AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 04
10: Amazing... 5 7.58%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 9 13.64%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 25 37.88%
7 out of 10: Good... 13 19.70%
6 out of 10: Average... 8 12.12%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 2 3.03%
4 out of 10: Poor... 1 1.52%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 1.52%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 1.52%
1 out of 10: Tortuous... 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-31, 08:19   Link #81
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I doubt they actually don't know what they really are. "Unknown Enemy" just reeks of PR nonsense.
Old 2011-10-31, 08:43   Link #82
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
If only more people can accept this. But I guess they're just happier creating things in their mind to hate the show more.

Such sad people.
Personally I don't think Woolf has any dog ears at all thats just probably how his hair is styled...

You know I remember back not too long ago mind you when people just sat back and enjoyed an anime. Taking the good with the not so good and being happy to just get a new series to watch. Because back then you either had to wait for a series to be put on tv (with a high chance of it going unfinished) or mail order crappy VHS that lord only knows where they came from.

However people have become spoiled since the internet had open the flood gates giving access to hundreds/thousands of series many individuals sense of disbelief has drowned with this new found source of wealth. Now that we have more selections people have forgotten about the hard times and can now without a care in a world because they can just move on to the next.

Now going back to Gundam ever since Sunrise and Bandai strayed away form the UC universe fans have been bitching and moaning ever since. However I believe it's gotten even worse with AGE because people are afraid they don't want AGE to be popular out of fear that it would change the Gundam franchise into a kids show saying that its going to dumb down the brutality of war etc. Which that in itself is silly because the only reason the Gundam anime was created was to sell toys to kids and as fare as I can see AGE hasn't seem to dumbed anything down yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Emily... god damn it women, stop worrying.
Like I said in the romance thread just like a women...
Old 2011-10-31, 09:28   Link #83
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

I gave the episode an 8, even though it's more of a 7. Nothing really special happened in the first half. The second was more entertaining. We saw the UE's ship and Woolf showed some skill in terms of surviving. I hope his Genoace Custom will perform better in future episodes, though. So far, I like him.

What I've found weird was Flit in this ep. Don't know why, but his behavior was off this time, with claiming it was his gundam and all. But he's still a kid after all, as seen with interactions with Woolf, so it's cool I guess.

I noticed alot of people seem to dislike Emily in this ep. The girl just cares for Flit, I'm cool with that. I actually find it very sweet of her to make sure Flit's safe.

Well, looking forward to next week^^
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 09:52   Link #84
KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM

I give the episode an 8. It was more about character development than anything else and I liked that.

Glad to see that Flit was having trouble with Woolf, though he did recover faster than I thought he would against an "ace".

Woolf himself... he needs to get a new nickname cause The White Wolf is taken and not by someone who likes to pridefully boast and stuff. I do hope we delve more into his character and he becomes more fleshed out. He did show a high degree of resourcefulness on the field and he knows to keep his cool and knows his limits. Flit needs to learn some pointers from him.

Emily shows that while she is caring she can be quite selfish. We saw that in the first episode but that more apparent here. A stubborn but average 14 year old girl that has a crush on her childhood friend. A cliche they never get tried of using. Well I like it so long as its subtle and not in your face obvious.

Its the ending that interest me. I've seen on the blog fourms that one of the makers of Age posted on his tweet what the UE was. I hope its wrong cause that means I spoiled it BIG TIME for myself.
KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 09:53   Link #85
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 View Post
What I've found weird was Flit in this ep. Don't know why, but his behavior was off this time, with claiming it was his gundam and all. But he's still a kid after all, as seen with interactions with Woolf, so it's cool I guess.
It is probably his rush talking, apparently for some people it is additive to kill/destroy things. Others get their rush from racing, skydiving etc. I reckon Flit licked some blood and like the taste of it ^^

Last edited by Sides; 2011-10-31 at 11:22. Reason: typpo
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 09:57   Link #86
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I hope so, but it's difficult to suspend ones expectations so far as to forgive things like simple exposition...My main problem with this episode is the way Wolf is indoctrinated into the story with the obvious goal of providing Flit with his Mwu la Flaga or what have you at just a break neck pace...They just sandwiched 3 eps of development into a badly executed practice battle inwhich nothing at all in-terms of protocol seems acceptable to me (It literally went, Dude from DeepSleep-Hello kiddies-Gimme the Gundam- Now We're friends)...
I'll agree that Woolf's introduction was bit rushed but considering how much time they wasted with them getting out of the colony it seemed like as good of a place as any to make up ground.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 10:13   Link #87
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM View Post
Its the ending that interest me. I've seen on the blog fourms that one of the makers of Age posted on his tweet what the UE was. I hope its wrong cause that means I spoiled it BIG TIME for myself.
Can you post the details on the Age - Spoilers thread?
Old 2011-10-31, 11:18   Link #88
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
It is probably his rush talking, apparently from some people it is additive to kill/destroy something. Others get their rush from racing, skydiving etc. I reckon Flit licked some blood and like the taste of it ^^
That's probably it XD
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 11:31   Link #89
klare

we get to see the mothership of UE, but they seems like only have MS

Woolf looks more interesting than Flit so far
Old 2011-10-31, 11:51   Link #90
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
8/10. Womanizer, Ace, Team leader: Wolf stole the show. If he had woke up from the healing sleep earlier, he could have wipe-out the UE right at Nora with AGE-1 and end the show. Reminds me of Bernard Monsha; outright made a move on Miles and claimed the Gundam.

Funny that the AGE System has no Wifi to transfer combat data. But the best scene would be the Grafran "shaving" scene.
Except Monsha was a straight up foul mouthed pervert. Woolf is just annoying as hell.

I can't say I'm pleased with this series thus far. It started out interesting, but now it's just tanked. Paintball battles in space and zero advancement of the plot, this stuff is getting painful. Seven days until they reach Fardain? Oi... taking literal space travel times too seriously. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but when I watched this ep a couple hours after it aired, I literally went "What? It's over already?".
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 12:15   Link #91
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Personally I don't think Woolf has any dog ears at all thats just probably how his hair is styled...

You know I remember back not too long ago mind you when people just sat back and enjoyed an anime. Taking the good with the not so good and being happy to just get a new series to watch. Because back then you either had to wait for a series to be put on tv (with a high chance of it going unfinished) or mail order crappy VHS that lord only knows where they came from.

However people have become spoiled since the internet had open the flood gates giving access to hundreds/thousands of series many individuals sense of disbelief has drowned with this new found source of wealth. Now that we have more selections people have forgotten about the hard times and can now without a care in a world because they can just move on to the next.

Now going back to Gundam ever since Sunrise and Bandai strayed away form the UC universe fans have been bitching and moaning ever since. However I believe it's gotten even worse with AGE because people are afraid they don't want AGE to be popular out of fear that it would change the Gundam franchise into a kids show saying that its going to dumb down the brutality of war etc. Which that in itself is silly because the only reason the Gundam anime was created was to sell toys to kids and as fare as I can see AGE hasn't seem to dumbed anything down yet.
Not everybody has to like the same stuff, it mostly comes down to how aggressive they are about it. So far nobody has outright spammed the thread with constant whining and negativity except for one who isn't posting anymore, which is really all I ever asked for cause that's what annoyed me with 00.

I think some people take it as a sworn duty to bitch about and find fault with whatever the latest Gundam series is and take some perverse pleasure in doing so, but like I said, right now it's pretty tame here. If worse comes to worse the whiners and moaners have clearly established who they are (and have for a while now ^^^) and can be reported as necessary if they decide to break the rules. So far nobody has taken it to the extreme this week so personally I'm okay even if most of the complaints seem utterly trivial to me and more of the usual expecting a show to be something it never intended to be.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 13:35   Link #92
KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
It is probably his rush talking, apparently for some people it is additive to kill/destroy things. Others get their rush from racing, skydiving etc. I reckon Flit licked some blood and like the taste of it ^^
That or he's just attached and doesn't want to let it go. Not surprising really, the Gundam is his baby -so to speak- and he's been doing moderately well as its pilot so far. His reaction is what I expect of a 14 year old and Woolf was being an egocentric jerk. If I was Flit, age and all, I'd react the same way though I would be a bit more violent and angry.

Although blood does taste good, especially with adrenaline.
KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 17:23   Link #93
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

soooooo... Gundam age.. I just watched the first 4 episodes.. had some free time and hey, this is still Gundam. (right?)

First episode was underwhelming, I didn't get the introduction to this new universe I was hoping for. I didn't feel the action, the emergency, but most importantly, the Gundam itself felt very plain.. Not powerful, or dangerous, or mysterious.. The enemy units completely stole the show! they were everything the Gundam should have been.

second and third episodes were better. but still kind of underwhelming. old man died. kids saves people. suspicious cute girl being suspicious. (she is going to die! we all know this. xD).. hmm. I already kind of forgot everything else.. wait, did anything happen other than this?

episode no.4: Wolf guy... lolz..

- music is decent (should get better). I like the OP, reminded me of 'wings of words' from Destiny. The ending is your average j-pop song.
- Animation is great, sometimes even awesome!
- I like the interface graphics.
- The enemy MS

Dislikes:
- Character design. (Not just the kids, I don't like any of the characters designs, too plain.)
- Gundam
- the story and the characters! ..Need more layers. this is too thin for a Gundam show, even if it's aimed at a younger audience.. By the way, how exactly is this going to work? there is not enough action and explosions in this show to get a kids attention. but there is not enough depth for the average adult. who exactly is going to watch this? (other than us, the Gundam fans) How are the ratings so far?
Old 2011-10-31, 17:25   Link #94
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
and zero advancement of the plot
This weeks episode had character development and plot advancement with learning more about the enemy. I'd hardly call that zero.
Old 2011-10-31, 17:35   Link #95
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
This weeks episode had character development and plot advancement with learning more about the enemy. I'd hardly call that zero.
Plot advancement? Where? We had spaceballs, I mean paintball in outer space with "omg the UE can hide themselves!". And if you want to consider an annoying halfwit and more revealing traits of a whiny prepubescent teen "character development", by all means...
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 17:44   Link #96
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Plot advancement? Where? We had spaceballs, I mean paintball in outer space with "omg the UE can hide themselves!". And if you want to consider an annoying halfwit and more revealing traits of a whiny prepubescent teen "character development", by all means...
implying Gundam AGE is the first to ever have that.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 18:09   Link #97
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
implying Gundam AGE is the first to ever have that.
Exactly what i was going to say.

But yeah, guess this is expected from Deacon Blues?
Old 2011-10-31, 18:27   Link #98
brightman
Ancient Member

I am fine with the action - its very UC-like, that is, small-scale and slower than other AU's. I can see why people say that they lack in excitement though (and I would imagine that is one of the reasons for the show's complete lack of popularity with kids thus far...), but I really don't mind it. Its very nostalgic in a way.

As for story development - same thing there, its no different from how most Gundam series start. Right now, its about exposition and introducing characters, not crazy plot progression and twists that are usually reserved for mid-to-late series.

Are the story and worldview simple though? I would say yes they are, at least so far. The Advanced Generation world does seem a bit generic compared to other Gundam timelines. But I've said this before - the reason for that is due to the enemy, which is shrouded in mystery, and they still have 40-something episodes left to unveil these guys. I am sure once they are fully revealed we should see more exotic things about this timeline, whatever that is.

Another point is that the world should probably also change with the changing of the generations. So it would be interesting to see how that develops.

So yeah, I do admit it's a bit bland so far, and they seem to be trying to appealing to the common denominator to the detriment of the show, but I am definitely optimistic that it will get better... Someone at Sunrise is probably watching the ratings very closely too.
Old 2011-10-31, 18:32   Link #99
PzIVf3

Woolf can be annoying but he's leadership quality, motivating to the untrained stress kid pilot and quick decision making in the battlefield is excellent.

I hope Woolf gives Flit some more basic military mock-up training and instruction guidance to mentally prepared for the stress in the warfare.

Last edited by PzIVf3; 2011-10-31 at 18:52.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 18:42   Link #100
Ramp
Router

Quote:
Except Monsha was a straight up foul mouthed pervert. Woolf is just annoying as hell.

I can't say I'm pleased with this series thus far. It started out interesting, but now it's just tanked. Paintball battles in space and zero advancement of the plot, this stuff is getting painful. Seven days until they reach Fardain? Oi... taking literal space travel times too seriously. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but when I watched this ep a couple hours after it aired, I literally went "What? It's over already?".
Same feelings here, been trying really hard to like this, however the cliches and style just becomes more irritating. Going from wing, seed/sd, 00 back to this just leaves a very bad taste. Here's to hoping the next 2-3 episodes will somehow save this.
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion