AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 36 32.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 34.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 21.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.73%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.91%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-01, 18:14   Link #81
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
Why they still wearing school uniform when at home?
Please don't say because it is easier to animate or they don't need to mess with another custom colour palette.
Is this ordinary in Japan, student wearing their uniform although they already at home?
Well is not really ordinary (But is also not really unordinary either so 50:50) to do that in japan. usually they just work too hard or too busy to change their cloth

Old 2012-11-01, 18:18   Link #82
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I almost died when Rikka and Dekomori were curling in the pool. Hurry haaaarrrrd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I also found interesting when Rikka hits Yuuta with the broom in the pool scene. "My hand slipped" was obviously an excuse.
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong in what Yuuta had just said right before, so I can only conclude that she didn't like that he was talking with Shinka.
I can't think of anything else, but it's strange, he wasn't really doing anything that he didn't do before a lot of times...
Personally, I was pleasantly surprised by how light-handed they were with this bit of business, more so because Yuuta made no specific infraction in his dialogue. It just happened, they didn't try to get a cheap laugh out of it, and then they moved on. It's not important if you miss the implication. It's just a little something to notice if you're watching the group dynamics.
Old 2012-11-01, 18:34   Link #83
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Ugh, I cannot stand Dekomori. Her perma-"desu" at sentence end is chipping away at my nerves, even though I don't generally mind these kind of stilistic tools.
Anyway, I find it quite funny how similar Yuuta and Shinka are in terms of trying to desperately keep their past illness sealed away It kinda makes you glad that in real world the most common child "illness" are the imaginary friends. Though, it would be interesting to know if the chuuni-byou exists in the real world in one way or another
Rikka's small signs of jealosy throughout the the last and current episodes were very cute. And Yuuta has a (generally) a lively imagination when it comes to "simulate" scenarios with Shinka
Old 2012-11-01, 19:08   Link #84
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I didn't quite think about it during the first time I watched the episode but Yuuta most likely imagined Rikka eating alone while watching at the leftovers. This is probably when he started to realize how lonely she is, and that's probably why he decided to start cleaning.
No, Yuuta had no idea that she was "that" lonely, considering he mentioned that Rikka should tell her family and friends about her mail address, so he wasn't expecting her to be "that lonely", hence why his expression changed after Rikka told him only Touka and Sanae "acknowledge" her existence.

There isn't really any deep thought for this part: knowing Rikka isn't exactly that diligent, he just felt helping her a bit.

Anyway, this episode was excellent in term of character development, with few gimmicks making it quite balanced. Obviously far less hilarious than the previous episodes, I think this direction choice was for the best so to set the mood and the tone shift in a natural way, without making the episode bipolar.
Rikka was previously shown as quite interested in Yuuta (not in a romance aspect that is), so the little details with her wanting his attention and presence with her activities and all converge quite well with this episode, where her problems are apparent.

Yuuta also got a lot of credits: there was absolutely no need to use his Dark Flame Master persona for this little treat, so this part really shows how Yuuta got a good grasp of Rikka's take on her chuuni antics, and can see through her much better, than "just being a weird girl acting like a middle school brat".

I'm also quite satisfied the drama didn't explode into anything corny or shoehorned: Rikka's social interactions were hinted progressively, with a simple but sufficient exposure regarding her family, without making her all depressed or emo about that. Likewise, the chuuni part wasn't branded as a desperate attempt to escape reality whatsoever. It gives a good sense of "something is there" without making it annoyingly distracting in a serious nature whatsoever.

Quite the best episode regarding characters in general for this series.
Old 2012-11-01, 19:27   Link #85
Forsaken_Infinity

Kind of a change of pace episode I guess. I missed the frenetic pace of the earlier episodes but this wasn't too bad.

Rikka is so jealous of Nibutani though. She hits Yuuta on head just for gazing at Nibutani's swimsuit O_O
Old 2012-11-01, 19:27   Link #86
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No, Yuuta had no idea that she was "that" lonely, considering he mentioned that Rikka should tell her family and friends about her mail address, so he wasn't expecting her to be "that lonely", hence why his expression changed after Rikka told him only Touka and Sanae "acknowledge" her existence.

There isn't really any deep thought for this part: knowing Rikka isn't exactly that diligent, he just felt helping her a bit.
I don't know why you stress that "that lonely" thing. I said that he started to understand how lonely she is. He just had more confirmations later.

That shots of the table with the leftover is definitely a sad sight. You probably missed that Yuuta was so lost in thought when looking at that, that Rikka had to call his name twice.

Yuuta was most certainly not completely honest when he gave his explanation to the questioning Rikka. In the first place Rikka questioned him because she understood it was an act of kindness that went beyond "I'm cleaning your mess". Note that Yuuta told her why he was doing that before she could say a thing, but she still asked why.

