AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 82 52.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 37.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 6.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.64%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-02, 14:56   Link #41
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

This episode was great, although the pace was very fast, but it was stitched together very well.

The party was great - the dance was funny as hell ... this episode had that feeling of impending doom written all over it... and not because we knew what was coming(to some extent), but because the mood was set perfectly.

The boxcutter scene was creepy... the "click" "click" was pure evil. I thought that Shiori's eyes looked a bit "out-of-it" when Yuuichi and Ayu first met her, but i brushed it aside... now i know why - she was going home to die X_x

Blushing Shiori = pure win... and she does that a good number of times this ep ... and she kissed Yuuichi in the end But damn...why did she have to run off before letting her confession sink in T.T (that was a rhetorical question - clearly she does not want Yuuichi to be in pain, but she also couldn't keep her feelings in...hence she probably tries to save him from as much pain as she can, by running away)

I just hope this is not the last we see of Shiori, but i am afraid she has completely left the stage for now (and they have a very convenient excuse for it - she does not want to see Yuuichi suffer because of her any more). And i have a feeling Kaori is going to be absent for a while as well... hence eliminating the only source of information about Shiori available to Yuuichi, since he does not know where she lives. (very conveniently that he never walked with her all the way to her home, no ? ).

Tho it should not be very hard to find out where Shiori lives (heck, he could ask around the hospital, or ask Nayuki where Kaori lives for example... never mind the phone books), i doubt they will do it, and we will probably be left in the dark about Shiori's fate for a good while.

Finally - Yuuichi's condition. The whole Shiori case has struck him with a vengeance. It almost seemed to me he was about to cry two times during the ep. He is probably going to be in a state of depression for a good while... at least for the next ep... after all Shiori is the girl he seems to be the most attached to, and probably the closest he has had to a romantic interest.

I just hope it won't be fixed with a classical "Shiori wouldn't want you to suffer because of her, so cheer up" advice from Nayuki/Ayu/<insert character>. At any rate - it will be interesting to see how Yuuichi deals with the aftermath, because up untill now he has been sort of a pillar of strength and support, but as things are now he is probably unable to support himself properly, let alone others. (Then again this might be a chance for Ayu/Nayuki to shine - now that Yuuichi needs support himself).

At any rate - i hope that Shiori lives, and comes back in the spring or whenever.
[wistful thinking]
And Yuuichi, tired from all the bickering between Nayuki/Ayu over him, that will have taken place up until that time, goes after Shiori for some peace and quiet, and they have horde of babies and live happily ever after.
[/wistful thinking]

10/10 because it is a great ep, and because i am a shameless Shiori fanboy *waves flag*
Old 2007-02-02, 16:06   Link #42
Takemaru
Helpfull Chibi

Send a message via MSN to Takemaru Send a message via Yahoo to Takemaru
Unhappy ...

10/10 Perfect Episode Ow my god... I think i will cry. It was very happy episode and sad to....
Old 2007-02-02, 17:11   Link #43
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
This episode was touching, and, like the rest of Kanon, can only be truly described as "compelling".

But Kitagawa shaking his behind and he and Yuuichi in makeup were SEVERELY disturbing images. I may not be able to sleep after seeing that.
Old 2007-02-02, 17:24   Link #44
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Man did the dancing part at the part remind anyone else on the end of Suzumiya Haruhi? I kept picturing Kyon and Koizumi XD

Epi wasnt bad but I think several epis have been better, I give 8/10 I was glad that Kaori did come to the party in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Finally - Yuuichi's condition. The whole Shiori case has struck him with a vengeance. It almost seemed to me he was about to cry two times during the ep. He is probably going to be in a state of depression for a good while... at least for the next ep...
And I just wanted to hug him!!! Poor Yuuichi Most of the avys I put reqs in for from this epi were him looking depressed but he still looks so cute too!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2007-02-02 at 17:47.
Old 2007-02-02, 18:30   Link #45
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Before watching, i had this feeling that the episode would seem rushed - what with having the birthday part, and then the after park scene, though it turned out to be a wonderful episode. Belongs in my top 05 episode list for sure.

Highlights: Shiori & Kaori going to look each other in the cafe - having pure snow playing in the background was just a work of genius. I can't think of any other BGM that would have worked perfectly for that scene like it did. The main part of the episode had to be the kiss - having it on the check makes out to be more of a 'thank you' kiss more then anything. It might be the inner-Shiori fanboy speaking, though i always found her & Yuuichi to make the best couple out of the bunch. I've been thinking that for a good while now, though it was thanks to the final park scene that has me actually wanting it to happen.

