AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-31, 00:15   Link #761
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally couldn't wait to watch new episodes of HSI every chance I got. And at least from my perspective, one must have been drinking gallons of Okada Mari Haterade in order to not enjoy it.

Tari Tari on the other hand? While no means a bad show (I rate it something like 4th or 5th best show this summer season), it lacks the edge, oomph, and impact of HSI. I just don't have the urge to watch it immediately like I did HSI. :shrug:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:32   Link #762
Utsuro no Hako

You have to give Okada this -- HanaIro has been over for almost a year and it's still generating more discussion than some shows that are currently airing. Madoka doesn't come up in conversations this often.

Now, back on topic. I feel so bad for poor Wakana. How can anyone be so blind to the overwhelming awesomeness that is Wien?

Oh, and she seems to attract death flags like a dog turd attracts flies.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:39   Link #763
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

That's because infamy lasts longer than fame, and infamy is not a good thing .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:44   Link #764
deadite

I personally can't wait for the movie...
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 00:55   Link #765
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
You have to give Okada this -- HanaIro has been over for almost a year and it's still generating more discussion than some shows that are currently airing. Madoka doesn't come up in conversations this often.
In the context of itself, HSI hasn't generated that much discussion long-term post its completion. Its being discussed here on the basis of comparison that it was the most recent, similar work from PA with a key difference coming down to the writer. We'd discuss other shows if there were a basis for it (such as K-On's art style in Kokoro Connect) but in recent times, HanaIro (and AnoHana, which has also been mentioned... and again has the same writer) is the closest on many levels (except episode count).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Now, back on topic. I feel so bad for poor Wakana. How can anyone be so blind to the overwhelming awesomeness that is Wien?

Oh, and she seems to attract death flags like a dog turd attracts flies.
Most everyone is blind to Wien right now.

Death flags in Tari Tari!?
Old 2012-07-31, 01:34   Link #766
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
In the context of itself, HSI hasn't generated that much discussion long-term post its completion. Its being discussed here on the basis of comparison that it was the most recent, similar work from PA with a key difference coming down to the writer.
But this thread is hardly an isolated incident. Any time a discussion takes a turn towards Okada Rage, it inevitably devolves into an argument about whether or not HSI is an example of what's wrong with her.

Quote:
We'd discuss other shows if there were a basis for it (such as K-On's art style in Kokoro Connect) but in recent times, HanaIro (and AnoHana, which has also been mentioned... and again has the same writer) is the closest on many levels (except episode count).
There are as many similarities to Chihayafuru (girl ropes classmates into starting a club so they can take part in a non-athletic competition) and Ano Natsu (group of friends undertake a project together, dramatic revelations slowly build up to something resembling a plot).

Quote:
Death flags in Tari Tari!?
Her mother, obviously, was surrounded by them in the flashback, while her cat got one in the present -- which is good since it takes the death flags away from Father Going To Perform Outdoor Labor While A Big Storm Is Coming.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 01:57   Link #767
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I just want to ask that we please try to keep this thread on-topic, as there are people who are watching this show who never even watched Hanasaku Iroha, and the spoiler policy requires that all comparisons of a show to other works require properly-labelled spoiler tags (and the comparisons are only permitted when they are relevant and on-topic). If people really want to discuss the studio's works, or the other show's writer, I believe there are threads in the General Anime section for both.
Old 2012-07-31, 04:26   Link #768
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Most everyone is blind to Wien right now.
Well, I think that Wien is a fun character to have around for comedic purposes but to be honest he lacks depth (as of episode 5). He just seems to go around with everything that his friends do, never expressing an opinion or a desire of his own.
But I want to be optimistic and believe that he will get proper exposition in future episodes.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 08:35   Link #769
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Episode 5:
Spoiler:
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 09:08   Link #770
deadite

I knew that something was up with Wakana from the very beginning. She is a generally pleasant character who avoids getting into things way too easily. Also her making a big fuss about Konatsu's desire to start a club and still helping her as "unofficial member" shows that deep inside she still wants to sing and by not letting Konatsu's dream die, she's doesn't want to let go of the thing her mother love. I have a feeling that Konatsu and Wakana were very much like Miharu and the Vice Principal in their younger days.
Old 2012-07-31, 11:00   Link #771
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Well I'm really enjoying this series. It just got exponentially better.

Also, dem buttslaps.

What I like is how P.A. Works can make awesome OPs like HanaIro and Tari Tari now.

Sawa's VA normally plays yandere flat chested girls... it's a nice change :P

AAAAAND YES. Dorama. I love seeing stuff like this.

Cheers
Arturia

EDIT: I swear, Konatsu is going to be such a yuri and fetish magnet later on...

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact

Last edited by Arturia Polaris; 2012-07-31 at 11:48.
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 13:38   Link #772
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
...Sawa's VA normally plays yandere flat chested girls....
Really? You mean like Saki in Eden of the East, Ikaros in Sora no Otoshimono, Wako in Stardriver, or Musubi in Sekirei? I think Hayami Saori tends to play soft-spoken innocents. But anyway, I think she's great here, too, as she graduates to playing shikkari upper-crust young ladies (which is what she is herself, I believe).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 13:52   Link #773
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Really? You mean like Saki in Eden of the East, Ikaros in Sora no Otoshimono, Wako in Stardriver, or Musubi in Sekirei? I think Hayami Saori tends to play soft-spoken innocents. But anyway, I think she's great here, too, as she graduates to playing shikkari upper-crust young ladies (which is what she is herself, I believe).
Her latest roles are Aragaki Ayase, Haqua, Chiriko Tsuruma (Oreimo, TWGOK, AnoHana)

That's what I'm referring to. Tsun tsun or Yandere flat chested girls.