Old 2012-11-01, 20:25   Link #87
larethian

Halfway through the episode, I was expecting Yuuta to motivate Rika by telling her that understanding the math on this side is crucial to deciphering the formula of the temporal disjunction of this plane and pinpointing the ley lines that run through this city, allowing her to form a conduit to Ja-Ou no Sekai and unlocking the true potential of her Ja-Ou Shingan. Neglecting her math all this while was one of the key reasons why she could not win against the Priestess. But alas, I thought too much.
Old 2012-11-01, 21:21   Link #88
Nitial

Random theory.
What is Rikka and Touka's parents are dead.
Rikka and Touka used to be Chuunibyou siblings or something. When their parents died Touka had to grow up. That's why their relationship drifted apart.
Old 2012-11-01, 21:30   Link #89
ChronoReverse

Who would Rikka have been living with before she moved here in the first episode?
Old 2012-11-01, 21:37   Link #90
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
1. "delusion" -- Not actual delusion. Maybe a compulsive reaction to unpleasant reality? When discussions in the staff room turn bad for her, Rikka drifts off into chuunibyou fantasies that make her feel better but do not actually solve the problem. You could also call it childish -- middle-school age child -- because it does not match reality. In Dekomori's and Nibutani's cases, perhaps they were driven to it by the fact that (a) they were too smart to find school work challenging, and (b) their intelligence and pride made them objects of dislike for the other students. Dekomori had to go to a higher grade to find a friend; Rikka had to go to a lower one. The reason Rikka had no friends may show up soon in the anime. I guess her parents' divorce will be part of it.
It seems less and less credible in my view to see Rikka as mentally ill, in any sort of clinical sense. I think she very much knows that her imaginary world and the real world are not identical, but she *chooses* the imaginary one, because it's just *better* than the real world, where she's terribly lonely and has to deal with things like seemingly pointless math exams. The real world isn't worth much in her view, and it's hard for me to blame her for staying in an imaginary realm where she has special powers, where she doesn't need to think about her loneliness, and where the day-to-day cares of the real world don't exist.

But, of course, the real world can't be held off forever, and this episode showed Yuuta helping Rikka bridge the gap, so to speak, between her real and imaginary worlds, in as painless a way as possible. In the end, Rikka *will* have to face up to reality, and it looks like Yuuta will have an important role to play in that process, while still letting Rikka be her imaginative self.
Old 2012-11-01, 22:21   Link #91
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Who would Rikka have been living with before she moved here in the first episode?
I must assume one of her parents--presumably her mother? It's probably significant even she is nowhere to be seen.
Old 2012-11-01, 22:23   Link #92
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
I must assume one of her parents--presumably her mother? It's probably significant even she is nowhere to be seen.
I was responding to Nitial who suggested the parents might be dead. I suspect they're alive but it can't be all right (likely a divorce from Touka's playing house?).
Old 2012-11-01, 22:38   Link #93
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
I was responding to Nitial who suggested the parents might be dead. I suspect they're alive but it can't be all right (likely a divorce from Touka's playing house?).
Ah, missed the context of your statement.

I'm pretty sure Touka's reference to divorce wasn't accidental--to its credit, nothing seems to be really "accidental" in KyoAni's recent anime--and it represents the state of Rikka's parents.
Old 2012-11-02, 01:36   Link #94
supermegasonic

kumin got smacked, no one's safe anymore!!
Old 2012-11-02, 02:00   Link #95
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Rikka was cute in this episode
Old 2012-11-02, 03:18   Link #96
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Was an OK episode. This series is better when it goes full out silliness, it was a bit too restrained here and it suffered for it. Though I guess it might not be a bad idea in the end considering the comedy for this series is getting old at an exponential rate and something else will have to prop this show up.

Still I think there isn't a whole lot of light at the end of the tunnel for this show. The characters aren't interesting enough to sustain any meaningful characters arcs and the comedy is getting tired out. The romance in this show would be a pathetic attempt at best.

So not a bad episode, but growing more and more concerned about future prospects here. It's trending downwards since episode 1.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2012-11-02 at 03:46.
Old 2012-11-02, 03:58   Link #97
Seitsuki
Onee!

I'm here to watch anime and take statins, and I'm all out of statins.
Old 2012-11-02, 04:45   Link #98
whitecloud

when they are going for a date? seeing the atmosphere it is not weird if rikka asking yuuta out as thanks for help as an excuse...

but anyway rikka is somehow is immature to develop some level of relationship unless she could resolve her issues...before that yuuta will only become her emotional crutch and that is not good for a long time one...

and for those who interested....swimsuit.... (may you bleed to death...kekeke)

Old 2012-11-02, 05:09   Link #99
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I concur what has already been said: Rikka's smile at the end of the episode was heart-attack inducing. So adorable <3
Hope we'll see more heart-warming moments like this one in fugure episodes.
I feel like I need to buy a heart monitor watch just for this anime
Old 2012-11-02, 08:00   Link #100
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

You guys need to go to fan art thread. It help to train your heart

Closed Thread