As for next episode - well, we'll see what happens.
Old 2007-02-02, 18:44   Link #46
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
A stunning episode - the ending was like getting kicked in the heart.

So much unresolved after so much hope achieved and seemingly dashed.
Old 2007-02-02, 19:20   Link #47
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
A stunning episode - the ending was like getting kicked in the heart.

So much unresolved after so much hope achieved and seemingly dashed.
well it wasnt all dashed ~ we can still hope for shiori's well being with the ending like that it isnt over until i see her lying on the floor lifeless! >.< (which i hope will never happen)

and my question before on what if she doesnt die and how the drama impact might suffer from this ~ well the conclusion i got sure was unexpected

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-02, 20:00   Link #48
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Did anyone else think that the far more interesting problem of the divide between Shiori and Kaori got dealt with far too quickly. It felt to me that the more interesting facet of this arc, the sisterly relationship had been, up until that point the main focus and conflict, and yet it was just resolved over what was essentially a sudden change of heart on Kaori's part. So, she was forced to be with her sister, and she had a good time at the party. And then, bang, everything's hunky-dory between them. Just too quick, IMO.

Other than that, fair episode. I've been a little disappointed with the handling of the Shiori arc this time round, my main complaint being the one above, but it's been missing something that's been in KyoAni's other arcs that makes it a tad underwhelming. Which it really shouldn't be, since it has the potential to be the most dramatic if they handle things correctly. I'm not sure what it is, though... I can't quite put my finger on what it's missing.

The fact that they weren't conclusive about the ending makes me think that she's
Spoiler:
Though that's just speculation.
Old 2007-02-02, 20:08   Link #49
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

true, it was not as tearjerking as it could have been made... because from the looks of it, this had the potential to make people cry like no tomorrow. But then again - the whole Kanon has been on a pretty bittersweet mood, compared to the tragedy that was Air, and i just assume that this time around KyoAni are not trying to come up with events that make you want to curl up and die in a corner

But i am interested in Shiori's ending in 2k2 version.... could some kind Kanon veteran please PM me and spill some beans about Shiori's fate there ?
Old 2007-02-02, 20:18   Link #50
Bloody Nightingale
Banzai~! Banzai~!

Quote:
The fact that they weren't conclusive about the ending makes me think that she's
Spoiler:
Though that's just speculation.
That what inconclusive ends are for, they are EVIL EVIL cliff hangers, they haunt you even though you know what the outcome maybe, until you can't take it anymore and go crazy....... blah, i think im going overboard now.....

I like how KA resolved the arc this way though,
As I have said before, KA can't miracles going on literally EVERYWHERE in the city, meanwhile they can't really kill off Shiori. Now that they gave us a cliff hanger, the continuity of meaning and U1's depression will go on without much problem, because he/we audience, cannot tell definitely what happened to Shiori. So we can say for now, miracle has not happened (yet), but Shiori is (still) alive.

Sweet trick KA.
Old 2007-02-02, 20:24   Link #51
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

The previous episode was a trip into the deepest pits of hell. This episode, on the other hand, was a well-balanced rollercoaster ride; the highs, and the lows, came at exactly the right times.

Let's start with the lighter moments first. Immediately right after the OP, Shiori-chan made me chuckle when I saw that apparently, she had taken some tips from Ayu-chan on how to greet someone in the morning.

And then, there was the initial part of the birthday party. Certainly, the fact that Yuuichi is becoming more and more of a pimp every day certainly isn't lost on his closest male pal. It really is great to see Kitagawa being more present in not only the big, but also the smaller details of life as well. Makes him seem more like a person than usual; I'm starting to think I really would have liked it if KyoAni gave Kitagawa more chances to play off Yuuichi.

(Notice when Kitagawa goes "Shiori-chan nee, Minase nee, eto.....Tsukimiya Ayu-chan, dake?", Shiori was blushing. Now if they were ALL blushing.... )

There were some things I never noticed about Kitagawa though; apparently he must have been a trained wrestler to be able to put Yuuichi in a headlock so easily like that. And after that, I was REALLY surprised by him! I mean, from 10:57-10:58....

"Kitagawa-kun, kakoii!"

Looks like Kitagawa isn't quite as luckless with the girls as we thought, eh? And that dance.......

Ice cream birthday cake: $<insert price here>
Elvis suit: $<insert price here>
Bill for birthday paraphernalia: $<insert price here>
Kaori going when Kitagawa asks her to dance: PRICELESS.