I'm not really sure about her other works but I have her pinned to those 3 names.

Cheers;
Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:53   Link #774
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Her latest roles are Aragaki Ayase, Haqua, Chiriko Tsuruma (Oreimo, TWGOK, AnoHana). That's what I'm referring to. Tsun tsun or Yandere flat chested girls. I'm not really sure about her other works but I have her pinned to those 3 names. Cheers; Arturia
And here I thought I was a big fan of hers. Haven't watched much of those first two shows. I will now. Thanks.

Edit:
Live singing performance Sunday at Wonderfest by Hayami Saori (Sawa, left) and Seto Asami (Konatsu, right):

NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

One commenter says he got goosebumps. I did, too, particularly when Hayamin started singing. As I've said before, I think she has one of the most purely "beautiful" voices in the world. Other comments mention some quavering, and also legs....

To get rid of the streams of comments, click the three dots in the balloon at the lower right.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-31 at 18:43. Reason: merge posts
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 20:27   Link #775
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDistance View Post
Even though I prefer this to not have any romance at all, I agree that at this point romance is probably the only thing that can make the male cast more relevant. Honestly though, at this point it seems a bit late. The only kind of 'chemistry' we've seen so far is probably Sawa and Tachi this episode, and it felt a bit forced. I'm also guessing that the badminton part has served () it's purpose now.

As for Wakana's drama, I thought that was handled pretty nicely and I do believe she's a worthy lead. I may be slightly partial though, having lost my mother as well and knowing how that clusterfuck of emotions can be a pretty hefty load.

As for Wien, how did he steal all your hearts? I find him pretty annoying, regardless of screentime..
There's no question that of the three school life shows airing on summer weekends, Tari Tari tacks closest to formula. What makes it interesting to me is that it's incredibly generic superficially, but so far manages to feel fresh and interesting most of the time. It's just quirky and ironic enough to make it work.

When you see decisions like who the narrative focuses on and who is sacrificed, TT tends to take the conventional route more often than not, because structurally it's a conventional show. That seems to limit just how good it can really be, because fundamentally it's trying to do generic things in a pleasing way (and generally succeeding) rather than try to do anything really original.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 22:39   Link #776
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:

Edit:
Live singing performance Sunday at Wonderfest by Hayami Saori (Sawa, left) and Seto Asami (Konatsu, right):

NicoNico

One commenter says he got goosebumps. I did, too, particularly when Hayamin started singing. As I've said before, I think she has one of the most purely "beautiful" voices in the world. Other comments mention some quavering, and also legs....

To get rid of the streams of comments, click the three dots in the balloon at the lower right.
waiting for OST
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 22:44   Link #777
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
And here I thought I was a big fan of hers. Haven't watched much of those first two shows. I will now. Thanks.

Edit:

NicoNico

I really hope they do a "Reflectia" tribute like in episode 1 with that choir, that still continues to give the chills every time I hear it. Thanks for sharing, these two seiyuu's are amazing, as always!
Old 2012-08-01, 02:15   Link #778
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

just picked this up series, thinking it might be some K-On clone, but i was gladly disappointed.

Wakana is adorable..her suffering is very touching. I'm so glad I picked this up and gave it a shot, because I wouldn't have found this gem.
Old 2012-08-01, 09:11   Link #779
deadite

Wakana was angry at her mom that she was messing around instead of teaching her that piano piece. I think Wakana loves music in the same way Vice Principal loves music. It pretty obvious as well that Vice Principal Loves music to a point that she is a perfectionist. You don't need to be all smiles like Konatsu and Miharu to show you love music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
There's no question that of the three school life shows airing on summer weekends, Tari Tari tacks closest to formula. What makes it interesting to me is that it's incredibly generic superficially, but so far manages to feel fresh and interesting most of the time. It's just quirky and ironic enough to make it work.

When you see decisions like who the narrative focuses on and who is sacrificed, TT tends to take the conventional route more often than not, because structurally it's a conventional show. That seems to limit just how good it can really be, because fundamentally it's trying to do generic things in a pleasing way (and generally succeeding) rather than try to do anything really original.
not to rag on you or anything Enzo but what is your beef with not being original? It think execution and direction of a piece are way better than originality. Don't you like reading books or watching shows about people doing mundane things? Ideas much less original ideas are a dime a dozen. What's the point of being original if you can't execute it well it write it well?

I'll give Tari Tari originality in not often used concept of a main character who doesn't take center stage.

Last edited by deadite; 2012-08-01 at 09:32.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:18   Link #780
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't have a "beef" with unoriginal shows. My point is that because TT is basically a formula show, it tends to make decisions that conform to formula. It doesn't do much that's really surprising or bold - it tries to do what's already been done in an enjoyable way. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I'd argue that some of the concerns viewers have expressed with the show (like the depiction of the male characters) are a direct result of this general tendency to tread the well-trodden path.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works