AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-05-11, 10:40   Link #1261
Ypocaramel

Eh, so NSF takes up as much time as they say eh?
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 10:44   Link #1262
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

I only get about 3 hours of freetime everyday (or using worktime to translate, if I can. Baka Test was translated entirely during work time, so there are plenty of typos on it.).

Good thing for you guys though, I didn't end up going to train and try to get Laura's rank, health issues forced me to remain a private till now (or else I could have quit translating altogether in July last year, since once I get Laura's rank, I practically won't have any freetime left)

PS: You do know that I tried to keep the post 'relevant' by putting Laura's name in, right?
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 11:06   Link #1263
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
I only get about 3 hours of freetime everyday (or using worktime to translate, if I can. Baka Test was translated entirely during work time, so there are plenty of typos on it.).

Good thing for you guys though, I didn't end up going to train and try to get Laura's rank, health issues forced me to remain a private till now (or else I could have quit translating altogether in July last year, since once I get Laura's rank, I practically won't have any freetime left)

PS: You do know that I tried to keep the post 'relevant' by putting Laura's name in, right?
figures.... lol....

well lets hope if IS starts picking up moar TLers...
Old 2011-05-11, 15:33   Link #1264
Sumeragi
Banned

I would be able to translate if I have the text versions of the novels.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 17:21   Link #1265
Javiersansano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I would be able to translate if I have the text versions of the novels.
Why do you specifically need the txt version?
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 17:53   Link #1266
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
Why do you specifically need the txt version?
It's easier to copy-paste so you can read the romajis...that's my case. also useful when you copy-paste to an online dictionnary.
Old 2011-05-11, 17:56   Link #1267
Javiersansano

oh, i get it
Old 2011-05-11, 20:09   Link #1268
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
ha! my knowledge of japanese extends to absolutely nothing! mwahahaha!!!
- Katakana isn't hard. It's basically used for words that AREN'T Japanese to begin with, usually. If it's a Japanese word but they don't know the kanji for it (or the author is deliberately being vague), they use Hiragana.

I'd say people who can read mandarin chinese (the old version, not the simplified one) only need to learn the nuances of hiragana in order to understand/translate most average Japanese texts.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 21:31   Link #1269
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:

oh you
Old 2011-05-11, 21:40   Link #1270
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Katakana isn't hard. It's basically used for words that AREN'T Japanese to begin with, usually. If it's a Japanese word but they don't know the kanji for it (or the author is deliberately being vague), they use Hiragana.

I'd say people who can read mandarin chinese (the old version, not the simplified one) only need to learn the nuances of hiragana in order to understand/translate most average Japanese texts.
Not entirely true. There's also the grammar problem and Japanese grammar is quite complicated compared to Chinese. Still, it will be a lot easier though since a lot of kanji has the same meaning as Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post

Wait, you plan to make a career in the military? I thought you joined the military solely because of the compulsory draft

Back to the topic though, chapter 3 of vol 6 should be done in around tomorrow, 2 days later at the latest. After that I'll concentrate finish baka to test chapter 1 first before continuing with chapter 4.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 22:05   Link #1271
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Back on-topic: If Tabane created the first Golem seen (the one in the early novels and shown in the anime), then she would have created the others, right? It fits--she's the only one capable of making new cores.

Thing is, is it solely to test the abilities of the personal IS? Putting in a system that makes the damn Golems outright lethal to an IS user (the ability to circumvent shields) is pretty irresponsible--then again, Tabane's already way into mad scientist territory. There's a strong possibility that Tabane's golems have only figured for the capabhility of Akatsubaki and Byakushiki being able to deal with them, and not so much other Personal IS? Or else she's overestimated the capacities of the other pilots.

...either way, Tabane's been known to gloss over things she sees as minor quirks (like the IS being for women only)--assumign she's telling the truth about that.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2011-05-11 at 22:16.
Old 2011-05-11, 22:10   Link #1272
Javiersansano

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Back on-topic: If Tabane created the first Golem seen (the one in the early novels and shown in the anime), then she would have created the others, right? It fits--she's the only one capable of making new cores.

Thing is, is it solely to test the abilities of the personal IS? Putting in a system that makes the damn Golems outright lethal to an IS user (the ability to circumvent shields) is pretty irresponsible--then again, Tabane's already way into mad scientist territory.
which is I would like it if she was finally outsmarted and USE HER..................I'm guessing tht it should be squall with phantom task, so as to alter their stolen IS for the final confrontation in the whole story
Old 2011-05-11, 22:22   Link #1273
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Actually, I'm almost tempted to try and put myself in Tabane's shoes, figure out what she's thinking. Most true geniuses are crazy, it's just a matter of how crazy. Because if you can think like that genius, you may be able to think of what he/she has planned next.

