Old 2019-11-25, 12:04   Link #1
KnightShade

Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai Suru

Author - Bokuto Uno
Illustrator - Ruria Miyuki
Publisher - Dengeki Bunko
US License: Yen Press

Quote:
In a certain spring at Kimberly Magic School, where proud, purposeful, and black-robed students go to school with sword-wands on their belts. As they go to school, they meet a line of magical creatures parading under cherry blossom trees. One of the students, Oliver, befriends the new entrants, but his eye stops on a lone girl: Nanao, the "samurai" girl who carries a Japanese sword. The story of their magical swords begins here.
Its from the author of alderamin in the sky and is getting a big push from it's publisher. I'm getting a harry potter vibe from it. I'm hoping this gets picked up soon.

Last edited by LKK; 2020-08-11 at 21:04. Reason: added US license info
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 12:41   Link #2
zztop

This also has a manga adaptation with art by Esuno Sakae ( Future Diary, Big Order).
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=152367

Manga link:
https://comic-walker.com/contents/de...1140010000_68/
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 12:48   Link #3
KnightShade

Definitely gonna check the manga while i wait for this to get picked up.

Also found the illustrations for the latest volume
Spoiler for v4:
Old 2019-12-07, 16:22   Link #4
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShade View Post
getting a big push from it's publisher. I'm getting a harry potter vibe from it.
Decide to check it out after it won the first place for 2019 bookstore clerks most like light novel award, there are 4 books out so far, I am almost finish.

1. It is pretty much an alternative HP, or a story using the HP set up for its structure.

2. The similarity are with 7 years magic academy in quasi Britain, monster right conflict, duel, broom race, even right down to hogsmeade like spot for R&R and other magic academy also exist, etc.

3. Apparently like HP it will cover all 7 grades, but unlike HP the first year took the first 3 books to cover,

4. The school is built on top of an active dungeon, the dungeon at night like HP will also changes its passages with massive appearance of monsters. A most dangerous place.

5. Oh did I mention the school graduation rate is 80%? This is the thing the principle stressed during the new students entry ceremony speech. Those 20% attrition during the 7 years? They died by various causes.

6. The main difference from HP is the way it duel, the concept in a close quarter fight sword is faster than magic, so they used a duel sword+magic way of dueling. The title is about 7 different magic sword which can kill 100% when used, (here we are talking method/magic, not the actual sword itself) hence the title of the book, “7 magic swords which rule the world”

(The title is also a neta, see if any one can pick it up.)

7. Of course being a Japanese light novel, one main character is a samurai girl from quasi Japan.

8. Unlike HP which is designed for PG rating, this book obviously is more hardcore. People start dying in year one, and they broach the subject of sex in year two.

9. For the people who cares. This one has an hidden harem factor/possibility, still too early to tell which direction the author will go with that, but consider the story itself has a major twist compares to HP (reveals in the end of book one). tragic/sad ending is possible, after all, it is the wish of the main girl to fight and died with the protognoist because that is her way of showing her love.

I am not as high on this book as the last bookstore clerks winner Danmachi, but it is still interesting enough for me to want to read more.
Old 2019-12-07, 20:02   Link #5
bakato

From the creator of Alderamin? That explains its high ranking on Sugoi. I'm not a big fan of this artist but I guess I got no choice now.
Old 2019-12-09, 22:31   Link #6
XFire
150% done

I can't stop laughing at the tiny swords
Old 2019-12-09, 23:51   Link #7
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
Decide to check it out after it won the first place for 2019 bookstore clerks most like light novel award, there are 4 books out so far, I am almost finish.

1. It is pretty much an alternative HP, or a story using the HP set up for its structure.

2. The similarity are with 7 years magic academy in quasi Britain, monster right conflict, duel, broom race, even right down to hogsmeade like spot for R&R and other magic academy also exist, etc.

3. Apparently like HP it will cover all 7 grades, but unlike HP the first year took the first 3 books to cover,

4. The school is built on top of an active dungeon, the dungeon at night like HP will also changes its passages with massive appearance of monsters. A most dangerous place.

