AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 35 28.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 34.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 26.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-19, 20:41   Link #81
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'll say the triangle certainly got going well enough in this one. Guess something has to happen when you lock the three of them in a confined space for a while. I'll say that Altoh and Sheryl can certainly argue pretty well. "Damn kid!" "Shut up, you exhibitionist!" Even though I'm more on the Ranka side can see things building up between the two. Ranka with the damn best way to diffuse the situation. Got both of them laughing.

Still was some development towards Ranka as well. Aside from getting her past and how Ozma isn't related by blood. Maybe more of a peaceful bond able to form between the two. Wouldn't see them in a heated argument, but just some relaxed teasing and conversation. Her singing and just talking with her really helped to calm Altoh down. At the very least both girls got a blush out of him.

Now both Altoh and Ranka will make steps forward. Altoh as a SMS pilot and Ranka in the Miss Macross Frontier contest.
Old 2008-04-19, 23:28   Link #82
Aquifina

Well, I got to see the sub. Nice parallelism for the triangle; Alto used the same language as did Sheryl about wanting to control his own destiny. But when challenged to decide on what he fights for, while he continues to use the rhetoric of independence and determining his own destiny, it seems clear that Ranka is in fact a large part of why he fights. I don't think it's a coincidence that he runs into her right after the line from Michel comes into his head, and right before he joins SMS.

The exchange between him and Ranka was also interesting, although I feel that the dialog was one of those examples of how hard it is to translate ideas into different languages (I'm using AiA, which feels to me like a high-quality sub--I can't really judge, not knowing Japanese). I think I more or less got the gist of it, though. Most importantly, they seemed to understand each other on some basic level.

This was a good characterization episode, I though. We got to see Sheryl's admirable spunk, and Ranka and Alto trying to find their way in the world, and what they want to do with their lives. Despite the at-times annoying divaness, Sheryl really does seem so much more mature in some ways than Ranka and Alto; she knows exactly what she wants to do in her life, and obviously does it quite well. I also thought the legs of the triangle were laid out well, with Alto virtually parroting Sheryl's words on destiny (more important IMO than the cliched argument-scene, although that was a necessary flag by anime convention), and the scenes with Ranka.

I think my judgment's affected by my fondness for Ranka's character, but my gut still tells me that at the end of the day, Ranka and Alto will be the pairing. At this point, it's of course just informed speculation, but IMO, Alto might talk a tough game about wanting to stand on his own two feet, but in the end, like Ozma, I think he's fighting to protect Ranka. I'm *sure* Sheryl will also become important to him, but I think that establishing the former fact this early will in the end drive the final result of the pairing. Of course, the writers might completely disagree, which is why this is just informed speculation on my part.
Old 2008-04-20, 01:20   Link #83
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

If you've seen so much Orion why do you keep saying stuff like "Sheryl is too old" when you should know that has no real bearing. You also seem bewildered as to why Sheryl would be interested in Alto when if you've seen so much surely you would've come across similar situations?
Age has a bearing in a female anime protagonist. The R1 Witchblade extras touched on this. The GL controversy with Yoko also illustrated this.

Sheryl is a "mature" character which fits what she does. Sure she's 17 yo but if you didn't know that you really would put her in the 20's. Now since that target population is 13-15 yo males, females and otaku, Sheryl is pretty much getting close to the border here age and behaviour wise.

The bewilderment also stems from the fact that this cliched pattern (superstar falls for "loser") really shouldn't have been in this title since it's not a harem title. I still expect better from Macross.

Agreeing to disagree is what I'll do here because my opinion is not changing. So let's move on shall we.
-------

With that arguement with Alto, calling a female an exhibitionist is prob an insult in certain areas. Of course, I don't know if it holds true in Japan.

Does anyone find it interesting that Sheryl may have a tracker on her that she is unaware of? I wonder how far this will be explored since she attributes things to "luck" when it may not be just luck.
Old 2008-04-20, 03:09   Link #84
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire

I'm getting major bad vibes from this Leon fella.

Also, did it seem like he was kinda forcing Cathy or at least she seemed a bit hesitant because she tried to use her father as an excuse not to do it right there and then.
Old 2008-04-20, 06:28   Link #85
prototype_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Two thoughts:

-I find it weird that the shelter doesn't appear to have oxygen tanks of it's own.

-At the end at the funeral it appears that they quite possibly liquefy the dead and recycle it some how. Given that it's a closed biosphere it's no too surprising.
Man I surprised there was something to bury after he was practically squashed like a bug
Old 2008-04-20, 07:19   Link #86
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Jeez, the plot in this show is like Starship Troopers: Macross version. Quick training montage coming up!

