AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-08-14, 05:02   Link #2281
rakusukira

what happened to Shinn's character was..... maybe all about the popularity polls.... or.... it was just how the entire story was MEANT to be..

we are not Fukuda or Morosawa so we will NEVER know the answer..

Spoiler for OHMYGOD:
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 13:56   Link #2282
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
IMO, Fukuda is to Gundam as Joel Schumacher is to Batman.
Joel Shumacher made the second most successful Batman movie, influenced the next decade of movies, and made some of the most popular character of the decade?

You can claim that Fukuda is a bad director, you can claim that the popularity of Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny where not warranted, but you can't claim that the series was not hugely popular. You can't possibly deny that Lacus Clyne, Kira Yamato, Athrun Zala, and Cagalli Yuna Atha where 4 of the most popular characters in the past decade. Kira Yamato was the first character to be able to challenge Char's popularity. Look at Newtype polls, look at Animage's reader chosen awards, Gundam Seed/GSD dominated both.

Last edited by Charred Knight; 2011-08-14 at 17:32.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 16:21   Link #2283
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Fukuda shoots off his mouth at the wedding news :-

Rough translation :-

Quote:
During Destiny, I always knew Maaya had her eyes on someone. But I never thought that it will be Suzumura. Looks like I was mistaken there
And after being flammed on Twitter for this comment he goes on a rant on some of his...."personal wisdom" on what is regarded as right or wrong :-
OH wow that's fuc*ing stupid!
This is what he should have said:
"During Destiny, I always knew Maaya had her eyes on someone. But I never thought that it will be Suzumura.. This makes NO sense to me! Probably just like how Lunamaria x Shinn made no sense to SEED fans.. OW SH*T!"
Old 2011-08-16, 07:12   Link #2284
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
OH wow that's fuc*ing stupid!
This is what he should have said:
"During Destiny, I always knew Maaya had her eyes on someone. But I never thought that it will be Suzumura.. This makes NO sense to me! Probably just like how Lunamaria x Shinn made no sense to SEED fans.. OW SH*T!"
& yet years later right now both shinn & lunamaria seiyu are now married?

can you say destiny of GS era was behind it as well?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 22:30   Link #2285
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Joel Shumacher made the second most successful Batman movie, influenced the next decade of movies, and made some of the most popular character of the decade?

You can claim that Fukuda is a bad director, you can claim that the popularity of Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny where not warranted, but you can't claim that the series was not hugely popular. You can't possibly deny that Lacus Clyne, Kira Yamato, Athrun Zala, and Cagalli Yuna Atha where 4 of the most popular characters in the past decade. Kira Yamato was the first character to be able to challenge Char's popularity. Look at Newtype polls, look at Animage's reader chosen awards, Gundam Seed/GSD dominated both.
The problem is that Fukuda hasn't been involved in anime for a couple of years after GSD was finished (though it can be argued that he's taking care of his wife).

Also, the Newtype and Animage Reader's Choice polls, as with most "reader's choice" polls, are very much a joke.

I can also argue that GSD, or at least midway throughout the series, suffered through the same Executive Meddling that Victory, Wing, X, and recently, 00, went through. At the time, GSD was going against Full Metal Alchemist. On Seed, Fukuda said that the producers were lenient on him.
Old 2011-08-17, 04:25   Link #2286
Charred Knight

Gundam Seed Destiny never went against Fullmetal Alchemist! They where in the exact same timeslot, and Gundam Seed Destiny came on after Fullmetal Alchemist finished (the massive success of those three shows gave that timeslot a legendary appeal that was immediately squashed by Blood+).

You think the reader polls are jokes only because they disagree with your view that Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny where not hugely popular.
Old 2011-08-17, 09:58   Link #2287
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:

You think the reader polls are jokes only because they disagree with your view that Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny where not hugely popular.
I know it's popular among Japanese audiences, but how well was it received among professional critics in Japan (i.e., the Japanese equivalent of Roger Ebert, Leonard Maltin, etc.)?

When it comes to popularity, GSD is to Japan as the Twilight series is to the US.
Old 2011-08-17, 11:16   Link #2288
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
I know it's popular among Japanese audiences, but how well was it received among professional critics in Japan
FATkuda won several Animeprix awarad in his lifetime. Two out of three awards presented to him were for SEED & DESTINY, so that may be some indication of critics' opinion. But undeniably, DESTINY also serves as the butt of many jokes in Japan.

Quote:
When it comes to popularity, GSD is to Japan as the Twilight series is to the US.
I doubt its popularity will persist for a decade.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 11:37   Link #2289
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
FATkuda won several Animeprix awarad in his lifetime. Two out of three awards presented to him were for SEED & DESTINY, so that may be some indication of critics' opinion. But undeniably, DESTINY also serves as the butt of many jokes in Japan.

I doubt its popularity will persist for a decade.

- Tak
Three out of four where won by Seed, and Seed Destiny, Gundam Seed Destiny won the Anime Grand Prix twice. Fukuda holds the record for Director with the most Anime Grand Prix wins with Hayao Miyazaki and Hideaki Anno.
Old 2011-08-17, 15:34   Link #2290
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Three out of four where won by Seed, and Seed Destiny, Gundam Seed Destiny won the Anime Grand Prix twice. Fukuda holds the record for Director with the most Anime Grand Prix wins with Hayao Miyazaki and Hideaki Anno.
I guessing that back then, when that award actually meant something.

Also, about the Anime Grand Prix Awards, are they anime's equivalent of the Oscars?

Finally, and I've mentioned it already, Fukuda hasn't done anything notable in anime after the GSD Specials were completed, and again, it's prolly because he's taking of his sick wife, and, based on recent pics of him, I'm guessing that he's been giving lectures at various colleges in Japan.

And to play Devil's Advocate, did GSD prolly suffer from the same Executive Meddling that some past Gundam works went through (e.g., Kira being thrust back into the spotlight because he was still over with the Japanese audience and Shinn not getting over as Sunrise expected)?

Last edited by Washu-Chan; 2011-08-19 at 01:26.
Washu-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 19:48   Link #2291
tetsuo69

still no news on movie ? this sucks
Old 2011-08-17, 23:34   Link #2292
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69 View Post
still no news on movie ? this sucks
If he ever does a movie, lets hope he does so with some sanity, or we will end up with something as depressing and demented as V Gundam.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 23:58   Link #2293
Washu-Chan