Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-18, 20:15   Link #21
Ke0

Send a message via AIM to Ke0
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmoses-jones
damn i will go with 1500$ rent house then anyway i will be going there as a game designer hope there is company will accept me
I hate to break your heart, but 9:10 says you are not getting accepted in Japan. Why hire a American programmer when they have Japanese programmers? Unlike America were we are diverse (chuckles) Japan is still a pretty closed country.

You're the 3rd person today I've talked/read who wants to live in Japan and be a game designer/mangaka. I understand how you guys like Japanese culture and what not, but lets come back to reality, the only job you'll probably get is as a teacher. You're better off staying in America and visiting Japan. I think I understand what Snacky Chan is talking about now (ignore the Snacky Chan bit)
Ke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 02:03   Link #22
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke0
You're the 3rd person today I've talked/read who wants to live in Japan and be a game designer/mangaka. I understand how you guys like Japanese culture and what not, but lets come back to reality, the only job you'll probably get is as a teacher. You're better off staying in America and visiting Japan.
Or getting hired at an American (European/whatever) company with a division in Japan and transferring across, which was what I did. There was an opening, I was looking for a change, it was a good fit, and off I went. Not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Aren't the land part of the housing prices in your country? Part of the reason housing is expensive in metropolitan areas such as Tokyo and New York is the scarcity of land.
That and demand. People who are - are want to be thought of as being - chic usually want to live and been seen at the hot spots. Zoning can play a part is this also, but can't you get landrights but not have those dealing with things like airwave/broadcast rights?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 09:18   Link #23
Ramen Naruto
Shogun

Send a message via MSN to Ramen Naruto
just stay in the us build your own company and work with japan. ;-)
Ramen Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 20:17   Link #24
Entropy
Flame warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
If you do find a job in game development, you might be able to just sleep under your desk. I saw a interview with the guy whos making the Gran Turismo games and a bunch of the staff just sleep under their desks and get back to work when they wake up, I was pretty suprised. You'd think if they were that dedicated there would be like 20 Gran Turismo's already. They had a gym and a relaxation room I think too, probably also have a kitchen or something. Shower in their sinks and your all set. Good luck trying to get laid if you live under a desk though.
For the record,I believe that Alex Garden,Founder of Relic entertainment and now a CEO of THQ after getting 10 million from selling Relic to the publisher,slept under a desk during the pre-Homeworld days .

So I suppose it's not too uncommon .
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 11:31   Link #25
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
This site has pictures of apartments in the gallery section, but you have to register first to see them: http://ricoche.net/
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 12:09   Link #26
Shousha

Send a message via ICQ to Shousha Send a message via AIM to Shousha Send a message via MSN to Shousha Send a message via Yahoo to Shousha
I guess my hopes of creating my own fighting video game, which I planned to destroy the Street Fighter Saga... are over. That includes the one I had in mind to destroy the Final Fantasy World are over too.... *sighs*

Crap, I wanted to be the lead video-game designer of Capcom or hell even Squaresoft. =\

Now what should I do with this whole bunch of ideas??

Dammit.....!!! I want my own video game!!!!

*plays fighter maker and rpg maker some more* >.<
Shousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 14:51   Link #27
SweetJackie

Send a message via AIM to SweetJackie
I didn't know that it cost so much to rent a place in Japan, which makes living in the US a lot cheaper. My boyfriend and I rent a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment and it costs us $900 a month
SweetJackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 15:09   Link #28
Shousha

Send a message via ICQ to Shousha Send a message via AIM to Shousha Send a message via MSN to Shousha Send a message via Yahoo to Shousha
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJackie
I didn't know that it cost so much to rent a place in Japan, which makes living in the US a lot cheaper. My boyfriend and I rent a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment and it costs us $900 a month
Damn....!

