AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 54 31.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 29.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 24.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-11, 21:45   Link #161
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

To answer a few questions without spoiling too much,
  • There is a reason for Ayu's diminutive nature and childlike behaviour. It will not be explained so soon though... as it is part of the Ayu's arc, which in all likelihood, is going to be the backbone of the plot.
  • Speaking of which, yes, there is a plot. However, Kanon is not meant to be a high-paced comedic romance anime( like say... Love Hina). It is more of an atmospheric drama, with the story slowly building up before it reaches critical mass and goes *BOOM!* Surprise!
  • For us coots who have already been spoilt on the storyline, the element of surprise is no longer there, but the drama remains, and we also get a kick out from all the fan-pandering that has been inserted into the first episode. For me personally, I am looking forward to see how they animate Mai's action scenes. Given that this is the studio that brought life to FMP:TSR's combat, I am peaked about it.
Cheers.
Old 2006-10-11, 22:52   Link #162
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Gah, just got my internet back after almost a week because ISP was updating stuff, and I was in big anticipation of this episode. And now, I got it! WHEEE!

Unlike most people here, I actually like the girl's school uniform. A bit impractical since its cold there and the skirt is so short, but the mini-cloak grew unto me, though Nayuki's thigh-highs also played a smidge of a role as well.

'You'll be living her forever... Forever and Ever.' <--- Awww, Nayuki, is that a marriage proposal? ^_^ (Long skirts suit you as well!)

Anyone else notice they also put the crunching SFX when people walk through snow? Nayuki punching Yuiichi was cute as well.

And I miss the frog clock, if only because the frog clock has Nayuki's voice saying 'Oikete! Asa desu yo~!' or something to that effect IIRC.

Best part of the episode? The scene in my avi (thanks Catgirls btw!). Ayu fans like her spinning again and again, but me being a Nayuki fan (like that wasn't apparent by now lol), I like her wiggling scene. ^^;

And speaking of Ayu, wasn't her Uguu more pronounced in the 2k2? I gotta re-dl it to see...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2006-10-11, 23:09   Link #163
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
To answer a few questions without spoiling too much,
  • There is a reason for Ayu's diminutive nature and childlike behaviour. It will not be explained so soon though... as it is part of the Ayu's arc, which in all likelihood, is going to be the backbone of the plot.
  • Speaking of which, yes, there is a plot. However, Kanon is not meant to be a high-paced comedic romance anime( like say... Love Hina). It is more of an atmospheric drama, with the story slowly building up before it reaches critical mass and goes *BOOM!* Surprise!
  • For us coots who have already been spoilt on the storyline, the element of surprise is no longer there, but the drama remains, and we also get a kick out from all the fan-pandering that has been inserted into the first episode. For me personally, I am looking forward to see how they animate Mai's action scenes. Given that this is the studio that brought life to FMP:TSR's combat, I am peaked about it.
Cheers.
This makes FPB happy. I wasn't going to drop it, but you've definitely given me more to look forward to
Old 2006-10-12, 00:48   Link #164
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Ayu's not that bad off stat wise. Her BMI is 17.6. Japanese cutoff for normal BMI is 18.5. She's underweight.

The Japanese have been steadily increasing in height (graph II-2-1, page 6). (Original document is here.) So, for 1999 values (when the game was originally released), she may not be that short. Also, you also need to know the parents' data to comment on her height. Personally, I think that Shiori represents the average female teen height circa 1999, but I can't find alot of data to support this. Sorry.

For everbody heights...

Nayuki: 164 cm (5' 6")
Mai: 167 cm (5' 7")
Shiori: 157 cm (5' 2")
Makoto: 159 cm (5' 3")
Ayu: 154 cm (5' 0")

Last edited by orion; 2006-10-12 at 01:07.
Old 2006-10-12, 01:38   Link #165
DanielSong39

Nayuki and Mai are tall! Their heights should be pretty close to that of the average male in their class - which is not what I'm seeing.

Lop off 3 inches from everyone's heights and it looks about right.

Considering Remmy in the original To Heart was only 5' 8", there is NO WAY that these girls are that tall - unless everyone's been imported to Sweden.

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2006-10-12 at 14:27.
Old 2006-10-12, 06:11   Link #166
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Mentioning Kanon and Love Hina in the same sentence is a crime. Love Hina was derivative of previous work with it's harem comedy but Kanon revolutionised the bishoujo game market with its story-telling. The meme "sad girl in snow" was born as a direct reference to Nayuki of Kanon, this is how influential Kanon's storytelling on otakus was.
Old 2006-10-12, 08:46   Link #167
Yuelon
喜怒哀

/\
Agree!

And about all those heights i don't really mind them cause everybody is different form orion post really was alot of reading..... but was worth to know and understand about growth. Really was a good lecture.

Well form now the next Kanon 2k6 is soon abt 2h16m to go >< can't wait

P.S the first epi is really just setting the protagonist Yuuichi into the town so patience people more will come? mmm....... "Uguu" Quote form Yuuichi
Whether do I not know
Why can't we be togather like Moon & Stars.

