AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-30, 01:59   Link #1
ThatGuyOverThere

Looking for a gut wrenching anime

Hello all! New to these boards. Blah blah blah.

I was wondering if you guys and girls could help me with a small request.

I am looking for some SAD anime. I am looking for something really gutwrenching, something that will make me want to curl into a little ball on the floor and just cry.

Hope to hear your suggestions soon.

Cheers
Old 2003-12-30, 02:07   Link #2
NeverRamza

Saishuuheiki Kanojo - The number one depressing anime at the moment. Has stuff about war and such going on in the background but it's all really about the sad relationship between two of the characters.

Narutaru - This anime doesn't hold back on torturing the good characters. Watch beyond the first episode or two, which may trick you into thinking it's some sort of kiddy anime. It's definately not. This anime has a few EXTREMELY disturbing scenes.

Kanon - Relationship anime. Not too much of a downer but some of the episodes are sad. About a kid who moves into a town he lived in many years ago when he was really young. He meets some of the people he once knew and good old relationship drama goes on.

Berserk - Well known for being the badass anime about swordsman Gatsu but it's also a very unhappy show in a few key points. It gets very disturbing at times and the show isn't very nice to the main characters at times.

Berserk is out on U.S. DVD and I think (but I'm not sure) that Saishuuheiki Kanojo has been licensed.
Old 2003-12-30, 02:12   Link #3
ThatGuyOverThere

Yeah, I saw Narutaru and was not too impressed. More gory and disturbing than sad.

Thanx for the quick reply, I'll definately look into the others.
Old 2003-12-30, 04:21   Link #4
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Graveyard of the Fireflies, available at amazon.com.
Old 2003-12-30, 04:31   Link #5
sothis

ugh. sai kano is completely retarded. don't watch it unless you want something so ridiculously overdone, that you will laugh from how NOT depressing it is anymore. seriously. that show will shove so much death into your face, that eventually it stops being sad, and just becomes funny.

good tragic series:

Violinist of Hamelin

Hoshi no Koe

Now and Then, Here and There

X TV

Kenshin - Tsuikohen (this ova will be much more powerful if you watch some of the series first)

and i second the Berserk nomination.
Old 2003-12-30, 04:52   Link #6
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Yes i third Berserk. Not very common for an anime or anything that is based on violence to be that deep and gut wrenching sad.

Also i agree on some points about Saikano aka She the Ultimate Weapon. It is so overdone and they try to make it too sad. I found myself more pissed off at alot of the decisions these characters made than being sad for them. The one scene that got me however was
Spoiler:
I too have been in that situation that she was in besides the war stuff of course.

My favorite for just killing me was Grave of the Fireflies. God i cried like a baby watching this tragic but beautiful movie, another Studio Ghilbli masterpiece. Another i second is Hoshi no Koe aka Voice of a Distant Star. It's another futuristic love drama but much better done that Saikano in my opinion. It's only fault is the lack of time being that the ova is only about 40 minutes long. if that. X tv is good and yeah it was really sad in some episodes, a good one to watch and since it's 26eps, you got sadness to last you a while. Lastly i want to mention Samurai X the ova's to the Ruroni Kenshin tv series. This is another show that got me crying like a baby. All three has some really sad stuff in it. Though vol2 and vol3 are the ones that had the tear faucets running in full force.

I give Grave of the Fireflies though my saddest recommendation. Those who didn't cry or atleast all choked up, are idiots who have no emotion or are trying to macho and just end up looking like asses.
Old 2003-12-30, 05:26   Link #7
sothis

xiandu: make sure you delete that first post o' yours with the spoiler still intact ^_^;

yea, kenshin ovas, definitely good. but don't watch the second ova unless you've already seen anything kenshin you plan on watching, as itll ruin it all for you ^_^
Old 2003-12-30, 07:58   Link #8
HellRaver
Warrior Nation

X TV: For real I found it a really sad story but it was very good, nice action and really good storyline to boot.
Old 2003-12-30, 13:51   Link #9
Muraki
Dreamer

Graveyard of the Fireflies

Berserk ... bad ending :\ it leaves things unsatisfying.... though its a good story and all it made me go ughh...

I heard Sai Kano once drove a man to suicide... perhaps a little to dark...and it does shove it way to much, you might find yourself callous to it after a while. It's full title is Saishu Heiki Kanojo by the way...
Old 2003-12-30, 14:39   Link #10
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

grave of the firefly, saikano, kenshin ovas are good too, berserk didn't want to make me curl up and cry I don't think it's that kind of anime
Old 2003-12-30, 18:23   Link #11
MuGeN_BoY
<--- Lolita Complex

Saikano (aka Saishuu Heiki Kanojo)

And Fruits Basket should be on your must get if you want to have a tissue seesion...
Old 2003-12-30, 22:10   Link #12
guynextdoor
arcueid !! ^^

saikano is like the no.1 tragic anime out there i think
Old 2004-01-01, 17:41   Link #13
Sparda219
Inactive Member

Location: Ripping a hole in the crimson clouds with my torn wings.
Send a message via AIM to Sparda219
LEt's see:

The last few eps of Evangelion are really sad. (Poor Kaworu)

X is masterfully done with the requisite plot twists and betrayals.

Boogiepop Phanton is pretty disturbing and sad.

Yeah, Fruits Basket has one of the saddest story arcs.

Certain story arc endings in Naruto will leave you in tears. Like the Zabusa/Haku arc. (*SNIFF*)

Arc the Lad has some SERIOUS tissue moments.

That's all I can think of for now...
Old 2004-01-01, 22:29   Link #14
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Dunno if it chokesup anyone else really bad, but it works for me.
Old 2004-01-02, 23:18   Link #15
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Both Grave of the Fireflies and Dog of Flanders had me weeping like a child. Berserk is also a good and depressing one however for me it's the kind of sadness that I feel my heart aching but it's not to the point where I shed tears for it. The recent Twin Spica has its sad moment esp. ep 5 had me in tears. I also recommend Akachan to Boku.

Grifis
Old 2004-01-02, 23:43   Link #16
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Grave of the Fireflies
Old 2004-01-03, 00:04   Link #17
Onegai

Saikano and Kimi ga nozomu eien are the gut wrenchers for me.
Old 2004-01-03, 07:21   Link #18
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Nadia
Gunbuster
Evangelion
Old 2004-01-03, 07:21   Link #19
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Gunslinger Girls
Now and Then, Here and There
Strange Dawn
Saikano
Infinite Ryvius
Gundam 08th MS Team OVA
Barefoot Gen
Old 2004-01-04, 17:16   Link #20
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Not overly sad but Pupper Master Sakon [it goes by Ayatsuri Sakon on animesuki] it is kind sad how he always encounters these huge blood-filled accidents, and right after another too ^^"

Also later in the series
Spoiler:

Another sad anime is Scrapped Princess, again, not overly sad.
Closed Thread