I kind of played this game when Code Geass came out, tried to see if I could outsmart Lelouch. It was actually pretty easy (since viewers could see everything he's doing on TV). And the fact that he's a chess-centric character (brilliant, thinks a dozen steps ahead, but falls completely apart when something entirely unexpected happens).

Now Tabane, on the other hand--even the readers have no idea what she's doing or planning most of the time. Trying to outthink her--that's a challenge.
Old 2011-05-11, 22:34   Link #1274
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Thing is, is it solely to test the abilities of the personal IS? Putting in a system that makes the damn Golems outright lethal to an IS user (the ability to circumvent shields) is pretty irresponsible--then again, Tabane's already way into mad scientist territory. There's a strong possibility that Tabane's golems have only figured for the capabhility of Akatsubaki and Byakushiki being able to deal with them, and not so much other Personal IS? Or else she's overestimated the capacities of the other pilots.
her other purpose for doing that was to force chifuyu to bring out her personal IS

raising the danger raised the possibility

so yeah...
Old 2011-05-11, 22:37   Link #1275
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Not the immediate reason. What is the reason behind the reason? Or (to put it in another way) the reason behind the reason behind the reason?

Motivations are like onions--the surface reasion may not be the cut-and-dried husk it seems to be. Yes, Tabane wants to see Chifuyu in action in an IS again, but why? And after that why, why?

...again, I'm probably giving the author too much credit!
Old 2011-05-11, 23:09   Link #1276
Javiersansano

Basically, you are talking about her final purpose, right?
Old 2011-05-11, 23:24   Link #1277
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Not necessarily the what of her ultimate purpose, but the why. I'm pretty sure that if Tabane was a normal person she wouldn't have to go through this convoluted way of getting things done.
Old 2011-05-11, 23:50   Link #1278
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Not necessarily the what of her ultimate purpose, but the why. I'm pretty sure that if Tabane was a normal person she wouldn't have to go through this convoluted way of getting things done.
well, if i were to guess the reasoning:

send drones -> to get chifuyu's IS -> because it's important -> it's probably HAX -> the core might also be special -> tabane needs it -> to take over the world
Old 2011-05-11, 23:54   Link #1279
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Coax justpassingby to help us translate it faster Seriously though, Teh_Ping should be doing a fast job once he concentrate on translating this, although considering his many projects, that won't happen soon :P. As for me, 2-5 pages is the max for me since most of my day is taken for work XD and the majority of the rest is taken for lazing around :P.
@kuroishinigami-san
Quoting my third post in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
@kuroishinigami-san
Sorry, but my English shitsux and my head hurts when I type for long period of time
And I've tried novel translation before, gave up quickly because lol anime :P
Translation note/decryption: My grammar fluctuates as I see fit :P
Extended translation: I don't translate anything that have anime adaptation (The volume 7 epilogue was just for fun). Reason is the anime is either going to be mediocre at best that I'm going to be so upset about it. Though I would like to congratulate and applaud Baka-Tsuki for you guys hard work.

And didn't we agree to drop Infinite Stratos if the author continues to use the same formula? :P

I say this before, and I'll say it again. I like all of the characters, but I'm only interested in spending my time in Tabane and those that got to be called nicely by her: Houki-chan, Chii-chan, Kuu-chan (latest addition), and sadly Ik-kun (bleh, but I have to). And this book is I say 65% on Sarashiki sisters and the remaining are for Houki and the others.

Also, I have many other novels to catch up. If I don't finish them, I'll feel sorry for the books. Picture related. I only managed to finish two of them (I would like to openly thank kuroi for letting me finish vol 07 even before my copy arrived)
Spoiler for April loot:
.Then there is this ARIEL novel (20 volumes) by Sasamoto Yuuichi and I'm planning to reread Gundam UC just for the lol of it

Back to topic (We drift a lot, aren't we?); If anyone ever wonder why I said Kuu-chan is going to wear monkey's ears (didn't stated in the novel, but I think Tabane is going to put it up anyway :P). I quote myself here
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Hmm, my theory is Tabane is a Jade Rabbit and she has a base at Oceanus Procellarum.
^ This is only speculation. No need to take it seriously

Last edited by justpassingby; 2011-05-12 at 01:03.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 01:11   Link #1280
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
And didn't we agree to drop Infinite Stratos if the author continues to use the same formula? :P
i will drop my arms and legs first

Quote:
Sorry, but my English shitsux
noo, i don't think soo- wait, what?

Quote:
(We drift a lot, aren't we?)
okay now i believe you

Tags
blockhead protagonist, comparison, fanservice, harem, manga rebooted, mecha, not dense mc, seinen, shounen