I'm going to move out of my house (today to be precise) and I just rented this beautiful apt., with kitchen, living room and master room with my own bathroom, ligth (electricity) and water included, own parking with controlled access (beeper), own postal box (sp?), fridge and all the kitchen appliances included... for only $450.

can't wait.
Shousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 22:38   Link #29
Ke0

Send a message via AIM to Ke0
[QUOTE=LynnieS]Or getting hired at an American (European/whatever) company with a division in Japan and transferring across, which was what I did. There was an opening, I was looking for a change, it was a good fit, and off I went. Not a big deal.[/quotr]

While true, he wants to be a game designer/programmer. The Japanese divison is usually headed up and pretty much handled by Japanese with American intervention here and there, this isn't like other corporate type jobs.
Ke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 00:14   Link #30
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
Or getting hired at an American (European/whatever) company with a division in Japan and transferring across, which was what I did. There was an opening, I was looking for a change, it was a good fit, and off I went. Not a big deal.
While true, he wants to be a game designer/programmer. The Japanese divison is usually headed up and pretty much handled by Japanese with American intervention here and there, this isn't like other corporate type jobs.
Is that the case for game programming? Peculiar, IMHO. I would have thought that most companies with a global reach would be more interested in getting the best people possible for the jobs available and keeping those already working for the company to remain and not jump ship to its competitors.

It's not cheap to have to hire someone new; you lose, what, two people's time in the process? The first guy whose departure you have to fill, and an existing guy whose time will be taken up by helping and training the newbie. My best estimate on how much my transfer costs has it at least $35K for shipping, airfare, temporary housing, etc., and I'm a software programmer also. Granted, I don't work in the videogame industry, so your mileage will differ...

Thanks for the info, however.

Back onto topic. Housing costs are usually different in different regions, or heck, in different neighborhoods. Desirability, availability, schools, transportation, and so on all play a part; a loft in SoHo (NYC), for example, can go for millions while an entire brownstone building in parts of Harlem can (or used to be able to) be bought for that much if not less.

Last edited by LynnieS; 2004-08-23 at 01:01.
Old 2004-12-13, 05:24   Link #31
old timer

Suggestions on where to live in Tokyo?

Hi,

I'm planning on moving to Tokyo this coming year. I've been there a few times before (combinded duration of about 2 monthes), so I'm familiar with the basic geography. But I'm really looking for good suggestions on what neighborhoods to look for an apartment.

Mmm, more info? I'm late-20's, male, software developer. 1 year of Japanese (ごめん、にほんごで ききたかったですが。。。). I won't be working for a company in Japan (going indie!), so I'm basically free to live wherever. I currently live in Manhattan, so I'm used to expensive rent (though something like Roppongi Hills is way too expensive).

If you are native Japanese or foriegner living in Tokyo, your advice on what neighborhoods are good (and why) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 06:27   Link #32
LynnieS

Try asking on the JREF forums instead. I believe they have already compiled the information about various neighborhoods around the city that would be helpful. The best neighborhood in the last survey that... someone had posted was Naga-Meguro, but that was awhile ago. I wandered around the neighborhood, and it seemed nice with quiet narrow winding streets.

I will be honest, though, in saying that in my wanderings, no place in Tokyo really attracted me all that much. I'm much more happy close to transportation that's convenient.

Some bit of advice in advance:

Watch out for housing costs, however, as the initial ones will be expensive. Older buildings tend to be less in terms of rent, but the ones that I've seen during my apartment hunt weren't all that great. Cost-wise and quality-wise, IMHO. Appliances will also be a shock; I hadn't realized till I got here that I needed to get a washer/dryer, refridgerator, A/C unit, and ceiling lights. You should be able to buy fairly decent used stuff off of other people in sayonara sales, though.

Mobile service, you can get if you have a credit card and an alien registration card (that you get at your ward office); or at least, I got my DoCoMo phone that way. Pay as you go is an option as well, but with the "ore, ore" scams, they are cracking down on this.

