AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-14, 10:20   Link #26981
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
In other news, Vernoica Mars is getting a movie after smashing the record books on Kickstarter.

I wasn't ever a big fan of the show (though do really enjoy watching Bell on screen), but it's interesting to see a cult favorite TV series succeed in resurrecting itself for a movie at least, via crowdfunding (and the potential for other cult favorite tv shows to get around being axed is intriguing). Though I have to wonder what kind of movie $2 million actually allows you to make (Bell alone would probably cost more than that if this was any other movie, I'd assume). I'm hoping the $2 million was more for leverage to show there was real interest for the project to get other potential donors and investors to back the film, than a, "we're going to make a $2 million movie".
$500,000 is the baseline for a decent production (imo). Kristin Bell was recently seen in "Safety Not Guaranteed", an extremely well reviewed film made for only $750,000. An episode of "Veronica Mars" would have probably cost $600,000 (more likely $400,000 if not a little lower).

Depending on what type of Veronica Mars story they are trying to tell, $2 million should be more than enough, but I expect it is just the distribution leverage as you've said.

edit: If nothing else, it is an interesting example of what Kickstarter can do, though I am loathe to say that it is a positive example (fans just, more or less, paid Warner Bros to make a movie, and then they will pay to see the finished result) and I fear how this type of marketing will be used in the future (I also fear how this will affect the creative process if the creators literally feel beholden to the fans).

Last edited by james0246; 2013-03-14 at 16:49.
Old 2013-03-14, 10:50   Link #26982
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Not exactly a Catholic politics junkie, but another theological conservative?

In a time of great moral crisis, that's the battle the Church picks? Gays and contraceptives?

How about reform? How about openness and transparency? How about making their inroads into the Global South -- symbolized by the election of this Argentine -- really count by aligning with the world's poor? Liberation theology is still a taboo...

Humble "good guys" do shit to save the world, lead by example or not. This Pope does not appear to be a fervent reformer. Well, I hope I'll be badly proven wrong and Francis will prove as momentous as John Paul II, and less conservative. I wouldn't bet my money on it though.
I'm just not entirely sure the liberal mindset matters all that much to them. They're losing ground to more conservative, more fundamentalist Christians in several parts of the world. They're probably afraid of further alienating people in openly reforming. I'd say the most "liberal" Catholics tend to care the least about their religion.
Old 2013-03-14, 11:05   Link #26983
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama tries new tack with Israel, appealing to wary public
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92D06O20130314
Old 2013-03-14, 13:31   Link #26984
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Some leading Argentine human rights activists agree that Bergoglio doesn’t deserve to be lumped together with other church figures who were closely aligned with the dictatorship.

“Perhaps he didn’t have the courage of other priests, but he never collaborated with the dictatorship,” Adolfo Perez Esquivel, who won the 1980 Nobel Peace Prize for documenting the junta’s atrocities, said Thursday. “Bergoglio was no accomplice of the dictatorship. He can’t be accused of that,” Perez Esquivel told Radio de la Red in Buenos Aires.

Other activists are angry over the positions Bergoglio, 76, has taken in recent years, as Argentina pursues investigations aimed at exposing those responsible for killing as many as 30,000 people, and finding traces of their victims. Some say he’s been more concerned about preserving the church’s image than providing evidence for Argentina’s many human rights trials.

“There’s hypocrisy here when it comes to the church’s conduct, and with Bergoglio in particular,” said Estela de la Cuadra, whose mother co-founded the Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo activist group during the dictatorship to search for missing family members. “There are trials of all kinds now, and Bergoglio systematically refuses to support them.”

Bergoglio twice invoked his right under Argentine law to refuse to appear in open court in trials involving torture and murder inside the feared Navy Mechanics School and the theft of babies from detainees. When he eventually did testify in 2010, his answers were evasive, human rights attorney Myriam Bregman told the AP.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...399_story.html
Old 2013-03-15, 04:01   Link #26985
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Australia shuts large child sex exploitation ring

Quote:
Australian Federal Police arrested and charged 21 people aged between 22 and 76 from around the country but would not give any further details about them beyond saying they were from all walks of life.
Poor SH....
Old 2013-03-15, 05:56   Link #26986
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Japan seeks to join U.S.-led Pacific trade talks, reform hopes rise

TPP bringing reform hopes? You got to be kidding me.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-03-15, 05:58   Link #26987
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Liberal governor engulfed by Putin's Russia
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92E08J20130315
Old 2013-03-15, 09:06   Link #26988
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Younger Generations Lag Parents in Wealth-Building

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Pearl Brady has a stable job with good benefits and holds two degrees, a bachelor’s and a master’s. But despite her best efforts, she has no savings, and worries that it will be years before she manages to start putting away money for a house, children and eventually retirement.
“I’m in that extremely nervous category,” said Ms. Brady, 28, a Brooklynite who works for a union. “I know how much money I’m going to be making for the near term. I hope in my 30s and 40s to be able to save, but I have no idea how. It’s scary.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/15/bu...html?hpw&_r=1&

Old 2013-03-15, 10:02   Link #26989
willx
Nyaaan~~

Yeah, the economy is on uneven footing, retiree/pensioner and overleveraged consumer are a burden .. basically "no shit, sherlock!"

Things.. things are.. a chaaangin' o/~
Old 2013-03-15, 11:36   Link #26990
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Japan seeks to join U.S.-led Pacific trade talks, reform hopes rise

TPP bringing reform hopes? You got to be kidding me.
Even Straits Times published a letter claiming America's interest lobbys' IP demands will kill us all
Old 2013-03-15, 17:14   Link #26991
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I am really tempted to put this in "A laugh a day", but I suppose someone might disagree, I think this is so dumb it is hilarious:

man uses gun instead of hand

A federal prison guard has been charged with shooting his own finger in a drunken attempt to remove his wedding ring during an argument with his wife at their northwestern Pennsylvania home
Old 2013-03-15, 23:32   Link #26992
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Woman killed, child raped in NY mall carjacking
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-15-18-27-57
Old 2013-03-15, 23:39   Link #26993
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Such a tragedy.

It's in times like these that I keep wondering when we'll start using GPS implants that get stuck into the bone (if not the bone marrow) and that are removable only by a surgery procedure conducted by experts for such.
Old 2013-03-16, 09:16   Link #26994
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2013-03-16, 09:34   Link #26995
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Such a tragedy.

It's in times like these that I keep wondering when we'll start using GPS implants that get stuck into the bone (if not the bone marrow) and that are removable only by a surgery procedure conducted by experts for such.
I think many people will object based on privacy. Wouldn't take long to get unwanted people tracking somebody's signal and whatnot.
Old 2013-03-16, 09:37   Link #26996
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think he meant for suspects. The guy had an ankle bracelet.
Old 2013-03-16, 10:22   Link #26997
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think he meant for suspects. The guy had an ankle bracelet.
This.

At least make it really really hard for such people to remove their tracking devices.
Old 2013-03-16, 10:52   Link #26998
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
This.

At least make it really really hard for such people to remove their tracking devices.
... like in the movie The Running Man.
Old 2013-03-16, 12:42   Link #26999
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
This.

Tbh, in cases of people like that guy, I'm fine with neck collars with explosives

Also, I say they should put that guy back in general population.
Old 2013-03-16, 14:22   Link #27000
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm fine with just not releasing him. I wouldn't want him held without bail or trial for years or anything, but did they have to let him leave at all?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international