5. Oh did I mention the school graduation rate is 80%? This is the thing the principle stressed during the new students entry ceremony speech. Those 20% attrition during the 7 years? They died by various causes.

6. The main difference from HP is the way it duel, the concept in a close quarter fight sword is faster than magic, so they used a duel sword+magic way of dueling. The title is about 7 different magic sword which can kill 100% when used, (here we are talking method/magic, not the actual sword itself) hence the title of the book, “7 magic swords which rule the world”

(The title is also a neta, see if any one can pick it up.)

7. Of course being a Japanese light novel, one main character is a samurai girl from quasi Japan.

8. Unlike HP which is designed for PG rating, this book obviously is more hardcore. People start dying in year one, and they broach the subject of sex in year two.

9. For the people who cares. This one has an hidden harem factor/possibility, still too early to tell which direction the author will go with that, but consider the story itself has a major twist compares to HP (reveals in the end of book one). tragic/sad ending is possible, after all, it is the wish of the main girl to fight and died with the protognoist because that is her way of showing her love.

I am not as high on this book as the last bookstore clerks winner Danmachi, but it is still interesting enough for me to want to read more.
Say no more! this is exactly the type of magical battle LN that should have made a long time ago given the material it draws inspiration from. The serious tone is much appreciated!
Old 2019-12-10, 10:08   Link #8
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
I can't stop laughing at the tiny swords
X. Short sword/dagger
O. Wand sword

Quote:
Say no more!
I did try to limited the spoiler to bare minimum, at least what I said so far are all in the manga to the latest chapter (06), anything further along I will put it under spoiler tag. But later on anything to do with discussion of the story will involved the big spoiler from the end of book 1, basically you can not discuss this story ignoring that.

Quote:
this is exactly the type of magical battle LN that should have made a long time ago given the material it draws inspiration from.
I am actually surprised JKR did not sue for plagiary so far.

Quote:
The serious tone is much appreciated!
One thing I like compared to run of the mill LN is the characters, they are distinct, clear and 3D, they do not have cheap god giving power up, you actually see growth in the characters gradually over time, in that sense it is more like Danmachi than all the Iseaki type, you start to like them and root for them. manga art while not quite refine in some places, is a plus IMO.
Old 2019-12-10, 12:15   Link #9
KnightShade

Is the manga translated?

Jkr probably hasnt heard of it and even then Japanese publishers are all about copyright law so the bunko probably ready to fight that battle should it arise

The danmachi similarities are welcomed, very few lns do gradually growing casts well

Last edited by KnightShade; 2019-12-10 at 14:11.
Old 2019-12-14, 06:07   Link #10
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Is the manga translated?
No idea about English, Japanese is at chapter 6 and Chinese at chapter 3, chapter 6 btw is about the middle of chapter 2 in novel book 1, or 1/3 way through the book.
Old 2019-12-16, 16:22   Link #11
chopitos_93

I read the first chapter of the manga and I have a doubt about Pete.

Is he/she a boy or a girl?
chopitos_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-17, 16:32   Link #12
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopitos_93 View Post
I read the first chapter of the manga and I have a doubt about Pete.

Is he/she a boy or a girl?
Peter is a boy's name and in chapter 2 he is shown being roommate with Oliver. so he was a boy, so far.
Old 2020-08-11, 20:50   Link #13
King Demise

I thought more people would talk about this more since it got licensed.

So what year is the cast in now, at the latest volume?
King Demise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-07, 01:38   Link #14
Shadow Angel
Hellraiser

As of the latest volume they'd be on grade 3.
Old 2022-09-08, 01:12   Link #15
Twi

So I picked this series up to read. It's not bad as far as magic academy stories go. Reminds me of those days when edgy Harry Potter fics were a thing up to and including "I can't believe its not sex" magic. Interesting world building too, though the main character and his primary love interest are pretty... meh. The Fifth Years behind Volume 3's main plot were much more endearing.

I think it also got an anime announcement not too long ago.

Edit: Did a review on the series with minor spoilers.

Last edited by Twi; 2022-09-09 at 13:26.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-09, 10:22   Link #16
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

First PV and key visual. J.C.Staff as a studio, average director, decent scriptwriter. Airs in July.

Spoiler:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-09, 10:39   Link #17
Twi

Why is everything coming out this year! I don't have time for all these series!
Old 2023-03-09, 10:46   Link #18
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Oh. I planned to post it in anime thread. Mised that the search showed LN one. (
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-09, 10:57   Link #19
Twi

I did it for you: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthr...96#post6494696
Old 2023-07-25, 13:13   Link #20
carmolita

Finally caught up on this series, japan is on vol 12 when 4th-year starts and 9 is getting ready to be released in 9/2023, anxiously looking forward to number 10 when they go on vacation. Don't think I'll buy the Japanese version for this one because have a lot of series to get caught on.

I really love this series, no overpowered MC, the characters grow into their own, hidden agendas, no fan service but not missed, a serious tone, its dark but not too dark, and it doesn't overdue comedic elements, and they're so direct with adult situations, I like this approach more because it leaves no room for misunderstanding. I love the wand + sword because it can draw in different fighting styles so it doesn't get boring with just endless spellcasting. Like a lot of magical shows. The characters are well-built, and the way they deal with the relationship/feelings part is so realistic, I like the way they explain their emotions. But I have to know everyone's thoughts on Oliver's relationships with the girls.

Shannon- Oliver cousin/sister It seems that her feelings toward him are more so out of guilt for some reason, maybe because she wasn't able to help Oliver out of that brutal training his father put him through breaking his body over and over, no she's wanting to comfort and show him affection because she was unable to.

Guy see's oliver as a good friend but he seems to like kate

Pete- is always being looked after by Oliver, more so because he's a reverse and comes from a non-magical family but he wants to stand on his own without Oliver's help. I never saw Pete get so angry at Oliver then when he (Oliver) turned down Petes, marriage proposal to that girl without even asking him. Oliver sees him as a little brother but Pete wants to be seen as himself and strives to show Oliver he can do things and survive on his own without relying on him.

Katie -Has an attraction to Oliver and most likely loves him/cares for him deeply but he admitted in front of everyone (sword roses) that he is attracted to nanao. If her mind's eye handn't shown her that nanao would succumb to the spell if she and Oliver dual, I wonder if she would have driven the sword through her heart when nanoa asked her to. Katie seems the most open with her affections that she tries to keep nanoa for showing her affections toward Oliver, knowing Nonoa doesn't understand anything with regards to emotions/affections because she has only known war.

Chela -thinks she and Oliver would be a good match, she will not pursue him because she knows he's attracted to someone else but logic dictates otherwise but she will take advantage of the situation if the need arises and dismiss her actions with logic. But I also think she likes Anderson

Oliver has not said who he likes only that he is attracted to nanoa and his brother told him not to rush it, to take things as they come, attraction is important for a mage, it will work itself out and use protection. However in Galetea it was the image of chele that helped him relieve himself from the perfume, he could have used another image but she was very suggestive and he felt sorry to her for being put in that position that she felt she had to help.

but when they went to their version of bowling with magic and nanoa saw oliver accept the trophy with chele and the owner said they would be together. Nonoa started holding her chest and told Katie that she has a pain in her heart/jchest and Katie thinks that nanoa is confused. What could she be confused about? Is it her desire to kill him the more she wants to be by his side or is she mixing up her emotions and don't know what to call them? What is olivers feelings ? These answers must be in vol 10 Any ideas on their thoughts and relationships?

I also wonder if theresa will end up doing something to nonoa out of jealousy and noanoa will not be able to do anything about it because she can't hurt a child (it's a shame she doesn't know she is an assassin). I came across this thought because his siblings are worried about theresa's feelings toward Oliver

I hope the author doesn't end this series like he did alderman in the sky - I'll never forgive him if he did
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic academy, sword and magic