Also, I'm not too comfortable with Ranka's memory loss thing. Seems to complicate everything for no good reason IMO. Alto on the other hand, needs to meet up with his family or something. It's like a long itch that needs to be scratched. Unless god forbid, something bad happens to his family before they make up.
Old 2008-04-20, 07:55   Link #87
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Sheryl is a "mature" character which fits what she does. Sure she's 17 yo but if you didn't know that you really would put her in the 20's. Now since that target population is 13-15 yo males, females and otaku, Sheryl is pretty much getting close to the border here age and behaviour wise.
Would you agree that Lacus Clyne and C.C are two of the most popular female leads this decade? (if not care to name who is more popular) Who's more similar to them in age (using C.C's appearance age not actual age) and maturity, Ranka or Sheryl? Game, set, match. Or are you going to say the target audience for Frontier is different from SEED and Geass

Quote:
The bewilderment also stems from the fact that this cliched pattern (superstar falls for "loser") really shouldn't have been in this title since it's not a harem title. I still expect better from Macross.
This happens a lot in Shoujo manga on both genders and the majority of them are nowhere near being a harem.... also Alto's status is only going to go up from this point and Sheryl hasn't fallen for him yet.
Old 2008-04-20, 08:35   Link #88
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Decent Ep, just as confused as everyone else about if the Red's are piloted or not.

The one thing I want to know about Michel is if he can really fly. His shooting skills are good right now (plus now we know for sure they have weapons that can penetrate the Red's armor), but he seems to have to anchor himself to take a shot. Once he starts sniping while dodging 20 missiles I'll call him an ace

As far as the triangle goes, I can see Ranka and Alto for the near future relationship but it'll fall apart after the inevitable death of Ozma. 1) Alto will want to keep fighting and Ranka won't. 2) their relationship is that of first love and is highly idealistic and naive, Alto would probably want someone that's more mature later.

Also wouldn't put Alto in the "loser" category. Actually he's probably famous, at very least he comes from a very famous family.

We definitely need some Alto family time once he starts training at SMS.
Old 2008-04-20, 10:27   Link #89
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I wouldn't call Alto a loser either. He's very good at what he does, and, as everyone remarks, he's very pretty. Probably popular, at least in the younger boys population, if Luca's any indication...

Sheryl's prima dona attitude put me off at first, but she did gain some points in this episode. Still, it may need a few more before I actually like her. Did she ever get to tell Alto why she'd seeked him out?

Ranka, OTOH, is just plain cute. Her childishness should be a turn off, but somehow it just makes her endearing.
Old 2008-04-20, 10:28   Link #90
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
For me I believe that the romance aspect of this series is hard to judge.

I Feel that it will more likely be Sheryl than Ranka though the margin in which that statement stands is fairly narrow.

It is actually an interesting point how I see Sheryl. Even though she is supposed to be in her teens, I think Orion is right in pointing out that her image is that of a 20+ year old. It may be the mature aura around her rather than her personality. You know, the stuck up-I am the best kind of personality which celebraties fall victim too (they are usually around that age, reaching mid life crisis).

But she does have an interest in Alto, and events will lead them to cross paths time and time again. I forsee that the earing business will soon show up to be another humorous encounter. Even if Sheryl could afford a new pair, she will be making her way out to "see" Alto.

Alto x Ranka is also a possibility but atm I see them more as friends. Possibly siblings where Alto is the onii chan. I am sure some future events will lead him into protecting her, maybe tht will spark off some love. But atm I just don't see it much.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-04-20, 10:29   Link #91
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Sheryl's prima dona attitude put me off at first, but she did gain some points in this episode. Still, it may need a few more before I actually like her. Did she ever get to tell Alto why she'd seeked him out?
Nope. Due to the circumstances she understandably forgot about asking for her earring back until while having a bath that tv show that was on mentioned earrings. She remarks "I have to see that guy again" after realizing she forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
It is actually an interesting point how I see Sheryl. Even though she is supposed to be in her teens, I think Orion is right in pointing out that her image is that of a 20+ year old. It may be the mature aura around her rather than her personality. You know, the stuck up-I am the best kind of personality which celebraties fall victim too (they are usually around that age, reaching mid life crisis).
Yeah he's right, I'm just saying it's not a valid reason to think Ranka is going to win with ease, I mean c'mon Orion thinks Sheryl and Alto will be a one night stand type thing... I don't think he really gets it. Anyway my obvious preference and gut feeling is Sheryl but like in the original Macross I'm happy with either girl winning since like the original I like both. It's foolish to count any of these two out at this stage, it only needs to have one major event happen to turn this triangle on it's head.
Old 2008-04-20, 10:36   Link #92
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Leon and that whats her name again? is just Freakin' lucky bastard. And same w/ Alto. He was lucky enough to have touched Ranka's cute breast back in EP 2 now hes given the once in a lifetime chance to see Sheryls boobs. Damn kid.

Yeah; Great EP, love it. The action seems to just keep going. I wonder when we'll get to see an episode that doesn't have one.
Old 2008-04-20, 11:04   Link #93
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir senshi View Post
I'm getting major bad vibes from this Leon fella.

