in that manga is twisted to the max
Zeus was tremendous scum, it's almost like putting Adolf as a protector of human equality
Old 2021-01-01, 19:25   Link #10656
Rasty

Zeus was definitely a perv, but except for that he wasn't really bad and you really should forgive a guy for having an affair every century or two. He even asked other gods for their opinions before wiping out humanity by flood, something the great love himself kind of didn't, or it at least hasn't been mentioned (though he had the handicap of having no-one to ask except for angels who might or might not be sentient).

I actually haven't read any stories with omnipotent gods as that doesn't really make for a story and I would expect someone with the amount of power any decent god possesses to be decently wise, or the humanity to be nonexistent 10 minutes after his birth.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-02, 05:10   Link #10657
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Finally a smart MC who knows the importance of joining a Guild
Old 2021-01-02, 11:20   Link #10658
Tenzen12

That sound like total waste. You could probably live from this much money without moving finger or just investing it into trade.
Old 2021-01-02, 14:04   Link #10659
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

^ You can only say that because you don't know the context of the situation. It's within a place where the outside world's laws and regulations can't touch and the only form of law enforcement is a bunch of vigilantes, so basically any crime can be committed as long as they aren't caught.

The fact that that money is from winning the lottery jackpot which is worth something like 5 million USD and who the lotto winner is gets publicized only increases the danger more.
Old 2021-01-02, 17:09   Link #10660
Garn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
Zeus was definitely a perv, but except for that he wasn't really bad
Do you really think that? (more info is needed)

Finally some novels restarted, for now

Tags
web novel