Old 2006-10-12, 10:11   Link #168
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Nayuki and Mai are tall! Their heights should be pretty close to that of the average male in their class - which is not what I'm seeing.

Lop off 3 inches off of everyone's heights and it looks about right.

Considering Remmy in the original To Heart was only 5' 8", there is NO WAY that these girls are that tall - unless everyone's been imported to Sweden.
Here is the data from the game website. Guess they ate their Wheaties.
Old 2006-10-12, 10:15   Link #169
Lambda

First episode of the 2002 version I remember finding of very little interest, it was only because I'd heard that it became really good in the later episodes that I kept watching.

First episode of the 2006 version? I just smiled uncontrollably all the way through.

KyoAni are just obscenely talented. I'm not one for slice-of-life type storytelling, I want things to actually happen, for stories to be about something. But even if there was going to be no plot whatsoever, I could still sit through 23 more episodes of that quite happily. Absolutely no doubt.

But I know that things are going to happen. And I'm alive with anticipation.

Living up to the hype? Yep.
Old 2006-10-12, 13:20   Link #170
DanielSong39

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Here is the data from the game website. Guess they ate their Wheaties.
I'm not doubting your information; I just think the game makers exaggerated everyone's heights, that's all.

Either that, or the height of the average Japanese high school male is 5' 10".
Old 2006-10-12, 13:31   Link #171
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

You mean the game makers who created the game in the first place exaggerated about the height of characters they are responsible for creating and therefore have ultimate say about their characteristics, since this is, after all, fictional? They didn't make them 6ft tall anyway. THEY HAVE BIG EYES for Christ's sake
Old 2006-10-12, 13:40   Link #172
DanielSong39

I guess we could call these heights their "driver's license" heights, and leave it at that.

But I suppose we are talking about a fictional world where everyone is mysteriously tall, skinny, and have eyes the size of fists.
Old 2006-10-12, 13:47   Link #173
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I'm not doubting your information; I just think the game makers exaggerated everyone's heights, that's all.

Either that, or the height of the average Japanese high school male is 5' 10".
Bear in mind that we speak of the average height of an Asian male. In metric, a 16yr old male would be about 165-170cm on average. I'm 'just' 178cm and I am considered tall for an Asian male.

Not everybody gets to be a Yao Ming.

Cheers.

EDIT] Argh, this is what you get when you read posts past 2am. Ignore the above, I misunderstood what I read.
Old 2006-10-12, 14:31   Link #174
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Mentioning Kanon and Love Hina in the same sentence is a crime. Love Hina was derivative of previous work with it's harem comedy but Kanon revolutionised the bishoujo game market with its story-telling. The meme "sad girl in snow" was born as a direct reference to Nayuki of Kanon, this is how influential Kanon's storytelling on otakus was.
<rofl> I wasn't *comparing* the two ... just mentioning that in order to understand the *impact* Kanon 2002 had - you have to put in context with what else was going on at the time (e.g. Love Hina, etc.) There are aspects to Love Hina I enjoyed (in point, any time Motoko was onscreen) but the show was a rambling mess. The original Kanon left it in the dust (though they weren't really competing directly since one was supposed to be a slapstick comedy and the other a drama).

Probably most of you are too young to remember the explosive impact Star Wars had when it was released in 1977. The movie industry was a boring morass of jaded introspection at the time. Star Wars kicked it through the goalpost (which makes what was done with it in the last ten years by its creator an especially heinous crime). Kanon's appearance in 2002 had comparable ripples within the anime industry.

edit: hmmm, I apologize for my initial rating of Kanon2k6ep1 .... I was being too conservative after a single viewing. On subsequent viewing a lot of the KyoAni penchant for the little things came through. The VA Sugito's voice is just very rich here as well and <squeal> for Ayu.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-10-13 at 16:47.
Old 2010-07-02, 23:45   Link #175
OkamiNoKaze

Wow, looks like I'm really resurrecting this thread, Yeah I'm kinda going backwards as far as Maeda/Key adaptations. actualy I've already seen through the Makoto arc, on Anime Network, but they cut it short at that point when I watched it, but that was almost 3 years ago, so I started it all over again. This is a great first episode. Ayu always cracks me up.
Old 2010-07-06, 17:13   Link #176
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Wow, looks like I'm really resurrecting this thread, Yeah I'm kinda going backwards as far as Maeda/Key adaptations. actualy I've already seen through the Makoto arc, on Anime Network, but they cut it short at that point when I watched it, but that was almost 3 years ago, so I started it all over again. This is a great first episode. Ayu always cracks me up.
And here I was worried that I would be the one resurrecting this thread, as I'm also going backwards though the Maeda/Key series recently . Ayu was very interesting, and funny, I enjoyed the first episode. Also I couldn't help but notice how Yuuichi looks and sounds like Kyon , especially the scene with the many alarms clocks.

Edit: I forgot to say another beautiful opening song for a key series ^^.
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-07-06 at 17:50.
Closed Thread