Real estate agents may not deal with gaijins, especially if they don't speak Japanese; it's a bit too much trouble. There are temporary housing available that are geared toward foreigners, and some like Sakura House are, I've heard, quite good and reasonable in price.

The JREF people should have more information, however. Cheers.

Old 2004-12-13, 13:50   Link #33
old timer

Thanks for the tips!

Actually, I've checkout jref.com, and was asking here because I wanted the otaku-biased opinion...

Btw, what are "ore, ore" scams?
Old 2004-12-13, 14:36   Link #34
LynnieS

"Ore, ore"? Umm... It has someone who call up another person and tell the story that he's a lawyer (or a doctor and etc.) and a family member (son, grandkids, or such) has caused an accident. To make the situation go away, you have to deposit money into a bank account.

Now, it usually involves multiple people who pretend to be doctors, policemen, and so on, one after another, to make the person being scammed more stressed, which usually don't make people think straight.

By the time the person calms down and realizes that it was a scam, the money is usually gone, and not much of a trail left for the police to track.

I think it's also known as the "Hello, it's me" scam in English?

Old 2004-12-13, 15:18   Link #35
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
ummm
the url isnt the best choice, so hopefully this wont get deleted

but
http://www.fuckedgaijin.com/forums/i...ca638246765278

is a forum in which non jp people have stayed in japan for quite a while doing whatever the heck they do
not bad for info
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 15:25   Link #36
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
When I was in Tokyo I saw quite a few people living in cardboard boxes under blue tarps in a park not far from the Tokyo Tower. It didn't look like the most high class place but I suppose the price is right.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 17:28   Link #37
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
When I was in Tokyo I saw quite a few people living in cardboard boxes under blue tarps in a park not far from the Tokyo Tower. It didn't look like the most high class place but I suppose the price is right.
And you don't have to worry about appliances either!

Seriously, Can you be more specific in terms of where in Tokyo? There's 23 wards there - size approx all the buroughs in NY.

Anyway, since you are from Manhattan, check out this comparison of Manhattan with Tokyo:
http://www.mid-tokyo.com/map_e/

There was a Japanese Business Center in Lower Manhattan located at WTC before 9/11. They had info regarding expatriots moving to Tokyo for work. I heard that they may have moved to Jersey near the PATH. They had great info regarding every aspect of relocating to Japan from finding housing, education, culture, etc. - We used it a few times and they were very helpful.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 18:14   Link #38
old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Seriously, Can you be more specific in terms of where in Tokyo? There's 23 wards there - size approx all the buroughs in NY.
Heh, no kidding! I'd like to live somewhat centrally, but beyond that I'm open. Anyway, there's no way I can get the magic forum response with the perfect neighborhood for me - so I'm more interested in what neighborhoods you like and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Anyway, since you are from Manhattan, check out this comparison of Manhattan with Tokyo:
http://www.mid-tokyo.com/map_e/
Ahh, quite slick - thanks!
Old 2004-12-13, 22:51   Link #39
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer
Heh, no kidding! I'd like to live somewhat centrally, but beyond that I'm open. Anyway, there's no way I can get the magic forum response with the perfect neighborhood for me - so I'm more interested in what neighborhoods you like and why.
Central Tokyo? If you mean the parts of Tokyo that are inside the Yamanote loop, the area is usually more expensive than outside of the loop. Public transportation in Tokyo (and other parts of Japan) is usually on schedule. You do not get the same arrival times that happen for the NYC subway system; when they say 9:05 for the next train, they mean 9:05 +/-30 seconds.

Do you want to be near foreigners? I suspect that Roppangi, Harajuku/Yoyogi or Yokohama would be best for such a person. Modern places like Manhattan, probably the Ginza district. And so on.

Old 2004-12-14, 09:29   Link #40
Ending

I simply cannot understand why anyone would be willing to pay 2000+ euros per MONTH just so they can live in a tiny cubicle in middle of a city. Why does it have to be Tokyo, the most expensive city in the world?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote