AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-06-04, 08:09   Link #41
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Well, some of the exaggeration of some figure also doesn't help in knowing the true history of the period IMO. I mean, Zhuge Liang is definitely a very talented person, and arguably a genius, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't that dominating in the days and make the other figure fighting him looks inept like that.

Don't get me wrong, I like Zhuge Liang, and I still think he's arguably the most brilliant person in his era, but I'm pretty sure people like Zhou Yu, Lu Xun, or Sima Yi wasn't as bad as he was portrayed in the fictional novel of Luo Guanzhong that they basically get owned by Zhuge Liang over and over again.

If they deified Zhuge Liang like that, who knows who else were actually a talented general during the era and end up getting a bad name in the process of deifying people like Zhuge Liang.
It depend what you are reading, if you're basing your knowledge on Romance of Three Kingdom, then you'll get a lot of wrong info. It's a novel that was pegged 70% facts, 30% fiction. You need to read the actually historical records and detect what you believe as the truth.

Zhou Yu was completely villainfied in Romance, while Lu Xun was more of himself since he and Zhuge never faced each other. Sima Yi was also pretty true to his historical self as most of his accomplishment comes after Zhuge's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ck View Post
Yes this manga is brilliant and the author is a genius.

He twist the story so much yet somehow manage to match the novel version in general picture.

One thing I like about his thinking is someone who manage to be famous after all the years is never an idiot (能名留青史的人,怎么可能是个笨蛋。)

Yes, he does a very good job in striking a balance between the novel (Romance of Three Kingdom) and the facts (The Record of Three Kingdom) while filling in with he imagination.

BTW, that was one of my favorite quote in the series. Along with " no leader who give command of his troop to an incapable person"
Old 2011-06-04, 11:33   Link #42
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Meanwhile, in the latest Chapter, Zhang Liao impersonates Cao Cao, lure in Yuan Fang for a mano a mano. Who will survive ?

And Chen Mou really have a talent for spotting and quoting phrases in old chinese lifted from obscure classics. Here's the latest :- 考績篇 再曰:鷹不試則巧拙惑;馬不試則良駑疑

I'll love to see how will people translate them into modern english and yet retains the favor.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 12:00   Link #43
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Meanwhile, in the latest Chapter, Zhang Liao impersonates Cao Cao, lure in Yuan Fang for a mano a mano. Who will survive ?
actually none of them survive, all of them are dead as of today^^

but seriously, all 3kingdom readers already knew who will win... however the fun part is the process, Chen Mou always twist it and present us lots of surprises

looking at the speed of the story progress, he better live long enough to finish it
Old 2011-06-04, 12:16   Link #44
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Isn't this manga incredibly hard to follow?

I've read Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and even then, I lose track of whats happening after like 10 chapters...
Old 2011-06-04, 13:34   Link #45
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Isn't this manga incredibly hard to follow?

I've read Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and even then, I lose track of whats happening after like 10 chapters...
ah no, considering i was very familiar with the novel i had no problems following the manga. if you had issue with the novel i would suggest you start taking notes.
Old 2011-06-04, 13:37   Link #46
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
ah no, considering i was very familiar with the novel i had no problems following the manga. if you had issue with the novel i would suggest you start taking notes.
The characters look very similar and the plot seems to go all over the place.
Old 2011-06-04, 18:43   Link #47
Undertaker

His pretty boys and female figure do look similar, but you can always tell by what they wear, just as most other manga you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

And Chen Mou really have a talent for spotting and quoting phrases in old chinese lifted from obscure classics. Here's the latest :- 考績篇 再曰:鷹不試則巧拙惑;馬不試則良駑疑

I'll love to see how will people translate them into modern english and yet retains the favor.
Obviously Zhang Liao is going to live (he got to live through Battle of HeFei)

What I really interested in is exactly what is Yuan Fang's ultimate plan. Zhuge's student stated that one needs to live long enough to see realize that Yuan Fang was planning. And Yuan Fang also predicted Zhuge's future hardship. To me that show both knew what the other was thinking, and their interest does not collide, at least for the moment, otherwise he would have assainated Zhuge just like he did with his other schoolmates and Sima Yi.
Old 2011-06-04, 18:50   Link #48
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
The characters look very similar
no worse then a lot of other mangaka. if you visit Fairy Tail Manga thread there are all sort of jokes regard FT Geard and Rave Master Sieghart

Quote:
and the plot seems to go all over the place.
The plot points are all over the place because its base on historical people and event with some liberties taken by the mangaka.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-06-04 at 19:50.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 20:01   Link #49
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
no worse then a lot of other mangaka. if you visit Fairy Tail Manga thread there are all sort of jokes regard FT Geard and Rave Master Sieghart

The plot points are all over the place because its base on historical people and event with some liberties taken by the mangaka.
But the problem is there's like 10x the amount of characters there are in most other manga. It also switches from sub-story to sub-story really quickly, and if you don't know the story that well, you'll end up getting super confused.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 20:17   Link #50
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
But the problem is there's like 10x the amount of characters there are in most other manga. It also switches from sub-story to sub-story really quickly, and if you don't know the story that well, you'll end up getting super confused.
Take notes or use the notes form the manga. The Chinese manga has a glossary of characters, i am not sure if the English translations have them through. i the eng scan has them, use those.