Okay, now on to the graver portion.

KyoAni's version of Shiori's story differed a lot from the game transcript I had read of the game itself......but you know what? I think that KyoAni may have just managed to tell the story of Kanon better than even KEY itself did, once again. The organizing of the birthday party reflected well on the character of Yuuichi, who was shown to be someone with a firm grasp of the situation; it also reflected even better on the character of Kaori, who was shown to have taken the initiative in getting over her phobia of meeting Shiori to turn up at the party on her own.

Spoiler for in-game events:

(From 13:14-13:16, that was PERFECT cinematography they pulled there, bringing Kaori into the light from the shadow when she turned towards Shiori. PERFECT cinematography.)

(13:35-13:36, that slap looked painful. >_< )

And then, the fountain scene. It went just like I hoped it would; Shiori talking about her suicicde attempt, her conversation about what she hoped to do in the future, and the phrase that struck me the most, "There are still many places I want to go to and things I still want to do."

That is a phrase I've seen many times in many other similar stories to Shiori's, but the impact is in no way lessened because of that.

And finally.....the way Shiori dumped Yuuichi there,

Spoiler:

All in all......once again, KyoAni, take a perfect 10 from me.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-02-02 at 20:48.
Old 2007-02-02, 20:41   Link #52
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

I really hope that this is not the end of Shiori, at least not yet. I still haven't seen Shiori's cute face biting on Akiko's jam, and still want to see it. The same with Mai and Sayuri. But overall, great episode.
Old 2007-02-02, 20:56   Link #53
Bloody Nightingale
Banzai~! Banzai~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Okay, now on to the graver portion.

KyoAni's version of Shiori's story differed a lot from the game transcript I had read of the game itself......but you know what? I think that KyoAni may have just managed to tell the story of Kanon better than even KEY itself did, once again. The organizing of the birthday party reflected well on the character of Yuuichi, who was shown to be someone with a firm grasp of the situation; it also reflected even better on the character of Kaori, who was shown to have taken the initiative in getting over her phobia of meeting Shiori to turn up at the party on her own.

Spoiler for in-game events:

(From 13:14-13:16, that was PERFECT cinematography they pulled there, bringing Kaori into the light from the shadow when she turned towards Shiori. PERFECT cinematography.)

(13:35-13:36, that slap looked painful. >_< )

And then, the fountain scene. It went just like I hoped it would; Shiori talking about her suicicde attempt, her conversation about what she hoped to do in the future, and the phrase that struck me the most, "There are still many places I want to go to and things I still want to do."

That is a phrase I've seen many times in many other similar stories to Shiori's, but the impact is in no way lessened because of that.

And finally.....the way Shiori dumped Yuuichi there,

Spoiler:

All in all......once again, KyoAni, take a perfect 10 from me.

No Shiori dumping U1 there is not an original approach by KA. In fact,

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-02, 21:06   Link #54
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Nightingale View Post
No Shiori dumping U1 there is not an original approach by KA. In fact,

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-02, 21:35   Link #55
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
say
i could be wrong but it seems like Yuuichi has some feelings for Shiori , right ?
or perhaps he does all the things for the sake of her illness
Old 2007-02-02, 21:37   Link #56
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Damn, I must've forgotten about slicing onions before this episode or I'm catching the flu because my eyes kept watering while watching it. I wonder if I'm the only one.

The ending was bad in a good way. It was the most WTF ending I can recall in the series so far. Closure? Next week? Arrrrrggghh!

One thing I noticed that I hadn't seen in previous episodes was the shading over the eyes for Kaori and Shiori. It was used quite a bit in #18.

This was done very well; I really enjoyed Jun getting a larger role this time around. What a cornball! What a suit!

Spoiler for Shiori's fate?:
Old 2007-02-02, 21:48   Link #57
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 23 View Post
Spoiler for Shiori's fate?:
I beg to differ:

Spoiler for preview:
Old 2007-02-02, 22:00   Link #58
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
nope he already got his scarf in ep3
Old 2007-02-02, 22:09   Link #59
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Yikes, VRMN. I have to wait a week for this? Arrrgghh!!one!!eleven!!
Old 2007-02-02, 22:18   Link #60
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Even with its (minimal) downs, this episode is incredibly great and enjoyable, but not so dramatic though...
Spoiler for Not really a spoiler anymore...:

And BTW, if you still think Kanon's OST is not worth the money, you have some great piano BGM to shake that idea. Truly excelent sound management during this arc.
Closed Thread