Also, did it seem like he was kinda forcing Cathy or at least she seemed a bit hesitant because she tried to use her father as an excuse not to do it right there and then.
Or maybe she's just being conservative/shy?
Leon does stink like a manipulative assholes though. My bet are on him using Lt Glass to climb the social/career ladder as well.
Old 2008-04-20, 11:06   Link #94
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Nope. Due to the circumstances she understandably forgot about asking for her earring back until while having a bath that tv show that was on mentioned earrings. She remarks "I have to see that guy again" after realizing she forgot.
Yeah just the minor interruption of getting attacked and then stuffed in an emergency shelter. Was a little close with them running low on air. Things like that can make you forget about previous plans.

Besides gives her reason to keep on seeking him out. Eventually something forming that will make her want to spend time with him not just regarding the earring.
Quote:
Yeah he's right, I'm just saying it's not a valid reason to think Ranka is going to win with ease, I mean c'mon Orion thinks Sheryl and Alto will be a one night stand type thing... I don't think he really gets it. Anyway my obvious preference and gut feeling is Sheryl but like in the original Macross I'm happy with either girl winning since like the original I like both. It's foolish to count any of these two out at this stage, it only needs to have one major event happen to turn this triangle on it's head.
Really think this will be close right till the end. Each girl will have moments where bonds are strengthened with Altoh and moments where things are strained. Wouldn't be a good love triangle if it was clearcut right from the start. Think both have shown good qualities and reasons why they could end up with Altoh in the end. Would like Ranka, but if in the end he is with Sheryl I could understand that.
Old 2008-04-20, 11:16   Link #95
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
Leon and that whats her name again? is just Freakin' lucky bastard.
Well Leon to me is gonna pull a Ingram Prisken (Super Robot Wars) given he is seducing Cathy Glass.

Not exactly a carreer making move hitting on the president's daughter.

Man they really made the military here quite incompetent.
Guess I'm spoiled will Max Jenius in command of a fleet's forces.

This episode has shown that Alto lacks girl handling skills.

Bet Sheryll isn't the only girl Alto will be locking horns with.

*Waits for whats her name Meltrandi pilot in the OP*
Old 2008-04-20, 11:45   Link #96
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Does anyone find it interesting that Sheryl may have a tracker on her that she is unaware of? I wonder how far this will be explored since she attributes things to "luck" when it may not be just luck.
Maybe she's aware of it? And well, although they could track her thanks to it (Alto and Ranka would have to be grateful too btw), she was right to get out at that time, when the dome was fixed and they could breathe outside, instead of slowly dying inside like Alto intended to do

I enjoyed that episode a lot, and I wasn't as bothered by the fanservice as I thought I would be when I looked at the screenshots.
The 3 main characters are starting to get interesting and well fleshed out. But although she's adorable, I hope they'll tone down the "Ranka breaking down" moments, cause it gets a bit tiring to me. The scene where she yelled at Ozma was over dramatic, but thankfully, the part on the hill was great.

Spoiler for Leon:
Old 2008-04-20, 12:12   Link #97
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I wouldn't call Alto a loser either. He's very good at what he does, and, as everyone remarks, he's very pretty. Probably popular, at least in the younger boys population, if Luca's any indication...
Less of a 'loser' rather than the stereotypical young adult brat. They need to show his family and get it over with. I think it'd be nice if he makes up and grows up. I had enough of the silly family dynamics with Minmay's old family. That filled the quota for useless family squabble in a Macross show.

Quote:
I don't think so. She came to Alto but that attack ruined all chances. That and the shelter situation.

Quote:
Ranka, OTOH, is just plain cute. Her childishness should be a turn off, but somehow it just makes her endearing.
Moé Moé!
Old 2008-04-20, 13:07   Link #98
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, maybe Alto's dad really is an asshole. Abusive, overbearing, demanding, and so on. Why should they reconcile?

Also, was anyone else annoyed at Mikhail? Way to be supportive, man. "As your friend, I'm telling you to keep out. 'cause you're going to get somebody killed." It'd be different if he'd told Alto what he found wrong with him. But it seems he just pounced on an opportunity to lord it over him.
Old 2008-04-20, 13:36   Link #99
ReddyRedWolf

Actually even if Alto is talented he's still a newb.

This is real combat not a simulation.

Also I think I know where Mikhail's logic is coming from.

Alto is a Maverick in their acrobatic team.

A lousy team player. These guys (SMS) trust each other with each other's lives.

Get your act together or you'll get killed or a teammate killed.

I wont always be there to save your ass.

If set aside the possibility that Mikhail despite being a playboy has a taste for the cutesy loli. (Ranka)

Yeah a great way for your boss to kill you for.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2008-04-20 at 14:14.
Old 2008-04-20, 13:38   Link #100
Westlo
Lets be reality

Mikhail's probably thinking that if he does something similar to what he did in the Sheryl concert someone will pay the price for it and die.
Closed Thread