And i can't emphasis this enough it is HISTORICAL manga. 99% of the name characters who appear in the manga are real people.
Old 2011-06-04, 20:30   Link #51
Undertaker

My suggest is make sure your head is clear when you dives in. Don't read too quickly and put you mind in the story itself. The main theme in this manga is "counter measures after a counter measure" and the key it to spot the details that links them together.
Old 2011-06-04, 20:53   Link #52
Xagzan

Quote:
Take notes or use the notes form the manga. The Chinese manga has a glossary of characters, i am not sure if the English translations have them through. i the eng scan has them, use those.

And i can't emphasis this enough it is HISTORICAL manga. 99% of the name characters who appear in the manga are real people.
English translation? Is it licensed in say the US then? Because I don't recall the scans I was reading having a glossary. Although for me it wasn't so much who they were that was tough, but what they were doing, what they wanted, who they were loyal to, and how they were related to all the other characters.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 21:48   Link #53
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:

I use wikipedia, but since it's now monthly, it's way too much hassle.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 21:49   Link #54
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
I use wikipedia, but since it's now monthly, it's way too much hassle.
it is bi-weekly. just that release have been very slow lately.
Old 2011-06-08, 23:29   Link #55
Undertaker

This has nothing to do with manga (at least not yet). I was playing Dynasty Warriors 7 just now as started the new Jin Dynasty story mode. Then mentioned that Xiahou Ba (Xiahou Yuan's son) fled to Shu after Sima Yi's coup against Cao Shuan.

I had a small chuckle when Sima Zhao commented how he can't fathom one fled to the country that was responsible for the death one's father. Shu and Wei's royal families were pretty messed up. (by today's standard) Cao and Xiahou clans were pretty much one and the same since they often marring clan daughter forom one to another. While lessor known but Liu Bei's daughters ends up as Cao Chun's (Cao Ren's brother) daughter-in-laws. Not only that, Xiahou Yuan's niece was Zhang Fei's wife and Xiahou Ba's cousin and her two daughter with Zhang Fei both ended up as Lui Shan's Empresses.
Old 2011-08-31, 19:52   Link #56
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

spoilers for 348

Spoiler:
Old 2011-10-19, 21:29   Link #57
Sol Falling

Just read some godly chapters from a godly manga, lol. Seems like a bunch of people here are reading the Chinese version, sadly I have to work with the translations. 341-348 just got released in one huge chunk, damn that was fun.

I read RotTK before, once, in English. I am not so familiar with the work except for the major characters. That's still enough to generally work out what's going on in the story though.

My favourite parts are the quotes and stuff that connect with what's happening. Feels so cultural, lol.

Anyway, I'm cheering for Cao Cao and Sima Yi, heh. I did that while reading the original novel too. The blatant revisionism and deification of Liu Bei/Zhuge Liang in the novel made it quite satisfying knowing that they would lose, lol. That's why this latest batch of chapters kicked ass, time for the comeback, lol.

If the Chinese releases are slow, the English ones seem to be coming out even slower...seems they're just waiting for the Tankoubon releases nowadays. This was still great though. I wanna find out what happens to Yuan Fang.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 21:42   Link #58
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Just read some godly chapters from a godly manga, lol. Seems like a bunch of people here are reading the Chinese version, sadly I have to work with the translations. 341-348 just got released in one huge chunk, damn that was fun.

I read RotTK before, once, in English. I am not so familiar with the work except for the major characters. That's still enough to generally work out what's going on in the story though.

My favourite parts are the quotes and stuff that connect with what's happening. Feels so cultural, lol.

Anyway, I'm cheering for Cao Cao and Sima Yi, heh. I did that while reading the original novel too. The blatant revisionism and deification of Liu Bei/Zhuge Liang in the novel made it quite satisfying knowing that they would lose, lol. That's why this latest batch of chapters kicked ass, time for the comeback, lol.

If the Chinese releases are slow, the English ones seem to be coming out even slower...seems they're just waiting for the Tankoubon releases nowadays. This was still great though. I wanna find out what happens to Yuan Fang.
if you read up to 348 you know what happen to him. 352 will be coming out this week, so the eng scans are not that far off.
Old 2011-10-20, 00:18   Link #59
Used Can

I miss Lu Bu. ;_;
Old 2011-10-20, 05:39   Link #60
giorno

zhang liao is a boss

and guo jia just fucked up yuan fang HARD...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote