AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-04-06, 20:08   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

How do you watch fansubs from a PC on a PS3 (using wifi)?

I noticed that when I go to video in the main hub of my PS3, it recognizes my PC; communicating to it wirelessly. This makes me think that I could watch fansubs off of my PS3 using the remote. I saw that my PS3 also recognizes my PC under the photo section.

How can I, via wifi, allow content on my PC to display/play on my HDTV via a PS3? It seems like this can be done, but I have no idea how to do it. Anyone know what to do?
Old 2013-04-06, 20:14   Link #2
iceyfw

google ps3 media server. it'll transcode the media file from your pc to your ps3. i used it in the past but found it too much of a hassle when it came to displaying subs on my HDTV. cutoffs and such and making sure it wouldn't do so for other files as well. my time was spent better elsewhere.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 16:40   Link #3
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The keyword is 'UPnP'.

There are a host of apps (windows and other too) that provide this service.
Windows 7 (and I guess 8) have this right out of the box too.

They all work by the same principle.
- You choose some files/folders you want to share on the UPnP server side.
- Then the server will present this library on the network (it will show up in UPnP clients, like the PS3). A client can then request a file. the server will render it with the target clients specs, so right resolution and so on.

I am not quite sure about this, but it seems the server does some part of the rendering, which means the client does not need all of the codecs to play the file. However there are a lot of movies my TV (also an UPnP device) can not play because of 'unsupported format'.
On some files, the video stream works, but the audio fails.

Subtitles should work in theory.
My phone recieves soft subs over UPnP just fine.
My TV however does not even have an option to switch them on.
With UPnP devices you are usually stuck with whatever implementation you got on the client side. And some of these are just horrible. I don't know about the one inside the PS3. In the end, that would be the deciding factor.

It does kinda work, but it's really not a complete solution. You will watch some movies jsut fine and then some will require tinkering every now and then.

In the end I just went with a Linux box running XBMC on the client side and an NAS serving files over samba.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 05:33   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
The keyword is 'UPnP'.
Actually more specifically the keyword is DLNA, which uses uPnP.

PS3 Media Server is basically a DLNA server, and a PS3 is a DLNA client. But there are many more DLNA servers and clients (hardware and software).

For example my sister has a Philips "Internet" TV that supports DLNA so I set up PS3 Media Server on her laptop so that she could watch downloaded TV series directly on her TV.

Relevant PS3 Manual section:
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...nnectdlna.html
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote